• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: FLCL Progressive

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:09 pm Reply with quote
To sum up my feelings about Progressive, I would say that it’s a real mixed bag with occasional flashes of brilliance. I think episodes 1, 4, and 5 are fairly solid episodes. The rest of the series is really all over the place and unfortunately “Our Running” isn’t just my least favorite episode, I think it’s really bad. To me this episode was just a bunch of rushed nonsense that felt like it had to tie up a bunch of stuff that was set up earlier. The other thing that bothers me is that this episode might be the least visually stunning. This is the series finale and they couldn’t have invested some time and money into making it look good? While the animation is all over the place throughout the series, there’s a lot of nice looking stuff to like in Progressive. For example, the fight between Jinyu and Haruko at the end of episode 4 is awesome and probably the best animated thing in this series besides the end credits. I just find it ironic that the last episode is probably the most important and they botched the visuals and the narrative. How frustrating.

I think the biggest problem story wise is that the main character, while somewhat likeable, isn’t that interesting. The writers set themselves up with a lot problems when a quiet character that keeps to herself is the protagonist. And what is her deal? Naota from the original series learned a lot of lessons in FLCLassic, but to boil it down he learned that he needed to “swing the bat” to get anywhere. Part of growing up is failing and you fail 100% of the time if you don’t try. What is Hidomi’s character arc? The series explores Hidomi’s fetish to violence, the idea that everything must be destroyed in order to start over, the fact that she doesn’t interact with other people and that she should probably make friends, a father who left, etc. All of these things are brought up, but not really explored. So, what’s her story? To be honest, she's a rather passive character and her best moment in the series is when she refuses to be exploited by Haruko at the end of episode 4 and puts her headphones back on.

To me Progressive’s real story is about Haruko. Jinyu wasn’t just a great new character but the idea of splitting apart Haruko’s chaotic and caring attributes into two separate entities was a great idea. If we go back to FLCL, one of my favorite things about Haruko is that her character is a lot more complex than just an insane personality. As that series progressed, even though her intentions were always pragmatic and manipulative, she did come to care about Naota and his overall well-being enough that she was willing to take him with her after her mission was completed. To explore this further in this new series was fascinating. The end of episode 4 in Progressive with the standoff between Haruko and Jinyu was very well done. That last few words between them were also really heartfelt. The battle between Haruko’s soul was interesting, but the way they resolved everything with the Jinyu story arc in this last episode left more to be desired. So there you go. FLCL Progressive was only decent at best in the end.
we love lain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
To sum up my feelings about Progressive, I would say that it’s a real mixed bag with occasional flashes of brilliance. I think episodes 1, 4, and 5 are fairly solid episodes. The rest of the series is really all over the place and unfortunately “Our Running” isn’t just my least favorite episode, I think it’s really bad. To me this episode was just a bunch of rushed nonsense that felt like it had to tie up a bunch of stuff that was set up earlier. The other thing that bothers me is that this episode might be the least visually stunning. This is the series finale and they couldn’t have invested some time and money into making it look good? While the animation is all over the place throughout the series, there’s a lot of nice looking stuff to like in Progressive. For example, the fight between Jinyu and Haruko at the end of episode 4 is awesome and probably the best animated thing in this series besides the end credits. I just find it ironic that the last episode is probably the most important and they botched the visuals and the narrative. How frustrating.

I think the biggest problem story wise is that the main character, while somewhat likeable, isn’t that interesting. The writers set themselves up with a lot problems when a quiet character that keeps to herself is the protagonist. And what is her deal? Naota from the original series learned a lot of lessons in FLCLassic, but to boil it down he learned that he needed to “swing the bat” to get anywhere. Part of growing up is failing and you fail 100% of the time if you don’t try. What is Hidomi’s character arc? The series explores Hidomi’s fetish to violence, the idea that everything must be destroyed in order to start over, the fact that she doesn’t interact with other people and that she should probably make friends, a father who left, etc. All of these things are brought up, but not really explored. So, what’s her story? To be honest, she's a rather passive character and her best moment in the series is when she refuses to be exploited by Haruko at the end of episode 4 and puts her headphones back on.

To me Progressive’s real story is about Haruko. Jinyu wasn’t just a great new character but the idea of splitting apart Haruko’s chaotic and caring attributes into two separate entities was a great idea. If we go back to FLCL, one of my favorite things about Haruko is that her character is a lot more complex than just an insane personality. As that series progressed, even though her intentions were always pragmatic and manipulative, she did come to care about Naota and his overall well-being enough that she was willing to take him with her after her mission was completed. To explore this further in this new series was fascinating. The end of episode 4 in Progressive with the standoff between Haruko and Jinyu was very well done. That last few words between them were also really heartfelt. The battle between Haruko’s soul was interesting, but the way they resolved everything with the Jinyu story arc in this last episode left more to be desired. So there you go. FLCL Progressive was only decent at best in the end.

