• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Produces Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
Zof, I have removed several of your posts from this thread. You need to stop with the off topic soapboxing and rude posts towards other users.

As for everyone else let's cool it with the nerd rage and pointless pessimism. Nobody says you have to think his will be good or that you need to be interested in it. Coming into the thread though to simply complain and nothing else adds nothing of value to the conversation.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:57 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Maybe to a certain extent (such as Super effectively booting it out of canon) but given elements of have it cropped up in other media you wouldn't know that

GT was extremely popular in Japan, that's why. I'm not sure where this "GT ruined the franchise like Evolution did" is coming from, unless they're talking specifically American fans, but I'd blame the poor dub for that.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Evolution did nothing to do the franchise since it bombed at the box office and did terribly critically. It came and quickly become forgotten. GT on the other hand, ended with 64 episodes (compare to the long run that DB and DBZ had) and we didn't get anything new with Dragon Ball until Battle of Gods.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Myself, I hope they succeed. It would be like breaking a curse. And it would be fun to watch. It just faces a high bar to get over within the fandom because of the fandom's "this is part of me, don't mess with it" fears. Comic book movies have succeeded, so maybe this could too. Not replying to anyone in particular, just my two bits.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
GT was extremely popular in Japan, that's why.

I wasn't the one who brought GT into the conversation, and after this I'll stop contributing to the derail (and this'll probably get deleted anyway), but...

No, GT was not at all "extremely popular" in Japan.

There are plenty of interviews with the Japanese creators stating how divisive or poorly received it was over there.

Quote:
Dragon Ball GT had a very divisive response among fans in Japan and worldwide. But how did the series producer handle this divisive response?

In a recently translated interview for a 2005 Dragon Box release in Japan, Dragon Ball GT producer Kozo Morishita admits that while the series had naysayers, he believed they would be more accepting of the series once it was over.

Morishita elaborated with "There were many fans who valued it for the way that it took the 'anything goes' plot progression of the original manga and went even further with it. At the same time, there were those who said it took the 'anything goes' attitude too far. There were fans who wondered 'why are you ruining the original?' and also those who thought that the 'ruined' parts were what made it interesting."

But Morishita took the criticism in stride, "Perhaps Dragon Ball GT pushed away some of those who had been fans from the very beginning of the manga’s run, but it also created many new fans, and maybe Goku has been very important to them too."

Reflecting on the series Morishita admits that the series just didn't have original series creator Akira Toriyama as a security blanket, "Thinking about it now, perhaps Dragon Ball GT appears separate from the sense of security of a 'Akira Toriyama work.' However, I am certain that even fans who were naysayers will be convinced [when] they watch the final episode of Dragon Ball GT."

https://comicbook.com/anime/2017/12/02/dragon-ball-gt-united-states-reception

Quote:
Speaking of the different regions, what do you believe the Japanese fans want compared to the North America fans?

GT is popular with fans overseas. In Japan, it’s not as popular.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/28/dragon-ball-raging-blast-2-producer-on-cross-cultural-dragon-ball-development/

(I find it funny he thinks it's popular here in comparison to Japan, which alone is pretty telling...)

Quote:
When it aired in Japan, GT's ratings got steadily lower. The highest rated episode is episode 2; the lowest in 21, but the average episode rating per story arc declined from 15.1% for the dragon ball hunt to 13.6% for the Evil Dragons. In contrast, DB's average was 21.2%, and Z's was 20.1%. The fact that it ended at 64 episodes compared to the long runs the DB and DBZ anime had is probably a sign that it didn't go over as well as Toei had hoped. (GT's done better on home release in Japan, possibly because it has no cheaper manga counterpart for people to buy instead like DB and DBZ, and possibly because by the time it was finally released nostalgia had kicked in. It seems like these days, GT is getting the most exposure through DB Heroes, which is pretty popular and prominently features many elements from GT.)

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28890

I'm nowhere near fluent in Japanese, but I know enough to be able to navigate to Japan's Yahoo Answers and see that it's absolutely littered with people asking why GT was so unpopular / has such a bad reputation, and plenty of people stating the obvious reasons.

