• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GeGeGe no Kitarō

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HannoX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
So is Mana now going to be a big sister to little Cat-chick? I'm sure she'd be a great one.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:40 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I fell behind and was able to watch the last several episodes without a week's delay between them.

I found myself thinking that the last few episodes were incredibly topical --- a social network app used to spread disinformation and disrupt society and politics, promoting hatred and distrust of "others". I don't know if Japan has been seeing that sort of politics lately, but a lot of the rest of the world has.

And ... it's not hard for me to imagine Shigeru Mizuki looking at that sort of thing in his work and wanting to teach a lesson about it.

I wonder what name Mana gave to Nanashi.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The son of a human and a yokai, Rat Man doesn't quite fit in with either piece of his heritage, leaving him largely on the outskirts of two societies

What I don't understand is why this isn't a problem for Cat Girl? She's hanyou too, but the youkai don't seemed much bothered by it, nor do humans when she's not got her claws and fangs out.

It seems to me that Rat Man's problem isn't others' prejudices against his mixed heritage, but just the fact that he doesn't bathe and is a selfish jerkwad most of the time. Still, he done good this time around. Smile
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
^But Cat Girl doesn't seem to interact much with humans aside from Mana while Rat Man is trying hard to fit in (though his version of "fitting in" is probably not the most helpful for gaining acceptance...) which might make him suspicious to other yokai.

This was a nice way to wrap up this really dark arc, i was almost ready to forgive Nanashi for his creepy baby form in the end. And i'm so happy Cat Girl is back, though i'm not sure what her new role will be...i wonder how long she's going to stay a kid, how fast are yokai growing up anyhow?
Cab329

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote
Honestly a part of me is a bit disappointed Nekomusume came back so anticlimactically but honestly, I’m just so glad she’s Back. I do find it funny how Mana now gets to meet a younger chirpier Catgirl compared to the cooler big sis type she was to Mana before (and I still think Mana had a bit of a crush on her when she was in her more mature body) I’m also very happy that she still remembered Mana since my other worry was that she would forget her when she came back.

That was a really solid ending too. After having an entire season of hating Nanashi I was surprised I felt bad for him when his origin and true form were revealed. I really loved that Mana was able to end it with an act of compassion and the line “the opposite of love isn’t hat, it’s indifference”

All, loved all the callbacks in the scenes of the Yokai helping the humans out, especially the apartment Yokai and no face and his friend running together. Such a heartwarming climax to such a dark arc
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote
Cab329 wrote:
Honestly a part of me is a bit disappointed Nekomusume came back so anticlimactically but honestly, I’m just so glad she’s Back.

I thought it was anti-climatic as well. "Oh, we just went to hell and got her back."

Turning Nanashi into a giant baby made it impossible for him to speak for himself down the stretch. I hoped he would be able to explain his motives, but we're left to guess them for ourselves.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, that story arc resolved faster than I expected - maybe too fast! Laughing No, in all seriousness, that was an impressive finale. I was wondering how they would eventually explain what Nanashi was, and revealing he was an unborn, literally unnamed, child was an inspired choice, I think. I'm also hoping - I think the show was implying - that in the aftermath of all this, humans and yokai just might start to coexist again, which would be an exceptionally beautiful closing note on Nanashi's tragic revenge tale.

I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with Catgirl, however - they just went to the underworld and brought her back?! Kitaro and Daddy Eyball can DO that??? I'm really hoping there's more to this that we just haven't seen yet. Maybe there's still some sort of direct corroboration with whatever starts happening next week.
...Also, how much is Catgirl really back? She seems to remember Mana, at least; but just how much of her memories and personality remain? Is this going to be the same character we've come to love over the course of the show?? I'm glad she's alive again, for sure, but I kind of hate when stories do it in this sort of manner.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Yes, they can travel between this world and the underworld. If you're curious about Kitarou's origins I recommend the 2007 noitaminA adaptation Hakaba Kitarou.

https://youtu.be/WOBQUIMbDEA
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Mhh, this whole Neko-musume revival is giving me a bad flashback, You see, my favorite Marvel Comics female character was killed, just to be almost immediately resurrected(or reincarnated?) as a child. But she was no longer the same character since she basically had no memories and was basically de-powered. So Marvel decided to kill her again and it took two long decades for them to remember to bring her back from "hell". On one of the last Bill Maher show I saw (before he went full jerk against comic) someone said "Story does not repeat itself, but sometimes it rhymes", hope this time does not apply.

