• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BanG Dream! Boys Argonavis Stream 1st Single's Anime MV Short

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, it was obvious from the very moment they were announced as part of Bandori's franchise. But I did not expect that this animation would be so bandori-ish, especially considering that their original character design was done in a style unusual for a franchise.
Wellington

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:17 pm Reply with quote
>Start off as an all girls series
>Make a boys version because WE WANT MORE MONEY AND PEOPLE!!!
Really sad that things like this treat themselves as brands instead of being what they are from the start.
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why male fans feel so threatened by female-oriented IPs being done by companies that make series/games aimed at them. In this case, even being separated by an entire universe just isn't enough to stop people from acting like the Bandori girls are somehow going to be tainted from sharing a label with ARGONAVIS, even if they share nothing else.

It's really weird. Like, the company didn't want to make money until they started making stuff you weren't interest in? Bandori was made out of the goodness of their hearts, but ARGONAVIS is just a soulless cash grab? Really?
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Wellington wrote:
>Start off as an all girls series
>Make a boys version because WE WANT MORE MONEY AND PEOPLE!!!
Really sad that things like this treat themselves as brands instead of being what they are from the start.

News flash buddy: the original girls game was created for the sole purpose of making lots of money off of people with gambling issues.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:06 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
I wonder why male fans feel so threatened by female-oriented IPs being done by companies that make series/games aimed at them. In this case, even being separated by an entire universe just isn't enough to stop people from acting like the Bandori girls are somehow going to be tainted from sharing a label with ARGONAVIS, even if they share nothing else.

It's really weird. Like, the company didn't want to make money until they started making stuff you weren't interest in? Bandori was made out of the goodness of their hearts, but ARGONAVIS is just a soulless cash grab? Really?

In this case, I don't think most male fans care that a female targeted version is being made. It's just a few...individuals making a big fuss, like they always do when a property with a primarily female cast dares to have male character(s). I won't speculate as to what is behind their particular hangups, as this isn't the place, but I just wanted to say they aren't representative of male fans in general (we're talking like 3-4 people on this site out of how many users). I mean, there wasn't this sort of objection from fans of Idolm@ster when they came out with Side M (Personally, I watched and enjoyed it as I did with the original anime and Cinderella Girls), likely because male characters and male idols had already existed in the anime, which these guys complaining about the male version of Bandori would avoid.
Wellington

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:55 pm Reply with quote
https://magnavalon.com/2019/05/20/bang-dream-interview-with-bushiroads-takaaki-kidani-the-path-and-future-of-bang-dream-project-part-2/

Here's an interview from Kidani himself. He knew that it's gonna be tough making Argonavis appealing. He even admitted that female fans of the girl bands don't like them at all. The boy band's Twitter account mentions the girl bands but the girls band's account don't do the same. It's obvious that Bushiroad knows they're shooting themselves in the foot with this. The problem is not with the boy band themselves but it's the fact that they're using another IP's name so their boy project can garner audience,

musouka wrote:

Key statement even being separated by an entire universe. If that's the case why not just make a different IP with those boys instead using another IP's name for them? Why take the risk of pissing your fans off, because you want it to be a money-laundering capital brand? Better yet, why didn't Bang Dream have boys in the first place if you wanted to have boy bands after all? This is like modern games and movies shoving their political agendas down their loyal fans' throats. The girl bands are already female-oriented, there's no need for it to have boy bands. If Idolmaster and Bang Dream's idea of making boy versions great and marketable, we would've seen every yuri and all girls series (Yuruyuri, KOn, Azumanga, etc.) getting their own and vice versa. Frankly, this Argonavis project is utterly worthless for Bang Dream. Bushiroad is capable of making successful IPs so Argonavis should have been its own IP. I seriously hope they won't do this BS on Revue and other all girls projects.

Last edited by Wellington on Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Except iM@S SideM was actually very successful, even with fans of original iM@S, so....

musouka wrote:

These are the same people that get angry when Precure and My Little Pony doesn't appeal to them. Laughing

Last edited by ninjamitsuki on Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wellington

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
So why won't Love Live have its own SideM? Why not Kemono Friends, or Yuruyuri, or KOn, or Azur Lane, or any Kirara series like Kinmoza and Gochiusa? Hell, Onsen Musume was gonna have male idols but that got shot down. There's nothing wrong about making profit by sticking to your roots.

Last edited by Wellington on Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Wellington wrote:
So why won't Love Live have its own SideM? Why not Kemono Friends, or Yuruyuri, or KOn, or Azur Lane, or any Kirara series like Kinmoza and Gochiusa? Hell, Onsen Musume was gonna have male idols but that got shot down. There's nothing wrong about making profit by sticking to your roots.

