• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Remove Love Live! School Idol Project Season 2, 5 centimeters per second, Voice

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Ozzy4k wrote:
Crunchyroll is Slowly being swept under the rug for Funimation in a few years funi will be the main streaming service and crunchyroll will die out . It really sucks cus cru crunchyroll has the better site/apps and actually has some kind of customer service . Funimation has gone full corporate they only respond with template emails and don’t ever do anything to fix any of there problems ex: the subtitle background on ps5

Crunchyroll's Roku app, since their update to a new app a while back, is the absolute worst streaming app I have seen on any platform and I cancelled our subscription because it eas literally impossible to watch anything. If they can't improve their app, then they can't die soon enough in my opinion.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote
It sucks to see this happen, but I guess that's the reality of expiring licenses and the like. At least with something like the Ultraman series, I've been watching a good lot of them on their Youtube channel, which I was introduced to when I found Ultraman Z was released there (two week limit for each new simulcast episode at the time). Also watched The Absolute Conspiracy there (and dubbed, whoa). So I guess they'll be pushing that more, especially if Ultraman Trigger is premiering there as well.

Love Live? Yeah, maybe Funimation will sweep in and grab the rights once it lapses. Would imagine they'll have to still remove the show first before rereleasing it. Maybe rights regarding subtitles? I don't know.
dragonquiz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Zendervai wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
Won't be surprised if CR may remove Aniplex animes in the nearly future. CR is really going downhill nowadays.

Why would Crunchyroll remove Aniplex stuff? They're owned by the same company now. These losses specifically all seem to be unrelated to what Crunchyroll wants. Like, Shinkai's a pretty big deal now, so the chances that someone else is going after the movie licenses is pretty high, Ultraman is in the hands of Mill Creek and Shout Factory and Love Live was a NIS America sublicense and that company has given up on anime, pretty much.

For Aniplex, Crunchyroll and Funimation are the most convenient ways they have to stream anime in North America because they all have the same parent company, so arbitrarily yanking the streaming license makes absolutely no sense.

Cr and Funi are not under the same parent, as it has to go through regulatory hurdles and other corporate shinaganins, hence its called an acquisition. And once it does go through I doubt that sony will have two services doing the same thing, so either they'll merge both and do an all on one streaming service or merge one of the two into each other and also at an awkward timing since the beta site for cr is 1000% better than the current site and looks way more to todays standard.

Now the trouble for cr x sony would be for vrv and how that'll affect ones who currently have a vrv premium sub and connect that to cr. (e.g. me)
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:28 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
I do not want Funimation to merge with Crunchyroll, after what I've read what's gone on behind the scenes, they're pretty much the Channel Awesome of anime dubbing companies/streaming services.

That's a pretty big accusation, you mind elaborating on that one?
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:01 am Reply with quote
Oh, the Shinkai movies are leaving. I remember first watching them on CR (with a region-unblocker of course), and while I never liked the way The Place Promised was released on the site, I can't deny feeling a bit nostalgic. Glad that I own all three on DVD/Blu-ray nowadays.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:47 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:
I do not want Funimation to merge with Crunchyroll, after what I've read what's gone on behind the scenes, they're pretty much the Channel Awesome of anime dubbing companies/streaming services.

Besides the infamous leaks and accusations that happened before, there's a lot of nepotism and infighting behind the scenes, some of the VAs even being anti-Semitic and xenophobic, creating a toxic, unsafe work environment, after Freeman was arrested they didn't even fire him right away, thus adding to that, harassing their fans over different beliefs or even for liking stuff like light novels and such, the president being useless to stop it, basically, everything on how not to run an anime dubbing studio, the "Terrible TV Shows" Miraheze wiki actually lists a lot of stuff:

https://terribletvshows.miraheze.org/wiki/Funimation_(2015-present)
https://terribletvshows.miraheze.org/wiki/Christopher_Robin_Sabat_(2007-present)
https://terribletvshows.miraheze.org/wiki/Sean_Schemmel
https://terribletvshows.miraheze.org/wiki/Jamie_Marchi_(2019-present)

(Dunno if ANN allows these links but if they don't I apologize ahead of time)

Take what you will; even if they're still running, Funimation is dead to me after I've found this out.

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
RealMTL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quote
This is why it's hard for me to convince myself to use Crunchyroll premium. It always seems like my favorite shows/movies just don't stay on the platform, and I like rewatching anime a lot too.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:03 pm Reply with quote
dragonquiz wrote:
Cr and Funi are not under the same parent, as it has to go through regulatory hurdles and other corporate shinaganins, hence its called an acquisition. And once it does go through I doubt that sony will have two services doing the same thing

A single company having multiple "brands" doing the "same thing" is hardly unknown. I would not take a merger as a given.

It's not impossible that both brands continue to exist, but re-positioned into different market segments.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:34 am Reply with quote
The place promised in our early days makes sense since its a sentai film works property. Crunchy has been slowly removing sentai content here and there from VRV as well over the last year.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:

Besides the infamous leaks and accusations that happened before, there's a lot of nepotism and infighting behind the scenes, some of the VAs even being anti-Semitic and xenophobic, creating a toxic, unsafe work environment, after Freeman was arrested they didn't even fire him right away, thus adding to that, harassing their fans over different beliefs or even for liking stuff like light novels and such, the president being useless to stop it, basically, everything on how not to run an anime dubbing studio, the "Terrible TV Shows" Miraheze wiki actually lists a lot of stuff:

https://terribletvshows.miraheze.org/wiki/Funimation_(2015-present)
https://terribletvshows.miraheze.org/wiki/Christopher_Robin_Sabat_(2007-present)
https://terribletvshows.miraheze.org/wiki/Sean_Schemmel
https://terribletvshows.miraheze.org/wiki/Jamie_Marchi_(2019-present)

Take what you will; even if they're still running, Funimation is dead to me after I've found this out.

