• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Tofu-Kozou from Kitarou is simply a yokai that carries tofu. He's no threat to anyone and gets bullied by humans. My comment was meant more generally and not specifically addressed to the plot of this story.

I could be wrong but I don't think @johan eriksson was referring specifically to Slime but rather fantasy in general. IMO it depends on whether the show can establish a good unreasonable reason, as difficult as that might sound. If one fantasy race eats the other then it's not racism to fear them: that's just prey-predator dynamics. On the other hand, if the discrimination is borne from misconceptions, for instance: they only think the other fantasy race eats them because that race looks scary, then I think that might be a better case. Do some yokai eat humans in Kitarou?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:10 pm Reply with quote
@Johan Eriksson 9003 I think you greatly underestimate the likelihood of retaliation in the case of killing the leaders or holding their army hostage. For the former, it’s not difficult to think of fairly recent example of killing a military commander leading to retaliation against the ones who did it (which was also an example of underestimating the possibility of retaliation for such a strike) (I’m referring to the assassination of Qasem Soleimani by US drone strike, if it wasn’t clear). For the hostage taking situation, I think it could make the call for an international coalition to put them down more compelling. Certainly, they would still be alive, but for it to force them to the negotiating table, they would have to believe there was a serious threat that they would execute the prisoners, which would be a war crime. Since they have declared a holy war against the monsters, I don’t think their first instinct will be to negotiate with them or surrender, at least without significant losses. If anything, they would be inclined to call their bluff and either martyr some of their soldiers and make Tempest look bad, have them release the soldiers with no concessions and plan for the next attack and make more certain that they have taken out Rimuru before taking out Tempest, or stall until the international force can rescue them and subjugate Tempest. It’s hard to think of a situation where hostage takers don’t end up looking like villains to most people, whereas it’s easier to frame honorably killing invaders on the battlefield as justifiable self-defense.

Of course they need to follow the rules of war, but the accusations I’ve seen here that he would violate them are based purely on speculation, assuming he would kill innocent civilians if they’re weren’t an invading army coming, assuming he wouldn’t accept their surrender in order to kill them, assuming that they would surrender without great losses. Ultimately we need to see what happens this next episode to see how it happens instead of going off our darkest imaginings of how it plays out. We can discuss how he goes about getting those 10,000 souls after we actually see how he does it (and no, source material readers, this is not me asking for how it goes down, so I don’t want to see the answer now, even in spoiler tags). Personally, I’m not ruling out stuff like half killing 20,000 to get 10,000, but we will have to wait to see.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Tofu-Kozou from Kitarou is simply a yokai that carries tofu. He's no threat to anyone and gets bullied by humans. My comment was meant more generally and not specifically addressed to the plot of this story.

I could be wrong but I don't think @johan eriksson was referring specifically to Slime but rather fantasy in general. IMO it depends on whether the show can establish a good unreasonable reason, as difficult as that might sound. If one fantasy race eats the other then it's not racism to fear them: that's just prey-predator dynamics. On the other hand, if the discrimination is borne from misconceptions, for instance: they only think the other fantasy race eats them because that race looks scary, then I think that might be a better case. Do some yokai eat humans in Kitarou?

Yes, I believe a few do, particularly some of the classic monsters from Japanese folklore, but as I recall it's rare. Yokai do threaten humans, and Kitarou and company usually must step in to administer justice. In one impressive sequence, tanuki conduct an assault on Tokyo, overthrow the elected government, and rule by intimidation. So the interactions between yokai and humans in the Kitarou stories can operate at a much different level than simply monsters eating humans. In some episodes the villains are humans who are degrading the physical world by activities like constructing golf courses.

The world of yokai in the Kitarou stories is diverse with some good ones and some bad ones.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
@Johan Eriksson 9003 I think you greatly underestimate the likelihood of retaliation in the case of killing the leaders or holding their army hostage. For the former, it’s not difficult to think of fairly recent example of killing a military commander leading to retaliation against the ones who did it (which was also an example of underestimating the possibility of retaliation for such a strike) (I’m referring to the assassination of Qasem Soleimani by US drone strike, if it wasn’t clear). For the hostage taking situation, I think it could make the call for an international coalition to put them down more compelling. Certainly, they would still be alive, but for it to force them to the negotiating table, they would have to believe there was a serious threat that they would execute the prisoners, which would be a war crime. Since they have declared a holy war against the monsters, I don’t think their first instinct will be to negotiate with them or surrender, at least without significant losses. If anything, they would be inclined to call their bluff and either martyr some of their soldiers and make Tempest look bad, have them release the soldiers with no concessions and plan for the next attack and make more certain that they have taken out Rimuru before taking out Tempest, or stall until the international force can rescue them and subjugate Tempest. It’s hard to think of a situation where hostage takers don’t end up looking like villains to most people, whereas it’s easier to frame honorably killing invaders on the battlefield as justifiable self-defense.

