• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Judge Rules Vic Mignogna Must Pay US$238,042 to Defendants in Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
purpleloops wrote:

At any rate, I'm not sure how most of you still have absolute contempt and disdain for Mignogna. He didn't exactly conduct himself poorly throughout the course of the suit. This case seems to have ended before anything could be properly assessed, with most of what was said and done has left more questions than answers. I have more contempt for his more hellacious fans and now clearly incompetent council than I have reason to outright dislike him.

Oh gee, how about the fact that he sued four defendants who had nothing to do with the rumors that have chased Vic for decades? How about the fact he sued two of his victims? How about the fact he is buddies with Nick Reikeita who has been doxxing, harassing, and deliberately lying about fundamental facts when it comes to defamation lawsuits?

How about the fact Vic not only used other peoples' money to sue, he then tried to hide his house from debt collectors in fraudulent transfer just less than one week after the presiding judge dismissed 12 of the 17 claims?

How about the fact he had attempted to sexually assault four people?

He's a sniveling coward who only wants to hurt people and not pay up for any of the consequences. Good riddance to bad trash.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:05 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I have not followed this case super closely (in part because I don't usually watch dubs, and didn't know who "Vic" was prior to this case; in part, because I've never taken much active interest in actors/actresses, of the voice variety or otherwise), but the last two pages had me wondering: is there actual video of Vic's demonstration of how he imagined "acceptable unsolicited hair-pulling" would be performed? I am legitimately curious to see that, to get a quick sense of how in/out of touch he is with the ramifications of his actions.

From my casual watching of this case, Mignogna comes off.. not actively malevolent, by any means, in his behavior in the legal proceedings (which I mean quite distinctly from the accusations he faces, which seem reasonably damning, and from fairly numerous sources), but certainly his actions have made me wonder if he's possessed by some kind of powerful, naive narcissism. I cannot imagine why anyone would enact a suit of this sort and then skip out on court dates, seemingly on a whim. It would make sense if he had done so after deciding they were lost causes, but his doubling down with his legal representation seems to make that an impossibility.

This is just the couple of seconds in which he demonstrates it. I admit that I didn't search real hard for the full video, but yes, it was during Vic's deposition in which he was trying to say that he didn't mean anything by it and didn't believe he hurt Jamie when he grabbed her hair, but he balls his hand up into a fist, kinda shakes it, and clenches his jaw when he demonstrates exactly how he did it.

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/EKjhUUeWwAgVrP5.mp4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I have not followed this case super closely (in part because I don't usually watch dubs, and didn't know who "Vic" was prior to this case; in part, because I've never taken much active interest in actors/actresses, of the voice variety or otherwise), but the last two pages had me wondering: is there actual video of Vic's demonstration of how he imagined "acceptable unsolicited hair-pulling" would be performed? I am legitimately curious to see that, to get a quick sense of how in/out of touch he is with the ramifications of his actions.

From my casual watching of this case, Mignogna comes off.. not actively malevolent, by any means, in his behavior in the legal proceedings (which I mean quite distinctly from the accusations he faces, which seem reasonably damning, and from fairly numerous sources), but certainly his actions have made me wonder if he's possessed by some kind of powerful, naive narcissism. I cannot imagine why anyone would enact a suit of this sort and then skip out on court dates, seemingly on a whim. It would make sense if he had done so after deciding they were lost causes, but his doubling down with his legal representation seems to make that an impossibility.

Edit: removed link because someone shared the exact part

Nick Reikeita, the youtube lawyer who started the GFM but does not actually represent him, did videos going over Vic's deposition, and even he was dumbfounded Vic admitted it under deposition
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh, thanks to both of you.

I was able to take the hand motion in MarzGurl's clip, and the related videos from yours, Lynx, and found that this is where Mignogna seems to actually do the demonstration (a link to about 1 hour into a 4.5 hour video on his deposition; I found the specific spot in about 30 seconds by quickly scrolling through bottom of the video feed and looking for places where his hands moved very much, if anyone's interested in that):

---- linked removed by moderators --- (seems I forgot there's an embargo on links to this Youtube channel, here; the point of posting it was just to show Mignogna's audio immediately before/after the "hair pulling" motion, to try to see how he described it in context. Maybe I'll chop out that part of the video and re-post it without the offending channel involved somehow; that is basically what MarzGurl did, except I wanted to grab the audio as well, and the few seconds prior to the action, too)

My sense is that his literal hand motion definitely does not look OK in any sense. I am not sure if his gesticulations should be read that literally, in context of his deposition, though. So, it is hard for me to view it as a smoking gun of any sort, meme-status aside.

