• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BlockStudios/CryptoAnime Initiative Runs Digital Art Market With Cryptocurrency

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
lol no thanks. these ideas just have too many potential issues
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty suspicious of anything crypto- at this point. It seems their pitches ultimately just come down to big arrows pointing to the word Blockchain.
Eriol_

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
Even if I thought this were a good idea, I still wouldn't want to back an initiative on a cryptocurrency that was the major driver of 2017/2018 graphic card shortages. Suck a Sage for making 2018 such a painful year for building a rig.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:55 am Reply with quote
It's unfortunate most people don't know what to make of blockhain or crypto*. This is actually a really good use of it. Especially since it's running on top of a proven and flexible blockchain, Ethereum. It just allows you to trade digital assets and have hard attestation. I think people read the headline then immediately dismiss it, when it in fact allows for a novel use:
Quote:
The proof of creation and proof of ownership for the digital images are also stored on Ethereum. The images are labelled one-of-a-kind, though images for sale can be saved without watermarks from the BlockStudios website.

Shimizu, Nakazawa, and other artists such as Mame Suzuki (Q Transformers: Kaettekita Convoy no Nazo animation director) have posted art for sale on the platform.

While it's not the same experience has having a physical collectible, you can now have verifiable chain of custody for unique digital artwork, solving the problem of copying digital items. Even real life physical items and other financial instruments can benefit from the use of blockhains like Ethereum or other custom blockchains to solve auditing, attestation, verification, chain of custody, etc issues. You know longer have to rely on fallible humans and paper trails for these things.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:47 am Reply with quote
I agree, cryptocurrency is not the way to go. I rather support creators on publicly supported platforms like Patreon and Gofundme, with real money. That way these low-income creators can buy food and pay their rents.
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
It's unfortunate most people don't know what to make of blockhain or crypto*. This is actually a really good use of it. Especially since it's running on top of a proven and flexible blockchain, Ethereum. It just allows you to trade digital assets and have hard attestation. I think people read the headline then immediately dismiss it, when it in fact allows for a novel use:
Quote:
The proof of creation and proof of ownership for the digital images are also stored on Ethereum. The images are labelled one-of-a-kind, though images for sale can be saved without watermarks from the BlockStudios website.

Shimizu, Nakazawa, and other artists such as Mame Suzuki (Q Transformers: Kaettekita Convoy no Nazo animation director) have posted art for sale on the platform.

While it's not the same experience has having a physical collectible, you can now have verifiable chain of custody for unique digital artwork, solving the problem of copying digital items. Even real life physical items and other financial instruments can benefit from the use of blockhains like Ethereum or other custom blockchains to solve auditing, attestation, verification, chain of custody, etc issues. You know longer have to rely on fallible humans and paper trails for these things.

You say that now, but what happens when the Ethereum blockchain is clogged with nothing but anime waifus and cartoon cats?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.coindesk.com/loveable-digital-kittens-clogging-ethereums-blockchain/amp/
KittyEponine
ANN Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:10 am Reply with quote
Again. Another service that deals with Cryptocurrencies. There are better ways other than this.

We haven't heard of ANY updates from Otaku Coin and this pops out. Still questionable and sketchy and I doubt these things will work in this specific industry. Get this, cyptocurrencies are a hit and miss so it it's either it's going to be a big win or a huge loss.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
While it's not the same experience has having a physical collectible, you can now have verifiable chain of custody for unique digital artwork, solving the problem of copying digital items.

Are you sure this is a positive thing, though? Artists deserve to make a living from their work, but the existence of "starving artists" in this day and age is one of many issues created by our over-attachment to capitalism. Computers have taken mass production to the next level by making many products reproducible for virtually no cost, and instead of using that technology to improve the lives of as many people as possible, we're trying to figure out how to restrict it into near-uselessness. Because our economic system requires scarcity, so when it doesn't exist we have to pretend that it does.

Ironically, blockchain has always been popularized as some sort of anti-establishment concept that would free us from corporate control of the internet or whatever, but apparently it's the exact opposite of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1