• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2018 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:45 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Quote:
[Revue Starlight] is an interesting combination of Utena-esque dueling and performing arts with a little yuri thrown in for flavor.

Alright, but I mean... isn't that sort of like describing a show as "Gurren Lagann with some mecha thrown in for flavor"?

Seriously, though, an idol/Utena mashup does sound interesting. Was hard to interpret what it was supposed to be from the promo video. (To the above, it may not involve literal idol singing, but the character ensemble and musical-competition structure looks very Love Live to me).

NO NO NO NO this is NOT an idol show. Please do not call it that.

This is a combined musical theatre / anime franchise. There has already been 1 live action musical back end of last year and another one this Autumn.

See here -----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCXUgmbxNrk

The actresses here play the same characters in the anime.

Stage trained musical theatre actresses are playing anime characters.

For that reason it is very wrong to compare it to Love Live which is a idol production of cute girls who can just about sound OK in karaoke turned in to an idol group.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Quote:
[Revue Starlight] is an interesting combination of Utena-esque dueling and performing arts with a little yuri thrown in for flavor.

Alright, but I mean... isn't that sort of like describing a show as "Gurren Lagann with some mecha thrown in for flavor"?

Sort of, but what I was going for was more that the LBGTQ+ themes were an integral part of Utena, while from this first episode it looks like Revue is just using it as a gloss. That may change further on, of course, but that's where I'm coming from. Smile
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:00 am Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
For that reason it is very wrong to compare it to Love Live which is a idol production of cute girls who can just about sound OK in karaoke turned in to an idol group.

You know Hikari's actress also played Umi from Love Live!, right? That's voice acting, singing and also performing songs live, just like the other members. I get the point you're trying to make, though.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:09 am Reply with quote
Yuuna looks fun, but the censorship/flashing white lights most certainly do not. Much like Xebec's To Love Ru, you're better off waiting for the home video release. I wish more anime would take the "just make the boobs blank" approach of Monster Musume's TV version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
Stage trained musical theatre actresses are playing anime characters.

The nine main cast members have formed an idol unit called "Starlight Group 99".

A good chunk of them are former members of Love Live / Milky Holmes / etc. idol units.

All of their music is composed by the guy who did Love Live Sunshine's music.

They gave a bunch of concerts back in September that were marketed as "lives".

Each copy of their CD comes with an entry form for advance tickets to the stage show, and there are incentives for buying as many copies as possible.

I'm going to go ahead and call it an idol show.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
My biggest surprise is how sexy this is. I wouldn't call it fan service though, this is just sex appeal done right. There is no inorganic sexy pose cut or cliche panty shot instead we get athletic boddies moving around naturally, and you know what? That's plenty hot. I swear of all things it is an almost moe show is the one putting to shame 95%of anime for not knowing that they can be sexy by just following the dynamism of an attractive body stretching withough having to shove down the viewers throats an out of context cut of echo tropes

I dunno if you saw the 2nd episodes but if not, you're going to be disappointed. The first couple of minutes are pure fan service.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:00 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

They gave a bunch of concerts back in September that were marketed as "lives".

Each copy of their CD comes with an entry form for advance tickets to the stage show, and there are incentives for buying as many copies as possible.

I'm going to go ahead and call it an idol show.

Incorrect - the "lives" that you speak of were stage musicals with 30 minute lives at the end. I should know I own the blu-ray - yes it might have "Live" in the name but it's still a stage musical.

The stage musical mirrors the anime storyline.

Edit - Here is the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gre72S5Mb6A&t=14s digest of the musical as proof.

I own all of the CD's released so far - tell me where / how / what benefit I get from buying more than 1 copy - yes there are advance registration slips for live events/ the next musical and bonuses for buying all 3 albums but no "elections" so far that I've seen. ?

A full stage musical requires a somewhat different skill set to a heavily produced "idol" live show. You can't hide behind backing tracks / lip synching. Yes there might be "idol" elements in it but a idol singer does not a musical theatre actress make.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote
While I think calling Revue Starlight an idol show is a bit reductive (and once we get to the the last few minutes, possibly misleading), I think some may be protesting the term too much. As BodaciousSpacePirate pointed out, there is a significant overlap between the VAs for Starlight and a number of idol shows/units. While I can't say that your characterization is incorrect for real life idols, perhaps at least some of the VAs for idol shows have more talent then you seem to think.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
Now I've seen the first episode of Chio's School Road. It was quite funny, I loved all the video game references in it like Assassin's Creed, and I wonder if they'll do other games in references, like TF2 or Overwatch, though oddly I'm also getting a bit of AVGN vibes to it. I saw the sample of episode 2 and welp, I was quite dumbfounded (but laughing) to see the first time I saw a vulgar word in an anime (not going to say it as it most likely would violate teh rules). Shocked

Most of the modern anime that kinda are catching my eye are published by Kadokawa Pictures, Inc., I might look at the Twin Angels series, but one of them looks like it has a Tuxedo Mask rip-off, and looks like an odd, but less successful combination of Precure/Sailor Moon or something...

meiam wrote:
I dunno if you saw the 2nd episodes but if not, you're going to be disappointed. The first couple of minutes are pure fan service.

