• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Geneon has new distribtution deal?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
according to john of media blasters, he claims geneon has something coming up soon.

"Of course without a doubt but honestly the company that produced it, is not crazy about us anymore. They are the same producers of Claymore = NTV. The are also the producers of the new EVA movies. Unfortunately we did not do that well with otogi zoshi...sh?t happens so we move on and so do they. I was moving on Claymore so long ago it is not funny but they just kept saying nothing and never even sent us screeners and than one day we write to them...of sorry we licensed it to someone else. Life goes on...there will always be another company willing to take my money.

Not to get you guys to excited but I know from a very good source that Geneon is in their final stages of finishing their distribution deal with someone. The source is from pretty high up on the food chain so I trust it. I predict in the next several weeks you will hear an announcement. But my understanding is that Geneon will still be doing licensing and not all titles will go through this distribution deal but I do not have all the details.

You have to understand the Japanese way and it becomes much easier to understand in that Japan companies are realy like a circle jerk. Meaning they all own part of each other. Mitsubishi invests in Index who owns Nikkatsu who owns Media Suits or Mitsubishi invests in Geneon who is owned by Dentsu who owns...you get what I mean."
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Source?
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
last page(76) on the AOD forums ADV thread.

http://animeondvd.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/28321/tp/76/
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's nice to know Geneon is close on a deal. I'm predicting some of the titles possibly being left out are the ones that didn't sell well or are really old and not worth re-issuing (poor Ippo Anime cry). I'm sure we're all awaiting the next installments of Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, Higurashi, etc. And more than likely, they'll probably even announce a license or two when the deal is presented to the public.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe this news one bit, but hey if it's true, that's all the better. If Geneon suddenly rises from the grave in the next couple months, I don't think it would be too late to save themselves and save the reputation of their company somewhat. But they should try to act with some urgency because the longer they stay dead, the harder it will be to resuscitate themselves.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
It's this:
Perfect Blue (On Blue Ray)

...and no it's not Geneon, at least not our Geneon, it's Geneon (Japan) releasing it here. I'm guessing it will be dubless with subtitles like a Bandai Visual release.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
It's this:
Perfect Blue (On Blue Ray)

...and no it's not Geneon, at least not our Geneon, it's Geneon (Japan) releasing it here. I'm guessing it will be dubless with subtitles like a Bandai Visual release.

Crying or Very sad

Oh well, I am glad I read the entire thread, because I was about to get excited.

Still would love to see them release their newest titles though. Hell, most of all of those are paid for anyway. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
They are the parent company to our Geneon USA branch though so maybe if enough people buy they'll realize we still want our @#$%^!& anime and hurry up with reconstructing the company.

Well, I'm always willing to be proven wrong in a matter like this however, if you note the release date it's 2/28/08 which is decidedly soon so it does fit the bill. I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I don't want anybody to get their hopes up too high when that entry has been on the release list for a while. I can definitely see people mixing them up easily.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
no it is not perfect blue

1. it was announced quite awhile ago

2.If you check cdjapans description it does not have subtitles

3.Blu rays are all region by defalt so that proves nothing

4.Its being released by geneon japan, if they had it distributed here that would have cut a deal with someone and there name would be on it, not geneon japan's.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
Interesting. I'll remain skeptical until I actually see an announcement. Especially since this really seems at odds with the news that they were negotiating with Funimation about selling them some of their licenses.

I wonder if there is any chance this is either a miscommunication and they are actually close to reaching a deal with Funimation for their licenses or even perhaps they are working with Funimation still but they are now considering having them distribute for them instead of actually selling off their licenses. Of course, it could certainly still be that they were negotiating with both Funimation about selling off licenses as well as someone else about distributing for them. I'm more inclined to believe there is a connection though.

If this is true it is certainly good news, but for now I'll remain skeptical. Even if it is from someone reputable, who knows where they heard it. It's still 2nd hand gossip at this point.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:52 am Reply with quote
Well, it at least offers some hope. There's light at the end of the tunnel.... as long as it's not a train....
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote
I hope that when they say not all titles will be going thru they mean they don't intend to release older completed titles with high supply and focus their attention on unreleased, partially released, and low supply finished titles. Even if this happens I am curious as to what the future of the next higurashi and nanoha series will be, after taking a hit like this even if they could get out what they already planned could they afford more?
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it could be that they're looking for a distributor for the big stuff, and somebody to handle the smaller titles outright. No reason they couldn't break it up, might save them some money. But I guess we'll find out, hopefully sooner rather thanlater.
Asako

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'll definitely keep up with this Anime hyper

After working so hard to get almost all the Geneon DVDs I don't find this one bit disappointing. I'm happy there's at least a little bit of light on it all Anime smile hmm... but yes I will still be trying to get all the Geneon stuff anyway!

Yayyy!! (now.. about that ADV...)
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Interesting. I'll remain skeptical until I actually see an announcement. Especially since this really seems at odds with the news that they were negotiating with Funimation about selling them some of their licenses.

Hmm, assuming that both the ANN news and this little tidbit in this thread are in fact true(meaning John was talking about Geneon USA). I don't necessarily see how they are at odds with each other. It would stand to reason that Geneon would want to sell off older titles, which FUNimation has already shown they are willing to buy; GTO, Love Hina, etc. Yet Geneon still may want to keep alive with there newest titles and the ones that they stand to make the most money on, like all of the ones in our poor half empty artboxes Crying or Very sad, most of which the dubs have already been paid for. So for me, it doesn't seem unnatural for both of these deals to be going on at once. Assuming they are both true of course. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2