• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime to Remake Like It's 1999 [2019-01-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Damn that Dagashi Kashi vote.

I guess a bunch of people soured on it.
Netero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
You mention Ben-Hur and Magnificent Seven, but how many people today even knew about those movies if not for the buzz and attention garnered by the remakes?

Magnificent Seven is already a remake Confused
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
But most folks aren't going to/aren't able to go dig up some 20+ year old series or movie
The amount of comments I constantly witness of people moaning about modern Anime, puts me in the mind that a lot of people are still going back to watch these.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
WTF is with that Dagashi Kashi entry? O_o

Personally I'd love to see more Crest/Banner of the stars. It probably doesn't need to be remade (though I'm planning on rewatching it soon, so maybe that will change), but I wouldn't be against it if it covered more novels in the end.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Anyways, my 1999 remake suggestion: a 480p remaster of Kaikan Phrase.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I don’t think that any of these shows are old enough to be remade! Give them at least another ten years, then do remakes.
db999

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
There are only two shows from 1999 I would have wanted to see remade. One of them is Hunter x Hunter, but it's already been remade, and there isn't enough material for them to make another season. The other show I might like to see get remade would be One Piece, or more specifically get a Dragon Ball Kai re-edit that cuts out all of the filler. I used to watch One Piece but the pacing nowadays is absolutely atrocious, even worse than Dragon Ball Z was. That's why I voted for One Piece on the survey last week.

Also as far as remaking shows and movies go, I think that if you're going to remake something it should be because the original wasn't that good, or to readapt a series that either wasn't faithful to its source material or to finish adapting said material. Or even to just take the base concept of the original and go in a completely new direction with it. I typically won't watch a remake unless it does one of those things.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:
Pet Shop of Horror would prob be too clean looking if they remade it today. Wouldnt have that 90s gritty look to it.

Yes, like movies and TV, aren't we basically just ADMITTING that Anime Was Better in the 90's?

(The same as we say "Every movie was better in the 80's", but of course, that's not always true about anime.) Smile
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
db999 wrote:

Also as far as remaking shows and movies go, I think that if you're going to remake something it should be because the original wasn't that good, or to readapt a series that either wasn't faithful to its source material or to finish adapting said material. Or even to just take the base concept of the original and go in a completely new direction with it. I typically won't watch a remake unless it does one of those things.

Yes, exactly my opinion on remakes I also avoid them unless is made with that reasons.

The 1960 "The Magnificent Seven" i talk about before.
Seven Samurai is a masterpiece that don't need a remake. But "The Magnificent Seven" is a western and is completely new direction from Akira Kurosawa samurai masterpiece.

The 2016 remake of 1960 "The Magnificent Seven" by other hand doesn't bring almost nothing new.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I loved Crest/Banner of the Stars, but the last thing it needs is a remake. Just give us more of it! Infinite Ryvius was fine as-is too. Remakes in general very rarely wind up being worthwhile. If people are unwilling to seek out older works, then quite frankly that's their own short-sighted problem.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see a Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne remake.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Not a remake, but I'd kill for more Pet Shop of Horrors. 4 OVAs just weren't enough..
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:43 pm Reply with quote
One series that I would be very pleased to see a remake of would be Great Teacher Onizuka. The biggest reason why is to see the rest of the manga’s story in anime form due to the first anime stopping before some very key moments that help make this series one of my all-time favorites.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Not a remake, but I'd kill for more Pet Shop of Horrors. 4 OVAs just weren't enough..

Agreed! And with the original manga series completed and the Tokyo follow-up apparently wrapped up as well, there's plenty of material.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
If it's specifically limited to 1999 then i have one that desperately deserves the chance to do better and that's Angel Links.

The Crest Franchise is something i'd love to see as well but that was already on the list.

If we can pick something not from '99 then i'd love to see Serial Expirements Lain get a more modern take on it's concept and story. The only catch is that i'd require they keep the opening song.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5