• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Giant Robo, Kimagure Orange Road, Galaxy Express 999, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
DopeyDragon wrote:
Govarian is the absolute last thing I would've expected Discotek to licence, but heck if I'm complaining. All these classic shows announcement like Giant Robo, 999, Area 88, and the other mecha shows are absolutely amazing!

Your point there is especially true considering that Discotek specializes in licensing/licensing rescuing many old-school anime titles, some of which might have only seen/re-seen the light of day by such a company.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:25 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
These anime when???

Quote:
Da Capo (all seasons and OVAs)
Manabi Straight
Minami-ke (all seasons and OVAs)
Seitokai Yakuindomo (All seasons, OVAs, and movie)
They Are My Noble Masters

Yes on Manabi Straight and especially the first season of Minami-ke, one of the funniest anime of all time! And I'm all in on KOR! Great news!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
If it really is the whole series, and not just one of the many later revivals or the movies (which could also use a good Blu-ray), I still MUST ask how they're planning to get 113 GE999 episodes on 3 BD's, even with restoration.

Re-read the article. It says 3 SETS, not 3 discs.

GeorgeC wrote:
I'm kind of wondering why the 1996 KOR animated movie wasn't licensed if they're going to license the rest of the anime franchise... That didn't make sense to me unless it's a rights issue.

That movie is owned by a different company than the rest of it.

And GE999 would certainly not be North America's first upscale. FAR FAR FAR from it. In fact, Funi did it before Japan made regular practice of it. I've done more than a handful myself.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:00 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Why fix something that's not broken? Discotek's current business model is more than good enough for the industry and the fandom. I don't like the idea about them being invested in by investors who will want a greater say in corporate affairs that may or may not be in the interests of either the fans or Discotek. Let Discotek do their own thing. It works and works beautifully!

Maybe because for better or worse, that's the way business works? To wit:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Is Discotek perhaps not big enough of a company to afford the streaming rights for many of their shows? That is, shows that don't currently have an streaming version.

Still, it certainly would be best if they're allowed to continue doing their own thing. For example, Funi has been better in every aspect since Sony acquired it, while still maintaining autonomy.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
I am much more of a streaming guy (I use VRV daily). That said, a big shout-out to all the hard work Justin Sevakis has done, is doing, or will do for the DVD authoring of so many older anime titles.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
IdeaOfEvil wrote:
I'm still waiting for:

Mazinger on sd/bd
Great Mazinger sd/bd

Mazinger Z got an HD remastered Blu-ray release in Japan last year (the first of Toei's anime shows to get an actual remaster from the negatives as everything before that, including Galaxy Express 999, had been terrible Q-Tec FORS upscales with a few others, like Marmalade Boy, getting SD BD releases in Japan) so I'm pretty sure SD BD's here for both shows are out of the question.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Also happy about GE999 and Bobobo. Not only was the latter screwed over by Illumnitoon, but both shows were screwed by S'more Ent. They gave GE999 terrible and expensive DVD sets that basically took the streaming masters with hard subs and slapped them on disc. Bobobo at least got a billingual release, albeit with no subtitles (not counting a DVD-ROM script print-out to follow along with. LOL).

And then S'more couldn't take the heat when getting called out on their excuses for said releases being bad on their old Facebook page which led to a lot of laughs. Laughing Laughing Laughing

jsevakis wrote:
And GE999 would certainly not be North America's first upscale. FAR FAR FAR from it. In fact, Funi did it before Japan made regular practice of it. I've done more than a handful myself.

Yeah, a lot of messy upscales from FUNi during the late 2000s with the most infamous at the time being Samurai Champloo which didn't get fixed until almost 2 years later for it's re-release.

8/31 EDIT: So Discotek announced last week that Great Mazinger will get an SD Blu-ray release in two months and with this happening now before Mazinger Z gets anything on the format here, it only confirms to me that they're waiting for approval on the HD remaster since the last of the Japanese sets came out back in June so we'll be waiting a while for that until the reverse importation fears from Toei's side are dealt with.

Last edited by NJ_ on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:00 am; edited 4 times in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Also happy about GE999 and Bobobo. Not only was the latter screwed over by Illumnitoon, but both shows were screwed by S'more Ent. They gave GE999 terrible and expensive DVD sets that basically took the streaming masters with hard subs and slapped them on disc. Bobobo at least got a billingual release, albeit with no subtitles (not counting a DVD-ROM script print-out to follow along with. LOL).

And then S'more couldn't take the heat when getting called out on their excuses for said releases being bad on their old Facebook page which led to a lot of laughs. Laughing Laughing Laughing

We did all start to wonder about S'more being a borderline-bootleg company after the fallout over that...What happened to them, anyway?
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:00 pm Reply with quote
KoR is pretty exciting. Obviously.

I'm actually pretty excited for Giant Robo but for a little fandom reason for Toshiyuki Kubooka. Kubooka was asked to emulate Mitsuteru Yokoyama's style in the original Giant Robo manga for the GR OVAs. Of key though why I'm about Kubooka is because he was the character designer for the LUNAR game series and also Albert Odyssey Gaiden, and as I enjoyed LUNAR in particular quite well when it first came state side I really enjoy Kubooka's character designs. Often watching Giant Robo makes me feel like I'm watching some sort of Sci-Fi -esque LUNAR title. He currently does character work for The Idolm@aster which I feel considering that series' popularity he'll eventually be more known for.
Tetsuryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm still mad about this shift to SDBD.

I like DVD better because it works. Blu-ray players break if you so much as look at them funny. I care less about some marginal encode improvement than, y'know, being able to watch them.
VigorousJammer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Man, Discotek knocking it out of the park like usual with their licensing announcements.
There's a good reason they're my favorite licensing company around nowadays, and it's because they always license these iconic classic shows!
They're also not even afraid to pick up some more obscure stuff like Govarian, which says a lot about how dedicated they are to bringing retro anime to the masses.
There's at least three sets I absolutely need to pick up here, and many others I might pick up as well. So many great shows to buy!
Darkshader

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Yup I suggested Voltes V, Daimos, Mechader Robo, Laserion and Message from Space: Galactic Wars almost two years ago to Discotek Media and Sentai Filmworks. Discotek said that they will look into it. For sure a lot of kids who grew up in Asia and Europe in the late 70's and early 80's have seen these animes. Voltes V and Daimos is a must and should be part of your collection if your an anime robot fan.

My money goes to:

1. Voltes V (The best robot series in my opinion)
2. Message from Space: Galactic Wars TV Series (Very nostalgic and have been waiting since the DVD version came out in Japan a few years ago. The TV series is way way better than the movie)
3. Galaxy Express 999 TV Series (One of my favorite anime's of all time)
4. Cyborg 009 TV Series (Classic anime)
5. Giant Robo

Maybe in the future
Kimagure Orange Road or Area 88
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6