• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
(I don't even know why they're going so slow, do they plan on making more? Because I would be all for that).

I would like to think that that is the plan due to the fact that besides this first TV season, this series is not only getting 1 or 2, but 3 OVAs all within 6 months of each other. This type of release method plus the way the anime is adapting the manga leads me to believe that Xebec is going to be in this for the long run, initially at least. I too would be all over that if that is indeed the case.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
why doesn't Oboro become Genshiro's wife?

This is brought up in a later manga chapter by the other girls, and Oboro explains.

If I recall, spoiler[Oboro was created from the tail of the previous dragon god to serve Genshiro. She consequently sees him as a family relative, and incest doesn't interest her. However, she's on the lookout for ways to strengthen the Ryuuga line, and what better way (to her) than by having a baby with a strong man like Kogarashi?]

It has been a while since I read, so please correct if I'm wrong in any way.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, this result conveniently ignores another option that I thought was so obvious it might actually happen: why doesn't Oboro become Genshiro's wife?

I would have thought that was obvious from the episode between the flashback with Genshiro's mother and Oboro's formal introduction of herself to Kogarashi. Oboro was born from the tail of the previous Black Dragon God, aka Genshiro's father. Though she wasn't born in the same way as Genshiro - meaning she's a God Blade not a Dragon God - she is still for all intents and purposes his sister.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I loved Episode 9. I enjoyed it so much that I feel comfortable calling it one of my favorites of the season. Nearly everything this week worked so well for me with the fanservice (Chisaki struggling about was humorous) and the little character moments (Sagiri being blinded by Chisaki’s skills) and it left me craving for more as soon as the episode ended. Just wonderfully done all around. Smile
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 9 is a good example of why people like this series. Nice fan service and comedy, without resorting to cliched misunderstandings or slapstick violence against the guy.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Only sad thing about these harem series is that usually about 90% of the time, the first girl on screen or at least interacting with the MP, is the one chosen. So it makes the entire cast irrelevant. Just meandering through a dozen episodes before coming to the conclusion that would have taken just a few episodes at most.

Most recent one where the MP doesn't end up with the first girl was that animal club one a some years back. Though that was sloppy because they literally banked everything on the lead girl and then at the last minute the MP decides on one of the supporters. There was very little chemistry between the final two.

The authors could do much better by really properly balancing the cast instead of focusing on one over the others, then kinda just playing around for a bit before deciding what you knew from the start. Or at least giving decent chemistry between the other cast members. Many series try to but, rarely make it convincing enough.

I get it, even authors have favorites that they create, but they need to approach it from a perspective of their protagonist and how each could become the lead love interest. Not just pulling out worn out tropes that mindlessly fawn over the protagonist and are only there to support the relationship between the big two. This is probably the greatest weakness of the harem genre, the author's inability to go outside of the tropes.
Saito?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Agree with the ep.11 review, it's so damn refreshing to have a harem lead that isn't dense!
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:33 am Reply with quote
I'm kinda in the middle overall. Big fan of the manga but the anime adaptation was pretty flawed and the last episode was too low on fanservice to help me look past the comedy and drama falling flat.

The first six episodes were incredibly fun. I could forgive the slow pacing because it meant fanservice scenes (Which, not gonna lie, are what I came to the series for) were more substantial and exciting. I also noticed a few times where there was a pantyshot that wasn't in the manga or a lingering camera angle on a really good scene that went by really quick. I think Chisaki's undressing scene with Yuuna was better in the anime, which was probably my favourite scene in the whole thing. Sometimes I just wanna watch something lighthearted with a bit of excitement and it delivered.

But while the fanservice improved in some areas, the pacing really brought it down when things got serious. The 4 chapters where Oboro attacks are probably the low point what I've read so far since the series eventually gets a lot better at incorporating ecchi scenes into the conflict to keep things fun. They take you about 10 minutes to read so I don't hold it against the manga, it could have easily been done in a single episode. But it got stretched across two whole episodes which I did not enjoy.

Thankfully the fanservice does pick up in the next three episodes, with pretty much no skirt left unflipped. But the censorship did start to annoy me a bit more. I understand nipples, but it got too much when some pantyshots started being censored. Plus the last episode was just a bit too draggy. I'm hoping they do make a second season though, and possibly more. It would justify the snail's pace it went at with this season, and the next 30 or so unadapted chapters focus more on the ecchi than the weak attempts at drama.

Joshua Zarate wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
(I don't even know why they're going so slow, do they plan on making more? Because I would be all for that).

I would like to think that that is the plan due to the fact that besides this first TV season, this series is not only getting 1 or 2, but 3 OVAs all within 6 months of each other. This type of release method plus the way the anime is adapting the manga leads me to believe that Xebec is going to be in this for the long run, initially at least. I too would be all over that if that is indeed the case.
Yep, despite my issues I'd be happy if Xebec kept doing more anime.

(Also I love your forum title lmao me too)
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That sets up the thornier issue: what about the regrets that are keeping Yuuna in this world?

That's been semi-answered in the manga; there's a recent arc that covers Yuuna's past and is just about concluded, but didn't quite address her personal regrets. Normally such an arc would indicate an end to the series, but I don't think the mangaka's quite done yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2