• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Pilot - Hisone and Masotan Anime Listed on Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
The problem is that this choice is illegal and doesn't support the industry. Unless you rectify it by watching the show again when it is legally available, or go out of your way to support an official physical release of the series, then the problem is that you're screwing over this series because of your so-called interest in it.

Sorry, but I still don't see any problem with that choice, at least not personally.

But do you see why it would be a problem for other people? For me, for example, this was my most anticipated show of the season, and literally the only thing I was going to make time to watch, as I noted previously in this thread, so yeah, I'm extremely bummed that it's not simulcasting. But, I guess in an unusual twist of fate, I have a conscience, and I DO NOT WANT TO SCREW OVER A SHOW THAT I AM INTERESTED IN. I don't watch things because I'm bored and doing nothing with my life, I don't have a lot of free time, so I make a point to watch things that are artistically and creatively important, in general, or to me specifically. So yeah, I when I watch something, I make sure I'm doing it legally so that I can support it, because if it's worth spending time on, it's worth supporting.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:24 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
The problem is that this choice is illegal and doesn't support the industry. Unless you rectify it by watching the show again when it is legally available, or go out of your way to support an official physical release of the series, then the problem is that you're screwing over this series because of your so-called interest in it.

Sorry, but I still don't see any problem with that choice, at least not personally.

But do you see why it would be a problem for other people? For me, for example, this was my most anticipated show of the season, and literally the only thing I was going to make time to watch, as I noted previously in this thread, so yeah, I'm extremely bummed that it's not simulcasting. But, I guess in an unusual twist of fate, I have a conscience, and I DO NOT WANT TO SCREW OVER A SHOW THAT I AM INTERESTED IN. I don't watch things because I'm bored and doing nothing with my life, I don't have a lot of free time, so I make a point to watch things that are artistically and creatively important, in general, or to me specifically. So yeah, I when I watch something, I make sure I'm doing it legally so that I can support it, because if it's worth spending time on, it's worth supporting.
I’m waiting to watch it in a better quality than tv rips, but if someone is a Netflix subscriber, I don’t see how they are screwing the show over if they pay for the service. If they don’t pay for Netflix than they are screwing the show over.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:46 am Reply with quote
The above discussion aside...

As the manga remains untranslated it was a blind jump into the first episode...and all I can say is that's one way to fly a plane. Smile

If we forget about the setting, style of both animation and comedy very much reminds what a possible subdued version of Little Witch Academia might have been. A keeper for this season, at least for me.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
I’m waiting to watch it in a better quality than tv rips, but if someone is a Netflix subscriber, I don’t see how they are screwing the show over if they pay for the service. If they don’t pay for Netflix than they are screwing the show over.

Because you paying for Netflix doesn't support the show. You would need to, at the very least, turn the show on in the background and let it play on mute, in order to support the show. Just like any other video streaming service, Netflix meticulously runs numbers on their content and chooses what they license based on what is successful, and in the case of places like Crunchyroll, they also dish out royalty payments based on streaming numbers. Unless technology has advanced well beyond where I thought it was, these companies do not yet have a way of literally reading your mind in order to determine what you WOULD HAVE watched on their service.
So yeah, having a Netflix subscription does nothing for this show, just as having a Crunchyroll subscription does nothing for your favorite shows there, if you don't actually watch them(or at least play them in the background) on their service.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
But then, by watching the show on Netflix's platform, you're supporting their strategy of keeping shows hostage, therefore encouraging a behavior that anime fans have been condemning since day one and that Netflix has been happily ignoring. I'd rather Netflix leave the anime industry -given that the money they're pumping into it isn't reaching actual animators- or that they focused on their made-to-order originals instead of kidnapping highly anticipated weekly shows.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
In that sense, it's probably better to scrap your Netflix subscription all together.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
In that sense, it's probably better to scrap your Netflix subscription all together.

Problem with that is I'd assume a lot of people use Netflix to watch a lot of other stuff besides anime, after all anime is a niche on their platform and I doubt that fact will change any time soon.