Yea, this guy gets it. Man, this turned out painfully average. A lot was riding on this finale to contextualize everything preceding it to make for a sequel that could feel thematically cathartic to some degree. Unfortunately, the finale dropped the ball and now we have a sequel that had so much potential to be as good as the original (i saw it in eps 4 and 5) ultimately squander it's creativity due to its lack of focus. I might come back to this post to write up some thoughts regarding how progressive could have easily been a great follow-up to the original
DreamedLint

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
we love lain wrote:

No i hear ya; really passionate flcl fans feel the same way you do; that just having a average sequel follow up one of the most quintessential anime experiences of all time is an insult to the flcl legacy. While i don't necessarily see it that way (well, not to the same intensity anyway; I do share those thoughts on some level), I do understand the sentiment. Like i told you before, if a creator has a passion to honor a well-regarded work, they should be given the freedom and opportunity to take that risk. I'd rather someone try to reinterpret a work that inspired them than not do it at all. Progressive at times captured some of the flcl magic, but it wasn't consistent. As of now, my hopes for a GOOD flcl follow-up are all on alternative. I'm not satisfied with getting such a non-descript, average, follow-up to one of my favorite anime of all time

My man!
DreamedLint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

I super agree with you on a bunch of this. I do wish if they were going for a conflict between those two sides of Haruko that they did something more subtle with it. Having her fight some literal half of her self kinda muddied it up for me. Jinyuu honestly comes off as a little strict and cold. You're spot on with what you said about Haruko in og FLCL. One of my favorite moments is in og episode 4 when she caresses Naota from behind to show him how to swing the bat in his backyard. It's a genuinely warm gesture. At once maternal and brotherly. For even just a moment I think she did care about the little guy on some level. Seeing that kind of warmth from the Jinyuu half of her would have likely invested me a lot more in that conflict and subplot.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:59 am Reply with quote
I have to echo what the review said about the finale trying to wrap up too much at once. It got kind of hard to follow at times, and not because of how much was happening on screen visually. That is made more disappointing because episodes 4 and 5 felt like the show had hit is stride, only for someone to realize there were a bunch of plot points to resolve. I'm still hopeful that Alternative will be good, especially since it seems like the staff here was on the path to making something impressive.

Overall, it was decent, but not outstanding.
Flushing95

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

This pretty much sums up my initial feelings with Progressive. It had some decent ideas but they went nowhere and then trying to shove all this character development in the end just made it a big mess. It's gonna get a rewatch from me in the future but for now, this was a mixed bag.

I'm more looking forward to Alternative. It promises to be very different from the original FLCL and Progressive. I hope for less callbacks but if there are, have it make sense instead of "Oh, remember this from the original series?"
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:13 pm Reply with quote
DreamedLint wrote:
Oh boy we finally did it. I told you they'd do it and the retcon has finally arrived. Haruko was actually in love with Atomsk the whole time. Amarao was right! Should listen to him more often.

Oh, DreamedLint. For six weeks I've been lurking this thread, mildly irritated by your constant negativity dominating the conversation, but finally I just have to respond to you. Maybe it's because this time your gripe isn't vague (e.g. Progressive doesn't have the same "feel" as the first season) or undeniably valid (the animation is a huge step backwards), but something I can absolutely refute.

There is no retcon. Though Haruko loving Atomsk isn't explicitly hammered home in FLCL (but what is?), it should take no true FLCL fan by surprise.

Remember this?

Or the director's commentary where Tsuramaki explained that Haruko's bracelet was originally part of her backstory, which they chose to omit from the OVA for the sake of brevity, a story about Atomsk being her prisoner (she's a space patrol officer, remember?) and her falling in love with him?

Or the OVA's novelization, written and illustrated by Yojo Enokido and Kazuya Tsuramaki themselves, which does include the above story?

She's in love with Atomsk. She wants to absorb his power and claim it as her own. These two ideas aren't mutually exclusive, and if we take her looking all lovey-dovey at Atomsk Canti at face value, then both sides of her personality are shown in the original work. To quote Jinyu,

Quote:
Jinyu: I was once with someone amazing. He was big, strong, and simply amazing. With him, one could fly around space forever. But then... he suddenly disappeared. He abandoned me. Turns out in the end, I just wasn't his equal. I'm not enough for him--not by myself--and yet we still continue to look for him.