Of course they need to follow the rules of war, but the accusations I’ve seen here that he would violate them are based purely on speculation, assuming he would kill innocent civilians if they’re weren’t an invading army coming, assuming he wouldn’t accept their surrender in order to kill them, assuming that they would surrender without great losses. Ultimately we need to see what happens this next episode to see how it happens instead of going off our darkest imaginings of how it plays out. We can discuss how he goes about getting those 10,000 souls after we actually see how he does it (and no, source material readers, this is not me asking for how it goes down, so I don’t want to see the answer now, even in spoiler tags). Personally, I’m not ruling out stuff like half killing 20,000 to get 10,000, but we will have to wait to see.

1) The example you are using is from a very different situation. Assassinating a military leader in an ongoing war on their own soil is an act of aggression and that is obviously going to invite retaliation. Killing a military leader in a battle THEY INITIATED in order to force the rest of the army to surrender and thus sparing their lives, especially if you also make them sign a peace-treaty is not going to have the same result. Hell, if they did try to retaliate after having signed a treaty and being treated with such restraint, they would immediately become pariahs among the other nations.

2) What do you think "taking hostages" in this situation means? We aren't talking about capturing children or random soldiers here, we are talking about capturing the actual leaders of the attack and thus forcing them to accept terms of surrender. In medieval warfare that's how you win.

3) Self-defence is only applicable if the nation is in danger and there is absolutely no army that won't surrender if their leadership is captured. Rimuru is far too powerful for this army to pose any real threat to Tempest while he is there. With his power, he can easily disable the army with minimal casualties so there is absolutely no need to kill a large number of soldiers to make them surrender. Killing the army would be willful murder on his part. Pure and simple.

4) Again, Rimuru has made it perfectly clear that he intends to kill all 20 000 soldiers. No caveats or ultimatums were ever mentioned. He could end up not doing that, but it is deeply disingenuous to act as if we are just making shit up and not simply taking him at his word. And again, he has more than enough power to simply take out the key figures without harming anyone else so if he "happens" to kill thousands of people before they surrender because he chose to not go with the non-lethal option, that is on him.

5) There is literally no ethical way to "get" 10 000 people to slaughter for a dark ritual to reverse the laws of life and death. If you treat people's lives like a currency like that, you are just plain evil, no matter who those people happen to be. I am honestly disturbed by that last line of yours.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:42 pm Reply with quote
^The last line is referring to the theory brought up earlier in the thread that he would take half the souls of the 20,000 soldiers, getting you the 10,000 “souls” he needs to revive his people, while leaving all of those 20,000 soldiers alive, which would mean there are no casualties on either side.

I’ve said all I have to say about the subject, at least until the next episode comes out, so I’ll leave it at that.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:35 am Reply with quote
Johan Eriksson 9003 wrote:

2) What do you think "taking hostages" in this situation means? We aren't talking about capturing children or random soldiers here, we are talking about capturing the actual leaders of the attack and thus forcing them to accept terms of surrender. In medieval warfare that's how you win.

3) Self-defence is only applicable if the nation is in danger and there is absolutely no army that won't surrender if their leadership is captured. Rimuru is far too powerful for this army to pose any real threat to Tempest while he is there. With his power, he can easily disable the army with minimal casualties so there is absolutely no need to kill a large number of soldiers to make them surrender. Killing the army would be willful murder on his part. Pure and simple.

In your statements that Rimuru could stop the invasion by taking the leaders hostage, or repelling their forces without inflicting much damage, I think you are severely overestimating Rimuru's position.

It is true Rimuru has the advantage over the invading force, but it is only because the Church thinks he was killed by Hinata Sakaguchi. She is the leader of the Church's imperial guard, and we have already seen that she is more than powerful enough to kill Rimuru.

If the Church was aware that Rimuru was still alive, there is no doubt that Hinata would be at the head of the invasion force, probably along with more members of the imperial guard. Judging from the result of his first fight with Hinata, Rimuru would have almost no chance of winning. He would most likely be killed this time, since Hinata would be on the lookout to figure out how he survived his previous defeat.

This is the one and only time that Rimuru will have the upper hand when facing these forces. If Rimuru merely repelled the invasion force with only inflicting light damage, the force would soon return, but this time with Hinata and the imperial guard at the lead. Taking the leaders hostage would end up with the same result.

Think about it for a moment, if Rimuru takes the leaders hostage, forces them to agree to a truce (by threatening to kill them?), then what? Let them go? Then they just regroup with Hinata and the Church's imperial guard and invade again. I doubt they would feel any obligation to honor any truce they agreed to under threat of death, especially a truce with monsters. It seems unlikely that Rimuru would be able to hold them hostage indefinitely, since he cannot kill them and I doubt Rimuru would be able to stop Hinata from ultimately rescuing them.

