• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:
Funniest part of episode 14 has to be Gojo suggesting to Yuji that his reunion will solve global warming (COOL! ) and Yuji just vibing with it.

Agreed. Yuji seems to be the only person that’s on the same wavelength as Gojo
Kuzu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Yuuji is a good boy, that unfortunately has the worst possible person as a mentor.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Good set up episode. looking forward to next week Smile

I was surprised to see Kasumi Miwa was a student. I would have thought she was already a grad working as a body guard
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:35 am Reply with quote
I love how funny this series is. Episode 14 was hilarious! I’m usually bored by tournament arcs (bringing back the argument from last month), but Jujutsu Kaisen has a good track record with character introductions and tropes.
Observations:
—Momo looks like she rode her broom out of Kubo’s Burn the Witch.
—the Kyoto teacher has a very prominent scar on her face. It almost looks familiar; do any other characters have a similar scar? Either way, I bet there’s a backstory behind it.
—Why is Megumi so special? Sukuna wants to fight him in particular; the kid with the closed eyes from Kyoto mentioned him...
—No more Gojo dance in the ED. Boo!

Let the games begin!
kurichan69

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

I was surprised to see Kasumi Miwa was a student. I would have thought she was already a grad working as a body guard

Same! And she was one of the best parts of this episode. Love me some Miwa.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

—Momo looks like she rode her broom out of Kubo’s Burn the Witch.
—the Kyoto teacher has a very prominent scar on her face. It almost looks familiar; do any other characters have a similar scar? Either way, I bet there’s a backstory behind it.

Momo and Utahime are definitely the most interesting Kyoto characters we met this week. The others seem like tropes at this point. That could change but for now, I am most interested in knowing more about these two new characters.

I know there is a backstory about Utahime's scar and I just barely managed to avoid the spoiler about it when I looked her up. Happy that I dodged that bullet.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now, a cursory Google search tells me that Yuuji and Jennifer Lawrence are actually both around 5'8”, so I'm not sure if JJK's universe just has a J-Law who's got a few inches up on her Earth-Prime counterpart, but Aoi isn't bothered by such petty trivialities as “basic facts it takes only a second or two to research.”

Eh, basic research demonstrates that 5'8" is taller than the average Japanese women, taller than the average preferred or ideal height of women as stated by Japanese (both male and female), and there's a ton of sociological research demonstrated that there's a preferred norm of men being "taller than the woman in heels" (both female and male preference, though female preference for taller men is stronger than the preference of men for somewhat shorter women.)

For all those reasons, Jennifer Lawrence, being 5'8" and the same height as Yuuji, would properly be described as a "tall girl" (especially as a matter of romantic preference) by any of the three metrics-- Japanese average, Japanese ideal, and as compared to Yuuji.

Last edited by John Thacker on Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
ab2143

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the fake memories between Todou and Yuuji were the best part of the episode.
I burst into laughter when the soft music started playing. Had to keep pausing as I was laughing way too much at that scene!

By the way, Todou's idol is Takada-chan not Tamaki

Quote:
Meanwhile, there's an odd cut to Gojou, who vamps a bit before pointing out Kasumi. Damn it, man, don't start creeping on your students – I need you to be better than that! We all need you to be better than that!

About the Juju stroll:
I don’t think Gojo was saying that Miwa’s his type. If he was, wouldn’t Utahime be pissed off? I mean we already know how much she hates him from last week’s episode (lol).

Knowing him, Gojo more than likely wanted to show off to Utahime about one of her students taking a photo with him.

It was a really weird transition.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I want to shout out to the CR sub team for the gradually fading subtitled word when everyone hears the echo. That was a nice little touch.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:22 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Quote:
Now, a cursory Google search tells me that Yuuji and Jennifer Lawrence are actually both around 5'8”, so I'm not sure if JJK's universe just has a J-Law who's got a few inches up on her Earth-Prime counterpart, but Aoi isn't bothered by such petty trivialities as “basic facts it takes only a second or two to research.”

Eh, basic research demonstrates that 5'8" is taller than the average Japanese women...<snip>

For all those reasons, Jennifer Lawrence, being 5'8" and the same height as Yuuji, would properly be described as a "tall girl" (especially as a matter of romantic preference) by any of the three metrics-- Japanese average, Japanese ideal, and as compared to Yuuji.

This. If you've read a lot of manga you will regularly come across a female character that's considered tall and its a defining characteristic. Often someone says "wow are you like 170cm (5' 7")?" ,which back in the day I found a little mind boggling that it wasn't like 6' or something similar. You can just look at Wikipedia and see that average height for Japanese women runs somewhere in the 5 ft 1 1⁄2 inch to 5 ft 2 range. So yea J-Law would be tall as far as Japanese norms go.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:39 pm Reply with quote
This episode was choppier than last week’s, especially when they flashed back to more battle planning exposition. “Table setting” describes it perfectly. Still, Aoi declaring Yuuji his BFF was hilarious (while beating the snot out of him, guess that’s just how he shows his love?) and Miwa was a bright point, as usual.

Quote:
Meanwhile, there's an odd cut to Gojou, who vamps a bit before pointing out Kasumi. Damn it, man, don't start creeping on your students – I need you to be better than that! We all need you to be better than that!

Fair, but technically she’s not his student, she’s Utahime’s—I need an out because I would totally ship it. Way after her graduation, of course. But hey, she idolizes him and she’s smart and quirky, and would probably appreciate his sense of humor. It could work, in about 5 years.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
#919730 wrote:
I
By the way, Todou's idol is Takada-chan not Tamaki

Haha, oh man, my brain must have gotten its wires crossed on account of being so used to covering Fire Force on Fridays too Anime hyper
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Best Gojou cosplay evah.

JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit thrown off by Gojou possibly showing interest in Kasumi at first too, but I checked the wiki and she's 19. Still not great given that he's 28 and she's still in school, but at least she's an adult. That said, it was a bit unclear whether he was actually saying she was his type or not, but it's a fair assumption given the context.

Also that cat cosplay is fantastic.
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:03 am Reply with quote
I feel like Gojo and Utahime were talking about something completely different... As I had already said, if Gojo had said Miwa’s his type, Utahime would have been super pissed off seeing as Miwa’s one of her student. She didn’t seem angry at all the when he said that and so it’s more than likely that they were talking about something different.

Another thing, when being asked about their type, the girls were talking straight to the camera. In the case of Gojo and Utahime, they were having a conversation amongst themselves and it wasn’t about what type they liked.

Again, sorry to repeat myself, knowing Gojo, he more than likely wanted to show off to Utahime about one of her students wanting a photo with him.

I feel like the Juju stroll segment had put two different scenes in a misleading way.

Anyway, that cat cosplay is certainly cute. I hope we find out more about Panda in the next episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 16