• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation President Hatta Considers Demolishing 1st Studio Building, Building Public Par

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:50 am Reply with quote
WIth all my heart support this
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:56 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
As for the GoFundMe, most people may not know how hard recovering from burn wounds can be. Burns can cause the most devastating injuries to the human body. Recovering physically can involve multiple surgeries and long rehabilitation periods. One survivor already had their legs amputated, and that’s within the first 3 days of the tragedy. Coming through this, for each individual survivor, is going to be a difficult journey and they deserve every medical advancement and rehabilitation service available, which can become expensive (especially since some treatments are only available internationally or are considered experimental). For example, if this survivor is able to get prosthetic legs, they should be able to get the best, custom made prosthetics available, even if it requires travel to acquire. A fund for the survivors to be able to access the best health services all over the world will come in handy.

Content Warning, life changing injury:

The other thing that occurred to me is if any of the survivors lost hands, fingers or just dexterity from nerve damage. That means they will likely not be able to draw anymore and not only is that a loss of income but fundamentally going to be massively detrimental to their mental health as they won't be able to do something that they probably loved any more and that a lot of artists use to work through trauma. Not only have lives been lost but so much might have been stolen even from the survivors on a fundamental level.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
On one hand, I understand not wanting to mention you-know-who by name, but on the other... I can't help but feel like that warning is promoting censorship.

It caused me to use another news source, but their explanation is based from a place of kindness and empathy, a good principal, although anger and outrage at the arsonist is valid. We can get the pitchforks after the details surrounding the victims have been verified and respectfully revealed. I am against censorship in any form, but there is a human element here that is often lost in text-based news and communication, and nothing on ANN's part seems malicious or the manipulative use of information--a hallmark of true censorship and enemy of all of us.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
The Go Fund Me page says

Quote:
More than thirty people lost their lives and scores of others were seriously injured. The purpose of this drive is to collect funds for their benefit. Our team in Japan is in communication with KyoAni representatives.

and also

Quote:
We plan to end the fundraising phase of this drive on July 31. After this drive concludes, we intend to deliver 100% of the funds directly to those in need, either directly through Kyoto Animation, or through partnering with a local, Japan-based organization that can ensure that funds are delivered to the KyoAni staff and their families impacted. We are working with our contacts in Japan in coordination with KyoAni to finalize this plan.

No funds will be withdrawn until the plan for aid distribution is completed and approved in cooperation with KyoAni. We will provide the details of that final plan in a follow-up post on this page.

I think "partnering with a local, Japan-based organization" might be the better option. That way, KyoAni wouldn't be directly involved in making calls about what bills to pay or what payments to make to individuals. KyoAni's financial state and how employees will feel about them in the future are both not certain, so having the funds distributed by an organization besides KyoAni could be better. The organization could still coordinate with KyoAni when that would be appropriate. Either way, it's good that over 2 million US dollars have been raised to distribute, that should help.
Uraraka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
I'd like to send my deepest condolences to the victims and their families of Kyoani. This is by far the biggest loss of the history of animation, and the loss is beyond my words. I still cannot believe how this could happen even after a week has passed.
At the same time, it is comforting to see the anime community has shown tremendous support to Kyoani and I'm proud of myself being a part of the community. I sent my donation directly to their bank that is listed on their official website (it is Japanese but the bank info is in English). I'd recommend this direct way if you are confused which fundraising you should use.
http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/information/?id=3075
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3