Unlike the current invasion force, Rimuru and Tempest face two other threats that they cannot handle at their level of power: the above-mentioned Hinata Sakaguchi and the Demon Lord Clayman. Rimuru understands this, and he stated that does provides some of his motivation to become a Demon Lord, along with the hope of reviving his slain friends and subjects. Rimuru has realized that unless he obtains the power of a Demon Lord, Tempest will ultimately be destroyed.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:48 am Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:

In your statements that Rimuru could stop the invasion by taking the leaders hostage, or repelling their forces without inflicting much damage, I think you are severely overestimating Rimuru's position.

It is true Rimuru has the advantage over the invading force, but it is only because the Church thinks he was killed by Hinata Sakaguchi. She is the leader of the Church's imperial guard, and we have already seen that she is more than powerful enough to kill Rimuru.

If the Church was aware that Rimuru was still alive, there is no doubt that Hinata would be at the head of the invasion force, probably along with more members of the imperial guard. Judging from the result of his first fight with Hinata, Rimuru would have almost no chance of winning. He would most likely be killed this time, since Hinata would be on the lookout to figure out how he survived his previous defeat.

This is the one and only time that Rimuru will have the upper hand when facing these forces. If Rimuru merely repelled the invasion force with only inflicting light damage, the force would soon return, but this time with Hinata and the imperial guard at the lead. Taking the leaders hostage would end up with the same result.

Think about it for a moment, if Rimuru takes the leaders hostage, forces them to agree to a truce (by threatening to kill them?), then what? Let them go? Then they just regroup with Hinata and the Church's imperial guard and invade again. I doubt they would feel any obligation to honor any truce they agreed to under threat of death, especially a truce with monsters. It seems unlikely that Rimuru would be able to hold them hostage indefinitely, since he cannot kill them and I doubt Rimuru would be able to stop Hinata from ultimately rescuing them.

Unlike the current invasion force, Rimuru and Tempest face two other threats that they cannot handle at their level of power: the above-mentioned Hinata Sakaguchi and the Demon Lord Clayman. Rimuru understands this, and he stated that does provides some of his motivation to become a Demon Lord, along with the hope of reviving his slain friends and subjects. Rimuru has realized that unless he obtains the power of a Demon Lord, Tempest will ultimately be destroyed.

1) But Hinata isn't there right now, and that gives him options. He is still the vastly superior force in this conflict and that gives him certain responsibilities to abide to if he wants to be even remotely a good person.

2) Why would Hinata join in with Falmuth when she has acted alone up until now? We have already established that if Rimuru uses restraint on the invading force and enforces a peace-treaty on them, Falmuth's hands will be tied. If they need to invent justification for an attack then there is no way that they can break a treaty willy-nilly and expect help from the church or other nations. Any treaty worth its salt would also expose the previous attack for the farce it was and force Falmuth to pay reparations, thus putting them in an even worse position and improving Tempest's image. It doesn't matter whether they feel like they should honor the treaty or not, it is about what breaking it would mean for their position in the world. You can't set of international relations as a factor and then ignore how those politics would play a part here.

3) On the other hand, if Rimuru goes through with this it will absolutely galvanize the church and the other nations against him because not only did he prove that he is A-OK with murder and war-crimes, he also took over a neighboring nation and installed a puppet-ruler. He will have an army of 100 000 and the entire Imperial guard on his doorstep before he can say "oops". Again, you can't set up a world where politics and economics supposedly matter and then just ignore things like how the world at large would react to Rimuru's actions just because you think he is justified. Whetever consequences you think leaving the army alive will have, I guarantee you that annihilating it will be 100 times worse.

4) So killing 10 000 people will give him his friends back and make him stronger? Cool, so what will killing the other 10 000 people in the army do? No matter how you spin it, what Rimuru plans to do is overkill and evil as all hell. Not to mention that if he really plans to enforce his peace with strength and power, that just kinda proves that he is a tyrant at heart.

5) Even if we accept that doing this will give Rimuru some tangiable benefit, you are still just trying to justify evil acts, not convincing me that they aren't evil. If strength is necessary there are other ways to do that except mass-murder, and treating people's lives like currency to get your own friends back is also evil. This wouldn't bother me so much if the show didn't insist that Rimuru is still the best person ever and he will totally get right back to building a brighter world where humans and non-humans get along...right after this one act of wanton slaughter that will tooooootally not have any consequences because it is just...so justified guys.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote

1) But Hinata isn't there right now, and that gives him options.

2) Why would Hinata join in with Falmuth when she has acted alone up until now?

Hinata was not acting on her own when she attempted to kill Rimuru. She is the head of the Church's imperial guard. Her eliminating Rimuru was a key part of Falmuth's and the Church's plot to eradicate Tempest.

