• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scherzo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:24 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
HIs part of society is exactly fitting into all of the propaganda that supposedly comes from Papa. Whether he lives in the city or not, him fulfilling the mission given by those who rule it. But there is also this specific line that has popped up a few times about being human, that Ichigo specifically called Zero Two inhuman, with Zero Two saying "what is even human to you people". We know that Zero Two wants to be human, and that she does see her Klaxosaur traits as something inhuman, that separates herself from everyone else, that she is a part of the monsters that are destroying humanity.

Our assumption has been that the adults are pure humans, and that the parasites could have perhaps be altered to not be quite human themselves. Although, matching the theme, we have seen what the adults live like, and there is something quite inhuman about it, that they have separate themselves from natural pleasures. They only thing they have left is an appearance of being human, things like partners because that was in the past, or there were snacks but they don't need it and can get the good feelings elsewhere. Hiro is going to lose that appearance, he will get his own horns or something, and all the other humans might think him looking at a monster makes him a monster, clearly some of the humans do think that about Zero Two.

But in transforming, Hiro will likely still have exactly what makes him human, that the adults lack, and it is actually something that this society turned its back on.

That sort of reminds me in a way of Devilman Crybaby, where Devilman basically represent humans who have embraced both their capacity for violence and empathy, as opposed to the 'Humans' who in denying their capacity for violent inhumanity (by externalizing it) ultimately are the ones who perpetrate it.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I would push back, that it is not something that she does on purpose, it is an inherent effect of riding with her, which put the blame more on those who have got her to pilot in the first place.
Yes, but she shows the same amount of empathy over her former stamens as much as she does for klaxosaurs; which is to say, none at all. That's pretty disturbing. What happened to the guy she was with before Hiro? Is he dead? Probably.

yuna49 wrote:
I really like the OP for this show. it's so uncommon to hear sultry, lower-register women's voices in anime songs, especially with the trend to having the seiyuu perform the songs in their character voices like in the ED's by "XX:me" (aka "Kiss Me").
Agreed. The OP is so damn good. I never skip it.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
PV for next episode came out, it's gonna be a flashback for Zero Two's backstory. I'm surprised they're laying it out this early.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was incredibly boring. The "promise made as kids" is the most cliche anime backstory known to man.

I don't exactly know how a feelbait drama flashback is supposed to improve the main lead's relationship (to the audience), or contextualize it in any way we hadn't considered before. It would be sort of okay if the "twist" hadn't been continuously telegraphed since even the first freaking episode. But to me, as it stands, 02 is a character who's just not that interesting anymore while Hiro is so absurdly bland and generic he might as well be an eyeless eroge MC with large bangs.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
These reviews are making me like ANN less and less. Violet Evergarden gets consistent B's and now even the stronger episodes of Darling in the FranXX are getting bland reviews. Episode 13 is an objectively amazing episode, so we'll see if these reviewers just have bad taste if they give it a low score.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:54 am Reply with quote
Chibi Zero Two is adorable. I liked the picture book element which reminded me of Chobits. I am guessing that the story in the picture book is going to be relevant to what happens in future episodes. The experiments that they ran on Zero Two were horrific and it does explain why she developed such a cynical view of the world. This episode also helps to put into context several things that Zero Two has said previously since she was trying to determine if Hiro remembered anything.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
Songblade7 wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Also, there will be a Code116 who is Hiro's clone. "02" was in love with 9-Kappa (if the order is right) before Hiro.
Where did the 9-kappa stuff come from? I'm definitely curious on that theory.
The second scene in Ep1 has "02" wearing a "parasite" uniform walking along a sakura lined path with a guy seen only from the back that she is happily conversing with. In Ep6 she is referred to as 9-iota (9-I) and in Ep12 the leader of the "9s", listed as 9-alpha, explains that 02/9-I was one of them.

In one shot that episode, as well as in the opener, there are currently eight members of the "9s" and in the Greek alphabet iota is letter #9 in order followed by kappa. Putting the Ep1 scene together with that, the unidentified boy would be 9-kappa if the naming of the rest of the squad follows that ordering. In Ep12 "02" refers to the "darling from before" Hiro, so that would likely have to be that guy.

In Ep1 first scene we see what looks to be a small red oni with blue blood standing in the snow in front of the later-identified "mistletoe" tree with what looks to be an ankle-iron who looks around anxiously to see a bevy of klaxxosaurs. I originally took that to mean she escaped from the klaxxosaurs but in Ep13 it is shown as an ankle bracelet identifier like those around the other children's necks. This new sequence is at odds with the Ep1 scene so unless the show pulls a fast one (like memories being shown not being accurate or altered) I am not sure my theory still holds.

