• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuzu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking of being a teacher, Junpei's anti-educator screed was a biting moment, decrying us as people who graduate from school only to immediately return, forcing us into lives as overgrown children that never experience the “real world.” I will have to respectfully disagree! …As I sit here at my desk, surrounded by video games and action figures, writing thousands of words about cartoons based on comics aimed primarily at teens, wondering when I will be able to free up some time to binge some Assassin's Creed on my PlayStation 5 or play some Apex Legends with my bros from high school.

Tell me about it, I watched this episode while working in a school and I had to pause and think a bit about that particular jab.
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To make it that much harder for Yuuji to overcome his inner turmoil when he will eventually have to take on Junpei as an agent of the Cursed Cohort (Cursed Commandos? Coalition of Curses? I'm trying out some nicknames — let me know what sticks).

How about the Cursed Council? Haha
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No extra skit after the credits this week, and that's probably a good thing.

So that preview narrated by Nobara wasn't a skit? I thought that was a fake preview, because there was another right after that.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:32 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
So that preview narrated by Nobara wasn't a skit? I thought that was a fake preview, because there was another right after that.
It was, so either he didn't feel like mentioning it or his heart just got broken.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:22 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Quote:
No extra skit after the credits this week, and that's probably a good thing.

It is a skit, the whole mock preview is a Eva-reference (if the signature Akari pose, and some lines didn't give you enough hints)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:31 am Reply with quote
I got a kick out of Junpei's reaction to the reason Yuuji didn't like Earthworm 3 (because he got hit so many times watching it). Then Yuuji is just as baffled by Junpei watching a movie he hated 3 times to be sure he hated it. I guess what I liked was the simple bonding over movies without them judging each other's taste or motivations.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yuuji's commitment to being a generally decent and cool dude is enough to sway Junpei ever so slightly from his dark path as Mahito's apprentice, and while it is genuinely sweet to see Junpei so flustered at having made his first ever genuine friend, he's obviously being built up as a rival and nemesis for Yuuji

hahahahahahaha *cries in episode 12* ohohohhoho....
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:26 am Reply with quote
While I enjoy these episodes, it feels really weird to have such a huge cast in the opening (seriously, I forgot about the "generic trio" names, they became comic relief). The death scene was effective but I can't tell what the writer is trying to prove with it cos Junpei did nothing to deserve being backstabbed or just prove that Itadori really needs to kill every cardboard villain.
dandon223

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sukuna going to be able to get Yuuji to finally accept that devilish pact, damn the consequences?

I do not know if you missed it but Sakuna already has pact with Yuuji , but Yuuji does not know about it per rules of this pact. Sakuna was the one that refused pact with Yuuji who was willing to give everything.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That said, I can't help but feel somewhat disappointed that Junpei's character arc was built up over so many episodes, only to get snuffed out halfway through this one

Completely agree, what a waste of time, literally made me stop watching the last few episodes. Just glad its back on track, hopefully they won't introduce anymore "filler" character, what a weird arc.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
While I enjoy these episodes, it feels really weird to have such a huge cast in the opening (seriously, I forgot about the "generic trio" names, they became comic relief). The death scene was effective but I can't tell what the writer is trying to prove with it cos Junpei did nothing to deserve being backstabbed or just prove that Itadori really needs to kill every cardboard villain.

The whole point of that scene is that Curses are not humans. They are existences that are bound only to their natural cause. A volcano curse will burn everything and a Human Hatred Curse will simply hate and destroy everything. Junpei was blinded by his dismay at humanity and couldn't see that what Mahito was doing was awfully monstrous. If none of those lives had value what made him think his had?

In a sense, Mahito is the complete opposite of Yuuji because while Yuuji sees values in every life and respects the dignity of human existence, Mahito denies that. Which becomes specially interesting when you consider that his name is written as 真人. 真 in this case can be read as 'true' so 'Mahito' can be read as 'True Human'. His existence affirms that mankind is predatory, abusive and destructive while Yuuji's existence affirms that mankind is noble. The 'ma' in Mahito is, IIRC, of buddhist origin.

A core tenet of the world of JJK is that the whole proccess of cursing and exorocising curses is a cyclical nightmare that breeds only suffering, a theme that comes from the series' heavily buddhist foundations. This will be explored a little more in the coming episodes but, sadly, I don't think the anime will get to the point where these topics come to the forefront but you can see hints of it already, be it on Mahito's name, as I've talked about above, or in the concept of regret. Satoru Gojo's name is also buddhist influenced as it is likely derived from 'satori', which is a moment of enlightenment.

While the Jujutsu itself resembles a mix of Tao influenced magic (onmyodo, as seen by the idea of Shikigami and Barriers) and Shinto (the idea of exorcism is expressed, in japanese, as 'harae', a term with strong ties to shinto practices), a lot of elements are also buddhist and, later on, some character will quote The Buddha and the famous opening lines of the Heike Monogatari which are some of the best pieces of buddhist poetry in japanese literature, at least as far as I've read (which, admitedly, is perhaps not saying much).
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
unlike the ED, I tend to skip it, most weeks
Disgusting.

Anyways, this was JJK's best episode yet. Absolutely sublime direction for Junpei's death and Yuuji's realization that a curse is nothing but a curse. Sukuna's no Kurama, and what a satisfying way to show it the show went with.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
”To You, Someday” is one of those odd anime episodes that functions both as climax and setup at the exact same time

Ah, the Shonen Jump method of story telling. Big thing happens followed by cliffhanger, rinse and repeat. The more I see it, the more I'm just exhausted by it.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Quote:
That said, I can't help but feel somewhat disappointed that Junpei's character arc was built up over so many episodes, only to get snuffed out halfway through this one

Completely agree, what a waste of time, literally made me stop watching the last few episodes. Just glad its back on track, hopefully they won't introduce anymore "filler" character, what a weird arc.

Okay your misusing the word filler dude. Filler is at its core not important and easily ignorable.

Junpei irrelevant of your feelings towards him is not a “filler character”. He is the link that sets up Yuji & Mahito’s arch-enemy relationship towards each other & forwards Yuji’s own development.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:27 pm Reply with quote
It's weird that Mahito can manipulate his soul to create non-living objects like drills and chains Confused

Anyway, I wasn't expecting Junpei to go like that. You got me with that opening misdirect Mappa! I think a bit too much time was spent on Junpei considering he just ended up being a plot tool to make Yuuji want to kill Mahito. (presuming he stays dead).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 16