If Rimuru had been in Tempest, he would have been able to stop the 3 offworlders sent by Falmuth to create the pretext of humans being attacked in order to justify the invasion, not to mention the troop of knights who followed after.

The plan was for Hinata to eliminate Rimuru before he could return to Tempest. It was no coincidence that she was attacking Rimuru at the same time that the offwordlers were entering Tempest.

If the invasion force is stopped without Rimuru obtaining the powers of a Demon Lord, Hinata and the the rest of the Church's imperial guard will lead the subsequent attack, kill Rimuru and wipe out Tempest. The subsequent attack will come because the motivations of the invaders will remain. Falmuth wants to preserve their trade monopoly and the Church preaches that monsters are not civilizable and therefore should be destroyed, so they cannot allow a peaceful civilized city of monsters to exist, since it contradicts their teachings.

We have already established that if Rimuru uses restraint on the invading force and enforces a peace-treaty on them, Falmuth's hands will be tied. If they need to invent justification for an attack then there is no way that they can break a treaty willy-nilly and expect help from the church or other nations. Any treaty worth its salt would also expose the previous attack for the farce it was and force Falmuth to pay reparations, thus putting them in an even worse position and improving Tempest's image. It doesn't matter whether they feel like they should honor the treaty or not, it is about what breaking it would mean for their position in the world. You can't set of international relations as a factor and then ignore how those politics would play a part here.

I do not agree that it has been "established" that Falmuth's hands would be tied by a peace treaty they were forced to sign. As I said previously, Falmuth could claim that any treaty signed while their king was being held hostage by monsters was made under duress and would not necessarily have their hands tied by it. Our world's history is full of broken treaties, so I am not as convinced that they are as ironclad as you seem to think they are. Also, the leader of the Church (Falmuth's coconspirator) is not accompanying the invasion force, so how would Rimuru force them to agree if he cannot take the Church's leader hostage?

4) So killing 10 000 people will give him his friends back and make him stronger? Cool, so what will killing the other 10 000 people in the army do? No matter how you spin it, what Rimuru plans to do is overkill and evil as all hell. Not to mention that if he really plans to enforce his peace with strength and power, that just kinda proves that he is a tyrant at heart.

As far as the exact number he needs, the 10,000 human souls figure came from the legend. It is a nice round number, which is generally what legends contain. Right now, we don't know for sure how many souls will actually be required for Rimuru to become a Demon Lord, and we have yet to see how many he does kill.

Also, sadly in our own world, peace between rival nations is ultimately enforced with military strength and power, both historically and in present times. Without getting into politics, just looking at the vast resources countries devote to maintaining their military power, will demonstrate that unfortunate reality. With that in mind, it seems somewhat naive and unfair to call Rimuru a tyrant for pursuing the same policy.

5) Even if we accept that doing this will give Rimuru some tangiable benefit, you are still just trying to justify evil acts, not convincing me that they aren't evil. If strength is necessary there are other ways to do that except mass-murder, and treating people's lives like currency to get your own friends back is also evil. This wouldn't bother me so much if the show didn't insist that Rimuru is still the best person ever and he will totally get right back to building a brighter world where humans and non-humans get along...right after this one act of wanton slaughter that will tooooootally not have any consequences because it is just...so justified guys.

I would call being able to prevent everyone in Tempest being killed, more that just a "tangible benefit". As I said previously, if Rimuru does not obtain the power of a Demon Lord, not only will he be unable to revive his dead friends and subjects, everyone left in Tempest will be killed by the inevitable subsequent invasion.

Your suggestion that Rimuru should find another way, besides becoming a Demon Lord to become strong enough to prevent everyone in Tempest from being killed, is essentially meaningless, since no alternatives have been presented in the story. If Rimuru had years to pursue another option, perhaps the Great Sage could finally figure out how to free Veldora, who could then become Tempest's guardian dragon. However, Rimuru has at most a few weeks before the second invasion force led by Hinata and the Church's imperial guard would arrive.

I will agree, that the situation is forced by the plot of the story. The only way Rimuru can prevent everyone in Tempest from being slaughtered is to become a Demon Lord, and the only way to do that is to consume 10,000 or so human souls, so in the story as written, he has no choice (and implies that means he should not be held accountable). I can also agree, that once Rimuru made the decision, he did not seem to be all conflicted about the cost, especially when compared to characters in other stories in similar situations. Rimuru's apparent complete lack of internal conflict after choosing this path does weaken his characterization in my opinion.

Last edited by minamikaze on Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I think it's kind of avoiding the key issue to debate whether Slime successfully writes Rimuru into a corner from which killing all of the enemy soldiers and using them to revive his pals is his most ethical option. Obviously, it's possible to construct a world in which that's the only sensible choice. Maybe Slime will do so, having Hinata show up and pressure him so badly that he can't hold back and carefully control the parameters of who he harms when dealing with the invading force; or, he'll be clearly pressed to the brink, facing destruction for himself and Tempest unless he can ascend to become a demon lord; or some such.

