• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ken Akamatsu Comments on Casting POC Voice Actors in American Cartoons, Japanese Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
This issue regarding voice acting and race is complex. I'm not an english speaker, so I usually watch foreign media with subtitles or dubbed into spanish and we never had to deal with these kind of problems, but I can see why in the U.S. there's a push for more diverse cast choices. I think the issue with voice acting is clearer with original productions, for example none of the actors in Disney's Aladdin was of middle eastern descent, I'm sure that people complained about the lack of representation so in movies like Mulan and Coco they made sure that the voice cast was from the same ethnicity as the characters, so the performances could feel more authentic.
In dubs, on the other hand, you're taking a foreign work, which in the case of anime was voiced entirely by japanese, so you just need to find an actor who fits the character or sounds smilar to the original, so I don't know if a voice actor has to be the same race as his character.
I am just expressing my opinion as a south-american, I know that this is a hotly debated topic in the U.S.
ZephyrVayu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
For a whole generation of white kids like me, he defined our assumption of how SEA talked and acted. And while the SEA people I've talked to liked seeing someone like them in a major TV show, the constant jokes by white people using his accent were microaggression hell. I'd like to know what an actual SEA person, with input by more than just white writers and directors, would bring to the role.

So... you yourself admit that SEA people you spoke to weren't offended by Apu, so you decided to get offended on their behalf?

Unfortunately, you are right. Hank Azaria was chosen to play Apu because the white writing staff thought his impression of a SEA accent was hilarious. Before they heard him do it they were considering getting an actual SEA VA to do it. That's unfortunate but it can't be changed now. We're talking 30+ years ago.

Ever since 'The Problem With Apu' we've focused on the negative aspects of Apu's portrayal (which I admit exist), but never on the positives: such as the fact that SEA characters were non-existent on American TV (and animation) in the early 90s. Apu broke barriers at the time. He ran his own business, was well-educated, a close friend of the family, very likable, and jokes specifically at the expense of his heritage were actually quite minimal. And yes, from our modern, "enlightened" perspective the character appears dated and caricatured now, mainly, if not entirely, due to his accent (the caricatured Indian-stereotype actually took a stronger form post-Golden Years, so in the 00s; before that Apu was one of the more multi-faceted characters). We as a society take baby-steps towards progress, and Apu was a step in the right direction. Seeing Apu in their living rooms every Sunday, a likable character average American families grew to love, created more racial tolerance, not less. He should be celebrated, not shunned. He was a character created with the best of intentions - in a show where EVERY character is a stereotype. 'The Simpsons' didn't discriminate, it mocked everyone, but in a jovial way.
strawberry_milk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Ken Akamatsu wrote:
However, I will say that the move to select actors on their race rather than their individual talents appears to go against the path that humanity has walked throughout history.

There is no singular path humanity has walked throughout history. Different cultures walk different paths. Some paths are similar, but to make a generalisation covering all humanity is essentially meaningless.

And if you're going to select a white actor to voice a POC character, then it's obvious you either can't afford or haven't looked hard enough to find a talented POC.

Unless you're saying an actor from one ethnicity can perform a character from a different ethnicity better than a talented actor of that ethnicity.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This whole Simpsons (and Family Guy) thing is ridiculous so I agree with him. When it comes to voice, the only thing that matters is the acting ability. And while I'm sure people here know how I feel about anime dubs, it's literally impossible to cast them all as Japanese actors that speak English. Simply impossible. As long as the person doing the voice doesn't do an obvious racist impression that caters to racist stereotypes, then there's no issue. The role just needs to be acted with sincerity.