This is entirely independent of my view of the case as a whole, to be clear; my impression is that he has had many independent accusers, and I think he's almost certainly guilty. I just think this particular example is poorly chosen, unless my analysis is mistaken or there's more to it.

EDIT: To clarify why I think this, maybe it would be good to provide a particular alternative interpretation of his 'illustration': the motion he made looks utterly awful if he took hold of Jaime's hair and shook in that manner. However, if what he did was to sort of lightly place his hand on her hair and gently vibrate it a bit, to indicate what he was talking about, I think he might illustrate that with the same hand motion. That is why I am not very convinced by the hand gesture used in his deposition; it seems, to me, to be ambiguous.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
purpleloops

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
purpleloops wrote:
At any rate, I'm not sure how most of you still have absolute contempt and disdain for Mignogna. He didn't exactly conduct himself poorly throughout the course of the suit.

Kinda disagree here. His obvious incomprehension during the deposition that he did anything wrong along with his comments at a signing along the lines of this is a war on hugs, combined with lack of appearances in person in court, especially when key decisions are made when he is the one who brought the suit forward is enough justification for the contempt and disdain against him.

"His obvious incomprehension that he did anything wrong"?
Let's pose a hypothetical: if you were in the middle of a suit, sueing people that you believe wrongfully accused you of abuse, misfeasance, whatever--would you be inclined to believe you committed a wrongdoing worth the liquidation of your own career? Likely not.

Anecdotally, I find it absolutely baffling, that even I, someone who believes Mignogna is likely liable of having committed wrongdoing, am able to assess this situation without an entire bias. The man can believe and say "this is a war of hugs" if he wants, especially if he doesn't think he did anything wrong. He isn't deserving of disdain and contempt for that. Mild distaste perhaps. We don't have much to go off of beyond conflicting affidavits and maligned depositions anyway. It just all boils down to personal belief now. I believe he abused those women, but I'm not going to sit here and say I know that for a fact.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
purpleloops wrote:
The man can believe and say "this is a war of hugs" if he wants, especially if he doesn't think he did anything wrong. He isn't deserving of disdain and contempt for that. Mild distaste perhaps.

So if a mother drowns her kids but doesn't believe she did anything wrong then by your logic she's not deserving of disdain. How about the guy who rapes 5 women? How about a handful of historical dictators and conquerors who killed millions of people but felt they did nothing wrong. Any disdain yet? Vic can think his conduct is ok all he wants. That doesn't make it anymore true than me believing that if I think really happy thoughts I can fly with Peter Pan and fight Captain Hook with a Super Saiyan God level Kamehameha while doing a cool JoJo pose.

purpleloops wrote:
We don't have much to go off of beyond conflicting affidavits and maligned depositions anyway. It just all boils down to personal belief now. I believe he abused those women, but I'm not going to sit here and say I know that for a fact.

Yea, witness testimony is nothing to go off of. Years of documented incidents is nothing to go off of. The person himself admitting some of the conduct in court is nothing to go off of. You claim to think he probably did it, but yet most of your posts scream of being a Vic apologist and victim blamer. Which btw we've said in every other thread is not going to fly. Which is why several of your posts are now gone.

As for everyone else let that be a reminder. Everyone should know by now what posts are not tolerated after countless threads of this crap. There will also be no linking to the youtube channels, or other platforms, of degenerates who harass and threaten others while inciting internet mob mentality. We now have 3 mods in this thread alone repeating messages and having to remove posts. Consider this the last warning.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Vic has had a hate mob chasing him around since before he got that roll for Edward Elric this is evident if you listen to Anncast "down with the vicness" he explains that he was getting death threats when he got that roll he's had a hate mob chasing around for many years these people love to hate Vic there's many sides to this politically and religiously. It has been pretty entertaining to watch ANN break terms of service and have their hate mob rule against Vic without proof all they have is hearsay conjecture and what they hear from third parties. I'm sure a lot worse is been going on down behind the subscriber paywall.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Vic has had a hate mob chasing him around since before he got that roll for Edward Elric this is evident if you listen to Anncast "down with the vicness" he explains that he was getting death threats when he got that roll he's had a hate mob chasing around for many years these people love to hate Vic there's many sides to this politically and religiously. It has been pretty entertaining to watch ANN break terms of service and have their hate mob rule against Vic without proof all they have is hearsay conjecture and what they hear from third parties. I'm sure a lot worse is been going on down behind the subscriber paywall.

I rather doubt anything major is going on in their subscriber count cause the general populace does not care about this Vic stuff enough to do anything along those lines.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
It has been pretty entertaining to watch ANN break terms of service and have their hate mob rule against Vic without proof all they have is hearsay conjecture and what they hear from third parties. I'm sure a lot worse is been going on down behind the subscriber paywall.