But the bigger issue is: if it goes that route, will Slime treat the slaughter this involves with the kind of care it deserves? Or will it brush it off as a joke; write an artificial way out of considering it at all; or lazily celebrate it as an unambiguous good, just an expunging of 20,000 moustache-twirling bad guys and not something to be thought about twice? These 3 would all be painfully ineffective ways to write that kind of situation -- a waste of dramatic potential, and a kind of whimsical disregard for a grave choice. Better not to write the arc at all than to ruin it like that; these are the missteps I'm worried Slime is going to make. The latest episode didn't do much to assuage these concerns, unfortunately; we got one moment of determination from Rimuru at the end of the episode, but otherwise this may as well be just another Tuesday for all he seems to have meditated on the massive bloodbath he's about to carry out.

Other thoughts on the latest episode:

• the drawn out discussion where everyone tried to blame themselves was tiresome to watch, and Rimuru's conclusion ("family and friends are nice to have", or some such) from it lacked any emotional payoff, so it just felt like distracting filler. Made me wish CR had a 2x play speed option, like YouTube
  • the Tempest denizens' cult-like adulation for Rimuru is normally cute, but seeing it played up in the middle of war-time decision-making is kind of disturbing. Mild echoes of weird pro-dictatorship propaganda..
  • the re-re-cap of Milim's backstory made me wonder: if the, uh, 3% chance fails, does that mean Rimuru ends up ressurrecting Shion, Gobzo et al as horrible soulless zombies, like Milim's dragon buddy?
  • Milim's tattered dress getup from her backstory would've been a way more evocative design for her character (with obvious connections to the trauma that led her to becoming what she is now) than her weird loli underwear armor
  • separate from my concerns that Slime simply won't treat Rimuru using 10K-20K common soldiers as food with the weight it deserves, I also just straight-up wish it were willing to leave Shion and Gobzo (and the nameless others) dead. Their deaths are really going to feel like cheap narrative throwaways if/once they're successfully resurrected (as I fully expect will be the case). If they remained dead -- or, cripes, if Rimuru's resurrection of them failed and only revived them as ghastly shades that he was then forced to put down -- that would really be a heck of a backstory for him becoming whatever a "demon lord" is in this world. Feels too heavy for the sort of thing Slime would be willing to commit to, though
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:

Hinata was not acting alone when she attempted to kill Rimuru. She is the head of the Church's imperial guard. Her eliminating Rimuru was a key part of Falmuth's and the Church's plot to eradicate Tempest.

If Rimuru had been in Tempest, he would have been able to stop the 3 offworlders sent by Falmuth to create the pretext of humans being attacked in order to justify the invasion, not to mention the troop of knights who followed after.

The plan was for Hinata to eliminate Rimuru before he could return to Tempest. It was no coincidence that she was attacking Rimuru at the same time that the offwordlers were entering Tempest.

So what I am hearing here is that the church is no more able to just attack Tempest without justification than Falmuth is. Hence why they needed to kill Rimuru somewhere secluded and keep him from stopping their framejob.

Quote:
If the invasion force is stopped without Rimuru obtaining the powers of a Demon Lord, Hinata and the the rest of the Church's imperial guard will lead the subsequent attack, kill Rimuru and wipe out Tempest. The subsequent attack will come because the motivations of the invaders will remain. Falmuth wants to preserve their trade monopoly and the Church preaches that monsters are not civilizable and therefore should be destroyed, so they cannot allow a peaceful civilized city of monsters to exist, since it contradicts their teachings.

Again, you just admitted yourself that the church needed the framejob of Tempest for their plan to work. If Rimuru sends the army packing with no major damage and forces them into a civillized peace-treaty there can't be a second attack because the justification they invented has vanished.

Quote:
I do not agree that it has been "established" that Falmuth's hands would be tied by a peace treaty they were forced to sign. As I said previously, Falmuth could claim that any treaty signed while their king was being held hostage by monsters was made under duress and would not necessarily have their hands tied by it. Our world's history is full of broken treaties, so I am not as convinced that they are as ironclad as you seem to think they are. Also, the leader of the Church (Falmuth's coconspirator) is not accompanying the invasion force, so how would Rimuru force them to agree if he cannot take the Church's leader hostage?

Of course it would be signed under duress, it would be part of the terms of surrender. This is literally how you win a midieval war. No one ever tried to actually kill the opposing king or his knights on the battlefield. They were high-value targets to be captured and ransomed back to their country. When England captured the French king in the 100-year war he was basically treated as a "guest" and paraded around until he coughed up a huge amount of gold and signed the agreements the English wanted him to sign. And yes, treaties are broken, but there are usually consequences to that and the show has established that these consequences exist in this world. That is what would tie their hands.

