• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Future DVD Volumes of MÄR Anime Reportedly Delisted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiaki777

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:28 am Reply with quote
They're just not marketing these shows to the right people, and when they release episodes, they don't do a very good job in dubbing or presenting them. I'd be much more content if advertising were to be much more aggressive in marketing these shows.

There is another factor though, that many kids in America are being bombarded with these types of shows, and the market may have been considerably saturated as a result. Realize, that we're bringing in anime that has been aired in Japan for years, and then sort of cramming it all in to catch up. Back when anime was just starting out, and people only concentrated on the biggest names, there was no other choice for viewers, now it's become just the opposite.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Also remember Bleach had to go on hiatus at episode 50 as well, supposedly so they could catch up with the dub.

This could be partially due to the fact that the main character in Bleach, Ichigo, is voiced by JYB, who is doing the voice of Lelouch in Code Geass, which is set to start airing on AS in the spring (April, I believe). It's kind of hard to do VA work for a series like Bleach, and another anime at the same time, so I'm assuming he took time off to dub and get CG out of the way, then he'll return to work on Bleach, so we may get more eps around the same time as CG starts, if not earlier.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
KarmaRocketX wrote:
Fansubs, bootlegs and free fan distribution of licensed series are nothing to celebrate. They, in fact, have a huge hand in CREATING situations like these where licensees can't afford to lose money on a series that isn't a megahit these days.

I've had to put up with this before with Bo-BoBo Bo-BoBoBo (One of my favorite series.)
Which was never significantly fansubbed. So basically, Illumitoon had a rare chance to release a series with TV exposure and without fansub "competition," and they managed to mess it up.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
y cant they make box set and release them
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
It's kind of hard to do VA work for a series like Bleach, and another anime at the same time, so I'm assuming he took time off to dub and get CG out of the way, then he'll return to work on Bleach, so we may get more eps around the same time as CG starts, if not earlier.

Just a friendly reminder, new episodes of Bleach start March 1st, at 11PM! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Zalis: Replace Illumitoon with Toei, and I'll agree with you.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
This could be partially due to the fact that the main character in Bleach, Ichigo, is voiced by JYB, who is doing the voice of Lelouch in Code Geass, which is set to start airing on AS in the spring (April, I believe). It's kind of hard to do VA work for a series like Bleach, and another anime at the same time, so I'm assuming he took time off to dub and get CG out of the way, then he'll return to work on Bleach, so we may get more eps around the same time as CG starts, if not earlier.

That's not how it works at all. Voice actors have no problem doing several projects at once, & in fact they welcome it. Not to mention that even if your theory was correct, Bleach & Code Geass are licensed by two different companies, so neither one cares what the other one is doing. Plus I seriously doubt that voice over work for Geass has even started yet, or if it has it hasn't gotten very far. Production on Bleach, on the otherhand, is pretty much nonstop. Just because we stopped getting new episodes doesn't mean they stopped working on it. Adult Swim just needed to slow down so production could catch up again. Also, Bleach is scheduled to start airing again way before Geass will. But with Geass probably starting to air on AS around July & Bleach likely to go another 52 eps before taking another break, the two shows will probably run new episodes at the same time anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
If people can watch it for free on Jetstream, why would they buy it? If that argument applies to fansubs, it should apply in this case also.

No, that argument does NOT apply to fansubs. Have you ever watched anime on Jetstream, or for that matter, any streamed videos on the internet? If you haven't noticed, before it begins, sometimes inbetween changing clips, there's ads. Often times there's banner ads in the player. Heck, you probably would see ten more ads just navigating from the main page to videos.

The difference is that make money off of those ads and fansubs don't make them a penny. Yes, this may make DVD sales fall, but unlike people watching free fansubs, they can still make money off of the ads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:53 am Reply with quote
So, basicly, your saying that if your wanting to not break the law and not go down the path of fansubs, as would be the ideal, that you should bend over and get ready for all untoward things?
If I was keeping up with this series on DVD, I'd be royaly disenfranchiesd with the idea of forking over $40 everysooften right now.
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Four episodes per DVD and 103 episodes. Let do the math. 26 DVDs times $20 = $520 nuff said
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
kokuryu wrote:
Mar was great - glad I saw it all by fansubs. This is why I still say fansubs serves a purpose. And now I have yet again another series in my collection that has not been finished by the US companies. This is one of the few that I actually bought the volumes rather than waiting for the box set / thinpack to come out. I am tired of this nonsense of not releasing the full series. I refuse to buy non full series anymore. It's a waste of my money.

However if people aren't buying the singular DVDs then things like this happen... so saying "I refuse to buy non full series anymore" really doesn't help the situation.