I only had to click on the Chris article to see that this site is rolling in debunked conspiracy theories. The casting couch accusation was proposed by Chuck Huber during the Vic situation. There's absolutely nothing to it. Seems like the site is purporting itself as a "wiki" but is merely Pro-Vic apologia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Besides the infamous leaks and accusations that happened before, there's a lot of nepotism and infighting behind the scenes, some of the VAs even being anti-Semitic and xenophobic,

I think these statements need a lot of clarifications. Most of them are based on rumours created by people who already don't like Funimation for other, unrelated reasons and make these false allegations, or exaggerate them because they want to hurt the company.

Most importantly, they all deal with the voice actors. Voice actors are a really small part of Funimation. They have nothing to do with the corporate management of funimation, the marketing, the licensing, etc. As actors, they aren't even employees, they're contractors hired on a show-by-show basis and they work for multiple companies. It's like saying you don't like Walt Disney because of something Bruce Willis did.

Quote:

The staff are debating removing those links, but I think they should stay. I think the information on the links is complete trash, but it's not racist, trollish, whatever.

Most of the complaints in the two working links are that the actors in question (not Funimation staff, just contractor actors) participated in #kickvic, and have left-wing politics. Two non-employee actors being leftwing does not make a company bad. The link even mischaracterizes a comment made by Marchi that was intended to be an attack on what she felt was racist behaviour as being racist itself.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:32 am Reply with quote
I mean Crunchyroll has not exactly been a shining beacon of professional treatment of employees themselves with their history of low pay rates for subtitle translators but that doesn't seem to get as much anger on the Internet as Funimation dub drama. But if you're looking for guilt free consumption of pop culture media, most companies in the world are not 100% free of any issues. Because companies at the end of the day are not your friends and are there to make money and to sell you a product. In regards to the expiring shows, I won't be surprised if Funimation eventually gets the original Love Live and GKids will probably eventually pick up those Makoto Shinkai movies. The big loss for me here is the Ultraman titles as some of the titles leaving have still not been released by Mill Creek yet.
AZLeafCat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:15 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
The place promised in our early days makes sense since its a sentai film works property. Crunchy has been slowly removing sentai content here and there from VRV as well over the last year.

While Sentai does have The Garden of Words and used to have The Children Who Chase Lost Voices in print, I don’t think The Place Promised In Our Early Days or Voices of a Distant Star are currently licensed to Sentai or its partner streaming service HiDive. Both Places and Voices (along with 5 Centimeters Per Second) were licensed to ADV Films.

While 5 Centimeters Per Second is now licensed to Discotek (with the Bandai produced Bang Zoom dub instead of the ADV dub), the former two earlier Shinkai works don’t have a recent North America BD release. Hope that Discotek or GKIDS pick up both films for North America. As for the UK, Anime Limited has a double feature Region B BD available (with both Places and Voices and their ADV dubs).
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:40 pm Reply with quote
AZLeafCat wrote:
While 5 Centimeters Per Second is now licensed to Discotek (with the Bandai produced Bang Zoom dub instead of the ADV dub), the former two earlier Shinkai works don’t have a recent North America BD release. Hope that Discotek or GKIDS pick up both films for North America. As for the UK, Anime Limited has a double feature Region B BD available (with both Places and Voices and their ADV dubs).

Correction on 5 Centimeters per Second.

1. Crunchyroll is (or I guess was now) master licensor for that film and both Bandai and Discotek got their video rights from them.

2. Bandai had nothing to do with the Bang Zoom dub, that was all on the film's producer, Comix Wave.

Source

Quote:
Regarding the all-new dub, CoMix Wave Films elected to create a new dub to be more true to the original Japanese. This was not an issue of quality of the acting from the ADV Films version, but rather a translation/presentation issue.

Considering the ADV dub was by Steven Foster, I think it's safe to guess why they didn't like it.
AZLeafCat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Correction on 5 Centimeters per Second.

1. Crunchyroll is (or I guess was now) master licensor for that film and both Bandai and Discotek got their video rights from them.

2. Bandai had nothing to do with the Bang Zoom dub, that was all on the film's producer, Comix Wave.

Source

Quote:
Regarding the all-new dub, CoMix Wave Films elected to create a new dub to be more true to the original Japanese. This was not an issue of quality of the acting from the ADV Films version, but rather a translation/presentation issue.

Considering the ADV dub was by Steven Foster, I think it's safe to guess why they didn't like it.

Given that Discotek just recently re-released 5 Centimeters Per Second on Blu-ray, its likely Discotek has its license from Comix Wave Films directly.

I did hear that Comix Wave Films requested the new dub. I looked at the English credits and it seems the English Language version (the dub) is credited solely to Bang Zoom. However, there are also credits listed for the English Version (2010), which credit Crunchyroll and Bandai Entertainment. The latter could represent the original Crunchyroll/Bandai disc release rather than the dub.

I recently got the Anime Limited Voices/Places Double Feature BD, and having viewed both with the ADV dubs, I wouldn’t be surprised if both get re-dubbed if a new NA distributor picks it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2