• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Manga to Return with One-Shot Story in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm way more excited that "Another Note" and "Vol 13: How to Read" are going to be published in the US this month.
STFUproductions

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
please...dont ruin death note with a sequel....

after kira is dead...he's dead.

after L is dead...there is a successor, but L is dead.

there cannot be anything better than that scenario where two genius' in power, equally alike, are entangles in an unfortunate battle.

nothing can be better, only worse than that.

besides, the end of death note only leaves us with personal questions.
(i.e. who was really the winner? who was really right?)
spife

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Even though the first series had a nice run. I would like to know whether or not that this new series in the Death Note franchise will answer questions regarding the death note, the Shinigamis, and the after-life.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
just don't read it. i don't see what's the problem. i will probably read whatever i have time, but i'm not going to worry about it too much.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
I'm really happy. I'm surprised to see so much negative feedback. I think what would be cool would be what I was expecting at the very end of the series as I watched it. (And I think the ending would have been perfect if they did this.) After spoiler[Light dies], we see the world of the shinigami, like at the beginning of the series. Then something like this happens: spoiler[a shinigami says "Light, what are you doing?," we see Light as a shinigami (since they can't go to heaven or hell, something has to happen to them, right?), Light says he's bored so he's going to drop a Death Note in the human world . . . .]. Just my opinion, but I think that should have ended the series, and some scenario surrounding that could be a good one-shot sequel.
fran2121

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
Death Note without L and more importantly Light isn't really Death Note. Then again they might actually be able to pull it off, we'll see.
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
[spoiler]since they can't go to heaven or hell, something has to happen to them, right?

Doesn't it state in one of the first episodes that spoiler[they go to "nothingness"]?
KamenRiderFaiz555

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
[spoiler]since they can't go to heaven or hell, something has to happen to them, right?

Doesn't it state in one of the first episodes that spoiler[they go to "nothingness"]?

I don't recall that. I always took it as more of a mindf*ck, with heaven or hell not existing, so they wouldn't go there even if they HADN'T used the note.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
o.o a new Kira, huh...

>.>; Interesting....
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
while I think the ending of DN was fine and doesn't need to be expanded, I'm interested in checking this. I hope that along with a new Kira, there will be a new shinigami as well.

I wonder in which form Viz will be releasing this outside of shounen Jump -44 pages is too few for a volume, so I wonder if they are going to include it as a bonus story in one of the already released manga volumes.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
KamenRiderFaiz555 wrote:
Zoe wrote:

I don't recall that. I always took it as more of a mindf*ck, with heaven or hell not existing, so they wouldn't go there even if they HADN'T used the note.

I don't remember that either. I do think Ryuk's explanation was phrased slightly differently in the Japanese version, though.
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
KamenRiderFaiz555 wrote:

I don't remember that either. I do think Ryuk's explanation was phrased slightly differently in the Japanese version, though.

I remember now, it's from the end of the manga.

spoiler["After they die, the place they go is MU (Nothingness)"]
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
KamenRiderFaiz555 wrote:

I remember now, it's from the end of the manga.

spoiler["After they die, the place they go is MU (Nothingness)"]

That's interesting. That's also the name of a lost continent. I assume the writers know that. I've never seen it described as spoiler["nothingness"] before, though. That's a new spin on an overused place.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Hooray! Yet another continuation of Death Note! (blaaaaaaaaaaaaargh)

I honestly don't even have faith that Tsugumi Ohba can punch out a good continuation after struggling through books 8-11. I had a lot of faith in his storytelling ability until we met those stereotyped characters. I understand a lot of folks like Mello and Near, so I won't try to rain on your parade, but spoiler[there's something to be said when me (and my friends) barely even noticed Mello's death near the end. It was like, "Oh, he died? Really? Well, darn. Too bad. What's Light up to?"] It didn't have the spoiler[gut-rending effect that L's death had, because L was actually a compelling, realistic, (well, kind of) character.]

So, I'm honestly not sure a continuation could help things much. A further cementing of details on the part of Light's family or Misa's end of things would be nice, since they were just left hanging unresolved, but I get the feeling that this won't be the case. We're going to be meeting new people and new Shinigami here...
kensukeyura

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I almost had a heart attack when I heard about this one-shot, pun intended. I AM SO EXCITED. Though, I would prefer an afterlife sequel, or a deleted scene between Light and L, or a spinoff about Matt for my inner fangirl.

Unless the writer pulls a plot twist and the "new" Kira is Light again or at least a person with orders from Light (maybe Light had a plan for after his death, like L did with his successors?), this one-shot has the potential to fall a bit flat, like the pilot chapter. Love him or hate him, Light represents Death Note more than the Death Note itself, and his absence will be felt even if familiar aspects of the series are present. Near, sadistic, egotistical, pajama-clad ass though he is, cannot replace the perfection that is Light’s buttocks.

Actually, on that train of thought -- Near has the Death Note at the end of the series, he possibly wrote Mikami’s name in it, and he was never shown destroying the notebook. What if Near is the new Kira? That would be interesting, methinks… but I ought to stop rambling now. I love you, Death Note! Live on forever!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3