• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- [2020-07-13]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:55 am Reply with quote
Really, don't see any reason to dislike Subaru, other than envy.

Yeah, he is not perfect, and can be a little annoying, but at least he is doing something, at least he cares about stuff, and cares about stuff enough to die for it if necessary.

How many real life men would see the nightfall in the poor section of the capital, and when Puck was asleep, as a chance to assault Emilia, quite a bit I think.

How many real life men would flee all the danger that Subaru has endured for the sake of what is important to him. Still quite a bit.

Even if Subaru could only die once, I still think he would try to help Emilia.

Not even counting that, Subaru's greatest trait I believe is forgiveness. A lot of people in this series have no problem killing people they 'suspect' of being bad or evil. Subaru being on the receiving end of that. I don't know if I could be that forgiving. But maybe you would have to be that way in this world, where violence is the norm of the day.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:29 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
LastPage 3 wrote:
with viewers wondering why he doesn't commit suicide at the first sign of trouble.

There are already a lot of people who say this unironically. Needless to say, they aren't to be taken seriously

That and "Why doesn't he just shout 'I can Return By Death!" at Elsa so her heart gets crushed like Emilia's that one time?" a week doesn't go by on some forums without someone thinking they cracked the code on how Subaru wil become OP.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:00 am Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
That and "Why doesn't he just shout 'I can Return By Death!" at Elsa so her heart gets crushed like Emilia's that one time?" a week doesn't go by on some forums without someone thinking they cracked the code on how Subaru wil become OP.

I always thought this was pretty obvious: because Emilia dying that one time when Subaru mentioned it in her presence was meant as a punishment. Elsa dying that same way wouldn't be a punishment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I always thought this was pretty obvious: because Emilia dying that one time when Subaru mentioned it in her presence was meant as a punishment. Elsa dying that same way wouldn't be a punishment.

Well yes, but more broadly speaking, the witch isn't stupid. If Subaru tried to game her system (which isn't actually a system, it's just her watching over him and slapping him down when needed), she would much sooner not play along and instead grief Subaru until he knocked it off. Plus, nothing says we've seen the full extent of the witch's ways to keep Subaru quiet so even without all that, trying to game the system is playing with fire at the best of times.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Give me back my feelings about the mysterious and elegant witches!

I absolutely didn't expect them to show so many of them at once. And I didn't expect this crazy asortment of freaks, they make Echidna look like the weird one by contrast.
Typhon caught me by surprise but it shouldn't have, remembering her silhouette and description (and oh how fast Subaru ignored Echidna's warning).
Minerva I instantly recognized, but I absolutely didn't expect her personality to be a flustered Precure. Also, given that she's, ahem, an ally of justice and Typhon is the deliverer of cruel justice, I imagine this routine of cleaning up the latter's mess is something she did a lot in life.
And then Daphne is... a lot. Her speech (not so much speech pattern) is what you'd expect from a dangerous witch centered on gluttony, but everything else is... wow. BTW, is that spider-like iron maiden mecha supposed to resemble Daphne turning into a tree?

Those 7 minutes were so wild that I forgot my suspicions on Echidna as she was awfully cooperative, so much that it seemed as if Subaru were talking to himself bouncing ideas back and forth. Now, her payment being related to Petra... she didn't take Subaru's memories or feelings of her, so instead she must have either taken hers or took her altogether. I won't bet on something as benign as creating a link between Petra and her (and it just so happens that Echidna mentioned that RbD can't be used to fix everything since Satella don't care, so I'm betting on whatever Echidna did being permanent).
Satella's resurrection was surprising but not shocking. The cause is more mysterious but my best guesses are that Subaru wasn't there to take Emilia out of the trial or him freely speaking about Return By Death strongly lured her to his position - and to Emilia. I wonder when he'll fidn out that the witch he's desperate to stop is actually Emilia (hasn't A LOT happened in this episode?).

But now my mind is in the two as-of-yet unknown witches: Carmilla, who gave non-humans emotions (I guess that means people like Ricardo? And the consequence is halflings?) and Sekhmet, who suplexed a dragon to keep sleeping. I can only imagine the former as very very crazy and very very horny for everything, and for the latter my trembling mind goes to Petelgeuse's strong impression.

P.S.: since the Killer Bunny devoured everything in the Sanctuary, was my assuption that killing Emilia (and not leaving a single bone behind) triggered that snowfall?
And since these gluttonous bunnies were created by the Witch of Gluttony, is it possible that they share the same special power that the gluttonous whale of gluttony created by the Witch of Gluttony, as well as the Archbishop of Gluttony have?
P.S.2: and Roswaal directly admitted to knowing about Subaru's power, but that's just clearly verbalizing what we already knew. I guess now we also know HOW he knows. I guess that's the same book Beatrice has (so both copies are in his possession. Not that surprising considering he gathered a huge library of unique and forbidden books and needed to hide it). Unless he IS a cultist unlike Beako.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:50 pm Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
Plus, nothing says we've seen the full extent of the witch's ways to keep Subaru quiet so even without all that, trying to game the system is playing with fire at the best of times.

