• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DanMachi: Memoria Freese Smartphone Game's English Version Removes 'Touching' Feature

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
The removal of features promoting sexual harassment can only be seen as a good thing and while Crunchyroll or whoever decided to do it made the right call to remove it, they're being goofs about brushing it under the rug.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:22 pm Reply with quote
The games interesting! As a fan of the light novels and anime it’s something to do! Though beware it’s a Gatcha game for sure! Getting that Rare Character might mean paying for it! Though they Do give some opportunity though slim of gettting things for playing it!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
Off the top of my head, advertising a feature, paying money for a game in expectation of said feature,

Not applicable here since the game itself is free.

LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
such things as the "Tales of the Rays" incident Bandai has going on right now

What "incident" would that be? Global Rays had a low player base that didn't justify further continuation, simple as that. When you say there was an "incident" it sounds like you're talking about some sort of scandal.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
(self-censorship is still censorship!)

Well... in the most basic sense, yes; but there's also a pretty big difference between a company voluntarily censoring something because they're afraid of culture-clash backlash, and an oppressive government blocking access to things arbitrarily and punishing people who find workarounds. It's far from ideal, but if you really want this feature, the secret police aren't going to come after you if you torrent the Japanese version of the game and install an English fan-patch or something.

I have no stake in this because I wasn't interested in this game anyway, but I feel like this isn't really the fault of Crunchyroll (or whatever their parent company is these days). As we've all noted an excessive number of times, America is generally still prudish about sexual content, especially in scary new mediums like anime and video games. We also, to put a different spin on it, are less tolerant than Japan of things that make light of groping and molesting. (Which the anime of Danmachi didn't really do, as far as I recall.) This is kind of a catch-22: if they take out the feature, people complain of censorship, and if they leave it in, people complain that it's creepy and unnecessary. Maybe they guessed wrong about which option would be more acceptable, but there's no easy way to determine that.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
While their handling of the situation is not great, I’m not really broken up about the feature not being included.

Really I think some underestimate the audience for the series when they go “The audience for the show wants to (electronically) touch the characters.” There is more to the show than fanservice, despite the title. This is a show that ranked in the top ten of its year (2015) and was in the top 5 of two reviewers for that year, and frankly I don’t think Rebecca would have named it her third place title for that year if the main appeal were just fan service. I’m not saying that their decision was the correct one, but I think some underestimate how many players might have found the feature undesirable.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Freaking censorship every time. This is one of the reasons why some foreign players import original Japanese games than their modified localized versions.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:26 am Reply with quote
Already uninstalled the game, left a poor review, and will not touch it again (lol) until the feature is restored. Censorship is never OK unless you have no other option. They lied, and i wont touch another CR game again unless they prove they can actually provide a full game.

Its just sad because it makes CR as a whole look bad when they have never censored anything else and generally are pro creator. And this makes the uninformed think that CR as a company promotes censorship.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
"Fake news" is what we should call this (the promise it would not be censored but it did become censored). CR is perhaps better at streaming than trying to get into the gaming industry
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:55 am Reply with quote
Censorship in games is nothing new (unfortunately)

Real issues are:

1. This is Crunchyroll, the self-proclaimed face of the American anime industry. When they suddenly decide to start being the personal arbiters of what is and isn't ok for anime, it sets a scary prescedent. You already see certain sections of the internet asking for CR to censor their releases of anime to be less 'problematic'.

2. They actually had a trailer that promoted the feature, lied about it not being censored, then when people found out went back and took down the original trailer, probably to erase any damning evidence against them, and using every weasel word.they can to avoid it being called "censorship"

The anti-CR people just got a nice bit of ammo to use in justifying why they use pirate sites or torrents. The PR guy pulled an Adam Orth move of saying "go play the Japanese version and not bothering with their product" and Im guessing some people will extend that to other CR services Laughing
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:21 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
but I think some underestimate how many players might have found the feature undesirable.

If it is undesirable then you don't use it. God, I hate the current "if I don't like it it shouldn't exists" generation.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:39 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
but I think some underestimate how many players might have found the feature undesirable.

If it is undesirable then you don't use it. God, I hate the current "if I don't like it it shouldn't exists" generation.

This 100%. I don't have a dog in this race as Danmachi isn't something I'm into personally, however it seems like a feature that was completely optional. Use it if you want and if you don't then you ignore it. Maybe it's not the best representation for the anime market and maybe it's a feature that contributes to people thinking anime fans are sexual deviants, but ultimately it's a harmless video game for a niche market and we have bigger problems to worry about at the end of the day, plus there's way more offensive material that's easily accessible out there. They should just stick to the fact that it's apart of the game, censoring it seems pointless and like a slipperly slope. Even more so because they backed down from their original promise of being censorship free.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:38 am Reply with quote
1. They lied about product features.
2. They lied about not censoring the game.
3. Their response to being caught was "nuh-uh, it's not censorship!" and then telling people to go pirate the Japanese version.

It doesn't matter what the feature is. It was something (that's not illegal in the release market) that was removed for "western sensibilities." Crunchyroll shit the bed on this one.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:42 am Reply with quote
And if you're going to censor a game, don't be an asshole about it. Their PR was dreadful on this. "We've decided that this is best for the western gamers" is one of the dumbest things to say right next to "Play the Japanese version if you want that feature". And deleting the trailer that said you'd have the feature in the first place? What is wrong with these people. They're from the age of the internet, how can they think they can sweep anything under the rug?

"After many internal debates, we've decided to remove the touching feature of the game. We deeply apologize to the users who were looking forward to this feature but feel it was necessary for the game to thrive in the western gaming world. We thank you for your understanding and hope you will continue on with us on our journey to bring more Japanese games to the western market."

Was that so f-ing hard? It's still saying the same thing but in a much more respectful and professional way.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:22 am Reply with quote
I'm more annoyed at the fact that roughly 30 voiced lines per character (the ones gained through CP lvl, 10 per the 3 characters you can be) on the interact menu are going untranslated because of these shenanigans. I doubt they're all just "OMG you touched ma bewbs!" and are probably more like the lines from servants in F/GO that add a little characterization. This along with a rough translation overall with plenty of translation errors and inconsistencies sprinkled around and some dialogue and text that is straight up not translated doesn't leave a very good impression.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote
Ragdollomega wrote:
I'm more annoyed at the fact that roughly 30 voiced lines per character (the ones gained through CP lvl, 10 per the 3 characters you can be) on the interact menu are going untranslated because of these shenanigans. I doubt they're all just "OMG you touched ma bewbs!" and are probably more like the lines from servants in F/GO that add a little characterization. This along with a rough translation overall with plenty of translation errors and inconsistencies sprinkled around and some dialogue and text that is straight up not translated doesn't leave a very good impression.

Not just dialogue... Skills and whatnot aren't correctly translated and do things the description doesn't mention <.<
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4