• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum moderation and white supremacists/neo nazi/etc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I started replying to a different post of yours, but that post has been deleted before I could finish. (I don't think it violated the rules though, so maybe you just wanted to rephrase things) But you made a similar point in an earlier post, so I'm gonna quote it and respond.

鏡 wrote:
The fact that conversations about the legitimacy or illegitimacy of certain political ideologies are taking place in forums dedicated to discussing anime is something that should be rectified regardless of the feelings or stances of the participants or of the particular ideologies in question.

We have an "off topic" rule already, so when politics are off topic and start to dominate a thread, they can already be reported. And if they AREN'T off topic, then why should they be banned, especially as long as we make the other changes needed to make the forum more pleasant?

Also, let's be very clear about something here. In a Franxx thread, you argued, again and again and again, that saying things such as affirming "the value of traditional gender roles and masculinity" and "having a baby is the fundamental human happiness" were somehow NOT political.

You started posting in this thread with fairly strong support for "ban the white nationalists", but now have carefully started to shift your argument to "ban all politics except in very narrow cases." But given your very strong and frankly confusing to me posts about what things you consider to not be political, what you are essentially asking for is the banning of politics you disagree with, because the politics you do agree with, like "having a baby being the fundamental human happiness for all virile men and fertile women" is somehow "not political."

Banning hate is one thing. Saying people aren't allowed to discuss the existence of LGBT people in Japan because that's forced western political progressivism, but they can go on and on about how great traditional gender roles are and that's fine isn't banning hate, nor is it even banning politics. It's enforcing a conservative worldview on this forum. it's doing exactly what some forum posters are saying they're concerned banning hate would do, but in the opposite political direction.
NickPenrhyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
Cosign. All of the politically correct nazis should have their accounts deleted. Any fears of loss in traffic or engagement are misplaced given that their domination of talkback threads is an obvious disincentive for anyone else to post.

Are you politically correct if you expect other people to have fundamental respect for your existence, including respecting their comfortability in discussions, rather than devalue them or suggest their perspective is delusional? Are you politically correct if other users are making suggestions about your race, gender or gender identity, sexuality, class, age, or disability that are harmful or fundamentally bigoted viewpoints and that angers you or they're causing you personal distress because of it? If that's the case, you'd only be left with disrespectful users who'd never be confronted on how they're subtly harming others, the atmosphere would become even more poisoned, and the notorious reputation of the site would be cemented. As I said previously, posting here should be a privilege and fundamental disrespect for other people like that shouldn't be tolerated.
鏡 wrote:
The most vocal members of ANN's forums spend their time trawling the front page and forums for articles and threads that are disseminating "leftist propaganda" so that they can complain about it in winding, OT dialogues. These threads inevitably devolve into repetitive, barely on topic discussions because anyone who engages with these people is engaging in a discussion about the validity of a political ideology that never declares itself as such so as to stay nominally within the scope of the thread. The subject of the article is never the point, only the extent to which the article affirms or strays from the political ideology of the reader, and so no amount of discussion about the article's content will ever conclude the discussion.

What even is 'leftist propaganda'? Is it the same things outlined in my first response?
Views that are respectful of the value of others or attempt to shine light on a harmful perspective even if lengthy shouldn't be bannable offenses, that's absurd. There's a pattern of a refusal to take responsibility for the implications of some harmful, inconsiderate worldviews and instead painting personal perspectives that are entirely respectful, which are the main reason you'd read the comments in a forum, as 'politicized' and promoting your own as 'apolitical' in order to dismiss them. The amount people have already humored this from folks like you on this website is absurd. Destructive conditioning is inherently bad faith and puts users in a negative situation. It should not be tolerated.

