• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2018 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yazu13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Hanebado! has successfully made me obsessed with a sports show about badminton. Slick animation, impressive directing, and strong character drama; what an absolute gem. This show came out of nowhere but even after only one episode I get the feeling it's going to blow up.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping the Island would be some horror series. The Island holds a dark secret that people would kill for. It would seem to fit for a good reason for one of the girls to try to escape the Island, only to be dragged back home by her father. Little late for it to be a base for neo-modern pirates.

As for the badmidton show, Hanebado!. The thumbnail sold me, not much of a sports person, but the character design, told me to give it a chance.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Hanebado! - So far the premise of the show has me intrigued and the quality of the animation and detail given during the matches is impressive enough for me to carry on watching. There were a few things I wasn't fond in the first episode, namely most of the scenes with new coach and Ayano's personality, although with the latter one I hope the show will give some more insight into that, otherwise though I found the opening episode good.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Ohh man, all that intensity in Hanebado especially that slick OP sequence! Shocked

The one thing I'm worried about is whether all this intense drama is going to weigh the show down to a point it loses the "fun" of the sport. And I don't think having an accidental pervy coach is going to bring lightheartedness to this. But I wait and see how it goes. The animation and some of the still shots do look great though. I pray to god that gets maintained throughout and not have production snafus.

It's a good thing though that Harukana Receive is also premiering this week since I can assure that would be a good counterbalance to Hanebado's drama (unless Harukana gets overdramatic also).

Blankslate wrote:

Hanebado - 5/5 - This is such a huge improvement over the source material it's not even funny. The manga opens with the glasses girl giving dull exposition about the captain losing her middle school tournament. Then the male advisor sees a rambunctious airhead (the most generic archetype for sports protagonists) climb a tree, which makes him think she'll be a good match for badminton. Then the two characters have their match.
Literally everything else about the episode is different including the tone (the manga has a lot more gag moments and is a lot more male gazey). Thank god for that.
Seriously, even the framing of who the main character is also completely different. In the manga, the male advisor is the main character (inner monologues, everything told from his point of view) while in the anime, the team captain is framed as the main character.

Ok, this is fascinating. If the anime is actually doing its own thing, now I wonder if it will have a clear ending just enough for a 1 cour show.
Doompa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I won't be able to check Island out till Friday due to my schedule. Is this anime similar in tone and atmosphere to the Key adaptations such as Kanon and Air and Clannad since the reviewer mentioned that or is it more just the fact that it's a VN adaptation with different girl routes?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Doompa wrote:
I won't be able to check Island out till Friday due to my schedule. Is this anime similar in tone and atmosphere to the Key adaptations such as Kanon and Air and Clannad since the reviewer mentioned that or is it more just the fact that it's a VN adaptation with different girl routes?

It's definitely the latter and I'd say it's at least initially the former, too; the approach to humor and the emphasis on moe are both very similar, as is the storytelling structure. According to comments from someone familiar with the VN, it's eventually going to diverge, but we'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:27 am Reply with quote
Oh crudbunnies, I don't think anyone has picked up Planet With for streaming. It's one of the shows I was looking forward to the most. Sad
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Oh crudbunnies, I don't think anyone has picked up Planet With for streaming. It's one of the shows I was looking forward to the most. Sad

It doesn’t come out until Sunday, so I don’t expect it to be announced until later this week. They tend to make their announcements at the last minute.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
Doompa wrote:

The first episode, and the way people who have played the VN seem to be talking about it, feels much more like an early Kotaro Uchikoshi visual novel like Ever17 than a Key visual novel like Clannad to me. At this point, it's giving off less of a "humor and moe, giving way to tears" vibe than a "humor and moe, giving way to people breaking out flowcharts that explain their fan theories" vibe.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Thousand Musketeers sounds like what you'd get if you gave the NRA some laudinum and let them write an anime.
portgas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
The Thousand Noble Musketeers

I agree with the reviewer on this one. Too much was introduced in the first half. Too many characters introduced with little distinction except for Brown (love the plaid), his majesty Napoleon and the wonderful Kentucky.

My problem is with antique weapons going up against modern ones. We know that Brown may have some special abilities but is everyone going to? Maybe the answer lies in two characters with more modern weapons who we see briefly at the end of the ep. AK and Kal?
It would solve a lot reality problems but is a little creepy.

I'll watch for a bit but this genre is getting old.
PrecureOjisan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Mixed feeling with Hanebad right now. On one side it looked gorgeous to watch, but the other the MC completely ruined it for me. If she continues to be an seething edgey ball of angst character then this show is probably not for me. Another point which red flagged it for me is how it seems like the entire universe just wants to pull Ayano back to badminton. Having a similar experience in another field I just hate it when people won't leave me alone and barrage you with words like "you have talent", "you were meant for this", or whatever when I already said I don't want to.

I prefer my sports shows to be hotblooded fun like takkyuu musume or haikyuu.
pauladls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
The 1000 muskeeter is literally touken ranbu but the character designs are awful
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
portgas wrote:
The Thousand Noble Musketeers

I agree with the reviewer on this one. Too much was introduced in the first half. Too many characters introduced with little distinction except for Brown (love the plaid), his majesty Napoleon and the wonderful Kentucky.

Yeah pretty much, this. I was all in for maybe learning a bit about old muskets and pistols, and then they introduced like 20 different characters in the same episode, and...I'm expected to remember them all...? Except for the three that portgas mentioned above, I don't remember anyone's name or what kind of gun they are supposed to represent.

Now I will say that voice cast is to die for. They really got a lot of well-known seiyuu to come out for this one...and I appreciate that. Yuki Kaji as Kentucky was very well received by me (love him so much). But if I'm gonna watch a scene and remember it as 'Oh that gun is Yuki Kaji!', instead of 'Oh that gun is Kentucky!' then thats a fail. I can only retain so many things in my brain at once anime. This was overload.

Still I will watch the next episode, cause it was kinda pretty (I just love bishies), the songs were nice, and I'd like to see if they just did a dump of characters in the first episode and gonna chill out next time and actually give me something to work with. I watched all of Touken Ranbu (both series), so I'd like to try to give this one a shot.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
So now that Dies Irae is complete for streaming, will the remaining six episodes be reviewed?

Also, any plans for the recently on Netflix Last Encore?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20