• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Aura Battler Dunbine Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I surprised that people are excited for Dunbine as I found it to be boring, nonsensical in character motivation, full of cheap shock deaths and the start of Tomino's creeping sexism that would climax in Victory Gundam. I said it's his first truly bad work and a dress rehearsal for everything wrong with Zeta Gundam which takes what's terrible about Dunbine and turns it up to 11.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I’ve always been interested in checking out Dunbine after reading about it in Animag back in the 80s (one of their issues was in large part an episode guide to the series, likely for the benefit of fans watching unsubbed tapes). Kind of remarkable it gave rise to two atrocious OVA follow-ups: Wings of Rean and Garzey's Wing, both of which were demolished in Anime World Order podcasts over the last few years.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I’ve always been interested in checking out Dunbine after reading about it in Animag back in the 80s (one of their issues was in large part an episode guide to the series, likely for the benefit of fans watching unsubbed tapes).

"Likely"? Animag WAS for the benefit of fans watching unsubbed tapes! Shocked
That was what made them like paper Bitcoin to us poor deprived club members, and what you would have sacrificed to get your hands on a real one, let alone Xeroxed pages of one.

(And yes, Animag printouts were pretty much all I ever knew of the series either, until the ADV disks came out.)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Dunbine, huh? I'm guessing those last two DVDs are so expensive because ADV didn't make very many of them because they knew, they knew what was on them.

I'll pass. The show had potential then it got hugely weird... and weird in how they got huge... and then...

Tomino. Just Tomino.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY!!

Whatever it ends up costing, I'm sure it'll be cheaper than the $200 some of those DVD volumes are currently going for on Amazon. This is a definite buy when it is released.

Hopefully it'll also include the "Return to Byston Well" OVA series as well.

Last edited by DeTroyes on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

Perhaps they shall bundle it with the related series and instant anime classic Garzey's Wing? Gotta get that on bluray someday, right?

They specifically mention HD and the new scan from the film negatives, so it will definitely be HD. If they do an SDBD release, it will probably be a title that they can’t get HD masters for.
Anthony Masson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
That's all fine and dandy, but can I get a Blu-ray release of the entire Brave series in North America? It would be awesome to watch a show like Exkaiser, J-Decker or GaoGaiGar in glorious high-definition!
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
I surprised that people are excited for Dunbine as I found it to be boring, nonsensical in character motivation, full of cheap shock deaths and the start of Tomino's creeping sexism that would climax in Victory Gundam. I said it's his first truly bad work and a dress rehearsal for everything wrong with Zeta Gundam which takes what's terrible about Dunbine and turns it up to 11.

I always thought Tomino meant well with his female cast even if sometimes it could come out the wrong way. Victory had Krazy Katejina, sure, but part of the core conflict was a well-intentioned matriarch leader being relegated to a mere figurehead due to the too entitled meddling of crotchety old men, could be tragic a lot of times, but he at least holds sympathy for women. Never heard anyone say Zeta was straight up BAD though, that's interesting, what do you hate about Zeta? Also, which Tomino stuff do you like?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Very nice.

I lose auctions for this TV anime all the time. Pretty hardcore fans.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Never heard anyone say Zeta was straight up BAD though, that's interesting, what do you hate about Zeta?

As someone who has spent all of my adult life navigating my way through both Gundam fandom and extremely progressive social groups, Zeta has always felt like the hardest installment of the franchise to defend to my non-anime-inclined friends. This Tumblr post represents a pretty good summary of the most common feminist criticisms of the show (some of which I agree with more than others).
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:30 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

As someone who has spent all of my adult life navigating my way through both Gundam fandom and extremely progressive social groups, Zeta has always felt like the hardest installment of the franchise to defend to my non-anime-inclined friends. This Tumblr post represents a pretty good summary of the most common feminist criticisms of the show (some of which I agree with more than others).