When a post is off-topic it's obvious because it has no perspective on the topic. If users are truly following the spirit of the rules and are open to new perspectives that may highlight how something is harmful to folks or what effect it has, and respecting the human values of users and staff, you shouldn't have to blanket ban related opinions or adjacent topics, they're still relevant. That would effectively stifle all of it, including insightful and important connections. But I'm pretty sure that obfuscation is actually just the ultimate goal of the users that engage in this line of argument.
鏡 wrote:
The fact that conversations about the legitimacy or illegitimacy of certain political ideologies are taking place in forums dedicated to discussing anime is something that should be rectified, regardless of the feelings or stances of the participants.

Views that are inherently respectful shouldn't be penalized for this. If your political ideology is expressing any form of harm or violence against someone's existence you're not operating in good faith and honestly good riddance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

鏡 wrote:
The fact that conversations about the legitimacy or illegitimacy of certain political ideologies are taking place in forums dedicated to discussing anime is something that should be rectified regardless of the feelings or stances of the participants or of the particular ideologies in question.

We have an "off topic" rule already, so when politics are off topic and start to dominate a thread, they can already be reported. And if they AREN'T off topic, then why should they be banned, especially as long as we make the other changes needed to make the forum more pleasant?

If you read my first post it should be perfectly clear why I think the current content and enforcement of the "off topic" rule is insufficient. "On topic" political conversations are generally the best vehicle for skirting the soapboxing rule, which is why it's important to expand the notion of "off topic" conversation to political discussions generally.

Mad_Scientist wrote:

You started posting in this thread with fairly strong support for "ban the white nationalists", but now have carefully started to shift your argument to "ban all politics except in very narrow cases."

Again, if you read my first post carefully, I don't think there has been an actual shift in my argument. Both things need to happen.

Mad_Scientist wrote:

Banning hate is one thing. Saying people aren't allowed to discuss the existence of LGBT in Japan because that's forced western political progressivism, but they can go on and on about how great traditional gender roles are and that's fine isn't banning hate, nor is it even banning politics.

I didn't say this.

NickPenrhyn wrote:
鏡 wrote:
Cosign. All of the politically correct nazis should have their accounts deleted. Any fears of loss in traffic or engagement are misplaced given that their domination of talkback threads is an obvious disincentive for anyone else to post.

Are you politically correct if you expect other people to have fundamental respect for your existence, including respecting their comfortability in discussions, rather than devalue them or suggest their perspective is delusional? Are you politically correct if other users are making suggestions about your race, gender or gender identity, sexuality, class, age, or disability that are harmful or fundamentally bigoted viewpoints and that angers you or they're causing you personal distress because of it? If that's the case, you'd only be left with disrespectful users who'd never be confronted on how they're subtly harming others, the atmosphere would become even more poisoned, and the notorious reputation of the site would be cemented. As I said previously, posting here should be a privilege and fundamental disrespect for other people like that shouldn't be tolerated.

I don't understand what this has to do with what you quoted. Are you identifying "fundamental respect for your existence" and "anger at bigoted views" with Nazism?

Quote:

What even is 'leftist propaganda'? Is it the same things outlined in my first response?
Views that are respectful of the value of others or attempt to shine light on a harmful perspective even if lengthy shouldn't be bannable offenses, that's absurd. There's a pattern of a refusal to take responsibility for the implications of some harmful, inconsiderate worldviews and instead painting personal perspectives that are entirely respectful, which are the main reason you'd read the comments in a forum, as 'politicized' and promoting your own as 'apolitical' in order to dismiss them. The amount people have already humored this from folks like you on this website is absurd. Destructive conditioning is inherently bad faith and puts users in a negative situation. It should not be tolerated.

I honestly do not understand what you're talking about. I am not asking these people to take responsibility, I'm asking them to be banned or deleted.

Quote:

Views that are inherently respectful shouldn't be penalized for this. If your political ideology is expressing any form of harm or violence against someone's existence you're not operating in good faith and honestly good riddance.

I agree. Though unless the mods and staff here are either willing to do the work of explaining to ANN's readership what constitutes a harmful ideology and an expression of a harmful ideology, or they're OK with losing their crypto fash users (they should be, as they'll likely be replaced by a much more welcoming group that are currently being disincentivized from participation), being more "dictatorial" in their moderation practices, and themselves understand when a person is arguing in bad faith, I don't know that it can be avoided.

