• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I need some confirmation from the novel readers, I only read the manga adaptation of Mushoku Tensei which I am sure it trims lots of excess or side plots from the source novels. But last time I checked, I do not remember there is an extended scene where Rudy harassed Eris like what we have in episode 6. So does the volume 2 of the novel has this scene? Is it as....unnecessarily long and uncomfortable like this?

I do believe I have high tolerance for fan service and tall threshold for pervert behaviors. But that ep 6 scene is the first time I felt uncomfortable watching it, since no matter how young Rudy looks, he still is a 40 year old NEET, that contrast in age difference gets creepy and creepier once we get into the context

I will still stick around, since there are lots of materials left that I would love to see it being animated, it’s just I was surprised that the production team decides to leave the scene untouched or present it elaborately than just skim it

The stable scene was not in the manga adaptation, it happens in the novel but I can't remember if it's worse there however it did get an LN illustration.
Similarly the outing to the town; we see them go on the outing but nothing happens during it, so the aphrodisiac scene is also not in the manga adaptation. Mind you, there are still other similar moments just that the manga didn't adapt all of them.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
The stable scene was not in the manga adaptation, it happens in the novel but I can't remember if it's worse there however it did get an LN illustration.
Similarly the outing to the town; we see them go on the outing but nothing happens during it, so the aphrodisiac scene is also not in the manga adaptation. Mind you, there are still other similar moments just that the manga didn't adapt all of them.

The stable scene was in the light novel(Japanese), but it was censored in the English(Seven Seas) translation of the novel, instead it was described as Rudy pulling the shirt over her stomach so she wouldn't catch a cold.

The aphrodisiac scene is wholly anime-original. spoiler[Though the aphrodisiac does come up much later in the novels.]
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Well, could have done without Rudy acting like that -_-

GhostD wrote:

To be fair its not like they can release something like that in the US without censoring it

They can, and if they can't they shouldn't be releasing it in the first place. If I had bought this and found out it had been censored I'd upset and stop buying the series. Whether objectionable (as in this case) or not, I'd expect what I was buying to not be filtered without my knowledge.

I mean they 'can' sure but most western countries aren't so lax on pedophilia as Japan is and will outright ban things.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
#890256 wrote:
Covnam wrote:
Well, could have done without Rudy acting like that -_-

GhostD wrote:

To be fair its not like they can release something like that in the US without censoring it

They can, and if they can't they shouldn't be releasing it in the first place. If I had bought this and found out it had been censored I'd upset and stop buying the series. Whether objectionable (as in this case) or not, I'd expect what I was buying to not be filtered without my knowledge.

I mean they 'can' sure but most western countries aren't so lax on pedophilia as Japan is and will outright ban things.

If i'm gonna be paying for a compromised product, might as well not have it in the first place. Fan Translations got me covered.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

If i'm gonna be paying for a compromised product, might as well not have it in the first place. Fan Translations got me covered.

Weird hill to die on but you do you.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I was ok enough with a lot of the stuff people in this site (and anywhere else) weren't so far but, man, that scene with him and Eris in the barn... yikes. :l
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:58 pm Reply with quote
#890256 wrote:

Weird hill to die on but you do you.

I mean, it's nothing that serious to me, personally. It's really a case of "oh, x is happening? Well, ok. Guess i'll do y" and move on. Nothing major. LN's/Manga/etc are rather expensive in the EU (10Eur+ per book) so i'd rather not spend money on compromised things.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Took me 6 episodes to realise that apart from liking the animation and disliking Rudy(more on that), I really don't care about anything else in this show (either in a positive or negative way). Probably dropping this after Ep 7, there wasn't really anything to keep me interested.

About Ep 6, Mrs Beast Lady doing a small fist bump after solving simple arithmetic was very funny and relatable as someone who sucks at maths and flying fortress are always cool (even if we just got a glimpse .
Telu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
It has to be very hard to stop watching a series, literally every week people crying in the comments, the series is not going to change radically from one episode to the next, if you don't like it just erase the series from your mind and go on with your life.

Sadly I read the second book of the LN, because the story was moving slowly, but I wasn't prepared for what happens at the end of the second book, I guess chapter 8 will show that.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:
Quote:
{Mod edit}: I removed some of your post. Leave out the unneeded bait comments towards users from now on. Basically saying a character deserved to be sexually assualted due to karma is also not going to fly here. That much has been said several times. ~ Psycho 101

The karma was her being bashed by the kidnappers in the previous episode (i.e. Episode 5) for being the loud obnoxious demanding ojou-sama who uses violence and loud demands, like her grandfather who is the influence on her, against anyone lower status. Please don't jump so fast.

