• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do all anime fans want to get into the anime business?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spirit Ace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
From my previous knowledge, all, and I mean all of the people that I know that are "Hard Core" anime fans are looking to become wither voice actors or artists. It seems like it would be fun, but I heard that the pay can be horrible if your not well known, and that it's not really as glamorous as it seems. I'm sure many of you here are looking to get into the business as well, but why ? Would it be your love for the hobby ? Is working in the business a good living ?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
Well, it's natural to want to work in a field you're interested it. I guess it depends on what you mean by "hard core". I find that can often translate to "obsessed/has no life outside of anime". If that is the group you're referring to, it isn't much of a surprise the career path they pick would be in anime. Judging by said people's track record, it also wouldn't be surprising that their decision may not be the most logical or well thought out.

If you just mean people who have a major interest in anime though, all I can say is that you should probably look harder. There are plenty of people who despite their love of anime, do not think such a career would be for them or have decided it would not be a very good or reasonable career.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
Considering how poorly the anime market has been doing since broadband internet became commonplace, I wouldn't consider a career in the anime field to be a wise business decision for anyone who isn't already independently wealthy. Many kids, teens, and even adults apparently see no ethical difference between a legit DVD and a free fansub. Your pay check mainly depends on the few people who think your work is maybe worth a 50% off sale. Since that's little more than enough to cover the costs of licensing, translating, encoding, authoring, pressing, and shipping a series your tiny little slice of the commercial pie is going to be very small indeed.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
Though I would love to work in the Anime industry, it just isn't possible. Not so much the lack of pay, but more like the lack of skills. I don't know Japanese (outside of some simple phrases), I cannot voice act very well, I have no drawing ability. I don't even live in North America or Asia, the only places where one really can work on Anime (note, by North America I mean the English dub and licensing).

I also lack any sort of skills that would take me close to Anime, like being an accountant. Therefore, I can forget about working for ADV and getting their accounts sorted out.

But you know what? I don't mind. Anime is my hobby, and turning it into my job would be counterproductive. It would lessen my enjoyment. I am happy being an avid consumer.

Just my thoughts......

[whoops, fixed my awful typo, which had the effect of changing the meaning of my argument.]

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Considering how poorly the anime market has been doing since broadband internet became commonplace, I wouldn't consider a career in the anime field to be a wise business decision for anyone who isn't already independently wealthy. You can forget about selling to average kids and teens who apparently see no ethical difference between a legit DVD and a free fansub. Your pay check basically depends on the few people who think your work is maybe worth a 50% off sale. Since that's little more than enough to cover the costs of licensing, translating, encoding, authoring, pressing, and shipping a series your tiny little slice of the commercial pie is going to be very small indeed.

True. Even before recent events, but certainly more so due to them, anime was still a career choice, regardless of the role (short of company CEO maybe), that was definitely one you made for love of the medium and not size of the paycheck. Though for many doing what you love and enjoy is worth more than making a lot of money.
Spirit Ace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
Well that's not necessarily true. According to this statement-

The anime market for the United States alone is "worth approximately $4.35 billion, according to the Japan External Trade Organization".

I know that the industry is not in a good place right now, but it is somewhat possible to make a good living in the business. Look at Yuri Lowenthal or Chris Sabat or any other famous voice actors, they make one heck of a paycheck. But that's probably because of their skills and numerous numbers of jobs they get.

But I think that if you truly love to do something, then go for it. Money doesn't always bring happiness. If one works hard and is determined, then the money will follow.
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
I'm maybe semi-hard-core (learning Japanese, listen to anime music mostly, watch and buy quite a bit of anime, read manga) and I have no desire to leave my nice computer-geek job. Not that I really have any skills that would be in demand (except being an IT person in an anime company, but IT jobs are pretty much the same everywhere).
Jih2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I buy anime and manga and have a sizable collection, I go to anime conventions and I talk to people about anime on occasion. Sure, I could be deemed at least slightly obsessive by some but I can't draw and can't speak Japanese. I plan on being a cinema major currently and figure that anime has given me a different perspective with which to view and shoot live action film. My thoughts for my future may change but as of right now that's it. Who knows, I may still end up working for a North American licensing company.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I prefer to consider myself an "active anime fan". I'm not really hardcore since I don't listen to all that much Japanese music and I don't go to conventions or anything. I'm more than the typical modern fan though since I buy a good bit of both anime and manga and believe that supporting the industry is important. Basically I'd be called a casual newbie by real hardcore fans and I'd be called hardcore by casual newbies so I fall in between the two.

