• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sonic the Hedgehog Creator 'Shocked' by Leaked Movie Designs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bakaShin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:42 am Reply with quote
It's A Trap!

But seriously, it would be shocking to me if nobody at the Sonic movie team at least look at the criticisms with the character design and try to make some changes to it.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:22 am Reply with quote
Still accepting bets which movie will fail more: Sonic or Monster Hunter?
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:03 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
AutoOps007 wrote:
Man, it should be a rule that the original creators (or at least have someone they trust represent them) are involved with these kinds of things.

Kentaro Miura served as a supervisor on the 2016 anime......and we know how that went.

I never said that by having the original creator involved would solve everything and prevent any issues it could possibly have. Besides, the main problem with the 2016 Berserk anime was the CG, and it's not like Miura could've done anything about that. And I'm sure having him there did more good than harm (if any). It couldn't hurt to have the original creator's there to give an opinion. And it's not like they would have to do everything the original creator suggests either.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:04 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
AutoOps007 wrote:
Man, it should be a rule that the original creators (or at least have someone they trust represent them) are involved with these kinds of things.

Kentaro Miura served as a supervisor on the 2016 anime......and we know how that went.

I never said that by having the original creator involved would solve everything and prevent any issues it could possibly have. Besides, the main problem with the 2016 Berserk anime was the CG, and it's not like Miura could've done anything about that. And I'm sure having him there did more good than harm (if any). It couldn't hurt to have the original creator's there to give an opinion. And it's not like they would have to do everything the original creator suggests either.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:51 am Reply with quote
Sonic looks like he teaches a cycling class instead of running from Robotnik. Maybe they are competing for class timeslots at the local gym. Either way, this is weird.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:
after this flops hopefully sonic IP holder never lets an outsider make another sonic related thing Neutral

Mind you, that'd rule out Sonic Mania as well.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Should've just put out a CG cartoon.

I never understand this need for 'live action.'

Just take the designs we already know and love and do a 3D Pixar type film, and keep all the zany things.

Nothing about this looked right from the get-go. It's like they are trying to fail.
Sheriru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Final Design or not, how can anybody actually THINK this is a good Sonic Design to dreaw and finalize?! Its so awful. Im not into Sonic Games, but even i think its atrocious.

Why do Fans always do a better job with Designs?? That Twitter Picture proves it again.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
The official sonic design looks like a guy in a suit posed for a bootleg movie poster xD
natureman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder where OG Sonic buys his shoes because that size is ridiculous. Redesign is looks fine to me.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I can understand why Naka isn't a fan of this re-design but it's not the first time that Sonic got a new design for a foreign production like the Adventures of Sonic and Sonic, which is wierd since Sega created Sonic to appeal to the Amercian and European markets.
I found Sonic's original design really fascinating, Sonic Team probably drew inspiration from classic cartoon characters like Mickey Mouse and Felix the cat, but there are obvious elements from japanese culture like Tails being a kitsune, also some anime references like Super Sonic being an obvious reference to Dragon Ball, also Eggman's classic look is similar to the mechanic from Castle in the Sky, and speaking of Ghibli, Big the Cat was inspired by Totoro.
What I'm trying to say is that I found it a bit ironic that Sonic, a character who was designed from the start to appeal to westerners, always gets re-designed and changed in shows and movies made outside of Japan. Sonic Mania was the only exception, and that was mainly due to it being based on the original games which were simplier in design.
kamen_otaku81

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'm not getting any sleep tonight.Or for the two months.

Why couldn't they just go for a normal CGI animated movie instead? There's no way this is going to fly. Not even my love for Jim Carrey isn't enough for me to make me see this movie.

I wonder if anybody involved in this project know the term "Uncanny Valley"?
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:47 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Steve Minecraft wrote:
Once upon a time we got movies like Roger Rabbit, Cool World, and Space Jam, which mixed beautiful 2D animation with live-action actors. We realized cartoons and real actors could co-exist without having to make them realistic CG monstrosities. I miss those days.

Didn't Cool World bomb?

Whether it did, I don't know, but if that movie had some problems, the visuals wasn't it. I suspect it might've had to do with absolutely everything else about that movie, though.

Somer-_- wrote:
Quote:
"If a poor directorial choice becomes a hot topic, then it could continue to damage Sonic's IP,"

I feel like Sega has been damaging Sonic's IP just fine these past couple of years.

I... have no comeback to this. I think the Megadrive/Genesis Sonic games are absolutely wonderful... except maybe Spinball, but I'm not a huge pinball nut, so... and I even kind of liked the Adventure games, but a lot of the games after that.... =_=;;
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:33 am Reply with quote
Is no one going to point out the huge error in the article's title? Yuji Naka is not Sonic's creator! Sonic's original designer was Naoto Oshima: https://twitter.com/NaotoOhshima

Yuji Naka was one of the programmers on the first 3 Sonic games, and producer of the series from Sonic the Hedgehog until Sonic the Hedgehog '06.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I can understand why Naka isn't a fan of this re-design but it's not the first time that Sonic got a new design for a foreign production like the Adventures of Sonic and Sonic, which is wierd since Sega created Sonic to appeal to the Amercian and European markets.
I found Sonic's original design really fascinating, Sonic Team probably drew inspiration from classic cartoon characters like Mickey Mouse and Felix the cat, but there are obvious elements from japanese culture like Tails being a kitsune, also some anime references like Super Sonic being an obvious reference to Dragon Ball, also Eggman's classic look is similar to the mechanic from Castle in the Sky, and speaking of Ghibli, Big the Cat was inspired by Totoro.
What I'm trying to say is that I found it a bit ironic that Sonic, a character who was designed from the start to appeal to westerners, always gets re-designed and changed in shows and movies made outside of Japan. Sonic Mania was the only exception, and that was mainly due to it being based on the original games which were simplier in design.

The Mega Drive was a failure in Japan. The only time Sega managed a foothold in the video games market here was with the SegaSaturn. It was really popular when it came out here. It outsold the Nintendo 64, and for the first half of its life it sold better than the PlayStation however PlayStation overtook the Saturn in sales once big titles like Final Fantasy 7 and Tekken 3 came out. Initially the SegaSaturn was the best place to play arcade ports and RPGs. Sonic has never been a popular character in Japan. People recognize him here, but I can safely say the west cares more about Sega and Sonic much more than Japan does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3