I suppose that is a good point that there are a lot of women that die in Zeta over men, even if death is wanton in the series anyway. I have voiced my grievances about Zeta before, some of which can fall in line with that feminist critique, e.g. the repetition of plot threads spoiler[ like Jerid getting 2 lovers of his killed, Kamille meeting 2 Cyber Newtype women who both die shortly after they are introduced (Four dies twice herself) ] and while I don't normally agree with the idea of women dying/losing in stories somehow becoming reductive conduits for man pain, I think that sometimes is misguided anger and a bit of willful ignorance to the character the women show beforehand, but in any case, Zeta's massive and largely under-developed cast makes it seem like more of a concern.

I will say I actually like Reccoa's little character arc in Zeta even if that one is also a contentious one for if it's also sexist - living most of her life as a soldier, she tries to form romantic relationships in the midst of it all so she can find meaningful companionship when everything settles because it's been most of her life already, so she could unwind with a lover and feel like she has a sense of place outside of war. Her betraying her own moral sense to these ends felt so irrational and selfish but subsequently human, I loved her honesty in pursuing her own desires when conflicted between promoting a more positive ideology for political peace but indifference to the individual versus her spoiler[ going to Scirocco to find love even if it meant supporting a murderous tyrant.] Of course, it ends in tragedy and betrayal, but also with Reccoa decrying men as manipulative and petty at the end, so it at least seems like Tomino is conscious of men being scummy and have room to improve.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I’ve always been interested in checking out Dunbine after reading about it in Animag back in the 80s (one of their issues was in large part an episode guide to the series, likely for the benefit of fans watching unsubbed tapes). Kind of remarkable it gave rise to two atrocious OVA follow-ups: Wings of Rean and Garzey's Wing, both of which were demolished in Anime World Order podcasts over the last few years.

For what its worth, Wings of Rean is a kind-of sequel to the untranslated original novels iirc. Sakomizu's the main character and gets a significant amount of fleshing out. The novels didn't even have Aura Battlers, unlike the ONA.

I really can't defend GW though. Oof. Thats a thing. Watch the dub though. That's proper comedy.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Will it actually get fully released this time? Laughing
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
I always thought Tomino meant well with his female cast even if sometimes it could come out the wrong way. Victory had Krazy Katejina, sure, but part of the core conflict was a well-intentioned matriarch leader being relegated to a mere figurehead due to the too entitled meddling of crotchety old men, could be tragic a lot of times, but he at least holds sympathy for women. Never heard anyone say Zeta was straight up BAD though, that's interesting, what do you hate about Zeta?

I'll repeat what I wrote about it from an earlier thread:
Quote:
Most of the protagonist cast is unlikable in a petty not interesting way. The Titans are boring, one-dimensional antagonists (Jerid aside and he gets wasted in the end) who aren't even fun in a cackling supervillain way with no real plan beyond committing as many war crimes as possible which will somehow beat the AEUG. It's pacing drags terribly. It's mecha battles are a monotonous blur. It has nothing really intelligent or insightful to say about war or humanity that other Gundams don't do better. It's tragedies are hollow and contrived. And it is above of all, deeply sexist. (Only Victory and Age are worse then it on that.)

But then again, I think Gundam Wing and Seed and 00 are legitimately good and better written than most of the UC Gundam series and that G Gundam is the best entry in the franchise which is tantamount to religious heresy in the fandom.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:56 pm Reply with quote
What are you talking about? Zeta Gundam was feminist in its time. A weird Tomino kind of feminism, sure, but it addressed women's expanding roles in combat.

Also, the best mecha series of all time, with wonderfully complex, intertwining storylines, complex and developing characters, and unique, interesting mechanical designs. Great soundtrack, solid voice acting, and an unforgettable climax.

As for Dunbine... I'm not patronizing Sentai Filmworks after that insulting LoGH price tag. I'm assuming they won't be charging and arm and a leg for this, though.

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3