He doesn't need to make the church agree to anything. As you yourself said, the church was banking on the frameup to give them an excuse to destroy Tempest through Falmuth. But that frameup would be utterly disproven if the supposed "monster" wins the war by the rules of combat and gets them to sign a civilized treaty. It would signal to every other nation that the accusations were false, especially if they can include an admission that the previous incident was false. Without this justification, Falmuth cannot launch a second attack (and neither can the church) without making every other nation turn against them and question the carefully cultivated doctorine they have crafted.

Quote:
As far as the exact number he needs, the 10,000 human souls figure came from the legend. It is a nice round number, which is generally what legends contain. Right now, we don't know for sure how many souls will actually be required for Rimuru to become a Demon Lord, and we have yet to see how many he does kill.

Again, this is deeply disingenuous. Rimuru has made it perfectly clear that he intends to kill the entire army. And again, the fact that he intends to kill even "just" 10 000 strangers to resurrect his friends is still evil. Treating people like currency is evil.

Quote:
Also, sadly in our own world, peace between rival nations is ultimately enforced with military strength and power, both historically and in present times. Without getting into politics, just looking at the vast resources countries devote to maintaining their military power, will demonstrate that unfortunate reality. With that in mind, it seems somewhat naive and unfair to call Rimuru a tyrant for pursuing the same policy.

You are talking as if the RL leaders who enacted these policies aren't scum of the Earth and that this vast military spending hasn't resulted in a world where the nuclear clock is at 2 minutes to midnight and has created countless social problems and basic human-rights violations.

If you seriously believe that every peace in history has been enforced through threat then I am begging you to read something other than America-centric history books.

Quote:
I would call being able to prevent everyone in Tempest being killed, more that just a "tangible benefit". As I said previously, if Rimuru does not obtain the power of a Demon Lord, not only will he be unable to revive his dead friends and subjects, everyone left in Tempest will be killed by the inevitable subsequent invasion.

Again, a second invasion isn't inevitable, as established by the political worldbuilding of the show itself. And certain actions are in fact evil no matter how beneficial they are.

Quote:
Your suggestion that Rimuru should find another way, besides becoming a Demon Lord to become strong enough to prevent everyone in Tempest from being killed, is essentially meaningless, since no alternatives have been presented in the story. If Rimuru had years to pursue another option, perhaps the Great Sage could finally figure out how to free Veldora, who could then become Tempest's guardian dragon. However, Rimuru has at most a few weeks before the second invasion force led by Hinata and the Church's imperial guard would arrive.

I will agree, that the situation is forced by the plot of the story. The only way Rimuru can prevent everyone in Tempest from being slaughtered is to become a Demon Lord, and the only way to do that is to consume 10,000 or so human souls, so in the story as written, he has no choice (and implies that means he should not be held accountable). I can also agree, that once Rimuru made the decision, he did not seem to be all conflicted about the cost, especially when compared to characters in other stories in similar situations. Rimuru's apparent complete lack of internal conflict after choosing this path does weaken his characterization in my opinion.

Yes, this is precicely my point. The story has forced a setup where Rimuru has to commit an unspeakably evil act and it still pretends that this won't have any consequences for him. It can either continue to portray a semi-realistic world where people aren't either mustache-twirling bigots or innocent victims or it can skip that and just have a world where might-makes-right and the protagonist is a self-aware asshole. Right now it tries to have it both ways.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I think it's kind of avoiding the key issue to debate whether Slime successfully writes Rimuru into a corner from which killing all of the enemy soldiers and using them to revive his pals is his most ethical option. Obviously, it's possible to construct a world in which that's the only sensible choice. Maybe Slime will do so, having Hinata show up and pressure him so badly that he can't hold back and carefully control the parameters of who he harms when dealing with the invading force; or, he'll be clearly pressed to the brink, facing destruction for himself and Tempest unless he can ascend to become a demon lord; or some such.

But the bigger issue is: if it goes that route, will Slime treat the slaughter this involves with the kind of care it deserves? Or will it brush it off as a joke; write an artificial way out of considering it at all; or lazily celebrate it as an unambiguous good, just an expunging of 20,000 moustache-twirling bad guys and not something to be thought about twice? These 3 would all be painfully ineffective ways to write that kind of situation -- a waste of dramatic potential, and a kind of whimsical disregard for a grave choice. Better not to write the arc at all than to ruin it like that; these are the missteps I'm worried Slime is going to make. The latest episode didn't do much to assuage these concerns, unfortunately; we got one moment of determination from Rimuru at the end of the episode, but otherwise this may as well be just another Tuesday for all he seems to have meditated on the massive bloodbath he's about to carry out.

I agree that Rimuru being able to resurrect Shion and the other victims, and his not displaying any conflicted emotions about the ruthless means to do so, does eliminate just about any dramatic effect that the story could have gained from either their death or the cost in resurrecting them.