And yeah, GT lasted a mere 64 episodes (in comparison to Drag On Ball and Z lasting for hundreds) and then we didn't see much at all from the franchise aside from games for a full decade. Even if GT wasn't the sole or primary cause of that drought, and not that shounen series don't eventually end, but it certainly left a tarnished reputation in regards to how the franchise initially went out.

(Back on topic...)

I don't think a potentially bad live-action Bebop would damage Bebop's legacy in the same way, as its an independent reinterpretation on the other side of the globe, and if it is bad hopefully it can be forgotten and dismissed as easily as Death Note and GitS (and Evolution) and such, but just saiyan.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Myself, I hope they succeed. It would be like breaking a curse. And it would be fun to watch. It just faces a high bar to get over within the fandom because of the fandom's "this is part of me, don't mess with it" fears. Comic book movies have succeeded, so maybe this could too. Not replying to anyone in particular, just my two bits.

I don’t think anyone wants the series to fail, it’s just that a lot of bad examples have led to pessimism. Netflix in particular, with their last in-house adaptation being Death Note, which was...contentious to say the least.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
It would be cool if they got Quentin Tarantino to help direct it, but I doubt it.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
No, GT was not at all "extremely popular" in Japan.

There are plenty of interviews with the Japanese creators stating how divisive or poorly received it was over there.

That's odd because it averaged 31K a volume and appeared to be one of the better sellers of the 90s (even better than DB and DBZ oddly enough)

Source: http://www.someanithing.com/312
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:42 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Imagine if they made Vicious into some kind of black-wearing hipster with an odd bird pet, and wields a sword in gun fights because he's edgy and nihilistic.

This would become my new holiday classic, joining the ranks of such other classic disaster films such as "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" and Netflix's "A Christmas Prince 2".
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Keanu Reeves will get the play Spike this time? He is popular again thanks to John Wick.
DCR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:
Quote:
The first episode of the new Cowboy Bebop is written by Chris Yost who worked on Thor: The Dark World and Thor: Ragnarok.

Typically, I reserve judgment until I see the finished work. However, I'm making an exception after reading this as there are two issues wrong with the quote.

1) Inexperienced writer

He may not have a lot of experience with live action, but he worked as writer on several cartoons.

Cowboy Bebop is one of those few anime that could really work if done by americans, so I will definitely give it a try.
OceanwaveIII

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
Someone mentioned that they do this because of the animation ghetto. I mean honestly taking everything and making some crappy live action version of the cartoon keeps the ghetto in place , There Nothing Natural about the animation ghetto , it not something related to being biologically being adult it pure socialization and culture training . You have to be told " this is bad you shouldn't do this " , The idea that you can't enjoy stylized art based story is a weird kinda modern prejudice thing lol that for some strange reason people want to keep going even if it filled with more social inconsistency than swiss cheese. .

Not sure the point of live action you give someone who wouldn't of watched the animation a really bad version of a bad American movie , It bombs everyone from critics to fans to the general public hate them and it forgot ? does Hollywood enjoy losing money or something over these flops ? Guessing netflix want to go down the toilet next be my guess . I mean I understand Hollywood/netflix desperate to make money off the popularity of anime , but desperation obviously doesn't translate into success

. But eh the reason these thing fails with exploiting comic book materials (that still American culture) you can pave over American culture , No one reads comics ,

With manga and anime The content may not be purely Japanese . but there all sort of things about how Entertainment is produced and expectations that are purely culture . Americans rarely notice it since it rare we watch anything outside of a Generic US English language programming . or anything with Subtitles.that you couldn't do understand the constraints of normal US TV and Hollywood , Maybe netflix will be different , but death note sucked ... so there off to a bad start.

Series in Japan you know when they make the animation off the manga ? It actually attempts to follow the manga and that why it popular the better the animation quality and more faithfulness to the original the better the series is in Japan .

That like the exact opposites of how things work with US cartoon or live action production . The original source material is just some Loose guide for the director to make whatever crap they want , since most Americans don't care about comics .

US Comic book movies are successful because someone put actual effort and passion into them . while the original comic could of been complete garbage . The material also is based on generic US culture "Set in newyork "making it easy to pave over . That like the inverse with a popular manga or anime there popular because the original had alot of effort and passion put into it and that why it globally popular .
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
Hopefully it may not turn out to badly. But that's just optimism speaking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6