To address the topic at hand, no. I have absolutely no interest in being a voice actor or to get involved in anime in any significant way. If I won a billion dollars out of the blue I'd probably want to get involved in a company so that I could get certain titles licensed or made for my own personal enjoyment. It would just be a way to flex my cash though.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I had thought about it as a possibility, like working for a company who has a branch in anime, like Bandai. Sales marketing perhaps. But right now, I don't see that in the near future, but maybe I'll look at opening a store when I have enough money. As for right now, I'm not interested in it right now until I see what happens after I get my degree.
Morbo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if working in the Anime business would be the best thing for a fan. I work in the mortgage industry (at least until my company joins all the rest and shuts down, but that's another story) and before I started, the whole process of buying a house was a mystery to me. It was something special that you only do a few times in your life, if even that. Now, the whole process is so common place to me that when I bought my own house it felt like just another loan for me to deal with. Granted, knowing what I know helped me avoid typical mistakes and saved me some money but I just wasn't as excited as I would have been if I wasn't so familiar with everything. It was the same when I worked in travel, worse even because I saw the ugly side of travel, and it is ugly with a capital U-G-L-Y!

Maybe working in the anime industry would be different but I don't know if I could get that same feeling from watching something like Haibane for example if I knew all the voice actors as co-workers or had taken part in writing some of the dialogue. What if the voice actress for Rakka was a jerk (I'm sure she isn't)? Would I really be able to care about a character that sounds like someone I don't like?

In other words, I'd like to leave the man behind the curtain alone.
Spirit Ace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Morbo wrote:
I don't know if working in the Anime business would be the best thing for a fan. I work in the mortgage industry (at least until my company joins all the rest and shuts down, but that's another story) and before I started, the whole process of buying a house was a mystery to me. It was something special that you only do a few times in your life, if even that. Now, the whole process is so common place to me that when I bought my own house it felt like just another loan for me to deal with. Granted, knowing what I know helped me avoid typical mistakes and saved me some money but I just wasn't as excited as I would have been if I wasn't so familiar with everything. It was the same when I worked in travel, worse even because I saw the ugly side of travel, and it is ugly with a capital U-G-L-Y!

Maybe working in the anime industry would be different but I don't know if I could get that same feeling from watching something like Haibane for example if I knew all the voice actors as co-workers or had taken part in writing some of the dialogue. What if the voice actress for Rakka was a jerk (I'm sure she isn't)? Would I really be able to care about a character that sounds like someone I don't like?

Well the fact of knowing the person behind the character interests certain people. But you do prove a point. Most actual voice actors are actors who somehow ended up in the industry. But some may just find working in anime a dream come true, but some watch it just for self benefit. I guess it all depends on perspective.
F_urn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I am learning to speak Japanese so I would like to be able to use that in my job, and if I could work in anime that would be even more fun. But that is definatly not a priority for me, as anythink I can do to retain my knowlage will do just fine. It would be nice to be in the industry to be able to talk about anime with others, but I can do that with my friends just fine.

That aside I have to say I would be happy if I was able to work in the industry.
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Morbo wrote:

Very good points (I know other people have also stated similar points, but I'm just replying to this one). It would be interesting for one of the people working at ANN to tell us how working in an anime related field did to their perspectives on anime.

I also found it extremely interesting that you registered in 2004 but have only one post.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty comfortable with my current level of involvement, as it allows me to (peripherally) participate without getting tied up in the performance or business aspects of the industry. I love to go into detailed commentary on things, so being a reviewer is an ideal creative outlet for me.

Granted, I do have aspirations as a fiction writer, and have done some professional work in RPGs, but those creative interests/goals are, for me, entirely separate from my anime interest.

As to whether involvement has affected my hobby? There have been times when it's pained me a bit to have to watch/read something only for review purposes, and times when I've felt confined by having to watch/read something with a critical eye rather than just for enjoyment, but that's been balanaced out by material that I've taken a real liking to that I might never have checked out if I had not received it for review purposes. (Koi Kaze and Kanon immediately spring to mind here, but each year there have been a handful of such titles.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2