Believe me, this is not just an American problem either: There's a discussion betwen voice actors from other non-English speaking countries about the same thing, and this is even more difficult to resolve. As an example, there's Mexico: We have a very small African-Mexican population, and very few Black Mexicans who are celebrities, like Lupita Nyong'o (who normally isn't identified as Mexican despite being born here, since much of her career is done in the States), Johnny Laboriel (who already died) and few others. The only African Mexican voice actor I know is Kalimba Marichal, but he quit voice acting years ago to pursue his singing career, and I think the situation is even worse in other countries. Heck, a few days ago, Megumi Ogata discussed the theme in her twitter account, since she and other Japanese VAs that also voiced anime or Japanese media also had done Japanese dubs of foreign media.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
For those speaking of casting choices being based on vocal talent alone, how do you judge who is best to voice a minority character? More specifically, how do a bunch of white people judge who would best voice a minority character, particularly when most/all of the auditioners are also white? You end getting Apu, probably the most famous SEA cartoon character in America if not the Western world. His voice and lyrical style is a caricature; and while I don't know what the casting decision was for Apu, but would it be surprising if the VA was chosen because a bunch of white people thought this white guy had the funniest caricature of a SEA accent?

For a whole generation of white kids like me, he defined our assumption of how SEA talked and acted. And while the SEA people I've talked to liked seeing someone like them in a major TV show, the constant jokes by white people using his accent were microaggression hell. I'd like to know what an actual SEA person, with input by more than just white writers and directors, would bring to the role.

One thing to remember is in regards to western animation, it's not uncommon for actors to come up with characters themselves. Mike Henry has said numerous times he created the character of Cleveland Brown himself. There was no audition or casting for the character, it was an inhouse creation by Mike himself who was also a writer on the show. So in cases like that no one is denied a role or passed over for discrimination because there was never any intention that other people to voice the character to begin with.
Obviously dubbing established characters is a different issue entirely.

In regards to Apu, I don't think it would have mattered personally. Mr. Washee Washee in Family Guy is voiced by an Asian actor but he still talks in the most stereotypical thick Asian accent and his whole character is being the stereotypical Chinese laundry guy. Meanwhile the City Wok guy is the same for Chinese food restaurant owners in South Park, only he's voiced by Trey himself. So we have two huge stereotypical characters but one is voiced by a white guy and the other an Asian guy, does it really make a difference though? There's no reason to assume a character will be less stereotypical or criticized if their voiced by a minority. When FF7 Remake was announced people complained about Barret's new voice actor sounding stereotypical despite the fact it was still a black actor voicing him in the English dub. People will take issue no matter who's voicing the character if they want to.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
For those speaking of casting choices being based on vocal talent alone, how do you judge who is best to voice a minority character? More specifically, how do a bunch of white people judge who would best voice a minority character, particularly when most/all of the auditioners are also white? You end getting Apu, probably the most famous SEA cartoon character in America if not the Western world. His voice and lyrical style is a caricature; and while I don't know what the casting decision was for Apu, but would it be surprising if the VA was chosen because a bunch of white people thought this white guy had the funniest caricature of a SEA accent?

One thing to remember is in regards to western animation, it's not uncommon for actors to come up with characters themselves. Mike Henry has said numerous times he created the character of Cleveland Brown himself. There was no audition or casting for the character, it was an inhouse creation by Mike himself who was also a writer on the show. So in cases like that no one is denied a role or passed over for discrimination because there was never any intention that other people to voice the character to begin with.

In regards to Apu, I don't think it would have mattered personally. Mr. Washee Washee in Family Guy is voiced by an Asian actor but he still talks in the most stereotypical thick Asian accent and his whole character is being the stereotypical Chinese laundry guy. Meanwhile the City Wok guy is the same for Chinese food restaurant owners in South Park, only he's voiced by Trey himself. So we have two huge stereotypical characters but one is voiced by a white guy and the other an Asian guy, does it really make a difference though? There's no reason to assume a character will be less stereotypical or criticized if their voiced by a minority. When FF7 Remake was announced people complained about Barret's new voice actor sounding stereotypical despite the fact it was still a black actor voicing him in the English dub. People will take issue no matter who's voicing the character if they want to.

Not sure that pointing out that white people made racist caricatures is the slam dunk you think it is.
Aki_Leaves

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:30 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Not sure that pointing out that white people made racist caricatures is the slam dunk you think it is.

He is referencing only Cleveland in regards to characters invented by voice actors. Cleveland absolutely is not some awful racist caricature. He's just a black guy.

His mention of Apu was for a completely different point than the previous.