Hidomi: Miss Haruko's searching too?

Jinyu: You chase something simply because you can't catch it, want to touch it because you know you can't.

And that perfectly describes Haruko. Just because her greedy desire to possess him takes front and center 99% of the time doesn't mean that power is her only motivation.

Quote:
Having Atomsk just fly in for a random visit instead of being called there is pretty lame.

Did he? Or was he drawn there by all the N.O. activity happening between the amusement park and M.M.? Or did he come looking for his red 1961 Gibson bass guitar, as suggested by the old woman at the Immigration Bureau's satellite? You only assumed that he came for no reason and didn't consider either of those possibilities, did you?

And that's basically the crux of my beef with just about everyone who's been giving this show a bad rap. This isn't necessarily directed at you, but I just need to vent about the FLCL fandom at large who have been burying this show in criticism. It's one thing to say you dislike the animation, or the music, or that character development seems to take a backseat to the story, but too many of the criticisms are based on either misinformation or just a general lack of thought. If you don't like a certain plot point or you think it's confusing, don't assume the writers don't understand FLCL; give them the benefit of the doubt and see if there's something you missed before you go on MAL or IMDB and give this show a poor rating--some of us actually would like to see more FLCL after Alternative.
DreamedLint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:
DreamedLint wrote:
Oh boy we finally did it. I told you they'd do it and the retcon has finally arrived. Haruko was actually in love with Atomsk the whole time. Amarao was right! Should listen to him more often.

Oh, DreamedLint. For six weeks I've been lurking this thread, mildly irritated by your constant negativity dominating the conversation, but finally I just have to respond to you. Maybe it's because this time your gripe isn't vague (e.g. Progressive doesn't have the same "feel" as the first season) or undeniably valid (the animation is a huge step backwards), but something I can absolutely refute.

I'm sorry me not liking this show... irritates you? For some reason? I'm sorry if I've been "dominating the conversation" I just genuinely care about FLCL and, like I said earlier, genuinely enjoy having discussions about this sequel series. As much as I hate it, its bizarre existence is interesting, I wanted to hear more from people who did enjoy it so I could better understand my position vs theirs. My dude lain has been making generally positive posts about the show that are super excellent too usually arguing with my points. "Dominating the conversation" seems a little baseless.

Quote:

There is no retcon. Though Haruko loving Atomsk isn't explicitly hammered home in FLCL (but what is?), it should take no true FLCL fan by surprise.

Remember this?

Yes, I think I even mentioned it? I called it a misdirection because Haruko making lovey dovey eyes wasn't for Atomsk's rippling pecs but for his virulent N.O. It's why Haruko's personality is so dark, she makes a face like that not for a person but a concept, simply power, the literal object of her desire.

Quote:

Or the director's commentary where Tsuramaki explained that Haruko's bracelet was originally part of her backstory, which they chose to omit from the OVA for the sake of brevity, a story about Atomsk being her prisoner (she's a space patrol officer, remember?) and her falling in love with him?

Or the OVA's novelization, written and illustrated by Yojo Enokido and Kazuya Tsuramaki themselves, which does include the above story?

I didn't read the novelization, so I'm only asking now, but should we really consider that canon? I honestly hate to start debating canon with FLCL because this never should have been a franchise but adult swim decided otherwise so here we are...

One of my big worries with a dumb FLCL sequel was it trying to fill in blanks that were better left open. In another time, a better time, we could have had a nuanced discussion about what Haruko's true feelings about Atomsk were, kinda like I mentioned about how her feelings toward Naota are mixed and unclear in a neat way. But here comes FLCL Progressive up to the subtlety Jenga tournament and... OH nooooo, what a shame it's all spelled out now.

I reeeaally don't like the idea that Haruko has feelings for this giant bird. It ruins the entire subversion (OOOHH I said it!) from episode 6 where we realize how immature Amarao's perspective is and get a frightening look at Haruko's selfishness. Telling me that deep down she really just wanted Atomsk to acknowledge her? While also demanding that she exploit his power? It doesn't make sense to me. I won't deny subjectivity here, though. I had a pretty clear idea of Haruko's character coming into this, though it was only my idea.

Quote:

She's in love with Atomsk. She wants to absorb his power and claim it as her own. These two ideas aren't mutually exclusive, and if we take her looking all lovey-dovey at Atomsk Canti at face value, then both sides of her personality are shown in the original work.