It SHOULD send them a message - stop the nonsense of being non-commited to titles once you release them. If they are NOT going to actually commit to doing a full series release, regardless of how good or bad it does, then STAY OUT OF THE BUSINESS. Period. Just like someone else pointed out the majority of the money made in the anime business is on MERCHANDISE and NOT the DVD sales at all!

Quite frankly, I do my bit to support the anime industry as a whole. My buying for the last month included 6 full seasons of anime series (for series that are released seasonally, like Galaxy Angel), 7 full series (yes the whole enchelada at one time), and 1 OVA set (the famed PG version of My Santa) - a whopping total of somewhere around 60+ DVDs. How many did YOU buy?

And there were 4 DVDs I had to cancel because of cancellations, and 3 boxed sets I couldnt order because they were late putting them out, and 1 series I forgot to order (just remembered it now - ordering in a few minutes). This also does not incude any R2 purchases, or online VOD rentals or purchases - only DVD sales.

I would think they would pay attention to me and others like me who actually like to have the complete series for anything they are watching. I am sure any long time anime fan has at least ONE series in their collection that is incomplete - whether on VHS, BETA, playable CD (macross and a few others were released in this rare format), CDV, VCD, LD or DVD.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:

That's not how it works at all. Voice actors have no problem doing several projects at once, & in fact they welcome it. Not to mention that even if your theory was correct, Bleach & Code Geass are licensed by two different companies, so neither one cares what the other one is doing. Plus I seriously doubt that voice over work for Geass has even started yet, or if it has it hasn't gotten very far. Production on Bleach, on the otherhand, is pretty much nonstop. Just because we stopped getting new episodes doesn't mean they stopped working on it. Adult Swim just needed to slow down so production could catch up again. Also, Bleach is scheduled to start airing again way before Geass will. But with Geass probably starting to air on AS around July & Bleach likely to go another 52 eps before taking another break, the two shows will probably run new episodes at the same time anyway.

Hm... I didn't say that production on Bleach had stopped. Simply that one of the voice actors was spamming work on another series to get it out of the way, then returned to continue work on Bleach. This is not improbable, and I'd appreciate you not attacking me for stating a completely plausible theory. And in line with my theory, the reason that Bleach will start "airing again way before Geass will", is because all the other Bleach VAs were still recording their lines, while CG has a whole new cast, who have to record all their lines before the show can start airing. And I know that VAs like to work on more series than one at a time. It means more money for them. But they can't record in two different places at the same time, and when two companies are using the same VA for two different shows, I'm sorry, but they will care what the other's doing, because they will both have to schedule time when that VA can come in and record, working around both his real life job, and his other VA work. And if you recall, I did state that we'd most likely get Bleach before CG, which apparently, I was correct. Thank you very much.

PS> Dargonxtc> Thanks for the info. I had not heard that yet. Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
If they're giving up on the Hikaru No Go anime, does that mean they're taking it out of Jump, too? Or will it be like Bobobo, where they'll still publish the manga? I thought it was actually doing better than Mar. Too similar to the source material?
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I seriously doubt Viz will halt publication of the manga or remove it from Shonen Jump because the DVDs have stopped. It should still continue without a problem. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Viz continued to release Hikaru no Go in DVD boxsets or something like that.

teh*darkness wrote:
Hm... I didn't say that production on Bleach had stopped. Simply that one of the voice actors was spamming work on another series to get it out of the way, then returned to continue work on Bleach. This is not improbable, and I'd appreciate you not attacking me for stating a completely plausible theory. And in line with my theory, the reason that Bleach will start "airing again way before Geass will", is because all the other Bleach VAs were still recording their lines, while CG has a whole new cast, who have to record all their lines before the show can start airing. And I know that VAs like to work on more series than one at a time. It means more money for them. But they can't record in two different places at the same time, and when two companies are using the same VA for two different shows, I'm sorry, but they will care what the other's doing, because they will both have to schedule time when that VA can come in and record, working around both his real life job, and his other VA work. And if you recall, I did state that we'd most likely get Bleach before CG, which apparently, I was correct. Thank you very much.

Hey, calm down there. I wasn't attacking you & wish you wouldn't jump to such a conclusion, but was merely being informative & enlightening you on how the industry actually works. It seems you still don't have a good understanding about how it really works though, but I guess I wont push the matter any further.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm mostly a box set purchaser myself, and was planning on waiting for word on some anyways, so it probably doesn't make much of a difference for me anyways. I'm still pinning my hopes on some box set releases for both series. If not, than it really is quite a shame. Despite only a "Good" rating from me for MAR, both it and Hikaru no Go are very, very close to cracking my top 10 favorite shounen series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4