• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Seven Deadly Sins: Imperial Wrath of The Gods

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skerlly Fc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:15 pm Reply with quote
It´s unfortunate that, like One Punch Man Season 2, online discussion on this latest season mostly revolves about how bad is the animation, weak production values and censorship that was imposed apparently for being broadcasted on TV Tokyo (famous for Naruto, One Piece and other shonen action series), instead of creating some meaningful discussion based on the plot of this season. But this represents a recent shift in online anime discussion where animation and production values are now more important than the story behind it. When discussion is biased like that, it makes it difficult for some people to enjoy SDS in community, and rather enjoy the series for themselves. Of course I don´t mean that the prod. values can´t be criticized, but Theron Martin´s review is not the only one focused on how bad the series looks because of the production downgrade. Other online reviewers opted to talk more about the story and character development, if they´re well writen or not, etc., and people should be allowed to talk about it with no bias.

Also, I have to mention that this series has been featured in the Top 10 Daily on Netflix in at least 20 or 30 countries. The feature was introduced earlier this year, and ven though sometimes Netflix executives might use it to boost the popularity to some of their live action originals, sometimes they accurately represent what´s being the most watched show in the country daily. At first I noticed the show was in 1st and 2nd place in the week from Aug. 6-Aug. 13 in my country, Dominican Republic, but I discovered a website called Flixpatrol, which gathers data from Netflix in various countries to check the most watched shows daily, and Seven Deadly Sins shows its popularity in Latin American countries like Colombia, Brazil, Mexico and Bolivia. This is a link that shows in which countries it has been popular: https://flixpatrol.com/title/the-seven-deadly-sins/streaming. Baki is another Netflix Anime Original that has been featured in the Top 10 Daily on Netflix in 10+ countries, as seen in this link: https://flixpatrol.com/title/baki/streaming. Which means that the strategy is working for anime at some points. I´d like to see this published on the website, as I sent an email massage about it but nobody did mention it on the site, so I thought at least this would be a good oportunity to mention it.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Skerlly Fc wrote:
When discussion is biased like that, it makes it difficult for some people to enjoy SDS in community, and rather enjoy the series for themselves. Of course I don´t mean that the prod. values can´t be criticized, but Theron Martin´s review is not the only one focused on how bad the series looks because of the production downgrade. Other online reviewers opted to talk more about the story and character development, if they´re well writen or not, etc., and people should be allowed to talk about it with no bias.

I'm sure opinions differ on this, but oftentimes the main information that I'm looking for in a review of an anime adaptation - at least, one of a manga or light novel that I've already read - is how well the source material has been adapted. I can understand how it would be annoying to see story take a back seat to presentation, but then again, I don't really think that Theron spent that much time discussing the animation quality relative to the plot.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:32 am Reply with quote
Piexouar wrote:
Many would argue it's still far worse. Despite how limited the later episodes of Digimon are, there's still a highlight once in a while: https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/129058
SDS doesn't even have those. Action has no impact and some episodes are literally melting.

The way you phrase this, and then link to a sequence that, while cool, was a 2 minute part of a 20 minute slide show episode (and really only the first 50 seconds are good), tells me all I really need to know. SDS fans are sounding just a liiiittle bit spoiled here my man.
Your animation being a step down sucks don't get me wrong, but hey put up with a bunch of Digimon Adventure episodes then get back to me haha. Forget action having no impact, we just sorta get battle sequences that don't really have action sometimes.
The MetalGreymon sequence looked cool but sucked because it came after 20 minutes of literally powerpoint slides. The WereGarurumon sequence next episode gave me life though, felt like the first time anything had been moving properly since the first 3 episodes
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:15 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
So question for everyone who might know?
how much did the animation for this season get corrected in between the tv/amazon broadcast and this netflix/bluray release.

I doubt if there were any differences. I watched it once it showed up here, and things like a pulled out heart was shown as an exactly heart-shaped shadow in the hand. Blood was also edited. That is the type of thing you see in broadcast versions and fixed animation happens for home video, so I have to assume Netflix has the broadcast version.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:01 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
Piexouar wrote:
Many would argue it's still far worse. Despite how limited the later episodes of Digimon are, there's still a highlight once in a while: https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/129058
SDS doesn't even have those. Action has no impact and some episodes are literally melting.

The way you phrase this, and then link to a sequence that, while cool, was a 2 minute part of a 20 minute slide show episode (and really only the first 50 seconds are good), tells me all I really need to know. SDS fans are sounding just a liiiittle bit spoiled here my man.
Your animation being a step down sucks don't get me wrong, but hey put up with a bunch of Digimon Adventure episodes then get back to me haha. Forget action having no impact, we just sorta get battle sequences that don't really have action sometimes.
The MetalGreymon sequence looked cool but sucked because it came after 20 minutes of literally powerpoint slides. The WereGarurumon sequence next episode gave me life though, felt like the first time anything had been moving properly since the first 3 episodes

The idea that "complaining about a show's bad animation because other shows have it worse makes you spoiled" is such an unproductive approach to media criticism. By that measure, "Digimon fans sure are spoiled, they should watch [Dynamic Chord/Sailor Moon Crystal/whatever show that was so badly done it became memetic] to know what truly bad animation looks like" And mind you, I like Digimon a lot more than I like Seven Deadly Sins, and let me tell you, Digimon may not have stellar animation, but at least it doesn't give us a slide show of freeze frames of off-model melting character faces. The production in this season of SDS is abysmal. But even if it weren't the idea that you can't complain about something being bad because something else is worse is just absurd.