Yes, I suppose they don't need to be exclusive. However, that kind of love isn't the kind that leaves Haruko in tears at the end of Progressive. Wanting to use someone for their power, or anything else they could simply give you is simply exploitation. In Progressive, it almost seems like they're transplanting Naota's relationship with his brother onto Haruko's relationship with Atomsk, kinda. In an attempt to make some cheap thematic connection, maybe? She seems like she wants acknowledgement from him, to become his equal. The sociopath at the end of og FLCL gnashing her teeth and going berserk because she couldn't absorb him for his power wouldn't want to stand on the same ground as Atomsk and beg for his gaze. She doesn't even recognize his personhood (or... birdhood) because he's an object to her.

Quote:

To quote Jinyu,

Quote:
Jinyu: I was once with someone amazing. He was big, strong, and simply amazing. With him, one could fly around space forever. But then... he suddenly disappeared. He abandoned me. Turns out in the end, I just wasn't his equal. I'm not enough for him--not by myself--and yet we still continue to look for him.

Hidomi: Miss Haruko's searching too?

Jinyu: You chase something simply because you can't catch it, want to touch it because you know you can't.

And that perfectly describes Haruko. Just because her greedy desire to possess him takes front and center 99% of the time doesn't mean that power is her only motivation.

This is kinda what I'm talking about them with transplanting Naota's complex onto Haruko. It's not 1 to 1 of course, I just mean the idea of this perfect unatainable ideal, a subject of admiration. That isn't the impression I got from og at all. You say Jinyuu's quote perfectly summarizes Haruko but it seems like that quote only fits her retroactively. Like I guess now that Progressive has told us she just wanted his recognition all this time, it describes her, but is there anything from og FLCL specifically that this quote lines up with? Maybe an example from the OVA... since that's what I watched. (Though I did read the manga but that's noncannon AF)

Quote:

Quote:
Having Atomsk just fly in for a random visit instead of being called there is pretty lame.

Did he? Or was he drawn there by all the N.O. activity happening between the amusement park and M.M.? Or did he come looking for his red 1961 Gibson bass guitar, as suggested by the old woman at the Immigration Bureau's satellite? You only assumed that he came for no reason and didn't consider either of those possibilities, did you?

But you still can't tell me why though, right? We just have theories. And that can work, don't get me wrong. But, what bugs me about this case is it makes Haruko's actions seem pointless. If he was drawn by the activity between the bureau of immigration and M.M. then she had almost nothing to do with that. She's pining for Atomsk but that takes a backseat to messing with Teenagers part 2? I did consider the possibilities, but they don't solve my initial issue. Ya feel me?

Quote:

And that's basically the crux of my beef with just about everyone who's been giving this show a bad rap. This isn't necessarily directed at you, but I just need to vent about the FLCL fandom at large who have been burying this show in criticism. It's one thing to say you dislike the animation, or the music, or that character development seems to take a backseat to the story, but too many of the criticisms are based on either misinformation or just a general lack of thought. If you don't like a certain plot point or you think it's confusing, don't assume the writers don't understand FLCL; give them the benefit of the doubt and see if there's something you missed before you go on MAL or IMDB and give this show a poor rating--some of us actually would like to see more FLCL after Alternative.

You want MORE?! How much? Are we talking full on multiple seasons now? The FLCL megaseries? I mean, why not? Let's get a thousand episodes like One Piece. Throw in some movies! Why stop there? Stage plays, drama cds, video games. FLCL lunchboxes! FLCL the breakfast cereal!

I would be delighted if Progressive somehow got enough backlash to just cancel Alternative before it even airs. Let it stay the april fools joke it should have been. Believe it or not lol, I have tried to be reserved and logical in my arguments, even if I've failed sometimes, but not for this point. I've said it before and I'll say it again. FLCL should never have gotten a sequel let alone two. Some stories should be permitted to end. There shouldn't be more cowboy bebop, there shouldn't be more Gurren Lagann, there shouldn't be more Texhnolyze. Sequelizing FLCL was never going to add anything of value to it. If all people wanted was a fun orginal story with FLCL's tone, they should have made something original. It's not like The Pillows haven't done music for other anime. (Moonlight Mile)
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:19 am Reply with quote
DreamedLint wrote:

I'm sorry me not liking this show... irritates you? For some reason?

It'd be one thing if you disliked it, but you appear to actively loathe it to a seemingly irrational degree, making bold proclamations like:

Quote:
A fitting lesson for a pointless sequel like this one. It rewrites recurring characters, doesn't enrich an ongoing story over the two series, and fails to create a unique and interesting story of its own.

...Which all completely depends on your understanding of the story. See, we both watched the same show, but somehow I did not see recurring characters being rewritten, though I did see a sequel that enriched the ongoing story of Haruko and created a unique and interesting story of its own. I can elaborate on the latter if you'd like, but the remainder of this post mainly deals with my takeaways concerning Haruko.

