• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BusinessWeek Mag Reports on Manga Popularity in Europe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Junkie wrote:
When the refers to 'Europe' I hope that does not include us, (UK).
I don't like the idea of being considered a part of Europe.

Rolling Eyes That's like someone saying they don't like the idea of Newfoundland being considered part of North America or Taiwan part of Asia. Possibly you should cancel your next few manga purchases and buy a map and some history books instead.

Dargonxtc wrote:
Even though America has more population

Than Europe? The population of Northern and Central America combined is about 324 million, the population of Europe is about 729 million. Even if by "Europe" we just mean the European Union, it's still about 495 million.

Of course, much of Europe buys very little manga (hence the recent news of Japanese government plans to increase manga sales in former Warsaw Pact nations), so what we're talking about is not really high manga sales across the whole of Europe but, rather, extremely high sales (relative to the US) in some Western European nations being balanced out by very few sales further East.
Urd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:
France is very different to the UK and Ireland, from what I know about that place. Animations and comics aren't thought of as soley for children over there, which is pretty much the case here. The government of France even subsidises culture like comics over there.

You're perfectly right, comics aren't considered for children in France, I thought that was the case everywhere else. Question

Gundam Junkie wrote:

Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
Even though America has more population

Than Europe? The population of Northern and Central America combined is about 324 million, the population of Europe is about 729 million. Even if by "Europe" we just mean the European Union, it's still about 495 million.

I don't know where you got your numbers, but the populations of just Canada, US, and Mexico add up to over 443.1 million.

And to be clear, when I say Europe, I don't mean any of the former Eastern Bloc countries, the United Kingdom, Ireland or Turkey. Which would bring the population's well into the 300's. In other words when I say Europe I mean it in a classical sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:35 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
I didn't find the original JETRO report that BusinessWeek references, but I did find an earlier one (PDF format) in Japanese. There's also a 2006 English-language report (PDF) about the Japanese publishing industry as a whole.

Thanks!

Moomintroll wrote:
Gundam Junkie wrote:

Rolling Eyes That's like someone saying they don't like the idea of Newfoundland being considered part of North America or Taiwan part of Asia. Possibly you should cancel your next few manga purchases and buy a map and some history books instead.

Japanese and Britons are quite similar in this regard: they don't like being called as Asians, and when they use the word Asia-Jin (アジア人) in Japanese it's most likely they don't take Japanese into account. Hatena Diary wrote "日本人が使う場合は日本人以外のアジア人を指すことが多い。" Read Datsu-A Ron if you want to know more about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:21 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Gundam Junkie wrote:

Actually it's closer to Hawaii not wanting to be seen as part of America.

A small set of islands sitting off at the side.

But I'm from the UK and I feel the exact opposite, we should throw ourselves wholeheartedly into Europe; even from a simply ideological view that Europe>Britain; if the economic numbers don't pan out...

As for the Euro, adopting it in due course.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:31 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I don't know where you got your numbers, but the populations of just Canada, US, and Mexico add up to over 443.1 million.

Oops. You're quite right. One of the various maps hanging up in my office (makes me feel like a Bond villain) is a demographic world map - evidently it has a pretty major typo. Well, since it gives its sources as being the UN and the CIA, I certainly hope it was a typo. Anyway, I really should have caught it but it was late and I was tired and...sorry... Embarassed

Quote:
And to be clear, when I say Europe, I don't mean any of the former Eastern Bloc countries, the United Kingdom, Ireland or Turkey. Which would bring the population's well into the 300's. In other words when I say Europe I mean it in a classical sense.

Hmm. I can see why you'd exclude Turkey (with the exception of Istanbul, it's in Asia) and the relatively impoverished former Eastern Bloc. But the UK and Ireland? Why?

hentai4me wrote:
Actually it's closer to Hawaii not wanting to be seen as part of America.

A small set of islands sitting off at the side.