So, what options are people then left with to show dissatisfaction with Netflix's 'delaycasts'? Oh yeah, NOT watching it on their platform. Whether they then watch it elsewhere or not, is totally irrelevant to the question at large...
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Whether they then watch it elsewhere or not, is totally irrelevant to the question at large...

As I have already thoroughly detailed, it is VERY relevant to the question at large. Do you want to support the show? Or do you not want to support the show? If the answer you come to is, "no, I do not want to support this show", do whatever the heck you want. All I've been advocating for this entire time is understanding why some people would not see watching the show illegally(with no intended retroactive support) as a harmless or equally valid choice. And why having a Netflix subscription, but not watching the show there, is at best pointless, and at worst, directly sabotaging these peoples' stated goal.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

So, what options are people then left with to show dissatisfaction with Netflix's 'delaycasts'? Oh yeah, NOT watching it on their platform. Whether they then watch it elsewhere or not, is totally irrelevant to the question at large...

Assume for a moment these anime fans are overestimating their influence, and Netflix won't be brought to heel. Do they simply continue to pirate, or one day come to terms with it?

It also should be kept in mind that the watch elsewhere/don't watch crowd have zero influence on what type anime Netflix chooses in the future.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:46 am Reply with quote
@relyat08 @TheAncientOne Let's us just agree to disagree, any more will derail this thread more than it already has and it's unlikely either of us will change the other's view.

You will watch it in three month's time, and I will keep following it this season. Let's both of as enjoy it in our own ways, why are we even bickering over it anymore? Smile
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:33 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
You will watch it in three month's time, and I will keep following it this season. Let's both of as enjoy it in our own ways, why are we even bickering over it anymore? Smile

I wrote:
All I've been advocating for this entire time is understanding why some people would not see watching the show illegally as a harmless or equally valid choice.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic episode. The art style does take a little to get used too, and some might be grossed out by the eating part, but to me it's a fantastic show.

The only thing I have an issue with is the transformation from dragon to jet. How the hell is that comfortable for the dragon?
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Assume for a moment these anime fans are overestimating their influence, and Netflix won't be brought to heel. Do they simply continue to pirate, or one day come to terms with it?

It also should be kept in mind that the watch elsewhere/don't watch crowd have zero influence on what type anime Netflix chooses in the future.
You don't think if people keep complaining, there is a chance they start to simulcast? So many people complained about Anime Strike and Amazon eventually merged all of the content into Prime. In my opinion what Netflix is doing is even worse than what Amazon did (I was even subscribed to Strike).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
^But Netflix has done this model with anime for much longer than Strike - at least since Knights of Sidonia 4 years ago. A key difference is there was really no audience that liked Strike's pricing model, even among those who subscribed to it. While casual fans aren't concerned with following a show as it airs, no one likes to pay an additional charge over and above their subscription. If anything the additional paywall would deter those same casual fans one would try to attract when putting anime on a general streaming site. Binging, however, does not have that issue. If anything, people who have become acclimated to Netflix's model otherwise (and aren't interested in the simulcast model for anime) would see it as only natural. Netlix's target anime audience is not the viewers who have to see everything as it airs, but newcomers, those more casually interested in anime, and those who don't feel the need to keep up with the latest shows, and they aren't complaining about the binging model. If anything, rushing to get things out to appease those demanding day and date could end up in them putting out a slap dash dub that would make those customers (and really any dub fan) complain. Considering what I've heard about AICO's dub, that seems like a real possibility and a real concern.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

You don't think if people keep complaining, there is a chance they start to simulcast? So many people complained about Anime Strike and Amazon eventually merged all of the content into Prime. In my opinion what Netflix is doing is even worse than what Amazon did (I was even subscribed to Strike).

That wasn’t because of complaints. That was due to executive level changes and Amazon shutting down nearly all of their “in house” channels. Notice the ones like Viewster, Shudder, and Showtime are still available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3