• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise, Legendary Announce Live-Action Gundam Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:41 pm Reply with quote
kae kurono wrote:
well i wonder how yoshiyuki tomino feels about all this i wouldn't be surprised if he hates it & decided to shut all of this down at some point.

He doesn't have a say at this point. That said, he also probably hates it.
Luffy My Hero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
I am so glad that anime classics are finally coming into the film art form. I feel like though the bigger studios are losing out such a great IP.

These production houses rarely capture the essence of the anime series (no more whitewashing!!). All they see is robots fighting each other without a plot. The mass does not understand the backstory which can get really complex. They better find someone who knows the series to write the script.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:40 am Reply with quote
There are those who might be concerned that Hollywood will screw up a live-action "Gundam" movie. I don't really have those problems. To me,if they put the right people on this,I can't see why this couldn't succeed. Hopefully,one of the people they'll put in there is Mark Hamill. He'd be great in something like this. He made his name in stuff like this. Also,I hope they put some English-speaking Japanese people in there as kind of a tribute to it's Japanese origins. I'd do that if I were doing something like this.
And for those concerned that Yoshiyuki Tomino might not like this and try to shut the project down,I have the feeling that this could be handled in a number of ways. They'd probably throw a bunch of money at the guy or if they were wiser about it,they could have a character named after him or have a ship called the "Tomino" in there. Either way,that'll probably soothe any real objections he might have but then,it's all just pure speculation anyhow.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
SayuriUliana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:07 am Reply with quote
kae kurono wrote:
well i wonder how yoshiyuki tomino feels about all this i wouldn't be surprised if he hates it & decided to shut all of this down at some point.

Tomino may have been the brains behind the original series, but as G-Reco proved the Gundam franchise is better off without him at this point. Also, I'm pretty sure he's lost all say regarding the Gundam franchise long ago.

I'm actually fairly optimistic about this, because Gundam by this point has covered so many stories that Hollywood can create their own spin on Universal Century and it'll actually work. Hell, they can even create their own original setting that they just slap the name "Gundam" into, and it would still fit considering what the non-UC entries are. Hell, the mecha designs don't even have to look like the iconic Gundams we know *cough* For The Barrel *cough* and it'll still fit (of course that'd be going a bridge too far... )

Essentially, Gundam does not have a strict canon that needs to be adhered to or even be respected, unlike with many other anime-to-live action adaptations so far, and thus the writers and creators for this one can go wild on whatever concepts they need as long as they retain the main themes and design of Gundam. You can't really "bastardize" the Gundam setting because the franchise itself has already done that repeatedly to itself (You can still hear the cries of the G-Gundam detractors to this day), and you can't "whitewash" it either because Gundam's characters are multinational anyways with mostly caucasians in the lead (apart from say Loran Cehack).

The only export adaptation that worked so far was All You Need Is Kill, which was adapted as The Edge Of Tomorrow, and that worked mostly because they kept only to the basics of the setting and then practically did their own thing while trying to make an actual good movie. Gundam is ideal for such types of adaptation, hence why I'm not really as apprehensive about it as with other Hollywood adaptations so far. And of course, we've already seen that they can animate mobile suits well in Hollywood with the RX-78-2 in Ready Player One, so we can be confident in the visual side at least.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Also,I hope they put some English-speaking Japanese people in there as kind of a tribute to it's Japanese origins. I do that if I were doing something like this.

Yeah you can have an actor of japanese descent but it's not something you need to have simply just to acknowledge the show's japanese origins. Especially if it's an adaptation of 78 where I believe the only character in the show who you could charitably call japanese was Kai I think.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Even if they went with an entirely original story, I'm not sure how this is going to work. Gundam is a complex story with a lot of nuanced themes that you're just not going to be able to properly convey in a two hour movie. Pacific Rim only worked as well as it did because it had a simple and straightforward plot and it had Del Toro at the helm who has a great deal of respect for mecha and anime as an art form and not just as cash grab. But we saw how quickly the Pacific Rim Uprising sequel quickly fell apart without Del Toro's guidance in spite of it being a relatively simple plot. While special effects for mechas have improved significantly and were handled well in Pacific Rim and Ready Player One, are they advanced enough to handle a story where so many mechas are prevalent and can they make the outer space battles look believable? How will they adapt the concept of Newtypes without it coming across as overly cheesy or will they just scrap Newtypes for the movie?
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure this will do just as well as the live-action Ghost in the Shell and Death Note movies, which also had qualification of "it would totally work as a Hollywood movie, it's themes were universal!" by people.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote
SayuriUliana wrote:
And of course, we've already seen that they can animate mobile suits well in Hollywood with the RX-78-2 in Ready Player One, so we can be confident in the visual side at least.

Explanation #1 for this movie's very existence. (The fact that studio execs had likely never heard of Gundam before RP1, that is.)

Explanation #2: Since Pacific Rim: Uprising made a quicker-than-expected exit, Legendary apparently decided that Fake DIY Gundam weren't good enough to battle Kong and Godzilla.
chronium

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Even if they went with an entirely original story, I'm not sure how this is going to work. Gundam is a complex story with a lot of nuanced themes that you're just not going to be able to properly convey in a two hour movie. Pacific Rim only worked as well as it did because it had a simple and straightforward plot and it had Del Toro at the helm who has a great deal of respect for mecha and anime as an art form and not just as cash grab. But we saw how quickly the Pacific Rim Uprising sequel quickly fell apart without Del Toro's guidance in spite of it being a relatively simple plot. While special effects for mechas have improved significantly and were handled well in Pacific Rim and Ready Player One, are they advanced enough to handle a story where so many mechas are prevalent and can they make the outer space battles look believable? How will they adapt the concept of Newtypes without it coming across as overly cheesy or will they just scrap Newtypes for the movie?

Really they only need to focus on the pretty standard cliche gundam storyline for the movie. It'll be boring for us but new and interesting for new audiences. The begining is the standard gundam in a sattelite two sides try to take control of it and the satelite gets destroyed, then pick one of there usual middles like chasing the gundam to earth or something and end the movie on a cliffhanger with the start of a war or saving earth from a satellite crashing into earth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3