So far, it appears that the writer is not interested in having Rimuru be haunted by the price he had to pay to become a Demon Lord (assuming he succeeds). Maybe that will change, I do not know, I have not read the light novels. [NOTE:] I'm not interested in spoilers, so to people who have read the novels, please don't reply with them.

As far as having Hinata show up when he starts attacking, that would pretty much be game over for Rimuru, so I doubt that will happen.

IMO, there are multiple facets that can be debated. On one hand, what character actions would be consistent with the story as written, does the story make sense; and on the other hand, would it be better if the story had been written differently: essentially is the storytelling effective?
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:26 pm Reply with quote

So what I am hearing here is that the church is no more able to just attack Tempest without justification than Falmuth is. Hence why they needed to kill Rimuru somewhere secluded and keep him from stopping their framejob.

Again, you just admitted yourself that the church needed the framejob of Tempest for their plan to work. If Rimuru sends the army packing with no major damage and forces them into a civillized peace-treaty there can't be a second attack because the justification they invented has vanished.

The Church and Falmuth's pretext will not vanish. Their pretext is "A Falmuth knight witnessed an unprovoked attack on humans by the monsters of Tempest, and he and his troop had to engage in a pitched fight with the monsters in order to save the human victims." They only needed that pretext at the beginning to "disprove" the Tempest citizens' reputation as civilized and peaceful, since the standard opinion about monsters among humans in this world is that they are uncivilized and dangerous.

Now that Falmuth and the Church have "proof" that the monsters of Tempest are "dangerous to humans, untrustworthy and not actually civilized", they have all the justification they need for any additional actions to eliminate the "monster threat". They do not have to keep "proving" it: the human Knight's testimony will be deemed more reliable than any contradicting assertions made by a "monster". I think you are asking a lot in expecting that Rimuru kidnapping the King of Falmuth would make the pretext that the monsters of Tempest are "dangerous" vanish.

Falmuth and the Church will not stop util they face an opponent that they do not think they can beat. A second invasion would be inevitable if Rimuru does not become a Demon Lord.

Of course it would be signed under duress, it would be part of the terms of surrender. This is literally how you win a midieval war. No one ever tried to actually kill the opposing king or his knights on the battlefield. They were high-value targets to be captured and ransomed back to their country. When England captured the French king in the 100-year war he was basically treated as a "guest" and paraded around until he coughed up a huge amount of gold and signed the agreements the English wanted him to sign. And yes, treaties are broken, but there are usually consequences to that and the show has established that these consequences exist in this world. That is what would tie their hands.

Sorry, where in the show was there an example of the consequences of breaking a treaty? Who could stop Falmuth from immediately breaking it, especially if their coconspirator the Church backed them up?

If you seriously believe that every peace in history has been enforced through threat then I am begging you to read something other than America-centric history books.

Sure, if you could provide some some examples of histories that show eras and regions where there were no wars, ethnic, tribal or clan conflict and where people living there had absolutely no need to resort to violence or the threat of it to establish, restore or preserve peace at any time, I would appreciate it.

Yes, this is precicely my point. The story has forced a setup where Rimuru has to commit an unspeakably evil act and it still pretends that this won't have any consequences for him. It can either continue to portray a semi-realistic world where people aren't either mustache-twirling bigots or innocent victims or it can skip that and just have a world where might-makes-right and the protagonist is a self-aware asshole. Right now it tries to have it both ways.

Well, we at least agree on this point. If Rimuru does pay the horrible price of 10,000 human lives, to become a Demon Lord to resurrect the dead victims and protect everyone else in Tempest, and he faces no public repercussions and he feels absolutely no remorse or guilt for it, that would be disappointing to me. The story would be more interesting to me if Rimuru had to deal more thoroughly with the issue that he is essentially sacrificing his soul to save his friends and the rest of citizens of Tempest.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Its okay to disagree about the moral vs practical implications of the situation. I just fear once people get into 2 page length quote offs that no discussion is being had. Only vehement dismissal of each other opinion.

I understand that Rimuru might have to kill large groups of people to protect his own, its a very grim idea for such a light show. I also understand how it would seem to change his attitude away from the friend maker we have seen so far. I can see why some would want to equate all the forces of the enemy army with the evil acts of the vanguard and leaders of the invasion. It is there that I disagree but it is okay to disagree. Im not sure the conversation can advance any more without the actual events of the coming episode.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:49 pm Reply with quote

Fallacy: Rimuru is evil, evil because he is going to kill all the soldiers coming to kill him and his people.

Please explain to me, what 'right' do the Falmuth soldiers (the actual invaders) have that allow them to conduct a genocidal campaign against Tempest population (both civilian and military. IE the victims), yet the audience sympathizes with their poor and unfortunate souls, instead of their victims. "Were coming to kill you, rape and murder your citizens, burn your buildings (and some citizens too,) to the ground; but please think of us before trying to kill us."
Quote:
Live by the sword, die by the sword

The moment those Falmuth soldiers crossed the border with their swords, they signed the contract for that quote above. It doesn't matter their reasons. They've come to kill, murder, and torture. Thus, they also must be prepared to die also, by their enemies hand.