I saw the sample clip on Crunchyroll, know what you're talking about. I've seen worse than that and I was more interested in the training Haruka was going through and finding that food-coma state she was in funny, it doesn't really detract from the plot and the humor isn't focused on that.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:55 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I just watched that one today. Yeah there is fan service in there, however I am still glad that the other sex appeal I mentioned is still present. The scenes of Kanata helping Haruka modify her swimsuit were certainly on the nose, nonetheless both the match and most of the training were very good examples of my point. The way Haruka got up the sand to run and pick up the mark and the way her muscles flexed while doing the dump for instance looked really sexy without being pandering or gratuitous.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:10 am Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
I own all of the CD's released so far - tell me where / how / what benefit I get from buying more than 1 copy - yes there are advance registration slips for live events/ the next musical and bonuses for buying all 3 albums but no "elections" so far that I've seen. ?

Hmm, you're right. I seem to have somehow confused tickets to five events for five tickets to events, and assumed this meant it was a lottery-based application slip.

gumbaloom wrote:
A full stage musical requires a somewhat different skill set to a heavily produced "idol" live show. You can't hide behind backing tracks / lip synching. Yes there might be "idol" elements in it but a idol singer does not a musical theatre actress make.

Sure, I'd agree with that. I guess it comes down to whether you consider the way a show is marketed to be the most important factor in determining whether or not a show is an "idol show".
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
Starlight never struck me as an idol show but that aside, what's with all the hate towards idol shows? Cinderella girls was engaging while having plenty of good songs, the original love live was a perfectly competent fun time. I am seeing some condescending people arguing that doing a stage play is harder or just different to the likes of in-character live shows. Well I don't know about that (except that at least the idol Master ones are not lip synched), but what does that have to do with the quality of the anime itself. There are good idol shows out there. I don't see where some people get off looking down in the genre as a whole
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Starlight never struck me as an idol show but that aside, what's with all the hate towards idol shows? Cinderella girls was engaging while having plenty of good songs, the original love live was a perfectly competent fun time. I am seeing some condescending people arguing that doing a stage play is harder or just different to the likes of in-character live shows. Well I don't know about that (except that at least the idol Master ones are not lip synched), but what does that have to do with the quality of the anime itself. There are good idol shows out there. I don't see where some people get off looking down in the genre as a whole

OK I can see your comments are aimed at me -

2 things before I get going -

1) OK fair props to another poster about pointing out crossovers - fair enough the actress for Hikari has quite an impressive work history of both TV, anime and stage.

If someone has got an extensive work history as that I fully respect that.

2) I am quite sure there are some very competent idol shows out there with talented VA's to back it up - heck I've seen how well they sell here in Japan in my local city. They must be doing something right for it to be selling so well.

My comments are more aimed at the concept of trying to compare "idols" to musical theatre and the fact that GENERALLY without specific reference to any one actress or show that it's a bad comparison to make.

Maybe my living in Japan has made me blase about it but at least in my opinion a lot of the idol units are VERY heavily produced. They recruit at a very young age and they know nothing but their production company life. If they have the looks and modicum of talent / personality / singing they stand a chance at being an idol.

Compare this Takarazuka where just to even get in to the school there is a tough exam and then 2 years of REALLY tough training to even stand a chance of getting in to even just a bit part of Takarazuka's shows let along be one of the leading actresses. To get to the top means a lot of blood sweat and tears.

Whislt on an individual basis there are obviously some very talented actresses / VA's in idol anime on a more general basis if you compare something like Takarazuka Revue there is a MUCH higher bar to get in to a musical revue troupe than to get a shot at being an idol.

And that is what Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight is about the blood sweat and tears required to get in to a revue troupe.

Even my wife comments about how much lip synching there is for idol groups.

I suppose one of the things that has recently got my goat has been how the Sailor Moon franchise has collaborated with Nogizaka 46 to produce a musical. Whilst some individual members have got 舞台 experience some of those selected have got very little experience outside of Nogizaka 46 work - take Minami Umezawa for example -

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/梅澤美波

Up till last year the Sailor Moon musicals had 5 years of heavy involvement from Takarazuka graduate actresses and then to "down grade" to idol group members playing lead roles (some of whom have a worrying shortage of stage experience) concerned me greatly.

So as I said please don't take my comments as being aimed at any one particular actress / show - I'm speaking of the genres in general.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
...on an individual basis there are obviously some very talented actresses / VA's in idol anime on a more general basis if you compare something like Takarazuka Revue there is a MUCH higher bar to get in to a musical revue troupe than to get a shot at being an idol.

That may be true--although I'm a bit skeptical, since as with anything else there's bound to be a broad range of prestigiousness and competitiveness in revue groups (probably easier to get into [random unheard of idol group] than AKB48 or something), and I don't believe for a second that any performance-art scene is devoid of shallow concerns like appearance and "who you know."

In any case, though, "my art is better than yours because it's Serious and Difficult" is a very common but not very compelling argument, in part because there's always going to be something even more challenging that someone else could use to claim that your interest is too pedestrian (high-end symphony orchestras, maybe?). And that's not what this was even about, anyway, since the similarity to idol shows in Revue Starlight isn't the music or performances, but everything else (the cast structure, the art style, the competition to become a successful performer, etc.).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Bakabon did seem too aware about the comparisons to Osomatsu, and there is strong competition in the comedy department this season. I’ll say this about Bakabon though: that was probably the most I’ve heard anyone talk about Onihei in almost a year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20