Like, for example, she could somehow materialize in front of Subaru, proceed to consume the world around him and in-between a torrent of "I love you", heavily imply that if he didn't think his little loophole at the castle of dreams would have consequences when he came back, he really hasn't been paying attention. But damn, what a creepy scene that was.

In other news, the witches are here! I'm happy to see best witch Minerva, even tough her introduction was cut somewhat short. It's funny how her shoddy attempts to dress her compulsion to heal everyone as threats against the use of violence is reminiscent of another pure-hearted girl's bad attempts at passing her selflessness as self serving. That said, the surprise of the episode was Daphne. it's hard to say why but in the pages she never really stood out outside her bizarre looks, but between her speech pattern and the movements of her coffin, her scene really stood out. Trivia: In the Web Novel "rough draft" of the story, Subaru does actually undo ones of her blindfolds, revealing her eye. He's then assaulted by unquenchable hunger and before he regains his senses he's bitten off and eaten his own arm - then Minerva heals him. I guess he can count himself lucky that Tappei-sensei took some pity on him for once.

Another trivia: It was cut from the Light novel but Echidna also ranks the witches (besides herself and Satella) in terms of how dangerous they are to be around. The ranking was:
Safe - Minerva (Wrath)
Dangerous - Sekhmet (Sloth)
Very Dangerous - Typhon (Pride)
Extremely Dangerous - Carmilla (Lust)
Absolutely Dangerous - Daphne (Gluttony)

More importantly, alot of important information is dropped this episode. The one that's going to stand out the most is obviously Roswal's confession that he has he second "complete" Gospel and that he indeed knows Subaru is looping. This is an important, if quite obvious at this point, piece of the puzzle. But don't forget about Subaru's newfound resolve to use and abuse RBD for all it's worth, in order to bring about the future he wishes to see. Considering how he never quite got comfortable with the mechanics of dying, this is quite a declaration to make, and one that's fully endorsed by Echidna who, by the by, seems to dislike Satella maybe as much as Subaru (understandable, she did kill her) and more importantly, has seen in Subaru's memories that Emilia is bound to repeatedly fail the trial and has thus lost interest.Oops.

Yuvelir wrote:
Also, given that she's, ahem, an ally of justice and Typhon is the deliverer of cruel justice, I imagine this routine of cleaning up the latter's mess is something she did a lot in life.

(This is meta knowledge not covered in the Light Novels) In life, the witches weren't always in the same physical location. Minerva in particular traveled the world, breaking up fights and battles (she can't hurt anything because all her damage turns to healing, but she can knock them back with the momentum of her punches) and healing everyone she found with her fists. It's possible that if Minerva and Typhon crossed paths, they would indeed fall into such a loop tough. In life all the witches had a pact to never allow Minerva to see the Great Rabbit because she would not be able to hold herself back and the consequences could be catastrophic.

Yuvelir wrote:
BTW, is that spider-like iron maiden mecha supposed to resemble Daphne turning into a tree?

The spider like thing is actually a mabeast like the Whale, the Rabbit and the Snake, only this one carries Daphne around, as she's too dangerous to everyone to be allowed to move freely.

Yuvelir wrote:
Satella's resurrection was surprising but not shocking.

Small correction, Satella never died. She's currently sealed off somewhere.

Yuvelir wrote:
I wonder when he'll fidn out that the witch he's desperate to stop is actually Emilia

I know this is the most obvious theory out there but just to pass along the author's comments on this, Satella and Emilia are not the same person. Now are they related, who knows?

Yuvelir wrote:
P.S.: since the Killer Bunny devoured everything in the Sanctuary, was my assuption that killing Emilia (and not leaving a single bone behind) triggered that snowfall?

No Spoilers here but I'll note that Daphne did talk abit about the Bunnies. Perhaps that'll help.

Yuvelir wrote:
And since these gluttonous bunnies were created by the Witch of Gluttony, is it possible that they share the same special power that the gluttonous whale of gluttony created by the Witch of Gluttony, as well as the Archbishop of Gluttony have?

I think there is something of a duality between the Whale and the Rabbits. While one is extremely tough but singular, the other is singularly frail but endless in numbers. Likewise, the whale will eat your essence but not necessarily your body, while the rabbits will devour every single drop of flesh and blood one possesses.

Last edited by OrdepNM on Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:22 pm Reply with quote
So it was theory B about Satella's shadow. Now, what does Echidna gain from this? And will it be a permanent change as Echidna remembers it loop after loop? Let's find out in two weeks.