All of those Falmuth soldiers are free game to die. They've already signed the dotted line. It doesn't matter how many of them they are, it doesn't matter their reasons, all that matters is they are coming to kill you. That is it. You destroy the enemy utterly, so that they don't come back again to do the same.

Why are we sympathizing over the Falmuth soldiers. We know what they are coming to do. The Tempest citizens are the victims, so why do they have to bend the knee.

If a pair of knife wielding maniacs break into your house, are you going to fight them fairly with your kitchen knife, or are you going to use your gun. To kill them before they kill (or worse) you and your family.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Fallacy: Rimuru is evil, evil because he is going to kill all the soldiers coming to kill him and his people.

Please explain to me, what 'right' do the Falmuth soldiers (the actual invaders) have that allow them to conduct a genocidal campaign against Tempest population (both civilian and military. IE the victims), yet the audience sympathizes with their poor and unfortunate souls, instead of their victims. "Were coming to kill you, rape and murder your citizens, burn your buildings (and some citizens too,) to the ground; but please think of us before trying to kill us."

They obviously have no right to do any of that, but that isn't really relevant to the discussion. Even if we ignore complicating factors like whether all of these soldiers are actually genocidal bigots or if they are either coerced, conscripted or mislead and assume that they are all irredeemable scum who no one will miss, that still wouldn't mean that you can kill them at will.

Obviously, that doesn't mean we should prioritize the lives of the aggressors here. Killing in self-defense is justifiable, but I genuinely don't think you understand how that argument is actually supposed to work.

Quote:
Quote:
Live by the sword, die by the sword

The moment those Falmuth soldiers crossed the border with their swords, they signed the contract for that quote above. It doesn't matter their reasons. They've come to kill, murder, and torture. Thus, they also must be prepared to die also, by their enemies hand.

That is not even remotely what that quote means. It is meant as a rebuke for people who solve all of their problems with violence. It was supposedly said by Jesus to one of his disciples after the latter had tried to defend Jesus by cutting off the ear of one of the people who tried to arrest him. The idea being that if you keep picking fights you are just going to provoke more violence in response and eventually you will end up dead. It is not an endorsement for killing people who kill others.

Quote:
All of those Falmuth soldiers are free game to die. They've already signed the dotted line. It doesn't matter how many of them they are, it doesn't matter their reasons, all that matters is they are coming to kill you. That is it. You destroy the enemy utterly, so that they don't come back again to do the same.

What you are describing is a war-crime. Even war has rules you need to follow.

Quote:
Why are we sympathizing over the Falmuth soldiers. We know what they are coming to do. The Tempest citizens are the victims, so why do they have to bend the knee.

No one has asked them to "bend the knee" or even to not fight against the invaders. But they can do that without breaking the rules of engagement.

Quote:
If a pair of knife wielding maniacs break into your house, are you going to fight them fairly with your kitchen knife, or are you going to use your gun. To kill them before they kill (or worse) you and your family.

And this is the crux of the matter because your idea of self-defense is based on intent and punishment (I.E "these people tried to hurt me so anything I do to them in response is justified") when the reality is that all ethical self-defense is based on the balance of power. And Rimuru has a lot of power.

In war or dangerous situations, we are ethically allowed to kill on the basis that we are powerless to do anything else, either because we don't have the means to escape or restrain someone non-lethally or because the danger is so imminent that adrenalin takes over and we can not reasonably come up with any other option. That is not the case for Rimuru in this case because his vast power relative to the army gives him a lot of options. There is literally no one in the army who can even hope to stop him from making his way to the enemy king and capturing him, thus winning and defending Tempest with minimal (if any) loss of life.

Your analogy doesn't work because Falmuth isn't two crazy guys with knives. Relative to Rimuru they are feeble, unarmed toddlers. It doesn't matter how much they may genuinely want to kill him. They do not pose a threat to him or his people as long as he is there.

Rimuru isn't evil because he is going to kill the soldiers who are coming to kill his people, he is evil because he is going to kill the soldiers who can't kill his people.

The way most people try to get around this is by arguing for a pre-emptive form of self-defense. I.E "well they are not a threat now but they could be in the future if they recruit more powerful help" which is ludicrous because it completely ignores how self-defense works. Self-defense is always built on the danger being clear and present. You can't justify killing people based on what you think might happen, especially when the scenario you are afraid of is unlikely, and I have already explained why Falmuthbeing able to justify another attack with church-help is unlikely. Going back to the analogy, you can't justify beating the toddlers to death because you are afraid that they might come back when they are older and have guns.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 45