Quote:
Yes, I think I even mentioned it? I called it a misdirection because Haruko making lovey dovey eyes wasn't for Atomsk's rippling pecs but for his virulent N.O.

And I'd accept that interpretation if it wasn't for the simple fact that Tsuramaki said they were going to implement a Haruko x Atomsk backstory, and that the bracelet was a remnant of that idea. If the bracelet is a remnant, so could Haruko's lovey dovey eyes also be a remnant of that idea.

Quote:
I didn't read the novelization, so I'm only asking now, but should we really consider that canon? I honestly hate to start debating canon with FLCL because this never should have been a franchise but adult swim decided otherwise so here we are...

That depends on whether it means anything to you that these books come from the actual writer and director of the OVA.

I think it should.

In the hierarchy of sources of canon, it's FLCL OVA > FLCL Novelization > FLCL Manga >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fan Interpretations. Because they were created by the two men most responsible for FLCL's story, the FLCL novels are as close to 'word of god' as any secondary source can be. And we know 1), that they're consistent with Haruko's unused backstory as mentioned in the DVD commentaries, and 2) that Haruko's 'love' reaction to Canti seems as though it could be perfectly in line with that as well.

I know you probably think of this as just a theory that could be easily dismissed, but all in all, there's more evidence to suggest that they intentionally resurrected an unused idea from the original series (which subsequently was used in the novels by the series writer!) than that they brazenly decided to contradict the original FLCL.

Quote:
In another time, a better time, we could have had a nuanced discussion about what Haruko's true feelings about Atomsk were, kinda like I mentioned about how her feelings toward Naota are mixed and unclear in a neat way.

I hate how this show has divided FLCL fans into two camps: Camp A (you) that loves how deliberately vague the original FLCL was and sees that as an integral to the FLCL experience, and Camp B (me) that enjoyed FLCL just as much, but honestly loves the lore and couldn't be happier to get more of it.

I mean, I get it. Coming up with and exchanging theories is fun. But you have to decide whether you think getting more lore about Haruko and Atomsk is a good thing or not, as obviously any decent FLCL sequel would entail just that. Do you really want a FLCL 2 that "enriches the ongoing story over the two series", when that could involve developing established characters in ways that you didn't expect? Simply put, is there a way that they could developed Haruko's character that wouldn't have upset you, or are she the other original FLCL characters simply too sacred, too precious to be moved any way but laterally?

Quote:
I reeeaally don't like the idea that Haruko has feelings for this giant bird. It ruins the entire subversion (OOOHH I said it!) from episode 6 where we realize how immature Amarao's perspective is and get a frightening look at Haruko's selfishness. Telling me that deep down she really just wanted Atomsk to acknowledge her?

Well first off, it's not as though Haruko isn't being selfish here. In addition to using Hidomi, Ide, and a class full of teenagers for her own selfish gain, her vicious, sociopathic side is on full display in episode 4 of Progressive. Jinyu's conversation with her on the staircase inside Medical Mechanica was chilling, and quite telling of how Haruko views Atomsk (God, I keep thinking back to scenes like this and wonder how anyone could think this show was poorly written)--as something to be "possessed". It's love, but it's a sick, self-serving love that doesn't care that Atomsk wants to be free; she wants his power and she wants him all to herself.

Far from reducing Haruko to just a lovesick loser who wants senpai to notice her (as I've seen another critic describe the final scene), it underscores just how messed (i.e. dangerous) she really is. And she won't ever give up.

Quote:
She seems like she wants acknowledgement from him, to become his equal.

Because this is the fourth time (that we know of) that he's rejected her. The first was in the distant past (i.e. the story Jinyu told Hidomi), the second was when he "chose" Naota over her, the third was the scene shown in the credits, and now this. She's sick of not being good for him, but it speaks to her inner strength she only cries about it for a minute, then picks herself back up and decides to try again.

Quote:
She doesn't even recognize his personhood (or... birdhood) because he's an object to her.

You can recognize someone's personhood and still treat them like an object, especially when you yourself feel as though you've been cast aside like dirt.

Quote:
Like I guess now that Progressive has told us she just wanted his recognition all this time, it describes her, but is there anything from og FLCL specifically that this quote lines up with? Maybe an example from the OVA... since that's what I watched. (Though I did read the manga but that's noncannon AF)

I don't have an example that's actually in the OVA other than the image I posted before, unfortunately.

But that being said... can't you see what a near-impossible, catch-22 situation the Progressive writers are placed in if they can't make any forward movements with Haruko without slavishly adhering to the OVA? But then if they do slavishly adhere to the OVA and never do anything *new*, fans complain about that, too.

