• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
15 Years of Samurai Champloo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lann

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:32 am Reply with quote
I think my picture says enough. Its my favourite anime. period. Its been that way since it came out. Some things have nearly topped it but Champloo has a mix of themes and every episode does something special. Theres no wasted space. Perfection is perfection. This story has a beginning, middle and end. no filler, nothing drawn out nor rushed. A lot of anime seem to think that more is better. I also hate watching elements of anime that are blatant copycats of other anime series. Again Champloo doesn't do this. Bebop copies elements from all sorts of other things, which is cool and fine too, but somehow Champloo stays itself and pure and never makes me think 'oh this bit is similar to such and such'.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:28 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

Probably Biggie and Tupac etc....

You know the reason for two of the biggest and bloodiest gangs in US history that didn't involve the mafia.

You did understand that what I pointed out was that, in regards to relationships with significant others, loyalty is not a prevalent theme in rap music. Hence, why I also pointed out that it would have been better to have specified "allies" instead of just applying the word "loyalty".

I know, semantics are difficult.
LaSean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:37 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

Probably Biggie and Tupac etc....

You know the reason for two of the biggest and bloodiest gangs in US history that didn't involve the mafia.
Slightly diverging off topic but how are Tupac and Biggie responsible for the Crips and Bloods? You shouldn't comment on things you know nothing about.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

What songs are you listening to, Condry? I don't think Snoop Dogg, Warren G, Dre or any of the rappers from the 1990s were concerned about loyalty when they were talking about their tricks and Bs. It probably would have been better to have mentioned that the only loyalty that concerned rappers as far as music in that era was that of loyalty to your boys.

They were concerned about loyalty, just a different sort of it. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you seem to assuming or implying that loyalty implies loyalty to one's significant other specifically (or exclusively?), while glossing over other examples of loyalty. As you pointed out loyalty to your "boys", your city, your family, etc, is extremely important in hip-hop culture. Just because the concepts of loyalty and honor are different does not mean they do not exist. And that's what I think Champloo does a good job presenting. Jin and Mugen appear to be polar opposites at first glance, but under the surface they really are a lot more alike than it appears.
Faintly Macabre

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:45 am Reply with quote
Samurai Champloo is one of my all-time favorites. I love things with unusual and eccentric style and SC has it in spades.

It's also one of my favorite dubs of the era, even knowing the liberties taken and with my general distaste for the fifteening trend rampant at the time in mind. One of the funniest damned things I've ever heard was Steve Blum shouting, "Beat it! I want my nookie!"
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Faintly Macabre wrote:
Samurai Champloo is one of my all-time favorites. I love things with unusual and eccentric style and SC has it in spades.

It's also one of my favorite dubs of the era, even knowing the liberties taken and with my general distaste for the fifteening trend rampant at the time in mind. One of the funniest damned things I've ever heard was Steve Blum shouting, "Beat it! I want my nookie!"

The random trio of rappers in the Yoshitsune episode was one of my favorites. "The dude's so handsome all the bitches wanna pants 'im!"
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:00 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

It's a shame that those like gridsleep just needlessly condemn the U.S. without learning the full history behind it. They don't try to learn the other side of the story. They just attack America for no good reason.

Even if what you said is true doesn't make the U.S. "forcing" Japan to open it's borders via Gunboat Diplomacy any less problematic especially given what would happen in 1941 which may very well would not have happened had the Japanese continued to isolate themselves from the rest of the world.

Also if you want to know why people condemn the U.S. constantly for things it does you only need to look at our country's checkered history some of which people actually try to justify even in the modern era.

gridsleep wrote:

Also, just as an unrelated note, how much better the live action Ghost in the Shell might have been had they actually gotten Carrie-Anne Moss (the real Motoko Kusanagi) instead of sex kitten Scarlett Johanssen. And a different director. And writer. And special effects. And publicity department.Let's face it, if anyone other than Hollywood had done it. Anyone.

At most it would've been as successful as Alita at worst a bomb big enough to rival Dark Phoenix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2