• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna Sues Funimation, Jamie Marchi, Monica Rial, Ronald Toye

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryasha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
GMArcturus wrote:
Ryasha wrote:
ronelm2000 wrote:
Monica would have to prove that his dad joke is more than an isolated incident. As far as I know, replying to a fan with a shiptease merely that, a quip for a fan. The legal definition of sexual harassment doesn't include a onetime joke, afaik, unless it's that severe. Look, if Monics Rial has the proof, then I'm sure we'll see the proper response. Until then I will wait and ask questions. Ron Toye's claims tho are quite extreme (very likely his tweets were hyperbolic) so that will be quite a lead to follow.

That was literally one example. There are likely many more. If there weren't, they wouldn't have been an investigation or reason to fire him.
But regardless of all of that, it's still harassment. Per your own link, it's just not prohibited by the law if its a single occurrence or not severe. Nowhere does it say that him saying he ate her wouldn't be harassment. Just that if it only happened the one time or wasn't severe, it's not illegal.
Just because it's not punishable by the law on its own doesn't mean its not still harassment.

(Removed overquoting. --Crisha)

How many times does this have to be explained? Funimation is in Texas. Texas is an at-will employment state. Funimation can fire a VA for coughing too loud if they want. You have no point.

....I really don't know why you're coming at me like that and bringing up pages old topics that we were told to drop.

My point was never about the grounds to fire him but the topic of discussion at the time being that there was a belief he got fired because he ate a jellybean and whether his statement when he did so was sexual harassment or not. Which it was. By definition.
A point that still stands.

Vic could have been fired for any number of reasons or for no reason at all but his supporters act as if it was just a jellybean that did him in. Maybe tell the people who believe THAT what it means to work in an at will state instead of cherry-picking one thing I said pages ago in response to other things being said.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Yeah good luck with that, you miserable sack of shit.

Seriously, what the hell did this man do to engender such a mass of rabid deluded cultists? He had maybe one or two decent roles over a two-decade career, and somehow that equates to hordes of teenage girls slobbering all over him and all-night scumbags crawling out of the woodwork to defend him. Utterly ridiculous.

As has been said in other threads, Vic is a very charismatic figure. He's on a whole different level from nearly everyone else whose acting credits are primarily anime/game voice acting - I'd even say comparable to an evangelical preacher or high-list movie or pop star - and that's something that I don't think even his strongest detractors would dispute. Although I've never met him in person, I've seen enough of him in "behind the scenes" video clips and heard enough of him on podcasts to pick up on that. People like that commonly attract rabid followings, whether outsiders think it's warranted or not. That's just the nature of charisma.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kerberous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
The mental gymnastics going on around here are amazing as always. One million dollars in damages is the minimum amount required for this case to even happen. In the end, Vic will likely end up with much more because of the exceptional individuals involved in defaming him. You might wanna look up what Ty Beard has done to other people and check his resumee. Have fun with discovery y'all.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I guess that's just a phenomenon I don't grok on a personal level. Probably to my benefit too. Idolizing celebrity is almost always ill-advised.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
ShadowAssailantX wrote:
This is one of those rare times where everyone can come together as a community and get excited about something in the fandom. Regardless of what side you're on I think everyone can agree that this is the peak of what can be considered "must follow news". The evidence is really in how many comments a story like this gets compared to basically anything else on this site. I for one am having a blast and I look forward to following this story in the weeks and months that follow. God bless Vic and Monica for orchestrating this for the fans!

There’s is nothing amusing to me about people being brave enough to speak up about something bad they went through, only to have to deal with mobs of harassment, and then having to waste time and money on a lawsuit like this on top of it.

Why not just watch some anime, instead of treating people having to deal with legal bullshit like entertainment?
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
So, let's say he loses, those jerks who harassed Monica will apologize, right?

Oh, who am I kidding...
xBTAx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Yeah good luck with that, you miserable sack of shit.

Seriously, what the hell did this man do to engender such a mass of rabid deluded cultists? He had maybe one or two decent roles over a two-decade career, and somehow that equates to hordes of teenage girls slobbering all over him and all-night scumbags crawling out of the woodwork to defend him. Utterly ridiculous.

As has been said in other threads, Vic is a very charismatic figure. He's on a whole different level from nearly everyone else whose acting credits are primarily anime/game voice acting - I'd even say comparable to an evangelical preacher or high-list movie or pop star - and that's something that I don't think even his strongest detractors would dispute. Although I've never met him in person, I've seen enough of him in "behind the scenes" video clips and heard enough of him on podcasts to pick up on that. People like that commonly attract rabid followings, whether outsiders think it's warranted or not. That's just the nature of charisma.

It’s certainly true that he had a rabid fanbase/some amount of recognition to start with, but I also don’t feel it’s accurate to say all of his supporters actually care about his work?

I mean, it’s not exactly hard to sell gamergate/comicsgate types on “this poor innocent man is being targeted by an ~Shonen Jump Weekly conspiracy~”, and that’s certainly been happening here. And even that approach definitely benefits off people recognizing his work - “hey, that guy from FMA/DBZ!” - but I feel like we’ve gone far past the point where it’s, like, active Rangers-level fans who are heavily supporting him. Much more just people worked up over the conspiracy/drama/revenge story they’ve been sold, or at least how that’s how what I’ve seen comes across to me.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to this all being behind us and Mignogna finding a new career where he won't be in any position of prominence or power. But I worry about all the pain to come for his victims in the weeks and months to come, and the broad schism this whole thing will have left in the fandom.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
So is he wins then what? I doubt anything will happen to Funimation aside from having to pay him, will anything happen to the VAs involved? And what will happen with Vic if he looses, will it just be that he won't get his money, or will it put him in danger of having other publishers not want to work with him any more or will they not care?
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone started a GoFundMe or similar for the actual victims here, those forced to further defend themselves from this man's two-decade long history of creepiness, asininity, and alleged sexual misconduct which may or may not involved fan club members under the age of 18? I'll gladly pony up for that.
Ryume

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
(Disclsimer: I am aware of the bigger details of this case, but I have not researched any aspect of it thoroughly.)