Pulling an obscure, if useful idea from the OVA's prehistory and novel, and implementing it in a way that explores Haruko's dual natures--loving and psychotically selfish, Jinyu and Raharu--is actually quite ingenious, and should have, logically speaking, been the least offensive way to progress (get it?) Haruko's character without contradicting the original series. I'm convinced that the only reason it is upsetting to some people is because they can't divorce themselves from the preconceptions they've had of Haruko all these years. Haruko, a character defined only by 6 brief episodes of an all-too brief OVA (and an official novelization that apparently hardly anyone read).

Me, I went into this series with a completely open mind, expecting to learn new things about Haruko, and I got just that. I only found out about the connection to the novels and Haruko's early backstory after I watched episode 3 and wondered if had ever been any hints about Haruko loving Atomsk before that.

Quote:
If he was drawn by the activity between the bureau of immigration and M.M. then she had almost nothing to do with that.

Sure she did! We see her on top of the roller coaster at the beginning of episode 5, a jumper cable and a box of tools right beside her, implying she was working on it. Either she was working with Bureau via the old man at the amusement park, or she was unbeknownst to them tinkering with their rides. Either way, the fact that she sent the whole class there means that she knew damn well they were doing N.O. harvesting experiments there, and so deliberately sent them there to cause trouble for M.M. She even looks in M.M.'s direction and says "Oh, they've started!", like she knew this battle was coming.

Yeah it's vague, but so are a dozen plot points in the original show. It's just one of those you could easily miss the first time and then pick up on a rewatch. Smile

Quote:
She's pining for Atomsk but that takes a backseat to messing with Teenagers part 2?

Well, she's not messing with them for no reason. Her methods, and even her purpose for being there is just as vague as it was in the original, but it's at least clear that she A) still wants Atomsk and B) wants to take down M.M. But she needs N.O. and it's not enough to use her own, so she'll once again need to mess with kids' heads in order to achieve her goals.

Quote:
Ya feel me?

I really don't, but I'm trying to! Believe me, I'm not some unmovable monolith when it comes to shows I like. Heck, I liked The Last Jedi until I read what I thought were some compelling arguments against the film, and now it's my least favorite Star Wars film by far.

Quote:
You want MORE?! How much? Are we talking full on multiple seasons now? The FLCL megaseries? I mean, why not? Let's get a thousand episodes like One Piece. Throw in some movies! Why stop there? Stage plays, drama cds, video games. FLCL lunchboxes! FLCL the breakfast cereal!

*Ahem*

Quote:
”Tsurumaki might be done with his Evangelion movie in the next couple years, and then maybe I can finally convince him to come back and let him take another crack at what he worked on when he was young and come at it from the point of view of being older and wiser,” DeMarco said. “Obviously there are some people who disagree with me, but I think there’s aspects of this world to continue exploring through different lenses that would make more FLCLs worthwhile. But it all depends on the creative team and what ideas they came up with.” https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/7/17540394/flcl-progressive-alternative-episodes-characters-behind-the-scenes

I'd just like a fourth season, man. Razz

Quote:
I would be delighted if Progressive somehow got enough backlash to just cancel Alternative before it even airs.

Well, no offense but unless FLCL Progressive, with its self-contained story, actually dampens your enjoyment of the original series... then I think that's a bit of a selfish attitude. Other people enjoyed the show immensely and would be only be too happy to get more Haruko, more Pillows, and to potentially see Naota, Mamimi, or Ninamori again.
DreamedLint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:
DreamedLint wrote:

I'm sorry me not liking this show... irritates you? For some reason?

It'd be one thing if you disliked it, but you appear to actively loathe it to a seemingly irrational degree, making bold proclamations like:

Quote:
A fitting lesson for a pointless sequel like this one. It rewrites recurring characters, doesn't enrich an ongoing story over the two series, and fails to create a unique and interesting story of its own.

...Which all completely depends on your understanding of the story. See, we both watched the same show, but somehow I did not see recurring characters being rewritten, though I did see a sequel that enriched the ongoing story of Haruko and created a unique and interesting story of its own. I can elaborate on the latter if you'd like, but the remainder of this post mainly deals with my takeaways concerning Haruko.

I won't deny I hate it. I don't think it's to an irrational degree. I enjoy hating it, and talking about hating it. FLCL shouldn't have gotten a sequel and it did and it sucks so I'm basically super validated and that's cool.