What I do find troublesome is the argument that the season is bad because it has "bad animation". It does, but that's not the only issue with it. A good director can make a great show even with limited budget/animation (see 1997 Berserk or The Twelve Kingdoms). That's not the case here. The direction and editing is atrocious, one has to wonder what the director was even thinking with some of the camera angles. Even the still frames look bad, the key art itself is a mess. The pacing is also terrible, it's painfully slow and jumps at random from one group of characters to another in awkward moments. It's all just incredibly jarring.

Of course the last nail on the coffin is how bad the story is. It started decaying in quality since maybe halfway through season 2, but this season is just atrocious. It feels like a soulless hodge-podge of classic shonen anime tropes without any of the legwork that makes them work. The power levels are completely out of control: the idea of giving them a numerical value was stupid, but even stupider if the mangaka knew he was just gonna inflate the numbers willy-nilly every time the plot demanded it. There is no sense of gravitas to anything because there is no logic or reason to any of the fights, the villains are absurdly overpower until they no longer need to be and the fights look incredibly dumb when everyone is shouting attack names every minute. There are no stakes because people keep dying and undying. The script is painfully juvenile and silly, but not intentionally funny. It's a full-on trainwreck, which is a shame since I really enjoyed the first season and all the bits up to Escanor's first appearance, but it's all gone downhill since then.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:45 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Stelman257 wrote:
Piexouar wrote:

The idea that "complaining about a show's bad animation because other shows have it worse makes you spoiled" is such an unproductive approach to media criticism. By that measure, "Digimon fans sure are spoiled, they should watch [Dynamic Chord/Sailor Moon Crystal/whatever show that was so badly done it became memetic] to know what truly bad animation looks like" And mind you, I like Digimon a lot more than I like Seven Deadly Sins, and let me tell you, Digimon may not have stellar animation, but at least it doesn't give us a slide show of freeze frames of off-model melting character faces. The production in this season of SDS is abysmal. But even if it weren't the idea that you can't complain about something being bad because something else is worse is just absurd.

What I do find troublesome is the argument that the season is bad because it has "bad animation". It does, but that's not the only issue with it. A good director can make a great show even with limited budget/animation (see 1997 Berserk or The Twelve Kingdoms). That's not the case here. The direction and editing is atrocious, one has to wonder what the director was even thinking with some of the camera angles. Even the still frames look bad, the key art itself is a mess. The pacing is also terrible, it's painfully slow and jumps at random from one group of characters to another in awkward moments. It's all just incredibly jarring.

Of course the last nail on the coffin is how bad the story is. It started decaying in quality since maybe halfway through season 2, but this season is just atrocious. It feels like a soulless hodge-podge of classic shonen anime tropes without any of the legwork that makes them work. The power levels are completely out of control: the idea of giving them a numerical value was stupid, but even stupider if the mangaka knew he was just gonna inflate the numbers willy-nilly every time the plot demanded it. There is no sense of gravitas to anything because there is no logic or reason to any of the fights, the villains are absurdly overpower until they no longer need to be and the fights look incredibly dumb when everyone is shouting attack names every minute. There are no stakes because people keep dying and undying. The script is painfully juvenile and silly, but not intentionally funny. It's a full-on trainwreck, which is a shame since I really enjoyed the first season and all the bits up to Escanor's first appearance, but it's all gone downhill since then.

the series writer of S3 was actually not a suitable one for the job from the beginning so it's no wonder The script was bad , while with the director he have some experience but sadly what didn't help him DEEN was already booked so the whole season was outsourced by marvy jack a sub studio with limited amount of animators and 6 months of production wasn't enough so the director must be struggled while working on this season sadly.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:16 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Man you know what? This is the first post I that I feel like really just isn't just dispassionately messing around, and actually saying how the animation for these shows is actually as bad as it is. Sorry if my post came off as using the old "fans are entitled" argument. I didn't intend it, but between this review saying the animation was a solid B/10, and people responding to my Digimon comparison with "well actually Digimon and Toei are good" I didn't really know what the heck to think. Thank you for just saying it as it is man. I wish I could see some visual references for what you were talking about but your descriptions are detailed enough that I don't mind.

CrowLia wrote:

This is also absolutely true. Calling a season of something bad just because the animation is bad is a stupidly shallow judgment and it's much more interesting reading about how the shows presentation and writing as a whole was so heavily flawed, not just that things weren't super smooth. As God of High School shows, you can have great animation and still be a really really bad show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2