I don't think Hawaii is a valid analogy at all. Until a couple of centuries ago, there was no connection between Hawaii and North America whatsoever. The British Isles, on the other hand, have been intriniscally linked with Europe in terms of culture, language, religion, politics, art, ethnicity, trade, diplomacy and philosophy for thousands of years. It wasn't until relatively recently (the 19th Century) that we started seeing ourselves less as a European power and more as a distinct global entity but, in a post-Imperial age, that's just self-delusional at this point.

Besides, the English Channel is less than 50 miles wide at its narrowest point whereas Hawaii is a couple of thousand miles from California...

Quote:
But I'm from the UK and I feel the exact opposite, we should throw ourselves wholeheartedly into Europe; even from a simply ideological view that Europe>Britain; if the economic numbers don't pan out...

As for the Euro, adopting it in due course.

Well I can agree with you wholeheartedly on that.

dormcat wrote:
Japanese and Britons are quite similar in this regard: they don't like being called as Asians, and when they use the word Asia-Jin (アジア人) in Japanese it's most likely they don't take Japanese into account.

That's interesting given the Japanese obsession with pan-Asian imperialism back in the early-mid 20th Century.
But I suppose Japan has never quite reconciled its Asian history, religion and culture with it's late 19th / early 20th Century obsession with all things Western European. In the late 1800s, some government ministers were even calling for the Japanese language to be scrapped and replaced with standard (British) English - they even set up English-language schools. And the post-war relationship with the US can only have compounded that cultural divide.

Possibly Japan's increasing economic links with South Korea and China and its peripheral involvement with ASEAN will see Japanese viewpoints changing over the next few decades?
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Part of me loves how this is turning into a geography discussion! x3

Urd wrote:
You're perfectly right, comics aren't considered for children in France, I thought that was the case everywhere else. Question

Nope, not like that here in America, at least. Comics are seen as either for young children, or sweaty, middle-aged guys that live in their mom's basement.

The "normal" adults that do read comics, or at least admit to reading them, stick to the comic strips in the newspaper, and while some of those are pretty good, it's not quite the same as reading a good-sized comic book. :[
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Hmm. I can see why you'd exclude Turkey (with the exception of Istanbul, it's in Asia) and the relatively impoverished former Eastern Bloc. But the UK and Ireland? Why?

I did say in a classical sense. Look, there are two very valid explanations, one simple and one a little more complicated. I don't really want to go into a history lesson or bore anyone, so I will stay with the simple explanation. And tell it from a distinctly American perspective.

First, I would like to say that from solely a plate tectonics, or membership to the EU(of which the UK contributes even more than France) viewpoint. Then yes, the UK is indeed part of Europe. I would also like to point out that the pound is still used, and that most don't consider the bond between states of the EU to be of the same closeness of that of the States of America(that statement is both true and false at the same time depending on the circumstance). Plus I wasn't basing it soley on the membership to the EU, just as I don't consider Canada and Mexico to be part of the United States based on NAFTA. Also continental movement is the only known thing in the universe to be in fact slower than molasses. ;)

But I am speaking from strictly a cultural point of view. Of which of all the nations on the continent, is generally closest to our own. Which is why in common speak, when someone says they are going on holiday in Europe, they generally mean somewhere between Greece straight up to the Scandinavian states and over to Portugal and everywhere in between that triangle. But not including the UK and Ireland. If they are going to the UK as well, they usually say something like, "I am going to Europe, plus England". This of course will become less and less evident as the further disintegration of history and traditions of the British Isles ensues, and the population takes a more cosmopolitan Parisian-esque nature. But I don't think we are there, yet.

On a more comical note. When an English fellow calls us fat and ugly, we don't hate him as much as when say, a Frenchman says it, because we feel at least the English man said it to our face. Ludicrous? Absolutely.

