• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for bringing these to our attention, Gina. I'll definitely check them out at some point, they sound like fun.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:40 pm Reply with quote
If you do, let me know what you think. I mentioned in the Wolf's Rain review threads how pacing has changed over the years from when series had ~25 eps vs now with having to tell your story in 12, and even though these are OVAs, that difference in pacing is hugely obvious. Like nearly a whole insert pop ballad was used just for Asuka and a girl following her like a lost puppy walking across a bridge. Or several scenes (between the two OVAs) of her just walking around the city streets at night absorbing atmosphere. Very Happy Those wouldn't have a chance of not being cut these days, but I enjoyed soaking up a little atmosphere myself.

But there was also the expected mayhem without consequences to keep things moving, like her setting a cop car on fire (the cops escaped, no injuries!) or firebombing an entire ship in dock. Laughing

I've also been watching Argonavis, which is some sort of offshoot of Bang Dream! with a cgi boy band, and all the songs from all the bands are about claiming the world! Gonna fight for my dream! Gonna walk my path! No one can stop me from walking my path and fighting for my dream to claim the world!!!, so the lyrics to Asuka's songs about being a bored and lonely bad-ass teenager in the gloomy city were a refreshing change. "There are idiots who light fireworks and ignore the sparks," was a nice line. Also, "Ah, ah, ah, bad girl battle! The choking sound annoys me," and "Fourteen! Visions of Saturday! I can't stop even if I wanted to. Violence!" Of course "violence" is in English. So much better than "We're not destined to give up yet!" and "(Break down) Something like destiny. I'll crush it with my hand."

On a completely different note, I just finished up watching the DC of Re: Zero and the OVAs (you inspired me to get on that), and then today ran across a Cracked article that surprised me with the realization that Betelgeuse was named for an elite vineyard in Burgundy, the Romanee-Conti, famed for its ridiculously expensive vintages. As they put it, "The average wine lover would gnaw through his own arm just to get a sip of Romanee-Conti, which retails at roughly the price of a second-hand car per bottle." Or chew off their fingertips at least. Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:35 am Reply with quote
Ah, but Gina, did you watch all of the 25 Re:Zero shorts, too?!? Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:09 am Reply with quote
Weirdly one of the Re:Zero shorts that I always stuck in my mind was one involving Puck and a café. spoiler[Puck brings out a plate of food, struggling over its size because he is a "real cat" or something, and then rather than let Subaru eat the food Puck eats it instead because what the café really sells is just watching Puck be cute.] There really is not much actually special about the but for some reason I remember it as fondly as stuff from the main show. I think that I just love the character when he is at his most silly and prideful, which is cool for how he can contrast elsewhere.

You would expect him to be annoying, but I mostly liked him. That reminds me that I used to want a plush or something of the little guy.

To be on topic, I am actually a little happy that not much anime has been out in the last few days, instead had my attention on other things, like some political debates and making slow progress through The Last of Us 2. Wonder what it says that I have been enjoying a lighter load, that will probably be filled next season with shows returning from hiatus and new ones.

Oh, and I watched the 6th episode of the Pokémon: Twilight Wings, little short episodes more to do with the Pokémon games. Was a little disappointed how this one seemed to be the one about the character Allister, wo happens to be a character I like a lot, but feels like he was shortchanged because the episode mostly acted as a continuation of the first episode, I think a finale. At least he was both sweet and delightfully creepy.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I've been rewatching No Game No Life. It's really good like I remembered. Oddly I'm finding Shiro to be kinda overbearingly moe in a way that's a bit annoying and I don't remember feeling like this about her when I first watched the show. From the cat smile to her voice, personality and sitting on Sora's lap she comes off as some kind of laser precisely created otaku bait character. Eh, saying that makes me sound like a snob. I love tsundere's, kuudere's and anime imoutos as much the next guy. But it doesn't help that the show is run by Sora. His personality and Yoshitsugu Matsuoka's performance is what drives the show for me. Shiro just doesn't have that kind of presence even though the show gives her plenty of chances to shine.

Out of the secondary characters I like Jibril. She's goofy and just fun to watch. Helps that I find her VA's voice to be really sexy. I've seen the movie spoiler[though so I know what horrible crime she has done]. Bad Jibril.

I've also been very, very slowly watching Strike the Blood 3 OVAs. I remember liking the first TV show, but the OVAs have been kinda meh in my opinion. I dunno why exactly. I think the 2nd season OVAs might have had bad pacing, but maybe my tastes have just changed over the years. I think it might just have a very repetitive story formula. Not sure.

Also I watched a few episodes of Gleipnir. I don't find it particularly good, but I wasn't expecting it to be either. The animation has been surprisingly good though. I plan to watch it all the way, but it might take me a while. An episode here, an episode there, I'll get through it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I had put No Guns Life in my Will Not Finish folder after episode 5 when it first came out. I can't even remember why at this point. I think that was during a particularly full anime season and I was feeling pressured to pare back my list of currently airing shows. It's always kind of nagged at me, so I decided to watch episode 6 and I'm glad I did. Believe it or not, I did the same thing with Ascendance of a Bookworm - dropped it after six eppies - then went back to it. Anyway, it'll be easy to get through the 1st season of NGL before the second season starts later in the month.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ah, but Gina, did you watch all of the 25 Re:Zero shorts, too?!? Wink

I saw some of them at one time, but kept forgetting to keep up with them. Didn't feel worth the effort. Same thing with the Overlord shorts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:54 pm Reply with quote
So not only did I watch the 7 episodes of No Guns Life that were remaining in Season 1 after I dropped last fall, but I even went back and rewatched the first five... then rated the series as Excellent. Wow, I guess I just wasn't vibing on it when it first came out but something obviously changed for me. Now I'm looking forward to season 2 starting up this week.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Children of the Sea was pretty. It was all right up my alley up until they went full Fantasia toward the end. It wasn't the psychedelic imagery, which wasn't as spectacular as it thought it was, or the we're all connected message, which is a good one. But the patriarchal baggage of woman-as-vessel kinda rubbed me the wrong way in the presentation of the message. I still don't know what the poles at the beginning were supposed to signify, what culture they belong to, or why they kept showing them during the sportsball game. But I really liked the old woman and the sea. Sail on, Lady, sail on.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I have just experienced* this
http://youtu.be/TahBHw69p_E
I thought it was important to share
* because "watched" is too weak of a word for this
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

That scene from Chiyo's School Road always gets me, what an amazing couple of dorks.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:57 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

That was a bizarre, but worthwhile experience. Thanks.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:26 am Reply with quote
Oh god, I loved that show so much. A classic example of reading the Encylopedia summary and thinking, "man, that sounds lame" but then loving the actual execution. I'm kind of shocked I didn't remember the scene in that clip.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Chio's School Road was (somewhat surprisingly) incredibly fun. I didn't expect the author (a known h-doujin artist) to have this good of a knack for comedy (though his doujin do tread that territory). Of course, the anime also has voices I love so that helped, but the content itself was also really good, except for pretty much just two characters (kabbadi senpai and homeless man). Everything else gets a thumbs up from me, and I'm gonna read the manga eventually.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I felt like watching something light-hearted and fun and I remembered Chio's School Road from this thread. Somehow I had completely overlooked this show because I didn't know it existed until the folk here talked about it. Since it is on Crunchyroll I decided to watch it. It's actually really funny. So thank you kind sirs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1030 of 1065