"I'm not saying this 9 year old deserved to be sexually assaulted, just savagely beaten until she bleeds!"

What you're implying, uh, isn't that much better, if I'm being honest.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Telu wrote:
It has to be very hard to stop watching a series, literally every week people crying in the comments, the series is not going to change radically from one episode to the next, if you don't like it just erase the series from your mind and go on with your life.

Sadly I read the second book of the LN, because the story was moving slowly, but I wasn't prepared for what happens at the end of the second book, I guess chapter 8 will show that.

I won't say it's particularly 'hard' to stop watching this series. What's hard to deal with is that are a lot of legitimately nice parts of the story in every episode, and some other cool bits I'm interested in seeing from spoilers, but I have to swallow Rudy being a creep every episode and this week was worse because now it's no longer just him thinking weird shit, it's him doing it.

People are ultimately going to react accordingly to what they're given every episode, and if what they're given is a guy mentally in his 30s fondling a child they're going to comment even if it seems like weekly whining to you.
Kibako

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:01 am Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:
Took me 6 episodes to realise that apart from liking the animation and disliking Rudy(more on that), I really don't care about anything else in this show (either in a positive or negative way). Probably dropping this after Ep 7, there wasn't really anything to keep me interested.

About Ep 6, Mrs Beast Lady doing a small fist bump after solving simple arithmetic was very funny and relatable as someone who sucks at maths and flying fortress are always cool (even if we just got a glimpse .

There will be a huge change at the end of ep 7 though (or may be ep 8, idk). I think it's better to make up your mind at that point.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I need some confirmation from the novel readers, I only read the manga adaptation of Mushoku Tensei which I am sure it trims lots of excess or side plots from the source novels. But last time I checked, I do not remember there is an extended scene where Rudy harassed Eris like what we have in episode 6. So does the volume 2 of the novel has this scene? Is it as....unnecessarily long and uncomfortable like this?

I do believe I have high tolerance for fan service and tall threshold for pervert behaviors. But that ep 6 scene is the first time I felt uncomfortable watching it, since no matter how young Rudy looks, he still is a 40 year old NEET, that contrast in age difference gets creepy and creepier once we get into the context

I will still stick around, since there are lots of materials left that I would love to see it being animated, it’s just I was surprised that the production team decides to leave the scene untouched or present it elaborately than just skim it

i read the wn back in 2015 ish, i remember the chest scene but not the panty thing.
i think its pretty obvious by now that the studio will double down on the ecchi stuff so i will have to live with that, well i hope they dont chicken out and keep the ones that hint at rudy being bisexual, it would be more annoying otherwise. and well ifnthings go like planned, after episode 25, doubling down on the ecchi will be a positive when consent and adult characters are fully featured.

regarding paul being the black sheep for becoming an adventurer i was under the impression that him becoming an adventurer was more or leas the punishment, its been hinted that paul was a high ranked noble, so being stripped from the title and being sent to the streets. to die like a dog seem like fitting punishment to what he did, a that his family kind of pardoned him and got him the equivalent of a security guard job ( assuming he got it from his family, though maybe it was from his own merits) just reinforces that.

overall it was a pretty uneventful chapter, tho i guess some people can enjoy the world building, i was expecting this and the next episode to get compressed in a single episode, but i guess someone in the higher ups has a thing for eris. as said by other guys, we are almost done with introducing the main 4 or ao characters , so we can expect the plot to get moving either next episode or the next after that.

to give an idea of the length of the work, at the current pacing we would need at least 100 episodes to cover the main plot, ignoring all side works. now that i think about it , it would be cool if when this ends they continue with the yet unwritten sequel, whole main character is spoiler[female].

one thing the anime did not make clear is that, because they are practically atheist, rudeus family does not has weekly religious holydays, so eris was particularly stressed out and tires and one thing rudeus did to get on her goos side was to give them a weekly holyday. i think i have said it a few times before, but i wish they kept those little details instead of doubling down in the echi, but for me thats a minor complaint anyway.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:23 am Reply with quote
Personally, I find Rudy hilarious but maybe that's because I know not to take everything he does so seriously. For example, I found the stable scene funny because of how ridiculous Rudy's actions were like he forgot who Eris was if he thought there was any scenario where he got away with what he was doing.
sadoldguy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:30 am Reply with quote
As someone who reads far too many light novels, there is one defining difference between this LN and other LNs: the main character MAKES MISTAKES. Lots of mistakes and not just the troubling behavior. In particular, after Ruby, every time he meets a new girl he stops making progress in his magic and instead devotes himself entirely to helping the new girl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 31