• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Fan Couple Names Their Son After Black Clover's Asta

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:04 am Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

Quote:
That is the name Asta (when pronounced ahs-tah) in Japanese katakana is アスタ with the romaji asuta. ... The name Asta means "Love" which in kanji is 愛 which is read ai.

That's obviously made up, I looked up 'Asuta' and couldn't find any usage of it in Japan. Sure you could read 愛 like that if you really wanted to, but then that would be labelled a "kira-kira" name (*trendy* name).
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:14 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

Quote:
That is the name Asta (when pronounced ahs-tah) in Japanese katakana is アスタ with the romaji asuta. ... The name Asta means "Love" which in kanji is 愛 which is read ai.

That's obviously made up, I looked up 'Asuta' and couldn't find any usage of it in Japan. Sure you could read 愛 like that if you really wanted to, but then that would be labelled a "kira-kira" name (*trendy* name).

Then my apologies.. However if you do the digging.. It keeps coming back as both Nicknames for Astrid or Augusta in the Old Norse... which they are represented for love...

Then also comes back as Asta meaning Divine Strength in Greek which represent his character extremely well.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:30 am Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

Then my apologies.. However if you do the digging.. It keeps coming back as both Nicknames for Astrid or Augusta in the Old Norse... which they are represented for love...

Then also comes back as Asta meaning Divine Strength in Greek which represent his character extremely well.

I'll give you Astrid, but I can't confirm those other examples. I wouldn't trust most of those baby name websites because they're usually full of inaccuracies and known for flowery interpretations. I use Behind The Name because they're usually pretty diligent about reporting the facts.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:40 am Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
let me guess, they called their kid Asta because it's always screaming its head off?

i had to drop the show after episode 1 because of all that screaming.

also, asta is probably better than... some other names, shall we say. it sounds like 'aster', which is a kind of flower, and has a nice old-worldly sound to it, imo.
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:26 am Reply with quote
Vee-Tee wrote:
Richmyster84 wrote:
let me guess, they called their kid Asta because it's always screaming its head off?

also, asta is probably better than... some other names, shall we say. it sounds like 'aster', which is a kind of flower, and has a nice old-worldly sound to it, imo.

Aster is also actually a name, like the filmmaker: Ari Aster.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:11 am Reply with quote
Vee-Tee wrote:
Richmyster84 wrote:

Hahaha! My wife and I did the same thing! We could not stand Usop screaming and whining at us for 30 minutes. It was mental torture. We wanted a refund, or a mind whipe or something. We still to this day can not understand how the show is popular. Who wants to listen to that?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:29 am Reply with quote
Honestly an inoffensive fairly normal name.

Better than Sasuke. Or Pikachu.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:

Hahaha! My wife and I did the same thing! We could not stand Usop screaming and whining at us for 30 minutes. It was mental torture. We wanted a refund, or a mind whipe or something. We still to this day can not understand how the show is popular. Who wants to listen to that?

You probably already heard this already.. But they fixed that after the first several episodes at the beginning of the series for the sub. For me I listened to the first few episodes and it was a struggle but then they started coming out with the Dub and things where MUCH better and I been enjoying the whole entire show and story every since.. and I heard the sub is again better after like the first 9 episodes or something like that. if you can get through that and bare with it... then its much better.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

You probably already heard this already.. But they fixed that after the first several episodes at the beginning of the series for the sub. For me I listened to the first few episodes and it was a struggle but then they started coming out with the Dub and things where MUCH better and I been enjoying the whole entire show and story every since.. and I heard the sub is again better after like the first 9 episodes or something like that. if you can get through that and bare with it... then its much better.

You know what, I didn't even consider the DUB. I can think of very few cases where I like a dub more than the sub. Perhaps Ranma 1/2 and DBZ? But yeah, I just gave the BC dub a listen and the voice is soooooooooooo much less annoying. I think I'll give it another try. Thanks for the recommendation.

Also, I am suprised to hear the VA for Astra is not the same for Usop from One Piece. My wife and I both though Usop was yelling at us for 30 min. Funny, that.

Thanks again.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Dicku-kun wrote:
Welp, that kid's gonna get bullied. I can smell a lot of regrets in the future.

Exactly. Wait until his fellow classmates discover the A word and call him Assta.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:00 am Reply with quote
What's the kid's middle name? La Vista?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4