• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Biggest Badass Forum Tournament

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
I think the way loser's brackets typically work is that it's all the entrants who lost in the first round only. If a character makes it past the first round but loses in the second or later rounds then they don't qualify for the loser's bracket.
Sentire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:16 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

thanks to you I am swayed...and must seek this movie out soon!
I edited my post to reflect that and vote for the TBD one (D6, D17 changed)

It is terrific! I think you will really like it. Some stellar action scenes, for sure.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Here is where we stand as of now with Calathan's votes. Matchups with missing votes have an asterisk by them. I assume Tony will update his entry later. When he does we could go from 1 tie to potentially 3 ties this round. Have to wait and see how that goes. Still a few hours left for anyone else to vote.

*D1 Kamina (Gurren Lagann) 6 vs. D34 Shion Yauoka (Shion no Ou) 1

D2 Jiraiya (Naruto) 3 vs. D33 Gene Starwind (Outlaw Star) 5

*D3 Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill) 2 vs. D32 Fuji Yakumo (3x3 Eyes Legend of the Divine Demon) 5

*D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) 5 vs. D31 Isamu Dyson (Macross Plus) 1

D5 Teresa (Claymore) 6 vs. D30 Shinya Kougami (Psycho Pass) 2

*D6 Harlock (Captain Harlock) 5 vs. D29 Io Fleming (Gundamn Thunderbolt) 2

*D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basalisk) 3 vs. D28 Joseph Joestar (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) 4

*D8 Hisoka (Hunter x Hunter) 4 vs. D27 Ayanokoji Pai (3x3 Eyes Legend of the Divine Demon) 3

D9 Takeshi Sendou (Hajime no Ippo) 6 vs. D26 Shizuo Heiwajima (Durararara) 2

D10 Mugen (Samurai Champloo) 8 vs. D25 Toshio Ozaki (Shiki) 0

D11 Metal Bat (One Punch Man) 2 vs. D24 Zoro (One Piece) 6

D12 Roberta (Black Lagoon) 8 vs. D23 Ippo Makunouchi (Hajime no Ippo) 0

D13 Sesshoumaru (Inu Yasha) 3 vs. D22 Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho) 5

*D14 Naomi Armitage (Armitage III) 5 vs. D21 Eijiro Kirishima (My Hero Academia) 2

*D15 Rory Mercury (Gate) 2 vs. D20 Saito Hajime (Rurouni Kenshin) 4

D16 Chane Laforet (Baccano) 4 vs. D19 Haruke Tenou (Sailor Uranus) (Sailor Moon franchise) 4

D17 Nanashi (Sword of the Stranger) 7 vs. D18 Shigeo "mob" Kageyama (Mob Psycho 100) 1
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Any decisions regarding loser's bracket?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:50 am Reply with quote
Put my edited votes in.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I'll be posting the new brackets momentarily. Pardon the delay. We got snow yesterday, but more of a pain is the ice and slush from the weather. Lines are down everywhere. Someone even got their car stuck in the big ditch in front of our neighbor's place. I love the weather, but hate other people in it.

Edit: As for the Losers Bracket(s), I'll get it together for next week. The first one anyways. There will be 2 of them, and we'll vote in them every other week just like the regular brackets. To save work for myself, and since no one has really posted their thoughts one way or another, I will simply put all the names in a hat and randomly draw them out 2 at a time. Thus the brackets shall be made by the will of the cosmos.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Here are the results. I did my double check as I was missing a vote or two. We have another tie. That's 3 of the 4 openings rounds having a tie. Which ironically will work in my favor with matchups for the second round. More on that in the next post.

D1 Kamina (Gurren Lagann) 7 vs. D34 Shion Yauoka (Shion no Ou) 1

D2 Jiraiya (Naruto) 3 vs. D33 Gene Starwind (Outlaw Star) 5

D3 Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill) 2 vs. D32 Fuji Yakumo (3x3 Eyes Legend of the Divine Demon) 6

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) 7 vs. D31 Isamu Dyson (Macross Plus) 1

D5 Teresa (Claymore) 6 vs. D30 Shinya Kougami (Psycho Pass) 2

D6 Harlock (Captain Harlock) 6 vs. D29 Io Fleming (Gundamn Thunderbolt) 2

D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basalisk) 3 vs. D28 Joseph Joestar (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) 5

D8 Hisoka (Hunter x Hunter) 5 vs. D27 Ayanokoji Pai (3x3 Eyes Legend of the Divine Demon) 3

D9 Takeshi Sendou (Hajime no Ippo) 6 vs. D26 Shizuo Heiwajima (Durararara) 2

D10 Mugen (Samurai Champloo) 8 vs. D25 Toshio Ozaki (Shiki) 0

D11 Metal Bat (One Punch Man) 2 vs. D24 Zoro (One Piece) 6

D12 Roberta (Black Lagoon) 8 vs. D23 Ippo Makunouchi (Hajime no Ippo) 0

D13 Sesshoumaru (Inu Yasha) 3 vs. D22 Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho) 5

D14 Naomi Armitage (Armitage III) 6 vs. D21 Eijiro Kirishima (My Hero Academia) 2

