• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Rising of The Shield Hero

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:46 am Reply with quote
That's harsh, but as a WN reader I can't deny it too hard the anime (and apparently the LN to a lesser extent) is making a big effort to make naofumi to look good. so in comparison, the other 3 heroes look pretty bad.

If you want to know how bad some motivations are I will spoil myne's motivations from the WN, obviously, behind spoilers and I own't spoil any plot elemnts behind that. MMine's motivation is that spoiler[she wantss to increase her level] , that perfectly explains all she does as a complex plan to achieve that, but we are never told why she even wants to do that, I hope the light novel/anime fix that, but Iconsider that motivation shallow if not idiotic.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
Ep 15,

I only read the WN, I don't think the T-Rex was even in it. Plus, the whole "If I killed you I would be just as bad as you" attitude they gave Shield-Bro is completely different than his web novel version, he was vindictive as hell in that and had no problems seeing evil people being killed or even tortured. I'm guessing they wanted to give him more the stereotypical hero attitude in the light novel? Or is this an anime only thing?
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:31 am Reply with quote
Of course the fat guy is very evil because he is buying slaves!, but hey the shield hero also bought slaves to help him fight (and also risk the life of a little girl) a pity that practically the only difference between this guy and the hypocrite of the shield is that one is a character made to be unpleasant, while the other pleads for our sympathy through mercy due to his situation Bah! both are just as trash.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 15,

I only read the WN, I don't think the T-Rex was even in it. Plus, the whole "If I killed you I would be just as bad as you" attitude they gave Shield-Bro is completely different than his web novel version, he was vindictive as hell in that and had no problems seeing evil people being killed or even tortured. I'm guessing they wanted to give him more the stereotypical hero attitude in the light novel? Or is this an anime only thing?

I hope the anime is doing it's own thing I read the manga and there was no t-rex and more importantly, no kiel.but then again I might be remembering wrong.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I hope the anime is doing it's own thing I read the manga and there was no t-rex and more importantly, no kiel.but then again I might be remembering wrong.

Both are in the light novel, assuming the t-rex is the one that was sealed and released and Keel the slave that was rescued.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:34 am Reply with quote
Norm the genius wrote:
Of course the fat guy is very evil because he is buying slaves!, but hey the shield hero also bought slaves to help him fight (and also risk the life of a little girl) a pity that practically the only difference between this guy and the hypocrite of the shield is that one is a character made to be unpleasant, while the other pleads for our sympathy through mercy due to his situation Bah! both are just as trash.

There is a clear difference. But I understand why you won't acknowledge it. It is not so much that the evil noble has slaves, but rather how he treats his slaves. Which we should get further information next episode.
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:40 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Norm the genius wrote:

There is a clear difference. But I understand why you won't acknowledge it. It is not so much that the evil noble has slaves, but rather how he treats his slaves. Which we should get further information next episode.

Yes, I remember very well how it is that he treated Raphtalia, to help him fight with monsters (also with Filo in fact she was devoured by the zombie dragon, luckily she has plot armor and the dragon did not chew it) and risk his life more than any blow that could give him a fat man and with electroshock therapy to force her to overcome her fear of force or some shit.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
To comment on the slave thing as someone who left around episode 12, I get that there are differences between how the royalty treats them vs Nao but the issues becomees muddled due to how Nao treated Raphtalia at first as well as the reciprocal nature of Raphtalia to Nao.

Point by Point:
-While the Royalty treats the slaves horribly and Nao at present doesn't, the fact remains that Nao forced Raphtalia to fight under pretense of survival. However, it could be seen as unintentional subtext for abuse made worse by a later point.
-Raphtalia liking Naofumi and even going so far as to reapply the crest sends up a red flag. Given the previous point about the initial unideal nature of the relationship combined with the idea of master/slave dynamics, it produces a subtext of either Stockholm Syndrome or attachment after abuse.
-An addemdem to these points is that, while these subtexts can be seen, they are most likely unintended by the author and arise simply out of cultural differences both between countries and time periods, poor use and understanding of tropes, and, in my opinion, the author's intent to make a self validation story about a man who is willing to go to unethical ends to do the right thing.

PS. to state my stake in this discussion, I have no attachment to Shield Hero as a piece of media and only want to analyze the subtext and intent of the work.
pip25

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I understand that this episode was supposed to be about Raphtalia, but this still felt like something of a missed opportunity to emphasize how the demi-humans appear to be viewing the Shield Hero as a true heroic figure, in contrast to the "devil" many humans in the country view him as. Naofumi just found a group who appreciate him for who he is instead of him having to constantly fight off lies and prejudice.
Diana Clark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:47 am Reply with quote
Oh, and minor trivia, Naofumi and Raphtalia have the same voice actors as Sakuta and Mai from Bunny Girl Senpai. I wonder if that was intentional.
Rolling Eyes
Check out r/animememes at some point, there are so many posts about Raphtalia the mods renamed the subscribers to "Raccoon Protecctors". It's pretty funny.

Smile
Leviathon_lx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Annoys me that they changed the entire scene with the noble and Raph to turn it into that crappy trope instead.

LN and Manga Version: spoiler[In the source material she stabs him with both swords and kicks him out the window.]
Vadara

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Slavery is bad, except when the hero does it, because REASONS shut up and cry dammit and stop thinking
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15 was so heart feeling that is brought tears to my eyes. great episode imo
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I have enjoyed the show so far and episode 15 was good except for one noticeable change. I understand why the anime adaptation will sometimes tone down stuff from the light novels to make it more suitable for general audiences but the change they made with the fight between Raphtalia and the noble was ridiculous. A recurring theme of the light novels is the occasional need for harsh actions due to the moral grayness of the world so turning it into a kids morality lesson went against a major theme of the series.

In the light novel spoiler[Raphtalia stabbed the noble and kicked him out the window. The only concern that Naofumi had afterwards was that they needed to hurry before reinforcements arrived. Also the reason the noble survived was because he was a soldier that had fought in a war and was at a fairly high level.]
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
No surprise whatsoever that her friend was dead.

Seen enough anime to already know what was about to happen.

Decent episode I guess.

The ending was pretty cool, badass monster to fight against, next time should be very exciting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 36