At the very least I hope we get a flashback next episode about the ressurection deal, but if they do not animate said sequence I will keep having in my mind this crossover with Hozuki's Coolheadedness :p
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
^But Cat Girl doesn't seem to interact much with humans aside from Mana while Rat Man is trying hard to fit in (though his version of "fitting in" is probably not the most helpful for gaining acceptance...) which might make him suspicious to other yokai.

But it doesn't seem like she's ever had a problem with youkai accepting her. Whereas it seems like at least part of the reason Rat Man tries so hard to be in the human world is because he couldn't fit in with the youkai, except for Kitaro, to a degree. I think the others mostly only tolerate him because Kitaro does,
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
In answer to the question asked several times, as best as anyone can execute anime lip-reading, Mana appears to be naming Nanashi "Kitarou"!

And now to copypaste my own comment from another blog, since it might generate discussion here:

I felt that Mana took the tired old "the opposite of love is indifference" concept in an interesting direction: you can truly hate only that which you want to love you, when it doesn’t love you in the way you want. Couples break up because each feels that they are not properly loved by the other; people I disagree with politically hate women because they want to be loved by them; religious zealots hate heathens because they want them to experience the same love of faith they do; hidden behind all hatred, Mana seems to be arguing, lies love.

I couldn’t be more happy at the way this message embodies both naïve hope—if we can only make people see that their hatred springs from love, we can heal the world—and inescapable despair—because humans (and youkai) experience love, they are prone to being swallowed by their hatred, just as Nanashi and those he influenced were. That oxymoronic combination is everywhere in this horrific, innocent, mature kids’ show, and I deeply wish more people could find it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:01 am Reply with quote
I browsed Rebecca's most recent reviews and was stunned to see episode 47 got a score of 3.9. Was that just a reaction to Neko's apparent demise? As one of the most powerfully dramatic episodes of the series so far, I gave it a five.

Neko-chan sure is cute, but she could become an enormous pain in the neck! From the order of presentation, we know Hikaru will take her with him to meet Kanji. Still I was surprised he took her given his usual caution in such matters. Tough to deny a clingy demanding child.

Is Rei a character from the manga or anime-original?

And Sawashiro continues to show why she is in the top-tier of contemporary seiyuu. Lots of subtle tonal shifts in Hikaru's voice to match the circumstances.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
^Wow, only 3.9? I guess I'd better make sure my own vote is in there (definitely a 5).

I notice Nanashi has been replaced in the opening credits, but Catgirl's shots are not. It sounds like Catgirl will return to normal in the (near?) future, which pleases me. Like Mana, I think mini Catgirl is cute, but I much prefer the older Cat-san. That said, she was pretty fun to watch; I liked how animated (literally) she was as a character.
I was also glad to hear what sounded like a hint from Daddy Eyeball that there might have been more to bringing Catgirl back than we know; the ability to essentially resurrect people is a pretty overpowered option in Kitaro's toolkit, and it could really raise questions if he could do that so casually (consider the humans and yokai we've seen truly die over the course of the show).

Rollo Cloth's comment about his ears was funny - a little self-aware humor never hurt anyone. Laughing

Thanks for that link, by the way, yuna49. I'm definitely interested in watching more Kitaro in the future; this current series is the first time in my 6 years of watching anime that I've actually followed a current, long-running show!
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Newest episode: huh, so bringing Nekomusume wasn’t that easy. I do love that, since it plays with expectations. Not sure how to feel about the new character though it is interesting in that he’s taking out the generals but since he’s using them to power himself up, the souls aren’t going to Hell, meaning that Kitaro can’t keep his end of the deal, putting a human in a position where Kitaro is going to have to fight him directly at some point.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
When I saw that spiked club, I was half expecting Hoozuki to show up. Very Happy And I'm so used to the Gatekeepers being female that it was weird seeing them as male (though I'm sure that's more traditional).

I like Rei. He looks like he'll be an interesting antagonist. It also kinda tickles me that he's voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya while playing a sort of anti-Natsume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 20