• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon TV Anime Gets 'Part II' Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the last episode yet, but this isn't surprising. And I mean that plot wise, not quality wise. There was no way things were going to wrap up neatly by the next episode. I imagine this was planned for quite a while.

Unless this last episode is great and the 1st episode next season shows a marked increase in comparison to this season, I think I'll be sitting it out.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:32 am Reply with quote
I’m not the type to rain on the joy of others so I’m glad fans can expect more, but me myself called it a wrap after 15. Idk what it was but something about this series bored me to absolute tears. Only reason I stuck around that long was to see what happened to Inuyasha and Kagome, and that was just barely even touched on. Not to mention there’s about 50 different plot holes that I doubt could be explained well even with the second season. It’s like they just tossed the canon out the window and went wild with the story. Maybe I’m just overthinking things but I just find it hard to believe how all these disastrous events and powerful items could fly completely under the radar by everyone in the og series.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:47 am Reply with quote
The reaction to Yashahime reminds me of Gundam SEED Destiny which was universally hated in NA fandom but it was popular in Japan for years which was also a sequel to a Sunrise series.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:55 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The reaction to Yashahime reminds me of Gundam SEED Destiny which was universally hated in NA fandom but it was popular in Japan for years which was also a sequel to a Sunrise series.

Kinda reminds me how apparently Wing is considered not really that popular of a series over in Japan as it is in NA fandom due to Toonami nostalgia. I mean in comparison to the original UC shows in Japan. Which no wonder then Seed was popular because it's closely modelled off the UC shows.
Ann917813

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:25 am Reply with quote
Awesome news! I really enjoyed Yashahime!
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:51 am Reply with quote
SailorNaruto wrote:
I’m not the type to rain on the joy of others so I’m glad fans can expect more, but me myself called it a wrap after 15. Idk what it was but something about this series bored me to absolute tears. Only reason I stuck around that long was to see what happened to Inuyasha and Kagome, and that was just barely even touched on.

I find that this is my biggest issue with Yashahime. It was just boring for me. I didn’t go into it expecting another Inuyasha but I was expecting at least something entertaining.

As some have pointed out, the thing Yashahime lacks are goals worth caring about. Inuyasha did have that. It was fun seeing where the shards of the Shikon Jewel ended up and what new ancient Japanese monsters/demons we’d see. Pacing wasn’t perfect, but at the least the one-shot filler stuff between main plot episodes were enjoyable.

In Yashahime, why exactly should we care about Towa finding the Dream Butterfly for Setsuna? Because she’s her sister? Setsuna doesn’t seem to care and the Dream Butterfly curse isn’t causing anything worse than an inability to dream and sleep. It would’ve been more dire if they added things like maybe she keeps on losing her memories or that Setsuna actually gives a damn about not being able to sleep.

And man, poor Moroha. Talk about a waste of a great character. She embodies the best of both her parents. But it feels like she’s just there to represent them. They could’ve made her eager to find her lost family, but instead she’s just focused on being a bounty hunter and the only family figure she cares about is a brand new character from the Wolf Demon tribe (why not just use Koga and/or Ayame?)

And don’t get me started on the parents. Why exactly should I care about what is happening with Kagome, Inuyasha, and Sesshomaru if not even their own children do?

I know I’m just repeating things that critics have already said, but these things really do bother me. I can only hope that Part 2 somehow rectifies this because I DO want to enjoy Yashahime.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:55 am Reply with quote
I understand I am not the intended audience for this show. Mainly interested to see how hot a mess the ending is going to be. I'll probably be disappointed and it will just be a dead pan ending, considering the lack of emotional weight everyone has in this show.
Adv193

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Well I agree a Second season is needed as it is better not to end on a cliffhanger which I actively despise. From an adventure standpoint I have been enjoying this series, as it still proves the girls need more experience to take down Kirinmaru.

On a Gundam note I felt the Cosmic Era's main flaw (SEED and Destiny) was too much storytelling and not enough action. Their cramming everything in the conclusion of Destiny was awful as it made the final battle too one-sided. Hopefully it doesn't go like that in Yashahime, it least I enjoyed Gundam 00.
Black_Kenshi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Even if Yashahime churned out a banger of a 2nd season, it's too little too late for me. For the reasons already eloquently discussed in the thread, I dropped the season somewhere halfway through since I wasn't getting any enjoyment out of it. Ever since the beginning, the story gave me no reason to care about the main cast or their motivations to do The Thing. I have enough stuff to watch on my list to waste time watching something that I'm getting absolutely nothing out of in the hope that something improves.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I expect either the story conclusion in the second season or a My Hero Academia-length show.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Well that was inevitable, I'm generally surprised the TV ranking for the second to last was at third place. So been a fan of this franchise since 2002 and I thoroughly enjoyed every episode that released. Like so much that on average, I watch like 20 to 30 shows a season and I would go out of my way to watch Yashahime. The last scene of this season was one of my favorite scenes in the entire franchise.

Does I think this show has issues? yeah I do but I also had issues with the original show. That being said, I still prefer Inuyasha over this spin off. I think the production break between the two seasons will give the production staff enough time to look over the criticism that this production has received and perform some minor course correction to appeal to more fans. Personally I think Yashahime will last around 72 episodes, each block with a different girl as a focus. So like the next season will focus on Setsuna and the current poster is just a red herring.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:02 am Reply with quote
I got a love hate relationship with YashaHime. I love the girls; I hate the writers, who seemingly hate the girls, especially Moroha, who is Best Girl and deserves to be in a show that doesn’t give her a miserable backstory and sidelines her constantly.

And I like Towa and Setsuna, too. They may not be as dynamic as Moroha, but they’re fun to watch.

Key The bad writing in YashaHime has nothing to do with romance or lack thereof, and everything to do with not clarifying the plot or the characters—especially the villains and Sesshomaru’s—goals and motivations.
tomdean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:15 am Reply with quote
if, Inuyasha, after 10 years of being locked up in your father's grave, with nothing to do all day except to *ç%& your newly wed wife, and they STILL don't have a brother and sister for Moroha, the series is flawed
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:59 am Reply with quote
tomdean wrote:
if, Inuyasha, after 10 years of being locked up in your father's grave, with nothing to do all day except to *ç%& your newly wed wife, and they STILL don't have a brother and sister for Moroha, the series is flawed

If they are in a box, or a roomier tomb, then I hope they are in suspended animation, because if they aren't, then they have already killed each other. There are not going to be any children, unless by grave you mean a "pocket universe". And if they are in a pocket universe, then they could have brought Moroha in with them.

After thinking and writing about this, Inu Yashi and Kagome could have brought their baby in with them, instead of being raised by figurative wolves. But I guess they didn't have much choice in the matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3