• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Produces Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:13 am Reply with quote
In any case, I don't know how I feel about this. Having Watanabe as a consultant could do good for the show. Or maybe not. But fact is, unless it does to the Original Anime what Blade Runner 2049 did to Blade Runner, chances are it will be in the shadow of the original.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
Just yesterday when they announced they got Evangelion I wondered if they would get Bebop's streaming rights (BTW, is the series available in the U.S.?, because where I live it isn't). Right now, I have mixed emotions about this, I'm not too attached to Cowboy Bebop, I saw it twice and I really enjoyed it, but never in a million years I thought the live-action project would see the light of day.
About the show itself, I think someone mentioned Firefly as an example of how a show like Bebop would work in live-action, I think the show needs a big budget for the scenes set in space. Also, I don't think they should adapt the original episodes too closely, they can make some original stories and maybe expand Spike's past (I heard Watanabe wanted the movie to be an origin story for Spike, but he tought it wouldn't satisfy fans).
Lastly, I wonder if the japanese cast would reprise their roles for the japanese dub, except Jet of course since his voice actor passed away. Also, Spike's latin-american voice actor said he would love to voice him again if there was a live-action version, and although he moved from Mexico to Canada, he would come back just to voice him.
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:08 am Reply with quote
Western adaptations of anime staples have rarely been any good. I don’t expect this to be any different. A lot of what made CB great, the music, the myriad pop culture references probably won’t be included

meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
Why wouldn't they just revive firefly instead? Seems like they'd get the same outcome but have way less problem doing an adaptation. Plus the positive buzz would be very strong, rather than mix response tilting to negative.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote
As long as they don't try to adapt the anime episodes, but simultaneously stay true to the anime plot, it should be fine.

I've always believed that the best way to adapt an anime is to assume that the audience is already invested in the characters and plot, while simultaneously having a self-sufficient plot.

The plot of the adaptation should be new, but fit within the plot of the source material. Like between episodes X and Y.
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
It makes me think we don't have any news of the live-action One Piece tv show that was announced a long time ago. I wonder if the project finally died in secret.
Coldcherrii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
It makes me think we don't have any news of the live-action One Piece tv show that was announced a long time ago. I wonder if the project finally died in secret.

The same company (Tomorrow Studios), with the same producer (Marty Adelstein) is tagged with producing the One Piece live action.

So it might not be too long until we get that announcement.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Is it really that strange, though? Bebop is about as American-esque as anime gets, and there have been some other (terrible) live-action versions of anime produced lately, at least one by Netflix.
True, however it's not just American in a broad sense. This is very classic America, like a cross between an early 20th century pulp story, a film noir from the 40s and a detective style show from the 70s.
GMArcturus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
First and foremost, it need Tank. Somehow in the film it has to be heard. Already many people recognizing that song as half of the shows identity, something to remember fondly about, and new viewers will share those views as well. The franchise already has this great marketing hook and only idiot producers will not see the potential.

Ideally, it would be perfect to have Yoko Kano (Kanno?) to reprise music roles in the film. Kano is already modestly a world class musician and composer often traveling the globe to make music and perform. Hopefully her international career will also be recognized to be asked to work on the title once again.

As much as it needs Tank it needs The Real Folk Blues even more.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Honestly, I don't understand the apocalyptic hand-wringing every time one of these adaptations is announced. If it's terrible, then don't watch it. If it winds up being good by some miracle, so much the better. It doesn't change the original's status either way. For me, I don't have Netflix and have no plans to get it, so I'll never see it regardless.

To put it simply, it's because it tarnishes the name and reputation. Even if we do not watch the garbage, it's name is damaged for all eternity. For example I ask people if they've seen Death Note. They tell me they watched the first few minutes and dropped it because it was bad. After thinking for a bit I realize they meant the live-action and try to explain to them how much better the anime is but it generally sounds unbelievable to most of them and takes a lot of work to convince them to give it a shot.

Netflix should've just grabbed the anime. Neon Genesis Evangelion's announcement was met with worldwide excitement. This is met with worldwide disgust. Both deservingly so.
Zof

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
Is it really that strange, though? Bebop is about as American-esque as anime gets, and there have been some other (terrible) live-action versions of anime produced lately, at least one by Netflix.
True, however it's not just American in a broad sense. This is very classic America, like a cross between an early 20th century pulp story, a film noir from the 40s and a detective style show from the 70s.

Exactly. It's deliberately westernized like Baccano or Black Lagoon.
Zof

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Honestly, I don't understand the apocalyptic hand-wringing every time one of these adaptations is announced. If it's terrible, then don't watch it. If it winds up being good by some miracle, so much the better. It doesn't change the original's status either way. For me, I don't have Netflix and have no plans to get it, so I'll never see it regardless.

To put it simply, it's because it tarnishes the name and reputation. Even if we do not watch the garbage, it's name is damaged for all eternity.

I'd take that a step further. Once Hollywood forcibly rapes an Anime property, it dies. You never see that property used again. No more anything. It's just done. That has been the pattern. So it feels like some jerk turned your childhood memories into a prostitute then killed them.

Edit: Damnit, not quite done. That's still not even completely it. It's worse with an Anime because that Anime was SPECIAL because most people didn't even know it existed. So it was your special thing forever. This wasn't some stupid GIJoe or Transformers reboot. It's like they went out of their way to find something rare and special you cared about that you thought was safe, then raped, and killed it.

Last edited by Zof on Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
Since I have very little interest in this project, I will just say congrats to those who wanted live action Cowboy Bebop. I am happy sticking with the anime.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Zof wrote:

I'd take that a step further. Once Hollywood forcibly rapes an Anime property, it dies. You never see that property used again. No more anything. It's just done. That has been the pattern. So it feels like some jerk turned your childhood memories into a prostitute then killed them.

Edit: Damnit, not quite done. That's still not even completely it. It's worse with an Anime because that Anime was SPECIAL because most people didn't even know it existed. So it was your special thing forever. This wasn't some stupid GIJoe or Transformers reboot. It's like they went out of their way to find something rare and special you cared about that you thought was safe, then raped, and killed it.

If any of that were actually true then Dragon Ball wouldn’t be a thing anymore after the awfulness that is Evolution in 2009...... yet here we are in 2018 with the Dragon Ball franchise more or less revitalized with another new movie coming out in theaters.

So enough with the extreme over-exaggeration. Granted a bad movie will inevitably hurt the rep of the original brand but stop acting like they are violating your family & parading their corpse around for all to see. If the Transformers fan-base can handle the horror that is the Bayformers for over a decade, this is nothing & that franchise is special to a ton of people so the Bayformers really hurt.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Cowboy Bebop but, I don't see the point of making this into a live action show because, who is this for? Everyone who loves it will probably just rewatch the anime and if the show isn't accurate to the anime then why even make a show, of it doesn't fit into the cannon then don't bother.

While I don't think it's the greatest anime ever instill consider it a classic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6