Last edited by 鏡 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
^You did, though. Textually, that is exactly what you said. You spent pages upon pages ranting about how ANN shouldn't be forcing their political Western progressivism on Japanese anime, because according to you, progressivism and concerns for LGBT issues don't exist in Japan, and then proceeded to dismiss any evidence to the contrary as "this is just Western influence and doesn't reflect actual Japanese values". And then continued pages upon pages on the "apolitical fundamental value of child bearing as the essential source of happiness for fertile women and virile men"
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
People are making some valuable points here, but can we try to avoid the old "you said / I said" type posts. If my previous post encouraged this, then I apologise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^You did, though.

I pointedly did not say that no one is allowed to discuss something.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Ninja'd!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I should say also that a lot of the frustration is less about articles or threads that seem specifically dedicated to discussing these social issues, but that writers and commenters can't even bring these up in passing without the forums being dominated by discussion of that aspect over all else. (If the show is sufficiently popular, at least.) For example, it was unreal to see how much conversation kept wrapping around to "heteronormativity" in the most recent Franxx TWIA thread when it was just a brief comment, and most of the article was devoted to a bad plot twist and unconvincing characterization that had nothing to do with the series' politics. I think that's what's really giving people the sense that they are silenced in this forum. It's when you can't even mention "hey, this one scene felt a little sexist. Now let's get back to talking about this latest plot twist that has nothing to do with feminism" without people getting up in arms. That suggests the issue is not even just a lack of interest in the topic, but that the very idea of discussing things in a pro-feminist or pro-LGBT or whichever way is unthinkable and needs to be shut down. Which is basically censorship by committee/mob (or whatever you want to call it, since it's not the majority but is just a very vocal, pushy minority).

And it's often over topics that are honestly, relatively uncontroversial outside of this specific group of people. To give an example that was objected to here: The "gaze," male or otherwise, is 101-level film theory. Plenty of reviewers on non-ideologically-motivated film sites use it. I read about it all the time in dry academic texts on such "political" topics as "constructions of the film musical" or "how landscape is framed in the western" and so on. That doesn't mean everyone always agrees with every argument about it, but there's a difference between that and suggesting the very topic is wrong. Again, it's this kind of behavior that is unique to this space and makes people feel so very boxed-in. You shouldn't have to feel that way about a very mainstream, basic film discussion topic!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
People are making some valuable points here, but can we try to avoid the old "you said / I said" type posts. If my previous post encouraged this, then I apologise.

Okay, then I'll reframe my points a bit. Banning all politics will stifle discussion. The forums have become toxic not because the subject of politics is brought up at all, but because certain posters use dogwhistles and thinly veiled hate to harass the staff and other posters and fill the forums with disrespectful viewpoints. Most of the worst threads where this has occurred, though, were in response to some sort of editorial or article that referenced at least briefly something political.

Thus, cracking down on off topic posts won't stop it, and banning politics discussion even in response to articles that directly reference politics will make it impossible for forum users to fully engage with the content here in a respectful manner. In addition, as a previous argument I had with 鏡has made clear, not everyone agrees even on what is or isn't politics.

The only way forward then is to crack down on hate speech and those who skirt the rules to present toxic views in a way that, currently, does not technically violate the rules. The alternative is the current environment, where like one ANN freelancer mentioned on twitter she had literally self censored and avoided bringing up certain things because the forum pushback was so toxic.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
The only way forward then is to crack down on hate speech and those who skirt the rules to present toxic views in a way that, currently, does not technically violate the rules. The alternative is the current environment, where like one ANN freelancer mentioned on twitter she had literally self censored and avoided bringing up certain things because the forum pushback was so toxic.