What I find the MOST disturbing about all of this are the people who say "show me the proof" or "this needs to be settled in court with physical evidence". #metoo may have had the unfortunate side effect of de-sensitizing people to the crimes of sexual harassment and even rape that we all feel jaded about it, but let's be logical, here. Not everyone cries wolf in these situations. You will NOT have hard evidence of being sexually harassed if the harassment was restricted to being verbal only, unless you happened to be recording the person at that time (and just how likely is that to be the case, seriously).

Unless heaven forbid there was bonafide physical assault and even rape where the perpetrator LEFT markings and other things on the victim's body (and let's face it, some people are able to physically violate another person and leave NO evidence of themselves behind), there is NOT going to be hard evidence. And sometimes, even if there is evidence, in that nightmare scenario you then have to assume the victim even had the presence of mind to get themselves to a hospital ASAP, instead of panicking, going into shock and/or attempting to cleanse themselves immediately.

Whether you're a fan of one side or the other, I just find it so saddening that people have become so quick to judge and dismiss others who find themselves the victim of sexual harassment these days. I can only hope of it ever happens to anyone in the world that they're able to find those who would support and believe in them instead of being met with being shamed, ridiculed, accused of lying and all other kinds of vitriolic backlash.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
xBTAx wrote:
It’s certainly true that he had a rabid fanbase/some amount of recognition to start with, but I also don’t feel it’s accurate to say all of his supporters actually care about his work?

I mean, it’s not exactly hard to sell gamergate/comicsgate types on “this poor innocent man is being targeted by an ~Shonen Jump Weekly conspiracy~”, and that’s certainly been happening here. And even that approach definitely benefits off people recognizing his work - “hey, that guy from FMA/DBZ!” - but I feel like we’ve gone far past the point where it’s, like, active Rangers-level fans who are heavily supporting him. Much more just people worked up over the conspiracy/drama/revenge story they’ve been sold, or at least how that’s how what I’ve seen comes across to me.

Oh, I don't dispute at all that at least some of his supporters fall into that category. However, pursuing that line of thought would be moving this discussion off-topic so I'm not going to continue with it here.

EDIT:
Aresef wrote:
I look forward to this all being behind us and Mignogna finding a new career where he won't be in any position of prominence or power. But I worry about all the pain to come for his victims in the weeks and months to come, and the broad schism this whole thing will have left in the fandom.

Honestly, I think concerns about some major schism in fandom are overstated. There are always subcategories of fans that aren't widely-respected (remember the whole business about "Narutards" a few years back?) and I feel confident that's how things will ultimately shake out here. A good test will be how attendees at major upcoming late spring/summer 'cons will be reacting towards the issue; I'll definitely have my ear out for that when I go to Acen next month. At that level, and in 'cons where Vic was never slated to appear anyway, I doubt it will have much impact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kistune_bride

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
So, let's say he loses, those jerks who harassed Monica will apologize, right?

Oh, who am I kidding...

Ugh, they'll probably think that Funimation and Sony bought out the judge or they gave the witnesses free banana chocolate flavored Pocky to lie on the stand or some conspiracy BS.

This whole thing is so....overwhelmingly dumb.

Besides the money, what will he even gain from this? Like, I'm sure there are ultra conservative channels and programming who would "love" to have his vocal talent, so why didn't he just get over this and lay low? Or get some form of therapy to stop touching/groping young girls and women voice actresses?
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Aresef wrote:

Honestly, I think concerns about some major schism in fandom are overstated. There are always subcategories of fans that aren't widely-respected (remember the whole business about "Narutards" a few years back?) and I feel confident that's how things will ultimately shake out here. A good test will be how attendees at major upcoming late spring/summer 'cons will be reacting towards the issue; I'll definitely have my ear out for that when I go to Acen next month. At that level, and in 'cons where Vic was never slated to appear anyway, I doubt it will have much impact.

There's disagreements with how fans of certain things conduct themselves. Naruto, Homestuck, Hetalia. But I don't think we as fans talked to each other about those things and that conduct the same way we are talking about what Vic Mignogna did, because those things don't carry the same baggage as, well, his pattern of behavior. You either believe the women or you don't, you either believe he's a monster or you believe he's being persecuted. And I'm not sure if the fandom remains divided into those camps or if this, too, shall pass.
Ryasha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

A good test will be how attendees at major upcoming late spring/summer 'cons will be reacting towards the issue; I'll definitely have my ear out for that when I go to Acen next month. At that level, and in 'cons where Vic was never slated to appear anyway, I doubt it will have much impact.

That's what I'm a bit weary on. AWA isn't until October/November so there's time for this all to play out and all but Vic was there every year except 2015 from 2004-2016. So I'm actually kinda dreading it this year. Not because I think they'll invite him but more so because of the attendees and how he must have a pretty sizable fanbase if he was coming so consistently for so long and who knows what kind of trouble this whole situation might bring because of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 32