• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: In Another World With My Smartphone: Limited Edition BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
How it got a Limited Edition is beyond me?

I didn't hate this show, but yeah, there are much better shows recently that could have gotten LEs instead, like the above-mentioned Saga of Tanya the Evil (I would have gotten that in an instant) or Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. I'm also really irritated that Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond isn't getting one even though the first season did since a) I liked this season better, and b) now it won't match on my shelf. Mad
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:57 am Reply with quote
Toonces wrote:
Chaos Wings wrote:

I think this actually streamed well, despite the hate for it. People genuinely like these types of shows. I tend to agree with Nick on this one, but there's a definite audience for this stuff. I agree it's a shame that shows like Tanya, WorldEnd, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, or even Danganronpa 3 (which I thought also sucked, but I would've bought LEs) didn't get anything, but that's the way it goes. People may also be right about materials provided or that Funi could get rights to print.

Personally, I didn't even like the novel that much. It's just a boring series to me. But J-Novel says it's one of their top sellers, and it does well in Japan, so the audience definitely exists.

....ok this just surprised me...goes to show how different peoples' tastes are entirely. I buy every single harem anime that gets dubbed and after watching this I became obsessed with it. I love the characters and story!I Intend to now buy the physical copy of the novels and trying(but failing)to find a plush version of Kohaku.
already chain watched this 4 times after getting my limited edition bluray.

It happens ever so often that after watching an anime i go all in with the localized novels/manga Did the same with trinity seven,freezing, sekirei, danmachi. and Rosario vampire.(monster musume is the 1st that i bought the manga before the anime)

With this and SAO I encounter alot of people who seem to hate what i like!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
This was one of those shows where you could tell from justing looking that at the very nost the best it could ever hope for is decent.
meiam wrote:
Isekai show sells, they sell really well. Some people just love the power/harem fantasy, some people just want another hit of sword art online. Fact is, if show like this didn't sell the anime industry would collapse, these are literally the cash cow that fund every niche show.
I'm sure they would just find something else to be the next big thing

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toonces

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
a large part of it is streaming performance. that's never been a secret. They even directly address this in the blog post that discusses the LE's for IBO, Gal and Testament Burst on the website. I'm admittedly somewhat baffled myself, but both Gal and Smartphone had overall better success than Dragon Maid and New Game

I went back to read the blog you brought up, interestingly they only specifically state that Gal got high Simuldub streaming numbers, but I assume that rule applies to the bulk of their LE selections. I am curious if Crunchyroll gives them a general idea of how well certain series streamed (I'm assuming they don't give exact numbers).

Although Gal doesn't surprise me too much- Rightstuf and Funimation people have always said that the ecchi/fan service stuff sells extremely well.

Siegfriedl88 wrote:
....ok this just surprised me...goes to show how different peoples' tastes are entirely.

Yeah, we just like different things. I don't mind some light stuff, and I don't even mind OP heroes, but Smartphone just made things way too easy for Touya. I also didn't care for Death March (though I haven't read the novels or manga).

Generally I do prefer the hero at least having to make some token efforts or at least be a fun character. So I'm a Spider and Arifureta have the heroes start out weak, even if it doesn't take long for them to get much stronger. Overlord's Ains has charisma and generally I find the cast of characters are all varied and colorful enough to help make the series enjoyable.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
Chaos Wings wrote:

I didn't hate this show, but yeah, there are much better shows recently that could have gotten LEs instead, like the above-mentioned Saga of Tanya the Evil (I would have gotten that in an instant) or Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. I'm also really irritated that Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond isn't getting one even though the first season did since a) I liked this season better, and b) now it won't match on my shelf. Mad

Yeah, I REALLY wish Tanya had gotten one. So much cool art they could have used for that great show.

Same for BBB&B. It was great and I really thought that would get one just like the first season. I was really surprised when it went up as just a regular edition.

Another super confusing one was last year's awesome Drifters. Still in shock that didn't get an LE. I hope they are going to bundle these new eps that are getting made, maybe two at a time or something if they keep getting made this way rather than as a new season.
Goober2049

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:09 am Reply with quote
The biggest problem I have with Isekai Smartphone is that most of the best parts of the volumes covered in the anime weren't included. The next biggest problem I have is that it would take like 2 more seasons to get to the conflict that actually does potentially pose a problem big enough to be a threat to Touya.

I've been enjoying the light novels, but I dunno if I like the anime enough to buy a limited edition of it.
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
Can't comment on the Dub because I haven't seen it, but watching this steaming all I could think was "this is boring trash". From start to finish I couldn't find anything compelling about it.

The show has only limited sales potential, so the way to maximise profits is by soaking its few fans for as much as you can get away with. Good shows don't need gimmicks to sell.
Rokk3000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
I rather enjoyed the series and definitely hope it gets a second season to continue or finish the story. I haven't checked out the manga but might if the local library gets it - I'm buying a few too many series already.
Vadara

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
See, y'all, remember when people complained about Sword Art Online?

SAO was one of the good ones. But now they've already burnt through the good LN's like the Monogatari series, SAO, Konosuba, etc., and they're starting to adapt the completely trashy and utterly insipid web-novel derived light novels that are a dime a dozen these days. Prepare yourselves. And honestly, amongst the new genre of "isekai where protagonist is hilarious overpowered and wins everything", Smartphone is still near the top. They haven't even gotten to the really awful isekai. Those'll make Smartphone look a 9/10 series.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
Toonces wrote:
Chaos Wings wrote:

I think this actually streamed well, despite the hate for it. People genuinely like these types of shows. I tend to agree with Nick on this one, but there's a definite audience for this stuff. I agree it's a shame that shows like Tanya, WorldEnd, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, or even Danganronpa 3 (which I thought also sucked, but I would've bought LEs) didn't get anything, but that's the way it goes. People may also be right about materials provided or that Funi could get rights to print.

Personally, I didn't even like the novel that much. It's just a boring series to me. But J-Novel says it's one of their top sellers, and it does well in Japan, so the audience definitely exists.

....ok this just surprised me...goes to show how different peoples' tastes are entirely. I buy every single harem anime that gets dubbed and after watching this I became obsessed with it. I love the characters and story!I Intend to now buy the physical copy of the novels and trying(but failing)to find a plush version of Kohaku.

Josh Grelle is the guy to cast for harem dubs. It's become a forte of his.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Josh Grelle is the guy to cast for harem dubs. It's become a forte of his.

Yea, he is in a lot of em, recast of issei in Highschool dxd,, he also voices the main character in date alive,akashic records,freezing,majikoi,infinite stratos,Shimoneta...etc...

I personally would like Austin tindle too be cast in more , His delivery of his lines in is this a zombie?, ben-to and No-rin cracks me up each time i rewatch em.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2