• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fairy Gone (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
#24 End

Not a bad conclusion, Marlya and Veronica stopped the Beast as they said they would albeit in a slightly different fashion than I imagined. With this, Marlya can forget about the stigma of misfortune she has imagined herself to have since the start of the series and move on with her life. Wolfran surprisingly survived and wasn't arrested, but he's no longer any threat so Free probably closed one eye and let him return to his hometown. Everyone else gets back to the immense task of reconstruction and keeping Fairies in line.

Compared to the previous series by PA Works, this one has a better developed storyline but it's still too convoluted and difficult to keep track without taking notes. PA Works have no problems doing action scenes, but they've yet to find a balance between compelling storytelling and rushed plotlines serving as window dressing for said action scenes. I've enjoyed the series for its action, but whatever original franchise they come up with next needs to learn the lessons from this franchise and the ones which came before to deliver a better viewing experience.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:21 am Reply with quote
Huh, I never rated the first half of this series. I put in in a So-so (5/10) to tie that up. Onto the second half, I think that I will do the same; So-so (5/10), Didn't really grab my attention. Perhaps the second half was better than the first, but by that point I was just kind of done with the show, and never seemed to be able to grab my attention past how tired I was of it.

Not that I might necessarily have the answers, I think the show could have done better by actually sacrificing the action to focus on the world building. I do like things like fairy lore and gothic styles, but if not done right it just comes across as discount monster fights of style over substance. It cheapens the aesthetics. Running a thought experiment, as cool as sword fights and action can be in a sort of power fantasy, I think it could have been so much cooler if weakened characters. Even keep most of the designs, but instead of going for full motion CGI to get some cool fights, focus on making them alien and terrifying, that humans stand little chance against, kind of like the bear one we saw at the beginning of this season.

You could have them move less than in an easy to follow way, you could make it slower with lingering on their forms, before quick and terrifying movement. An example that comes to mid is from The Ancient Magus' Bride, where a bunch of action is not required to give atmosphere any particular fairy/Fae/Neighbour. Imagine if the fairy monsters in this could feel like Elias when he is in his monster form? And they could have done a lot on just focusing on the world building, what it is like in this society that acknowledges that monsters like fairies can exist, that presumably large settlements were a way interacting with them, and the came back like they did in the past war? It is a story about man no longer being controlled by nature, but bending it their will. Yet perhaps nature should be still respected and wisdom in it. So people fear nature, ignorant to it, or understand that it is now at the mercy of man. A lot could have been done with the still danger of the fairy monster at the control of humans, most being like a ghost of the creature the organ was taken from. The ones that were a true creation with a human, being some sort of insight into the nature of that human.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3