• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BusinessWeek Mag Reports on Manga Popularity in Europe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Ah, I was being facetious. Rumsfeld isn't exactly popular to the west of the old Iron Curtain...

Umm, that's not what I meant. It's because of pop-culture that that term is now shit. Although I don't agree with what Rumsfeld was saying about it either, but that is just coincidence.

Anyway, I think Hentai has it right though. Everyone has their own definition of what Europe is. Some use strictly geographic, or political, or economic model definitions only. Some use a mix of all three (like me). Even inside different regions within the States the majority definition will change.

I will say this though, the triangle I spoke of earlier, is a fairly popular position to hold.

Interesting side note. Osaka, Japan sits upon the same tectonic plate as London.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:25 am Reply with quote
Europe? Not East or Southeast Asia? I find that extremely hard to believe. Well, on a per capita basis, I'm sure manga is much more popular in Asia than EUROPE.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:42 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Europe? Not East or Southeast Asia? I find that extremely hard to believe. Well, on a per capita basis, I'm sure manga is much more popular in Asia than EUROPE.

Sure you may be, but it seems the Japanese foreign ministry's investigation doesn't agree with you...
nobinobita

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

They're probably counting overall revnue, which would put Europe ahead as Comics in South East Asia are so cheap (and awesome). I've lived in Asia and Europe and there's no doubt in my mind that there are more people reading manga in Thailand than any European country.

That having been said, I'm not suprised that Europe reads more manga than the US. When I lived in France I was pleasantly suprised by the great variety of Manga they had. It rivaled South East Asia. They had all the titles that are translated into English and many more that will probably never make it over to the US like "Blues" and lots of Otomo stuff. They were also way ahead in their released volumes of Bastard, Berserk and Old Boy, just to name a few.

Also, I've never lived in Italy, but I have visited, and while in Florence I was shocked to see that magazine stands carried copies of Kentaro Miura/Buronson's King of Wolves as well as a monthly hentai doujinshi compilation.

Between their love of Fist of the North Star, Jojo, Berserk, and hentai dojins, I felt a special affinity for Italy.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I just found this article at Comi Press that suggests that as far back as 2005 Germany and France alone were a marginally bigger manga market than the USA. Obviously once you add Italy, Spain, Britain etc. to the Franco-German figure, the difference in market size is going to be fairly significant.
I thought those who had a hard time imagining that North America wasn't the second biggest market after Japan might like to see the figures (even if they are a little over a year old).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3