In short, in common launguage we just don't consider it to be part of Europe. It is not meant to be an insult to either Europe as a whole, nor to the UK. It is just an acknowledgement of the differences we see, and the perceived closness to our own culture. From a second historical perspective, I believe an expanded solid description can be made. But as I said I am not going to get in to that, as it will assuredly be longwinded, misunderstood, and start senseless arguments. Plus even I as you might have gathered, recognize a period of change that is occuring, except I don't acclaim full annulment of the things that have come before. But as I said, I am viewing it from a classical point of view.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc -

Thanks for the sensible, considered answer. I understand your American perspective argument and I certainly wasn't taking your omission as an insult.
I'm still not sure the omission makes sense, even from an American perspective, given that the context of the report is economic rather than cultural (Ireland has adopted the Euro and Britain is not the only EU nation not to have done so) and that was the source of my confusion.

Oh, and if I might be particularly pedantic for a moment (even by my standards), Europe in a "classical sense" would be Europe from an ancient Greek / Roman perspective and would include North Africa and the near Middle East whilst excluding pretty much everywhere north of the Balkans.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Oh, and if I might be particularly pedantic for a moment (even by my standards), Europe in a "classical sense" would be Europe from an ancient Greek / Roman perspective and would include North Africa and the near Middle East whilst excluding pretty much everywhere north of the Balkans.

This is true, and bad vocabulary on my part. But I think you got what I was saying.

Perhaps a "post WWII, pre-globalization point of view" would make more sense. Although I am not sure if that is right either. I am having a block at the moment.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Perhaps a "post WWII, pre-globalization point of view" would make more sense. Although I am not sure if that is right either. I am having a block at the moment.

Fear not, Donald Rumsfeld has the answer.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Fear not, Donald Rumsfeld has the answer.

Hmm, as the term Old Europe sounds descriptive enough. I want to distance myself as far as possible from that wiki entry as I can. As laid out by the several of the pundits mentioned in that entry it appears to be much too narrow. And much too 24 hour changeable news cycle 'gotcha' story of the day to have any real meaning. At least for my purposes.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:11 am Reply with quote
Defining Europe is pretty tough...just look at sporting bodies...European sports tournaments run the whole gamut of strangeness including Israel in some while not in others, Armenia on some while excluded form others, Russia is both in and out depending upon prevailing politics...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:12 am Reply with quote
This is rather old news to us here as France and Germany were always way ahead of the rest of Europe for graphic novels and animation as their culture never adheared to the dogma "cartoons are just for kids" and have used animation and graphic novels to tell adult stories for years. The UK has only just in the last six years picked up on manga and even though it still is growing it still has a way to go to be at France and Germany's level because of that ingrained dogma. Manga and anime is also starting to show buds of growth in the other European countries that have become members of the EU since the fall of the "Iron Curtain".
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:39 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
Defining Europe is pretty tough...just look at sporting bodies...European sports tournaments run the whole gamut of strangeness including Israel in some while not in others, Armenia on some while excluded form others, Russia is both in and out depending upon prevailing politics...

The inclusion of Israel in some obstensibly European events was a political decision rather than a geographical one.

With regards to Russia, defining the eastern border of Europe is always problematic because Europe isn't a continent at all, geologically speaking - it's a historical and cultural construct that is comprised of, essentially, Medieval Christendom (minus Ethiopia of course). I think that, traditionally, the most commonly used eastern boundry is the Ural Mountains to the Black Sea (think of a line running south from the Kara Sea that cuts south-west before it hits Kazakhstan and culminates in Georgia).
So all of the historical Russia is included in "Europe" but certainly not all of the post-18th Century Russian Empire / the current Russian Federation. The inhabitants of cities like St. Petersburg, Moscow and Kursk certainly think of themselves as Europeans.

Dargonxtc wrote:
Hmm, as the term Old Europe sounds descriptive enough. I want to distance myself as far as possible from that wiki entry as I can. As laid out by the several of the pundits mentioned in that entry it appears to be much too narrow.

Ah, I was being facetious. Rumsfeld isn't exactly popular to the west of the old Iron Curtain...
I don't think there is actually a commonly used term for the area you're describing. Western Europe would be the closest but that generally includes the UK and Ireland. "Western Continental Europe" would just about cover it but it's a bit of a mouthful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3