Breaking what now? with whom? What is this related to?
PatrickD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:01 am Reply with quote
Bastille wrote:
Weren't the bulk of the conventions that retained Vic as a guest ones that couldn't dump him for contractual reasons (Kameha Con), run by people who were also facing allegations of sexual harassment (Anime Matsuri), or were conventions that were more Comic Con than Anime Con?

Hi, I run AnimeCons.com. Just putting that out there so you know that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to anime conventions...

In 2018, Vic was a guest at 26 anime conventions.

In 2019, he was a guest at 6 anime conventions. 2 of them were in January before any of this started. The third was BakAnime, which was a couple days after accusations started getting posted public and getting traction, so the con really had no time to cancel. After that, TEN anime conventions cancelled Vic's appearances. Of the remaining 3 anime cons, one was Anime Matsuri and the other was Kameha Con (both mentioned in the above quoted post). The last anime con was a small thing in Rochester, NY.

Yes, he has been making some comic convention appearances, but they're usually VERY small. Some of these "conventions" don't even have an actual web site and the only online presence is a Facebook Event. That's the state of his convention career now. His convention bookings are WAY down and that's obvious to anyone looking at this. It's not because the defendants called on all these cons to cancel him...it's because Vic has a reputation and although some conventions had previously decided not to invite him, that list grew exponentially in 2019.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:09 am Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
It has been pretty entertaining to watch ANN break terms of service and have their hate mob rule against Vic without proof all they have is hearsay conjecture and what they hear from third parties. I'm sure a lot worse is been going on down behind the subscriber paywall.

Breaking what now? with whom? What is this related to?

If one has convinced themselves that Vic is the victim then any posts against him will be seen as victim blaming, I suppose.
Mirvana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:33 am Reply with quote
I'm curious. For the attorneys that Chupp under-rewarded fees, do they have to accept that money ($50,000) as their full compensation? Or do they then force the client to cover whatever the rest of the submitted bill was?

Because, at least as far as my understanding, by having the case dismissed by TCPA, Vic's on the hook for **all** the legal costs. So if they did still bill the rest to their client then Vic's not paying ALL of the costs. But I would think because it's a judge's ruling on "$50,000" the attorney's couldn't sue Vic for the rest.

So if they have a detailed bill that says their fees were $100,000, is the firm just out the other $50,000?
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:13 am Reply with quote
Mirvana wrote:
I'm curious. For the attorneys that Chupp under-rewarded fees, do they have to accept that money ($50,000) as their full compensation? Or do they then force the client to cover whatever the rest of the submitted bill was?

Because, at least as far as my understanding, by having the case dismissed by TCPA, Vic's on the hook for **all** the legal costs. So if they did still bill the rest to their client then Vic's not paying ALL of the costs. But I would think because it's a judge's ruling on "$50,000" the attorney's couldn't sue Vic for the rest.

So if they have a detailed bill that says their fees were $100,000, is the firm just out the other $50,000?

IANAL, but I believe in Texas, the judge decides how much the sanctions are, rather than simply covering every dime of their legal fees. I admit, I also Googled some of this. I'm quoting from here: http://www.texas-opinions.com/law-sanctions.html

"A sanction under Chapter 10 may include ordering a party to pay the reasonable
attorney’s fees incurred by the other party because of the filing of the frivolous pleadings."

I think the most important word here is probably "reasonable", and the numbers we're seeing are what Judge Chupp determined were reasonable. So, unless Vic is gonna end up appealing, that's what the number is.

I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mirvana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:12 am Reply with quote
Ok yeah i guess a determination on "reasonable" does make sense. And from what I heard, Chupp did question if the defenses were over/undercharging.

Just seems a bit "bleh" if the defendants wind up on the hook for the rest of the fees. I mean if Vic wasn't getting work at Funi before, he CERTAINLY ain't if they still have to put up thousands to pay the rest of the costs.

Also seems pretty shitty if you get SLAPPed, get it dismissed, but still wind up with a big legal bill because the judge didn't agree with the charges...
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Mirvana wrote:
Ok yeah i guess a determination on "reasonable" does make sense. And from what I heard, Chupp did question if the defenses were over/undercharging.

Just seems a bit "bleh" if the defendants wind up on the hook for the rest of the fees. I mean if Vic wasn't getting work at Funi before, he CERTAINLY ain't if they still have to put up thousands to pay the rest of the costs.

Also seems pretty shitty if you get SLAPPed, get it dismissed, but still wind up with a big legal bill because the judge didn't agree with the charges...

Yes that is what happens if the judge thinks the defendants are asking too much. and yes its shitty if that happens.

It's worse when it happens in states that have no anti-slapp laws, and I think there are over a dozen states without an equivalent to a TCPA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6