• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 10 Minutes of New Shin Evangelion Film to Screen at Anime Expo, Japan Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:51 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Funnily enough, an unverified but plausible-sounding reason for the delay has been doing the rounds on twitter today.

https://twitter.com/fooly_cooly/status/1142730726607114240

TLDR: Either Funimation wasn't respectful to the material, Khara executives didn't understand that US cons are predominantly teenage nerd party weekends and made poor assumptions based on limited data, or fans simply ruin everything. Pick your interpretation.

That's interesting.

Going off the story, it really does sound like a bit of everything gone wrong. But it does seem that...

Step 1) Funi screwed up first by taking liberties with some lines to cater purely to fan reaction. But did this during scenes intended to be serious.

Step 2) Fan reacted as expected. Unfortunately this was over those scenes that were to be taken seriously and paid attention to.

Step 3) Khara representative took note of this obvious discrepancy. Deduced correctly that Funi took liberties that were to the detriment of the scenes.

Step 4) Khara then takes a more heavy handed approach. Not just correcting those scenes Funi took liberties with, but also going way further and potentially messing up scenes that Funi actually did a good/appropriate localization of.

Step 5) Delays + ???

Step 6) Profit

I still believe Funimation is in the house for 4.0 and the dub. If only due to possible contractual obligations.

But it does look as though the Netflix deal and Netflix dub could be a result of Funi and Khara not seeing eye to eye from 3.0 and thus this has soured the relationship.

Wouldn't surprise me if Netflix is right now attempting a deal with Khara for live-action Eva movie/TV show adaptation.
Swami.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's hard to get excited about the next Rebuild movie after the debacle that was the third one, but maybe it'll blow away all expectations. Let's hope Anno is refreshed and actually had some ideas this time around. Preferably good ones, but after 3.33, I'd settle for any ideas at all, because there weren't any in that.

Then don't watch the movie. Don't ruin the experience for us with your negativity. Stick with NGE.

Last edited by Swami. on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:00 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Are we going to find out who's licensed the movie at AX if the screening is happening there? I'm expecting Funimation to get it, but the incident with 3.33 makes me believe that Studio Khara might have the license go to someone else like Eleven Arts or GKIDS, possibly with a completely different dub cast...it's wild speculation on my part but I feel like that's a very real outcome.

I thought the reason for Funi taking so long to release Eva 3 was BECAUSE of Studio Khara.

Funnily enough, an unverified but plausible-sounding reason for the delay has been doing the rounds on twitter today.

TLDR: Either Funimation wasn't respectful to the material, Khara executives didn't understand that US cons are predominantly teenage nerd party weekends and made poor assumptions based on limited data, or fans simply ruin everything. Pick your interpretation.

This actually sounds kind of plausible too after reading this post. The real question I have, being someone who actually saw the dub in theatres is... I didn't see any problems, or really many changes between theatre and disc. I'll need to rewatch it again to make sure, but either way, I REALLY hope they don't go with the new dub cast for the last rebuild movie. It would break my heart for them to ditch the cast that did a great job in the first three movies, to be replaced with the stiff, literal, emotionless delivery of most of the cast shown in the Netflix versions of the property. Even more reason to watch the original dub only if you have to stream it on Netlflix I guess Razz
Swami.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Are we going to find out who's licensed the movie at AX if the screening is happening there? I'm expecting Funimation to get it, but the incident with 3.33 makes me believe that Studio Khara might have the license go to someone else like Eleven Arts or GKIDS, possibly with a completely different dub cast...it's wild speculation on my part but I feel like that's a very real outcome.

Nothing against the FUNi cast but that actually sounds good to me.

GKids has the connections to the Oscars that Japan would want, it worked out well for Mirai (although it didn't win, they did what FUNi failed to do with the other Hosoda films) and probably will work out for the new Shinkai movie they have. Eleven Arts is a mixed bag to me since they don't screen at AMC theaters, their handling of Maquia on video was dumb but they did okay with A Silent Voice but with that said, their current deals with Shout and Right Stuf could lead to a decent Limited Edition from the latter.

