• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach filler: should I skip it?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Federated

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:30 am Reply with quote
Should I waste my time watching the Bleach filler arch? I'm referring to the one starting at episode 64. I Watched a couple episodes and it appears that the series is heading down a dramatically different path. If I should skip some episodes, where should I continue at?

[EDIT: Tweaked your title. -TK]
Muppe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
If you don´t hate yourself you should skip the semivampire filler arc.
But then again Bleach really goes downhill after spoiler[Rukia is saved from her execution].
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:20 am Reply with quote
It's a little anti-climatic at the end, but overall it's not even a quarter as bad as the greater whole of the Naruto filler. It's watchable anyway and they continue to use filler characters and elements in the post filler episodes. You could watch the last couple filler episodes and have a fairly good idea of what happened if you choose to skip it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I say you shouldn't skip it but I'm just anally retentive and would say that about any show. I mean if you enjoy the show so much why would you skip episodes or only watch the "good fight scenes" instead of the whole thing? I've never seen the point in skipping episodes if you supposedly like a series.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
If the Bleach filler arc were it's own show I would probably give it a so-so on the site ratings. However, given that they were anime original and only designed to kill time I'd say that they're actually pretty good. The story jumbles around at times and falls apart at the end but by that point I was just thinking "Yay! One of the two shounen filler sprees are over!" so I didn't mind that much. It would kinda disappoint me if I were to rewatch the show and decide not to skip them.
Xeric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
As far as filler goes this is pretty tolerable. Having not read the manga I actually wasn't aware that the arc was filler until several episodes in. I guess you could take that to mean I don't really pay attention and my opinion should be disregarded, or you could take it as a good reason to watch through the filler.

Your choice.
Theorys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Yes it's worth watching. Ishida really shines in it.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Only if you're either really bored or if you're really curious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
noobles
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
If you've already enjoyed watching it, you might as well continue, though in my opinion the filler's a waste of time (even though it may not be as bad as filler's in other shows). The filler's story has little effect on the main story (they include the filler characters and some elements from time to time , but usually to act as fillers within an episode), so you could always watch the final few filler episodes before resuming to get a good idea of what you missed if you choose to skip the filler arc.

But as what Muppe said before, the quality of Bleach never really picks up post-Rukia arc, even when they resume the manga story, though it's still fairly interesting to watch.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Start watching it and see if you like it. If you do, keep watching. If not, skip to episode 109 then keep watching. There are short batches of filler here and there after that and just watch those. One short arc is horrid, but the rest are at least decent and some are quite good.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
It depends, are you a "Bleach fan" or a "Bleach Manga fan"? The filler is a well done story with interesting characters. The only reason iI can suggest not to watch it is if you think anime not based on manga is the anti-christ.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
So 64 through 109 is filler?

Thanks for the heads up.
Kotonaru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
yeah... I attempted to get through the filler but, it was so bad that I had to stop, and I haven't felt like watching anymore of the new non-filler episodes.
qtipbrit92

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I watched Bleach back when and was pretty into it, but I agree with the others in that after the Rukia's rescue, the series went downhill much moreso than Death Note after its first "arc".
My personal opinion is that the first couple episodes of the filler spoiler[involve the party (haha. RPG-style) solving random puzzles set by Urahara, and though pointless, was quite interesting, though not nearly as gripping as earlier Death Note, Code Geass, and other action/-ish shonen series. Afterwards, I saw little progression, and the Bount were not particularly interesting, so it eventually became very uninteresting, though honestly, the Arrancar and Hueco Mundo arcs afterwards were not able to give Bleach a recovery.]

And regarding Ishida's "shining" in the Bount arcs, I would not personally say "shine" so much as "there was emphasis on Ishida, and his repetitive unwise choices that lead the viewer to want to either find some way to become an in-world character and strangle him or quit watching the series."
I opted for the more feasible of the two.
Nomeru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:20 am Reply with quote
Kotonaru wrote:
yeah... I attempted to get through the filler but, it was so bad that I had to stop, and I haven't felt like watching anymore of the new non-filler episodes.

I'm kinda similar here. I hated the filler, especially the flash backs on the guys, I cant remember the names but its not relevent. I got through the filler though, and made it up to 120 or 130, I cant remember. At that point, they went back to filler though, and I just stopped. I dont know where they are in the anime now, or what they're doing. I'll also add, while I'm at it, that I have started reading the manga. I'm a bit disappointed in the current arc. Its hard to know what to think right now because its not done, but so far I'm not likeing it all that much. It has some potential to be good, with spoiler[orihime being kidnapped and ichiro and party having to go to heco mundo], but there has sence been no real story or improvement. Looking back, I think bleach would have been better off as it is now if it had stopped back at the end of the resque rukia arc.[/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2