• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:07 am Reply with quote
Finally got caught up on 12-13. I think JoJo's is better for me when I binge the arcs instead of watching them weekly. At least this one was.

Didn't we already do a mirror stand? Or one that hangs out in any reflective surface?

Gotta wonder about the security of "hiding" a key in plain sight in a tourist location (which was remarkably devoid of tourists - if that was because it's a restricted area, that just makes hiding and retrieving it stand out even more). Wouldn't it have been easier to have whoever put it in Pompey just give it to them directly? Smile Also, how did the guy get ahead of them to hang his mirrors if he didn't know where they were going?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:07 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Didn't we already do a mirror stand? Or one that hangs out in any reflective surface?

Stardust Crusaders, the guy who killed Polnareff's sister. IIRC, he never thought of dragging anyone into his world but he could attack their mirror selves to hurt their real selves.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the review for ep 14

Quote:
I have a hard time imagining that I'll remember much about Prosciutto and Pesci once they're defeated, despite Pesci's remarkable scrotum neck

Oh, Sam, you will have a great time for this stand battle, there is a reason Grateful Dead mini arc (which is 12+ chapters long in the manga) is an absolute fan favorite, and regarded as one of the best Jojo fights period. The one after this is pretty well-praised too, but I will stop there.

Pesci and Prosciutto may seem like disposable one-off villians, but they WILL show considerable character growth as battle goes on; I could not believe what I just said before I read the manga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I registered an account just to say this: the Grateful Death fight is awesome and heck you'll remember it.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I'm surprised that The Grateful Dead will actually be a kinda long arc, since the nature of its power makes it very time-pressing.
Anyway, I already like the Hokuto No Ken carrot-shaped mob character.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't help but giggle how cute Sex Pistols is. Them genuinely caring for Mista is endearing. I have to wonder if Toriumi is voicing each of them... I can't tell. Does Toriumi's voice go that high? LoL.
kenatsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:58 am Reply with quote
I think episode 15 upped the stakes for the show in general in setting up an actual threat to the group. I was low key kinda hoping spoiler[Mista kicked the bucket there cause that would have been sad but also a real motivation for the show] Hopefully next week we get more of this and I really hope spoiler[Bucchiarti doesn't die].
Aezreal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The make-or-break stuff with me is a matter of how easily these details can be communicated visually. The ice cube gimmick is already treading a fine line (or should I say it's "on thin ice?") since the time it takes for the cubes to melt is inevitably at the convenience of the story anyway.

You're definitely not alone in feeling this way Sam. Having read all the Jojo's manga barring newer Part 8 stuff, I'm no stranger to wacky Stand hijinks and weird logic, but this fight (and quite a few others in Part 5) tries to add a timer to the action that the viewers can't actually have any grasp about (like the previous "virus will kill you!" with Illuso).
Also Part 5's just terrible about blood loss not killing people. It's strange to care so little about blood yet try and make the viewer care about body temperature minutiae, some of which is really wrong. Not that Jojo's cares about being accurate to life, but when it tries to teach new things and gets them wrong, I notice the inaccuracies more.

Quote:
The action's good, but I still feel like I'm hitting that emotional ceiling when it comes to these monster-of-the-week fights

Agreed. I'd much appreciate more breather episodes once in a while. Nonstop fight after fight, it becomes hard to invest in what's happening or to remember enemies post-fight. The Grateful Dead arc seems to have a lot of respect fandom-wise but I didn't even remember it beforehand, though I remember a lot of cool fights from many Parts.
Part 4 had much goofier Stands sometimes, it gave me more time to invest in its characters. Those felt like breather episodes that Part 5 doesn't have.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
First time reading Grateful Dead, awfully confusing and boring.
Second time reading it with correct translation side to side with the colored RAWs, absolutely outstanding.

This is one of the best and most interesting fights in Part5 but like many others pointed out, the fact that it's time-related doesn't help when it's spread across a bunch of episodes, which I think is the biggest "problem" of any JoJo anime.

Aezreal wrote:
I'm no stranger to wacky Stand hijinks and weird logic, but this fight (and quite a few others in Part 5) tries to add a timer to the action that the viewers can't actually have any grasp about (like the previous "virus will kill you!" with Illuso).

I think those are quite different situations. Grateful Dead is a straightforward AoE aging stand, where its lethality is based on a very specific condition, so the timer is constantly changing, while Purple Haze was a case of "if you get hit with the virus at its strongest, you've less than a minute left", but then plot armor kicks in and Giorno just survives way longer than he should, presumably because he only got infected with remains of the virus that was close to it, but it's still plot armor.
Aezreal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
ChestPains wrote:
First time reading Grateful Dead, awfully confusing and boring.
Second time reading it with correct translation side to side with the colored RAWs, absolutely outstanding.

I've seen so many descriptions like this. Wish my experience had been similar. I only ever read it on colored scans with correct translations, so no stupid mistakes or confusing art, yet I still didn't have a good time with a lot of Part 5. I did enjoy 4 abundantly, and 6 a good deal too.
ChestPains wrote:
I think those are quite different situations. Grateful Dead is a straightforward AoE aging stand, where its lethality is based on a very specific condition, so the timer is constantly changing, while Purple Haze was a case of "if you get hit with the virus at its strongest, you've less than a minute left" (...)

It's not just Giorno though, Illuso manages to get out of it once. The way two different people skirt the lines and find ways to go past the supposed limit, to me is rather similar to the way that people will last longer depending on ice cube randomly melting or not, or ice cubes will additionally show up (or will stop working randomly, like when Bruno's touched by Prosciutto).
Bruce91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I think certain people working for ANN will dislike the upcoming episode 17 or the upcoming character Melone. Because you know....

Can't wait to hear it on social media for the outcry.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
OH MY GOD, HE'S BAKUGO. I remember recognizing his voice when we first met the Execution Squad, but he yells a lot in this episode so it's impossible to separate the two characters.

Pretty much my reaction this episode too.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Unless this is going to be another one of those fights that ends on a surprising high note, I'd like this one to wrap up quickly

Oh boy you're in for a treat. This is one of THE most annoying stand fights in JoJo history for me because even when trying to speedread the chapters, they took too long. I dreaded this episode's release. Mad
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Next on the docket is Ghiaccio who—OH MY GOD, HE'S BAKUGO.
That's Accelerator to you, whippersnapper.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Grass Snowboard is definitely up there as one of the most ridiculous Jojo Stand Battle Solutions ever.

Also the name of my new dispensary/snow cone shop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 14