• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Adds Ni no Kuni Anime Film in U.S. on January 16

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I wish GKids would have licensed this movie instead.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
And still no mention of a date for Beastars... February/March is not “first thing in 2020” Netflix.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Awww yeah! This is awesome! I've wanted to see this for a while, and now I can! Woohoo! Very Happy
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I wish GKids would have licensed this movie instead.

Why? Just curious.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:53 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:

Why? Just curious.
Netflix means no US theatrical release or physical home video release. And like most of their anime they’ll probably just dump it without much marketing.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:

Why? Just curious.
Netflix means no US theatrical release or physical home video release. And like most of their anime they’ll probably just dump it without much marketing.

Well, the movie already bombed in Japan. And at this point, Level-5 is pretty much in the red; especially because of how poorly Yo-kai Watch 4 sold compared to its three predecessors.

I guarantee you that in the next few years, it will go the way of the original SNK and not only be sold to a company that knows nothing about the video game business (in my scenario, either Fujitsu: https://www.fujitsu.com/global/ or Kyocera: https://global.kyocera.com), but also file for bankruptcy.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:

Why? Just curious.

seven deadly sins got a release ,ajin got a release ,devilment crybaby got a release (but its Aniplex so say goodbye to ever owning it legitimately. off the top of my head,im sure their are more.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
unless it got released somewhere else in the world, Devilman Crybaby is only available on Netflix
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:

devilment crybaby got a release (but its Aniplex so say goodbye to ever owning it legitimately. off the top of my head,im sure their are more.

Crybaby got a release in Japan, but unless I'm missing something it's yet to get an official home video release in the US. Same with most of their acquisitions. There's still no home video for Little Witch Academia, ID-0, Kakegurui, B The Beginning, AICO Incarnation, Children of the Whales, Sword Gai The Animation, Aggretsuko (S1 or 2), Violet Evergarden, Lost Song, Last Hope, Hi Score Girl, Baki, Kengan Ashura, and there's been no word or sign for any of the shows they've licensed this year either. Safe to say the scant few that have gotten releases are the exception, not the rule.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:44 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
seven deadly sins got a release

And since then more of it was produced with no sign of a release for any of it at all.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:35 am Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:

seven deadly sins got a release ,ajin got a release ,devilment crybaby got a release (but its Aniplex so say goodbye to ever owning it legitimately. off the top of my head,im sure their are more.
Only Seven Deadly Sins' first season got released back when it was a Funimation license. Sentai's home video releases of Ajin and Knights of Sidonia are more the exception than the rule. None of these other shows have any home video releases and likely won't. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Netflix_original_anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1