That hatred doesn't solely depend on my interpretation of the story. Just my point about Haruko does. The writing was awful, which I've talked about before and will get into later. The characters were weak. The art/animation was a mixed bag but mostly disappointing. And, judging by much of the other responses on this forum, was an overall forgettable and mediocre experience. Now THOSE are adjectives I want to associate with FLCL.

Quote:

And I'd accept that interpretation if it wasn't for the simple fact that Tsuramaki said they were going to implement a Haruko x Atomsk backstory, and that the bracelet was a remnant of that idea. If the bracelet is a remnant, so could Haruko's lovey dovey eyes also be a remnant of that idea.

It's been a hot minute since I've watched the commentaries but I don't remember him implying their previous relationship was a romantic one. I remember solidifying the whole 'unreliable Amarao narrator' thing from those commentaries too. Either way, I don't super care all that much what anyone on the production team has to say about the interpretations of their work. I'll make up my own mind.

Quote:

I hate how this show has divided FLCL fans into two camps: Camp A (you) that loves how deliberately vague the original FLCL was and sees that as an integral to the FLCL experience, and Camp B (me) that enjoyed FLCL just as much, but honestly loves the lore and couldn't be happier to get more of it.

It honestly came as a surprise to me that there were FLCL fans who weren't satisfied with the original and somehow pined for more after 18 years. But it takes all kinds I guess...

Quote:

I mean, I get it. Coming up with and exchanging theories is fun.

I don't really care about discussing theories so much as I like how Haruko's character is, sorry was, nuanced enough to have different interpretations as to what her motivations were and have those interpretations reshape how her subsequent actions are viewed. That's some cool writing.

Quote:

But you have to decide whether you think getting more lore about Haruko and Atomsk is a good thing or not, as obviously any decent FLCL sequel would entail just that. Do you really want a FLCL 2 that "enriches the ongoing story over the two series", when that could involve developing established characters in ways that you didn't expect? Simply put, is there a way that they could developed Haruko's character that wouldn't have upset you, or are she the other original FLCL characters simply too sacred, too precious to be moved any way but laterally?

Well, remember now I didn't want an FLCL sequel, period. My whole point by saying the sequel didn't enrich the narrative or characters is that there really isn't any room to do that in the first place. An FLCL sequel couldn't justify its own existence in my eyes for the very same catch 22 you mentioned. I was aware that I could be proven wrong, but now here at the end I'm so deliciously right.

I use rewriting characters as an example because it shows how this sequel can impact the original. Obviously you feel differently, but changing Haruko means changing FLCL original, when it should have been left alone. These were solid characters with complete arcs. That's part of why I don't want a sequel, I don't see any reasons to move these characters anywhere, obviously they agree because Haruko's the only one to show up. (I mean I guess we know Mamimi didn't quit smoking from the ED but that's about it... oh and someone actually boinked Amarao... good for him.)

Quote:

Well first off, it's not as though Haruko isn't being selfish here. In addition to using Hidomi, Ide, and a class full of teenagers for her own selfish gain...

But what gain, though?

Quote:

Jinyu's conversation with her on the staircase inside Medical Mechanica was chilling, and quite telling of how Haruko views Atomsk (God, I keep thinking back to scenes like this and wonder how anyone could think this show was poorly written)--as something to be "possessed".

That's funny because that's exactly where I pointed to this show having terrible writing. I quoted the dialogue a ways back if you want to check it out for yourself. I won't go into too much of a point I already made (my responses are long enough lol) but the dialogue is so on the nose. Characters are just shouting exactly what their emotions and motivations are directly at the viewer so nobody could miss the message even if they're in the next room. It's not like vague characters instantly equal good characters but dialogue should at least try to disguise itself as two humans having a conversation instead of simply being two characters just shoveling blatant explanations of their feelings to the viewer.

Quote:

But that being said... can't you see what a near-impossible, catch-22 situation the Progressive writers are placed in if they can't make any forward movements with Haruko without slavishly adhering to the OVA? But then if they do slavishly adhere to the OVA and never do anything *new*, fans complain about that, too.

It's almost like they shouldn't have made this stupid sequel in the first place.

Quote:

Haruko, a character defined only by 6 brief episodes of an all-too brief OVA (and an official novelization that apparently hardly anyone read).

More isn't better. It's just more. I continually point to FLCL as an example of how to pace a show excellently and characterize well in a relatively short time. I loathe when people say x series needed another 12 episodes on top of 22 or 13 to tell a compelling story (not saying you are just making a seperate example) when FLCL did it in 6. It's not an easy task, clearly, because Progressive certainly failed. I really do not understand how anyone felt FLCL was too brief. I don't feel that way about movies I love or other OVA's that end. Or other series that wrap themselves up nicely.