Because no one's forcing them to? Also Yuru Yuri, K-on, Kinmoza, and Gochiusa were made by mangaka, not literal ad agencies?
Wellington

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Guess what? No fan of Bang Dream forced Bushiroad to give them Argonavis. Bushiroad forced themselves to make that project even though the fans never asked them that and they were happy that Bang Dream was all girls. For literal ad agencies, we have Kancolle and Azur Lane and they don't have their own SideMs. If we look at the female-oriented side, Touken Ranbu, Yuri on Ice, Free, and Uta no Prince don't have their male-oriented versions. Anyway, I have already spoken enough about my frustration on this franchise and I am sorry for going off-topic. Thanks for the discussion, everyone.

Last edited by Wellington on Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:31 pm Reply with quote
So making a conscious decision because they want to give it a go is "forcing themselves"?

Also, Rainy Cocoa had a season with an all-female cast and I don't recall anyone acting that damn insecure or angry about it. Laughing Not to mention Touken Ranbu is essentially the spear counterpart to Kancolle.

[Edit]: removed snark. Errinundra.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
@ninjamitsuki The key problem is that girls are rather tolerant of female characters in one form or another, while the guys are traditionally very conservative and therefore hate any male fanservice in very homophobic way, even if it is used for heterosexual plot. Of course, I met female fans with a similar mindset, not to mention the part of yaoi fandom that hates female characters, but usually girls have no problems either with the passion over cute girls, or with viewing them as their favorite role model.

This is easily seen in the example of female characters in all male franchises and male in all female. If ordinary girls usually have a positive attitude to pleasant female characters, then the slightest mistake of a male character in an all female franchise quickly causes hatred and the desire to remove from the guys. It is for this reason that you will easily find hatred for harem's male MC, while few will sincerely hate female MC in the reverse harem.

Not to mention the fact that the reason for the emergence of yuri as a female genre, and not the Japanese version of "hot lesbians", is largely based on this. So, I perfectly understand the Kidani-sensei position when he says that it’s more convenient for them to make Bandori a more female-focused franchise and add guys than to focus only on male fans. But as you can see for yourself, male fandom is so far from understanding this that they even quotes words about it as an argument in their favor, lol.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:20 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:

Also, Rainy Cocoa had a season with an all-female cast and I don't recall anyone acting that damn insecure or angry about it.

To be fair, nobody acted in any way about Rainy Cocoa since barely anybody watched it. Less than 5k members on MAL and a sub 5/10 rating is one of the worst I've seen for a 2 minute episode series.

To put that on the same level of the popular mobage/anime franchise Bang Dream or The Idolm@ster series is laughable.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:19 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:

Also, Rainy Cocoa had a season with an all-female cast and I don't recall anyone acting that damn insecure or angry about it.

To be fair, nobody acted in any way about Rainy Cocoa since barely anybody watched it. Less than 5k members on MAL and a sub 5/10 rating is one of the worst I've seen for a 2 minute episode series.

To put that on the same level of the popular mobage/anime franchise Bang Dream or The Idolm@ster series is laughable.

Yeah, it's the only example I can think of of an all-male series receiving an all-female version so it is kind of grasping at straws I admit.

But continuing.... Probably the thing that started this whole trend is Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side, which no one got angry over it. Hell, it ended up selling better than the mainline games. Aaaaaand literally nobody even asked for it, it came out of nowhere during a time when otome games weren't all that popular but it was still a hit.. But apparently going "You know what, maybe we could pull off what TMGS did" is a political statement now. Confused

What I'm asking is, why is iDOLM@STER SideM, Da Capo Girls's Symphony, TMGS et al okay, but THIS is different and evil and a threat? What happened to don't like, don't watch/play? Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's necessary to make spinoffs for every possible media franchise for every possible demographic, and I don't think this was necessary either, but if someone truly wants to branch out, I say let them. It's completely harmless.
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:17 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:

What I'm asking is, why is iDOLM@STER SideM, Da Capo Girls's Symphony, TMGS et al okay, but THIS is different and evil and a threat? What happened to don't like, don't watch/play? Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's necessary to make spinoffs for every possible media franchise for every possible demographic, and I don't think this was necessary either, but if someone truly wants to branch out, I say let them. It's completely harmless.
So just a quick search on google and Tokimeki Memorial looks to be a dating sim while if I remember correctly Da Capo is an eroge also Idolm@ster has that producer dude. From what I can tell all three already have significant male characters hence they would not appeal to someone like me who enjoys all female cast shows (obviously I cant speak for all such fans). The issue with Bang Dream is that they are adding male characters into a universe that is all female which in my opinion would be terrible if that is what was actually happening. As far as I know most people calmed down after they assured people the universes were separate and no significant male characters would be in the bang dream world. I dont believe there are that many people who are upset about this version existing anymore but as a fan of all female cast shows this is the best explanation I can give as too why someone would be upset over this and not others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2