D15 Rory Mercury (Gate) 2 vs. D20 Saito Hajime (Rurouni Kenshin) 6

D16 Chane Laforet (Baccano) 4 vs. D19 Haruke Tenou (Sailor Uranus) (Sailor Moon franchise) 4 - TIE

D17 Nanashi (Sword of the Stranger) 7 vs. D18 Shigeo "mob" Kageyama (Mob Psycho 100) 1

Mini Game Scores:
Beltane70 - 13
Calathan - 16
Tony K - 15
Psycho 101 - 16
Sentire - 13
Hikari14 - 9

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
So first and foremost I done screwed up. When I opted to add the extra set of matches for each bracket I didn't account for that means it would then lead to a few rounds with an odd number of winners. Which would thus lead to some 3 way matchups. Fortunately having a tie in the opening round prevents that. With both participants making it in we have even matchups again. I simply re-matched them based on original seeding. We had a single tie matchup in 3 or the 4 opening rounds so those will actually work in my favor for the matchups this round. They did mess up the seeding just a tad to make sure the people who had the tie did not face off again in this next round. No biggie though.

Two changes from this point on. Now that we are past opening rounds there will need to be arguments presented for matches. This is going to work much like previous tournaments. For the second round of matches in each bracket people need to provide their reasons for at least 4 matchups. You can certainly provide them for more, or all, but you need to for at least 4 of the matches. You can provide more detailed arguments, or simply say something like "Vote based on previous and/or current arguments from users". The second change only is for the minigame. As I previously said points would start increasing. Since we're in round 2 now, all votes for the subsequent winner of a matchup are now worth 2 points instead of 1. And yea, that means when we get to round 3 they will be worth 3, and so on.

Without further ado though, here are the matches.

Here is the new bracket. Round 2 for Bracket A

A1 Claire Stanfield (Baccano) vs. A30 Satoru Gojo (Jujutsu Kaisen)

A2 Balalaika (Black Lagoon) vs. A18 Sanosuke Sagara (Rurouni Kenshin)

A3 "D" (Vampire Hunter D) vs. A25 Cobra (Space Adventure Cobra)

A4 Balsa (Moribito) vs. A20 Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tale)

A6 Re-L Mayer (Ergo Proxy) vs. A19 Eikichi Onizuka (Great Teacher Onizuka)

A7 Guts (Berserk) vs. A15 Kyojuro Rengoku (Demon Slayer)

A8 Lancer (Fate Franchise) vs. A12 Leon McNichols (Bubblegum Crisis Franchise)

A9 Alita (Battle Angel Alita) vs. A13 Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury)

A11 Alucard (Hellsing) vs. A14 Jubei Kibagami (Ninja Scroll)
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
D against Cobra again?! I'm having bad flashbacks to the 2010/11 Coolest character (I think that's the one it was) tournament!!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
D against Cobra again?! I'm having bad flashbacks to the 2010/11 Coolest character (I think that's the one it was) tournament!!

Now I am curious. I think I linked all of the past ones in the first posts of the nominations thread. I gotta go check now.

Edit: You my friend have a very good memory.

Quote:
Group B-1
D, Vampire Hunter D
vs.
Cobra, Space Adventure Cobra

And D kicked Cobra's ass in that matchup too.

Looking through it does have me sighing a bit. I remember in those days when the forum was much more active as a whole. Seeing several pages of votes....I can't help but wish we had even half of that many people participating. Just to get more votes and more opinions on matches if nothing else.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
As for the Losers Bracket(s), I'll get it together for next week. The first one anyways. There will be 2 of them, and we'll vote in them every other week just like the regular brackets. To save work for myself, and since no one has really posted their thoughts one way or another, I will simply put all the names in a hat and randomly draw them out 2 at a time. Thus the brackets shall be made by the will of the cosmos.

So now I even gotta' watch stuff for the losers, too? I'm never gonna' make any progress with my episode reviews..

Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Well fortunately you should already be up on them as it's nobody you haven't voted for, or against, already. Plus I won't be requiring justifications for those. Not yet. Wink

Plus if you simply cut time from worrying about Dallas related sports teams that aren't worth it you'd have more time available. Shocked Shocked
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I invest very little time into actually watching sports, anymore. I just keep up with records and stats, and not much else. One thing I learned from having previously watched the actual games: you can get way too caught up in the drama of winning or losing; and if you let yourself get sucked into that vacuum, it can mess you up. At this point, I feel the negative outweighs the positive, so I just try to keep it objective and don't even watch, unless it's with a close friend of mine wanting to hang out during Monday Night Football.

Concerning my speed-watching technique, though, I'm so used to quadruple speed as the default, now, I think I've even managed to achieve octuple speed on some shows, but it depends on the content. In essence, this will double my quadruple productivity!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Way to ruin my dig at you for being a Cowboys fan. You were supposed to make some dig back, and then I respond in turn with yea we got a new culture here which involves beating Dallas twice a year. But that whole exchange just went out the window.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I mean, I still like 'em, I still follow 'em. I just know they suck, right now, and have been mostly mediocre ever since the Jimmy Johnson regime ended. And it's all Jerry's fault. But he cares more about making money, "taking care" of star players, and brand recognition than actual winning. Until he stops being GM, I don't feel the team will ever quite get over the hump. I've accepted that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 21