I actually had no idea about Satella's confinement. Isn't that like a huge revelation since everything about her is so ambiguous? It also removes an equally huge part of the guessing game.

Minerva + bunnies... Sounds lile a layer of Enma's hell (or Valhalla) only more painful.
As for the snow... wait, was it all rabbits?

P.S.: as predicted, it was Daphne, not Satella, who was responsible for mabeasts. Then again it was said that The Witch did it. I wonder how many legends about The Witch are actually due to the other witches.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I actually had no idea about Satella's confinement. Isn't that like a huge revelation since everything about her is so ambiguous? It also removes an equally huge part of the guessing game.

Yeah, this does strike me as a significant spoiler.

There is a LOT to parse concerning this episode, so I'll wait until after the review hits to comment further.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

Yeah, this does strike me as a significant spoiler.

It was mentioned in S1 that she was "sealed" and not strictly killed, as well as by whom (a sage, a hero, and a dragon, which may or may not be the same dragon that made a pact with the kingdom), but I don't think the specifics of where she was confined were mentioned. I could just be not remembering though. Beatrice dropped the majority of Satella info back in the 2nd arc of S1, namely how she was defeated, that she killed the other witches, and her supposed appearance, so if it was mentioned at all, it was likely by her.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:34 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
So it was theory B about Satella's shadow. Now, what does Echidna gain from this? And will it be a permanent change as Echidna remembers it loop after loop? Let's find out in two weeks.

Early in the episode as Subaru and Echidna are discussing the limits of RBD, you see Satella' s ghostly hand, apparently trying to break through, before Subaru decides he'll be using his power abundantly from now on. While not outright stated, it's easy to infer that she was on the outside looking in and given the nature of the discussion, that her jealousy grew to a point that she went with the nuclear option.

Yuvelir wrote:
I actually had no idea about Satella's confinement. Isn't that like a huge revelation since everything about her is so ambiguous? It also removes an equally huge part of the guessing game..

As ThatGuyWhoLikesThings notes, Beatrice mentions it and the fact that she was sealed by "the sage, the Dragon and the Sword Saint" in S1. I did misremeber where she's been kept, the Great Waterfall is indeed where Volcanica resides but not necessarily where Satella is kept. I actually don't know where I got that from, maybe it was in the Web Novel at one point and was later changed, but anyway I'll edit the prior comment.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:59 am Reply with quote
Beatrice tells Subaru all that in the eighth episode for anyone curious. Ram mentions a dragon residing beyond a great waterfall in episode six. The dragon is not named and Satella's whereabouts aren't specified.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:26 am Reply with quote
As long as it was stated... I can keep not trusting because everyone in this series has ulterior motives, specially kings and history writters Razz
And hey, being sealed is no impediment for being dead. Case in point: the other 6 witches, both dead and sealed.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:29 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
As long as it was stated... I can keep not trusting because everyone in this series has ulterior motives, specially kings and history writters Razz
And hey, being sealed is no impediment for being dead. Case in point: the other 6 witches, both dead and sealed.

I think a healthy dose of skepticism by the audience towards everything related to the events 400 years ago is very much intended by the author. There's alot of unreliable narrators going on in universe, and even the author deliberately adds to the confusion. Like, the story goes that the Witch of Envy "swallowed" the other 6, but between short stories, author Q&As and web novel chapters that may or may no still be Canon, we have a vague understanding of how each witch died - and none of these appear to involve Satella, at least overtly. It's a big history, but only Tappei-sensei has the answers.

Also you mentioned Minerva and Typhon going off into a loop. I was reading a Minerva Q&A with the author as a reminder and happened onto this:

Quote:
Q: If Minerva and Daphne were in the same place, I get the feeling there would be an infinite loop where Daphne eats → Minerva heals, but has something like that not happened?

A: It did happen, and they were angry.

Also this:

Quote:
Q: Can Minerva-tan kill a person (living thing)?

A: Just like it says, she can’t even hurt a fly. It’s at the level where a bug she stepped on would say “Thank you very much!”.

Q: Minerva-tan has tough time on insects, doesn't she?

A: Yes. Camping outside with mosquitoes flying around was a matter of life and death for Minerva-tan.

#JustAbsoluteHealerThings

I'd also like to share this page of the LN with some... interesting early design choices for some of the witches introduced this chapter.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:25 am Reply with quote
Since the witch factors were introduced, I assumed that what she "swallowed" were the witch factors, which she would then hand to the Sin Arch Bishops.

About that LN page, those designs don't seem so diff- oh. Oh Typhon, you windy brat.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Is there, like, a reason Subaru doesn’t ask about the purpose of the barrier and the trials? Did I miss something, or hasn’t he had multiple chances to ask this question since they became an urgent problem? I’m not asking what the purpose is. I just can’t tell if Subaru has even questioned it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 47