[Edit]: removed snark and unnecessary embedded quotes. Errinundra.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:57 am Reply with quote
Ken Akamatsu wrote:
I will say that the move to select actors on their race rather than their individual talents appears to go against the path that humanity has walked throughout history.

Well, that's gonna be a "yikes" from me.

Since not everyone understands the problems with that comment: it's kind of the standard argument against affirmative action, and doesn't make much sense because the only reason we're considering doing that is because talent is not the only deciding factor. Race often takes precedence over it, in this and many other areas--if not in the hiring decision itself, then in the socioeconomic bias throughout the rest of the applicant's life. The overall proportion of PoC in any popular profession tends to be smaller than their share of the population as a whole. Swapping out some white actors playing non-white characters is an obvious place to start adjusting that.

The other problem is the claim that talent has generally overridden corruption, nepotism, racism, etc. throughout history. I don't even know where to start with that one.

Japanese racism, as in most parts of the world, mostly relates to its geographical neighbors with whom it has the most uncomfortable/violent history (Korea and China). So they may feel like they have a bit of a high horse on this issue, even though they have similar problems with different-looking people. Though depictions of Black people in anime, when they happen to appear, usually range from "oblivious" to "straight-up importing American racism," so that's a whole other thing.

[Edit]: I've identified who you've quoted. Please do that in future, so people can check out the context, especially when you abbreviate or edit the quote. Errinundra.
strawberry_milk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:47 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
strawberry_milk wrote:
I will say that the move to select actors on their race rather than their individual talents appears to go against the path that humanity has walked throughout history.

[Edit]: I've identified who you've quoted. Please do that in future, so people can check out the context, especially when you abbreviate or edit the quote. Errinundra.

If it helps, that's not my quote, it's Ken Akamatsu's.

I pretty much agree with everything kotomikun wrote.
Q4000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:00 am Reply with quote
ZephyrVayu wrote:
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
For a whole generation of white kids like me, he defined our assumption of how SEA talked and acted.

Hank Azaria was chosen to play Apu because the white writing staff thought his impression of a SEA accent was hilarious. Before they heard him do it they were considering getting an actual SEA VA to do it.

Ever since 'The Problem With Apu' we've focused on the negative aspects of Apu's portrayal (which I admit exist), but never on the positives: such as the fact that SEA characters were non-existent on American TV (and animation) in the early 90s... ...And yes, from our modern, "enlightened" perspective the character appears dated and caricatured now, mainly, if not entirely, due to his accent (the caricatured Indian-stereotype actually took a stronger form post-Golden Years, so in the 00s...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you two say SEA, do you mean Southeast Asia? AFAIK, Apu was from India, which isn't part of SEA. I'd just like to correct that.
From someone actually from Southeast Asia.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:15 am Reply with quote
So do you all here defending "the best possible talent for voices" are conveniently ignoring they never go the "best possible writers" to write these minority characters? Why we get caricatures instead of real people for the longest time? If you had from the ground up say had a better character creation in the writing room, then you would have the criteria that would might have been better met with someone that better represented the character in real life, and not the approximations they can just tack a white person to.

And don't forget all of these hiring practices has created a system that will constantly reinforce the desire to hire legacy, white actors. The actors that got in when it was easier will then get hired again, while everyone else who can't break past inherit biases will never have a similar life legacy to back up their hiring potential. We have to force these kinds of casting to give more people a way to build that legacy so that they don't then have to keep justifying their jobs to people like you.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:53 am Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
How about casting any person as a voice actor to voice any character just by the sole prerequisite of them being good at their jobs. Has anybody thought about that oooor...??

This doesn't actually work, but the reasons are kinda complex.

So. Biased decisions lead to biased outcomes. But biased decisions act on previous decisions, which means biases multiply, expotentiate. If there's ten decisions each with a one percent bias then the end result isn't a one percent bias but a nine-and-a-half percent bias. And with a hundred decisions, each biased one percent, there's going to be a sixty-three percent bias. And ond percent is a pretty small bias, and careers are a result of hundreds PLURAL of decisions.

