• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Scrapped Princess delayed indefinitely?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop's latest bookseller catalog *just got it in this week* says Feburary now for book 6.

I got around to reading #1 and I think I'll continue the series.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
For book 6? What about 4 and 5? They would need to get 4 out soon unless they are planning on releasing all three close together.

Well, I really hope that's true. I love Scrapped Princess and I would hate for it to not get finished.

Thanks for the good (maybe) news.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea what Tokyopop is doing. I did a search on our store's order system which lets us order books and see when some are coming out, and the following books are given these dates:

Scrapped Princess 4: March of the Knight
July 2007
978-1-59532-987-5

Scrapped Princess 5: Waltz of the Castaway Girl
October 2007
978-1-59532-988-2

Scrapped Princess 6:
February 2008
978-1-59532-989-9

Our distributor never got any copies of book 4, but Amazon is acting like they have copies, and used book sellers act like they have some too. I'm guessing the book might be printed, but just no shipped out yet.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm.... I'll believe it when I see my copy of volume 4 shipping out. At this point, I think Tokyopop just forgot (or didn't care) to update their catologue and let retailers that don't specialize in anime/manga know about it. It's over a month past when volume 4 should be out and TRSI doesn't even have listings for 5 and 6. Now, TRSI isn't the be all and end all of release dates, but they are up to date and reliable 99% of the time. And Tokyopop's website doesn't even have volume 4 on it.

On another note, Tokyopop's new and "improved" website sucks ass. Every time they "improve" it, it becomes exponentially worse. Note to Tokyopop: You are not f***ing MySpace or YouTube.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
On another note, Tokyopop's new and "improved" website sucks ass. Every time they "improve" it, it becomes exponentially worse. Note to Tokyopop: You are not f***ing MySpace or YouTube.

I know exactly what you mean. I've never encountered such a hard to navigate business site. I try to look at what they have to sell, and it takes me 5 minutes to get there.
Shigi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Editor Stephanie Duchin over on the Tokyopop forums said:

Quote:
We're waiting for a resolution with the licensor. I can't give you anything more than that, though, as past, present, and future negotiations are confidential.

Hopefully this will be resolved sooner than the Kino no Tabi issue. -_-;
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
So it seems to be licensing issue. Damn. Well, at least we finally heard something about it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
So it seems to be licensing issue. Damn. Well, at least we finally heard something about it.
Yeah, and good to hear something other than "cancelled due to low sales."
Shigi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:49 am Reply with quote
Just in from AnimeOnDVD via giapet's report:

Quote:
Scrapped Princess novels MAY have been postponed indefinitely, but the person here isn’t sure.

TokyoPop, why do you make it SO HARD FOR ME TO GIVE YOU MY MONEY?! WHY?! Anime cry

I guess we should all just keep an eye on the situation. *SIGH*
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I noticed that. I've already given up on ever seeing the rest of the Scrapped Princess novels released in the U.S. Goddamn you Tokyopop.
Manji13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how reliable buy.com is, but they have it listed here with a release date of 8/10/08. Confused
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I'll believe it when I see it. I don't put too much stock in retailer street dates. TRSI tends to be pretty good about it, but even they aren't always accurate.
Apterous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I emailed Marco Pavia, the director of marketing, from their contact page (marketing people always know what's coming it since they need to sell it), and he was kind enough to respond honestly:

Quote:
Hi, Sailor Spork!

Thanks for the email – we only licensed from the Japanese publisher first three volumes, which make up the first arc of the series. We made a publishing decision not to pursue the other volumes/arcs from the Japanese publisher – it’s possible that another publisher will release the English adaptation of the next adventures in the Scrapped Princess franchise.

I’m glad you like the series, and I hope we see someone else pick up the next volumes and release them in English.

Thanks again for checking in.

Best wishes,
Marco

This means not that it was canceled, but that volumes 4+ were never licensed in the first place. There's still hopes from other companies like DelRey, but not from TokyoPop. At least now we know for sure.

I posted the email on my blog as well.
Shigi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote
This seems really strange to me since they were soliciting volumes 4-6. I mean, they even had covers done and everything for volumes 4 and 5 and I had volume 4 on pre-order. I don't think you can do that without first licensing the material. Perhaps they had an option that they allowed to lapse?

They did say there were licensing issues, so that might have had something to do with it? Either way, I am very disappointed. (It also fills me with paranoia about the state of the Kino no Tabi license. Crying or Very sad )
Apterous

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:41 am Reply with quote
My guess is that they priced it lower and toned down the anime-ness of the covers to appeal to a mass market. If it was meant to just sit in the anime section, they might have charged more for it and put brighter covers on it (like the Slayers novellas). I'm guessing the higher amount of text is more expensive to translate (take more time), and that they decided using that time on 6 volumes of $10 manga instead of one volume of an $8 novel (that wasn't selling well to boot) was a good business decision.

On the bright side, DelRey seems to be doing more novellas... maybe they'll pick up SutePri and give it a good home? (please please please...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3