As for FUNi, Khara is probably done with them at this point. If not because of the 3.33 situation then because of Gen Fukunaga's comments about Netflix plus even if FUNi was to get it, how are we sure that Khara won't order them to use the voice cast that they selected for the new dub of the show?

Spike Spencer says he's not under contract, so this is a possibility. I don't think replacing the old cast is a good idea when you are already 3 movies in.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
This little fancy will put posteriors in seats. I can only imagine how restrictive the phone policy will be in that particular hall...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

GKids has the connections to the Oscars that Japan would want, it worked out well for Mirai (although it didn't win, they did what FUNi failed to do with the other Hosoda films) and probably will work out for the new Shinkai movie they have. Eleven Arts is a mixed bag to me since they don't screen at AMC theaters, their handling of Maquia on video was dumb but they did okay with A Silent Voice but with that said, their current deals with Shout and Right Stuf could lead to a decent Limited Edition from the latter.

As for FUNi, Khara is probably done with them at this point. If not because of the 3.33 situation then because of Gen Fukunaga's comments about Netflix plus even if FUNi was to get it, how are we sure that Khara won't order them to use the voice cast that they selected for the new dub of the show?

I'm just going to hope they contracted for all 4 movies then, and can keep the old cast. Khara would be beyond stupid to just up and make them replace everyone or give the rights to someone else.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

I think Funimation will get it.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
yay if funimation was going to lose the rights, then they would have after the 3.33 otakon screening that kira despised.

The above story does sound scarcely accurate to how japan acts.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Swami. wrote:
Then don't watch the movie. Don't ruin the experience for us with your negativity. Stick with NGE.

Speak for yourself. 3.0 is my favorite of the Rebuild films, but it doesn't bother me at all that others don't feel the same way-- especially as the film is practically designed to net a heated response from longtime fans-- and if folks want to express that publicly they've got every right to do so. Penguintruth is obviously a pretty big fan of Eva, so if 3.0 disappointed them and others I can understand why they'd feel soured on the next installment. Whatever the case, my experience of watching the new Rebuild movie won't be "ruined" unless it's a bad film; if a conflicting opinion is enough to ruin your experience, perhaps you should take it upon yourself to exit the discourse around the film rather than obliging others to do for you what you won't do for yourself.

OT I'll be interested to hear what the first 10 minutes of the film are like. As it stands I'm not sure what I even want from Eva 4.whatever, I have a low level of investment only because it seems impossible to expect anything from it. Anno blew everything so wide open with 3.0 that he could go anywhere, which is both promising and somewhat daunting. I guess I'm just hoping for something experiential, maybe a little less cerebral than 3.0 and a lot less conventional than the first two, and oh please let Shinji get a stable boyfriend who doesn't die on him anymore.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:22 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Why would Gen Fukunaga even matter at this point, he is no longer the person in charge at Funimation, as Sony appointed someone for another division to take over. I just do not remember his name.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

I thought the reason for Funi taking so long to release Eva 3 was BECAUSE of Studio Khara.

I check it up to Khara just dose not understand American cons. Khara also with the new EVA script for Netflix has shown that you need someone that can localize the translations into natural sounding English. The literal translation on the new script and dub it off putting. The acting in the new dub is not the problem, it was the script.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:22 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Then there's this response...

https://twitter.com/TheR0bot/status/1142947937871441920?s=19
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:23 am Reply with quote
I'm just happy to see 4.0 is more than just anime vaporware!

FYI: I own but haven't watched 1.0 to 3.0 yet. I promised myself I would wait until I had all four films in hand so I could take them as a completed work.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I also personally loved 3.0 and I really enjoyed the extended focus on Shinji and Kaworu's relationship and I really liked it was daring enough to go in such a radically different direction nobody expected that still felt like it belongs in Eva to me. I'm excited they're going to reveal the first ten minutes and it sounds like it's actually going to come out next year. I hope Funimation will still be able to release 4.0 themselves as I enjoyed their dub and I would be frustrated not having a consistent dub cast and I'm rather mixed on the Netflix dub. I also hope we won't have to wait forever for the last movie to be released in the US this time. Eva is one of my top favorite anime and I've been looking forward to this conclusion for such a long time now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2