• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Opinions on Promised Neverland S2?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:58 am Reply with quote
Recently,I heard that Toonami's going to broadcast the dubbed version of the second season of "The Promised Neverland" anime. Now,here's the thing. I'm going in blind because I've never seen the series before. If you guys wanna know,I like my anime dubbed into English. It's a lot easier for me to tolerate that way. But,hearing that a lot of people don't like this new season,makes me wonder. What am I in for?
I've heard a lot about this anime and not a lot of it is good. One YouTube channel seems to sum up how a lot of people feel about this show and that is one word,PAIN. I know that there are many people who have seen this show already,so without spoiling it for me,I ask again. What sort of show am I in for?

[EDIT: Made the title less long-winded. -TK]
Nekomo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 am Reply with quote
Having read the manga I HATED season 2 because they cut out all the great parts like Goldy Pond as well as some great characters like Lucas and Yuugo, but if you had not read the manga then season 2 would be good. I've seen on lots of internet polls that most people who watched season 2 were fine with it, so I would say go for it.

BUT BE WARNED!!!
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:19 am Reply with quote
I must confess,I haven't read the manga,Nekomo. As I said before,I'm going in blind,not having seen it previously. Thanks for telling me. It's something for me to consider.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:55 am Reply with quote
I watched it before reading the manga and I thought it was okay?

It does feel rushed but I was never bored or thinking "boy, this sucks". More like "I wish this was longer."

I am now reading the manga to find out why people hate it so much...but I haven't gotten to the different parts yet....aside from a pretty small arc about spoiler[carnivore plants] that was no big deal to skip.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:05 am Reply with quote
Well Chiibi,I also did see the end of the series,and if I'm honest,I didn't have quite the negative reaction other people had. In fact,I got kinda emotional about it. Yeah,I admit that it was a truncated version of the series,but I didn't think it was as bad as other people thought it was. In fact,I rather liked it. If you want to know how I felt about it in greater detail,go to the Series Discussion section and find "The Promised Neverland" thing and read it. Also,feel free to comment on it.
I'd like to know what you and others thought of it. So,please do that. I'd like that and it would be appreciated greatly.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:09 am Reply with quote
As someone who has not read the manga, season 2 swiftly devolved into an utter narrative trainwreck that bordered on self-parody. Literally every single thing that made the first season a modern masterpiece was swiftly thrown out the window. Tight plotting, strong characterizations, a slow burn of looming horror...all thrown away in favor of a literal speedrun of what was obviously dozens of chapters of the source material. By the end I was straight-up laughing as it tried desperately to get me to care about the motivations of a "villain" who got all of 5 minutes' worth of screen-time in the entire season and whom I knew or cared nothing about. And that final slideshow...dear lord, the balls on someone to actually put that to digital paper and pretend it was acceptable. I don't know what horrific combination of events led to this travesty, but I would have much rather had no continuation at all if what we were going to get was that insulting.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:15 am Reply with quote
Well,Top Gun. You basically say things I've already heard before. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that someone would say that the second season was done with all the storytelling ability of someone pushing fast forward on a videotape in an old VCR. To say that this was a truncated or a Cliff Notes version of a much longer story are legitimate criticisms to have. Personally,I didn't have too many problems with it.
Could it have been better? Yeah. But for me,I'm not going to complain too much. The show was good,in spite of all it's problems. I didn't really have too many hang ups with this show. It was a decent show that didn't really make me too upset. Maybe,they can do better next time with this. All in all,this wasn't a heinously bad anime. It could have been done a little better,but the show I saw wasn't enough to make me explode in anger like Mount St. Helens did.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:58 am Reply with quote
I am now a bit further into the manga...and it changes once the children reach the shelter. The anime cut a character completely out...so I can see why people are mad.
(I think the character's pretty mean right now though lol)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1