• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Force Anime Gets 2nd Season, Stage Play in Summer 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:14 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
As a fan of Fire Force, I’m excited it’s getting a second season but I do have to admit to being surprised it is after how it seemed like after the series premiere, the reactions became more polarized and Fire Force seemed to get overshadowed by Dr. Stone and Demon Slayer’s popularity. I hope David Productions will keep up with the great animation quality and I’m looking forward to seeing where the show goes next.
Currently watching Dr. Stone so can't give too much feedback on that, but after watching both Demon Slayer and Fire Force, I found FF to be a far more enjoyable anime. It's sad it's not getting the chance to shine as it deserves
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:01 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure where this talk of Fire Force not having a chance to shine or being over shadowed is coming from. Fire Force continues to be in the Top 5 most watched and discussed anime on Reddit every week as well as one of the top streamed anime on Crunchyroll. Demon Slayer and Dr. Stone might be more popular, but Fire Force is hardly some obscure series. There might be polarizing reactions from some people on certain topics, but a few fringe commenters don't speak for the anime fandom as a whole. Demon Slayer had plenty of detractors of its own who hated Nezuko for similar reasons and stirred up lots of discourse surrounding her character. It happens with every show these days.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Great news and Fire Force is my second favorite shonen anime of the year and like Soul Eater it has both creativity and heart.

JonDoe wrote:
Oh yes, lord forbid there be a swarm of people who are turned off by a brazenly sexist gimmick written by a 40 year old man.

Why do you expect shonen manga that is mostly made for teenage boys to remove fanservice due to a tiny percentage of people that get upset over it? It is fine to dislike it but it is worth mentioning that fanservice is one of the things that made it popular and fanservice is liked by the vast majority of the people that read shonen manga.

Ok, there's a few things wrong with this paragraph. First of all this is the umpteenth time someone's tried to use the whole "well it's targeted at teenage boys so who cares?" excuse, and as another user on this site called correctly stated (and I'm paraphrasing here), shonen titles are watched by people way out of their target demographic. So alienating huge chunks of your potential audience seems like a really dense thing to do.

Secondly you seem to be under the false impression that the existence of fanservice in this anime is what upsets people when that isn't the issue at all. What bugs people is the running gag about a girl being MOLESTED for the sake of a joke that wasn't even funny to begin with. If you can't fathom why that might piss a lot of people off in a post MeToo world than there's no helping you. And it's highly unlikely that fanservice alone is what made the show popular, I'm pretty sure it has more to do with David Productions incredibly impressive animation that got everyone talking when the first trailer dropped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2