Quote:

Quote:
If he was drawn by the activity between the bureau of immigration and M.M. then she had almost nothing to do with that.

Sure she did! We see her on top of the roller coaster at the beginning of episode 5, a jumper cable and a box of tools right beside her, implying she was working on it. Either she was working with Bureau via the old man at the amusement park, or she was unbeknownst to them tinkering with their rides. Either way, the fact that she sent the whole class there means that she knew damn well they were doing N.O. harvesting experiments there, and so deliberately sent them there to cause trouble for M.M. She even looks in M.M.'s direction and says "Oh, they've started!", like she knew this battle was coming.

And this is supposed to get her to Atomsk... how? Bait him with a bunch of N.O.? Do we even know that draws him over? Doesn't my man (bird) have like buttloads of it anyway? Why should he care if there's a bunch somewhere else?

Quote:

Yeah it's vague, but so are a dozen plot points in the original show. It's just one of those you could easily miss the first time and then pick up on a rewatch. Smile

You can rewatch it, I don't need this crap in my life.

Quote:

Quote:
She's pining for Atomsk but that takes a backseat to messing with Teenagers part 2?

Well, she's not messing with them for no reason. Her methods, and even her purpose for being there is just as vague as it was in the original, but it's at least clear that she A) still wants Atomsk and B) wants to take down M.M. But she needs N.O. and it's not enough to use her own, so she'll once again need to mess with kids' heads in order to achieve her goals.

Original: MM has Atomsk, she's going to use Naota's N.O. to pull him out.
Progressive: Atomsk is somewhere. Haruko is going to get Hidomi's headphones off because reasons. She's going to try and awaken NO in the kids because reasons... I don't see how this gets Atomsk. But maybe I'm wrong. (Not like I haven't been before)

Also I know the manga is low on the canon tier but isn't N.O. supposed to be rare? Everbody's got that now. Wouldn't that make puberty kinda rough for like the entire planet? Kids just sprouting robots left and right whenever they look at some porno?

Quote:

Quote:

*Ahem*
Quote:
”Tsurumaki..."

I'd just like a fourth season, man. Razz

I remember an interview where the director or somebody said they were done with the series and they had to convince him it was worth it. ($) But either way, I don't care what he or anyone else on the production team thinks. I can't even begin to fathom why anyone would actually want FLCL 2, 3, or 4. It doesn't make any sense to me. Why can't it end?

Quote:

Quote:
I would be delighted if Progressive somehow got enough backlash to just cancel Alternative before it even airs.

Well, no offense but unless FLCL Progressive, with its self-contained story, actually dampens your enjoyment of the original series... then I think that's a bit of a selfish attitude. Other people enjoyed the show immensely and would be only be too happy to get more Haruko, more Pillows, and to potentially see Naota, Mamimi, or Ninamori again.

It's not self contained but ok.

Oh, how bout an FLCL prequel. We could see Haruko and Atomsk. We could see baby Amarao runnin around with Naota's dad in the background. We could find out Naota's mom was actually Hidomi's great Aunt or something. Heck, maybe N.O. is just tiny micro organisms called midiclorians that manifest the power of the Whils.

In all seriousness. I think it's selfish that the people who wanted more, more, more got what they wanted at the expense of my happiness. What about my happiness man? Hmm? What about the people who didn't want more nonsense muddying what was there? Frankly, I'm offended. (jk, but seriously though, nah I'm joshing you, but for real...)

This does negatively affect me in one objective way that I can factually prove. Whenever someone asked me what my favorite anime was, I used to be able to say FLCL, but now if I want to avoid confusion, I need to say FLCL season 1, or FLCL original, or FLCL 2000, or god forbid... FLCLassic.
Drauken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
The biggest problem with your review, DreamedLint, is that as you've said, you never wanted it. You're like a person who hates pizza writing your thoughts about Domino's.
DreamedLint

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
Drauken wrote:
The biggest problem with your review, DreamedLint, is that as you've said, you never wanted it. You're like a person who hates pizza writing your thoughts about Domino's.

That doesn't seem an accurate comparison. Besides, I've spent lots of time explaining my points and providing examples. I don't just hate it because I didn't want it, though I never claimed to be unbiased.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
So when I was @ AX this year I caught the tail end of this series.. 4,5,6 on AS.. and seriously kill it with fire.

None of the things that Gainax was able to accomplish to make the original FLCL unique were apparent in this latest reboot. Maybe it was the lack of Gainax itself that hurt this series, maybe it was the fact that its a reboot 20 years after it was relevant.

I was skeptical when this began.. eventually I will go back and watch 1-3 but I am in no hurry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11