Kim is full staff, not just a freelancer, and I know she's not alone from conversations I've had with other ANN writers as well. The writers are literally avoiding bringing up topics they consider pertinent and important to the discussion, because they know the forum reaction will zero in on the one detail they disagree with.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Okay, then I'll reframe my points a bit. Banning all politics will stifle discussion. The forums have become toxic not because the subject of politics is brought up at all, but because certain posters use dogwhistles and thinly veiled hate to harass the staff and other posters and fill the forums with disrespectful viewpoints. Most of the worst threads where this has occurred, though, were in response to some sort of editorial or article that referenced at least briefly something political.

Thus, cracking down on off topic posts won't stop it, and banning politics discussion even in response to articles that directly reference politics will make it impossible for forum users to fully engage with the content here in a respectful manner. In addition, as a previous argument I had with 鏡has made clear, not everyone agrees even on what is or isn't politics.

To be honest, the fact that this problem has gotten to the point that it has seems like good evidence to me that ANN is either incapable of recognizing when someone is pushing a reactionary political agenda in the guise of a discussion about anime or is unwilling to punish it when it occurs. If either is true, then by including discussion of political ideas as OT, the forums can at least be pared down to conversations relevant to anime, if lacking in political depth. I'd rather have trite comments about art design than 20 pages of argumentation about whether there is enough evidence in a show to call it heteronormative (which, let me be perfectly clear, is actually a discussion about what heteronormativity is, and is thus genuinely OT).

Last edited by 鏡 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:41 pm Reply with quote
It's like there are certain individuals literally trying to prove, though demonstration in this very thread, why the existing moderation rules are in effective and chase off anime fans... >.>
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:42 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Kim is full staff, not just a freelancer, and I know she's not alone from conversations I've had with other ANN writers as well. The writers are literally avoiding bringing up topics they consider pertinent and important to the discussion, because they know the forum reaction will zero in on the one detail they disagree with.

Oh right she's the Tokyo corespondent, not sure why I forgot that and thought freelancer. But yeah the point still stands.

Another point I'd like to bring up is that right now it seems like managing the forums and handling everything falls into the hands of the mods, who are volunteers with full time jobs elsewhere, and staff like Zac, who have huge responsibilities in other areas. ANN should consider hiring someone to focus on the forums. At Gamespot we had a full time community manager to help out, and I get that Gamespot was a bigger forum, but ANN has gotten quite big itself, and the state of the Internet (and Internet discussions) has changed in the last decade.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

To be honest, the fact that this problem has gotten to the point that it has seems like good evidence to me that ANN is either incapable of recognizing when someone is pushing a reactionary political agenda in the guise of a discussion about anime or is unwilling to punish it when it occurs. If either is true, then by including discussion of political ideas as OT, the forums can at least be pared down to conversations relevant to anime, if lacking in political depth. I'd rather have trite comments about art design than 20 pages of argumentation about whether there is enough evidence in a show to call it heteronormative (which, let me be perfectly clear, is actually a discussion about what heteronormativity is, and is thus genuinely OT).

There are ways to mitigate this - for example, a stickied post that defines and contextualizes common terminology, without quibbling. It also ties into my previous point - the word "heteronormative" isn't a slur against straight people, and calling it such is factually incorrect and bad faith.

Banning discussing "politics" the way you're suggesting is essentially banning people from talking about the themes in a work. That's an absurd suggestion - otherwise, why even bother having a forum? One of the things I love a lot about ANN's writing staff is how they engage with the underlying themes and views held in a work, rather than just a base-level, "The animation was nice. The story was exciting. The characters were kind of shallow. I liked it."

There is happy medium between "you cannot discuss the political implications and themes of a work" and letting the bad faith arguers run amok. Either extreme would be more or less giving in to them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

There is happy medium between "you cannot discuss the political implications and themes of a work" and letting the bad faith arguers run amok. Either extreme would be more or less giving in to them.

I mean, ANN's staff could still discuss the politics of whatever they talk about. There's no reason the rules applying to ANN users and staff need to be symmetrical.

As for the readers, I don't know that ANN is equipped to recognize bad faith argumentation when it occurs - but maybe I am wrong and the mods have simply been restraining themselves.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8