We can't as a practical matter get individual biases down low enough. I wouldn't pass, neither would you. If the decision-making community is diverse the biases will be in random directions and cancel out... but if the decision-making community isn't diverse, then the biases are correlated and will multiply. Including decisions about who's included in the decision-making community, which means that once you get a problem of non-diverse viewpoints in control of a situation it won't rectify itself.

So, we need something stronger than good faith and wishful thinking. We could use things like quotas, where we flat-out presume that more than a certain discrepency between population and outcome is a result of correctable bigotry. This actually works pretty well, but it's kind of brute-force and ugly. "Only members of X group should ordinarily dp Y thing" works kind of analogously to a quota -- guarantees access -- with advantages and disadvantages you can probably work out yourself.

Ken Akamatsu seems to mean reasonably well, but it turns out that the whole thing is complex enough that Just Your Intuition will often lead you astray. Experts have expertise! knowing the limits of your intuition is wise!!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:47 am Reply with quote
strawberry_milk wrote:
If it helps, that's not my quote, it's Ken Akamatsu's.

I pretty much agree with everything kotomikun wrote.

Thanks. Fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:57 am Reply with quote
ZephyrVayu wrote:
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:

So... you yourself admit that SEA people you spoke to weren't offended by Apu, so you decided to get offended on their behalf?

Unfortunately, you are right. Hank Azaria was chosen to play Apu because the white writing staff thought his impression of a SEA accent was hilarious. Before they heard him do it they were considering getting an actual SEA VA to do it. That's unfortunate but it can't be changed now. We're talking 30+ years ago.

Ever since 'The Problem With Apu' we've focused on the negative aspects of Apu's portrayal (which I admit exist), but never on the positives: such as the fact that SEA characters were non-existent on American TV (and animation) in the early 90s. Apu broke barriers at the time. He ran his own business, was well-educated, a close friend of the family, very likable, and jokes specifically at the expense of his heritage were actually quite minimal. And yes, from our modern, "enlightened" perspective the character appears dated and caricatured now, mainly, if not entirely, due to his accent (the caricatured Indian-stereotype actually took a stronger form post-Golden Years, so in the 00s; before that Apu was one of the more multi-faceted characters). We as a society take baby-steps towards progress, and Apu was a step in the right direction. Seeing Apu in their living rooms every Sunday, a likable character average American families grew to love, created more racial tolerance, not less. He should be celebrated, not shunned. He was a character created with the best of intentions - in a show where EVERY character is a stereotype. 'The Simpsons' didn't discriminate, it mocked everyone, but in a jovial way.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, but yes they were offended, hence the "microaggression hell" comment. But it isnt a zero sum situation where a group is either offended and hates a portrayal or not offended and they love it. Besides the group of course not being a monolith, people can appreciate that ANY portrayal of them is out there, but also be offended that that portrayal is a caricature. Particularly if jokes directed at them are constantly based around that caricature as the truth behind those jokes is that they are being reduced to that caricature. And in a white supremicist society, this reductionism in the aggregate can have real consequences for minorities, from minor annoyances to lethal dehumanization.

Honestly, I think we're saying the same thing - that it's complicated. Unfortunately the Internet isnt a good medium to transmitt nuance. Basically, we can't really fault where any minority comes down on how they are portrayed in media because we (royal we) aren't them. Would be nice if negative portrayals were as obviously bad and easily deplored as minstrels. No spoilers, but the 3rd season of Dear White People had an interesting thread of black people's opinions of their portrayals in media through a Tyler Perry esque director.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:

Those are good points. Plenty of minority actors have got to play characters of their ethnicity (great!), while also being constrained by the direction of white writers and directors that may fall into the whole of caricature (not as great). And perhaps even a minority character played by the characters ethnicity and with plenty of meaningful input by writers and/or directors of that ethnicity can still be portrayed as a caricature. I think as long as minority actors and writers are given the chance to have meaningful access to and input on characters like them, then there's less room for complaint as they themselves are deciding hiw they are portrayed in media. I think thats a point that's missed on many sides of this issue, at least in my experience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5