Now supposedly Hiro and 02 met as kids and fell for each other but somehow they didn't remember any of that until now, so maybe there wasn't another "darling" before Hiro (?). Not only that, but Hiro originated the "darling" moniker in the first place. And looking back, the Ep1 unidentified boy and 02 were wearing the same uniform as the current Squad13 so they predated the current and just previous squad (according to Ep8) and had their memories erased/altered (??). I guess we all have to wait to see where this goes...
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Shoot, there goes my clone theory. I know the memory alteration thing was the most obvious answer but maaaan, this just feels lazy at this point.

Yazu13 wrote:
These reviews are making me like ANN less and less. Violet Evergarden gets consistent B's and now even the stronger episodes of Darling in the FranXX are getting bland reviews. Episode 13 is an objectively amazing episode, so we'll see if these reviewers just have bad taste if they give it a low score.

I mean, its technically competent sure, but it's a story that's been done soooo many times before. I think the biggest upshot is they won't be drawing out 02 and Hiro having previously known each other any more but it's a pretty small comfort. There just honestly isn't a lot to say at this point.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:
Scherzo wrote:

I mean, to be honest it's less about me seeing them as like a particular viable pairing so much as wanting to avoid Ikuno being punished for being gay, as James has worried will likely be the case.

However, she's most certainly not being punished for being gay if that doesn't happen, and the idea that she has to have her feelings returned by Ichigo or else it's anti-gay is incredibly insidious.

I find that point of discussion especially misguided if you look at the other discussion from the SAME episode. When Kokoro basically decides that she wants a different partner from Futoshi, that's deemed as empowering for Kokoro. But When Ichigo (who also failed to properly pilot with the MALE Hiro) decides SHE doesn't return Ikuno's affections, well that's homophobic.

There's also an interesting question to ask about 02's previous partners. The only one we see is CLEARLY older than the current cast. If we accept from ep 13 that 02 is basically the same age as Hiro, there's potentially a point there about older men getting destroyed by younger women.... so to speak. (or maybe more accurately, their sexual escapades with younger women)
Scherzo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Mojave wrote:
Scherzo wrote:

I mean, to be honest it's less about me seeing them as like a particular viable pairing so much as wanting to avoid Ikuno being punished for being gay, as James has worried will likely be the case.

However, she's most certainly not being punished for being gay if that doesn't happen, and the idea that she has to have her feelings returned by Ichigo or else it's anti-gay is incredibly insidious.

I find that point of discussion especially misguided if you look at the other discussion from the SAME episode. When Kokoro basically decides that she wants a different partner from Futoshi, that's deemed as empowering for Kokoro. But When Ichigo (who also failed to properly pilot with the MALE Hiro) decides SHE doesn't return Ikuno's affections, well that's homophobic.

It's not a question of being homophobic so much as setting up Ikuno to suffer because of her sexual identity. It all depends on how it plays out of course, but it sort of feels several decades behind the times wrt handling gay/lesbian things.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I still don't get why some people are so hung up on the homosexuality aspect when it's obvious it's not really important. Mitsuru's not even gay. His interest in wanting to pilot with Hiro comes from his admiration of him, not from an sort of sexual attraction. The only one who's gay is Ikuno and even that isn't set in stone until we get a better look at her later. Honestly, people are way too eager to jump on this as representation when it's only tangential at best.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I still don't get why some people are so hung up on the homosexuality aspect when it's obvious it's not really important. Mitsuru's not even gay. His interest in wanting to pilot with Hiro comes from his admiration of him, not from an sort of sexual attraction. The only one who's gay is Ikuno and even that isn't set in stone until we get a better look at her later. Honestly, people are way too eager to jump on this as representation when it's only tangential at best.

This whole anime's spiel is about identity, relationships and sexuality; it's completely fair game to critique how it portrays it.
Crext

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
That latest episode was such a gem!
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Scherzo wrote:
It's not a question of being homophobic so much as setting up Ikuno to suffer because of her sexual identity. It all depends on how it plays out of course, but it sort of feels several decades behind the times wrt handling gay/lesbian things.

HOW exactly is Ikuno suffering because of her identity? Right now at least HALF the cast is suffering from "unrequited" feelings for someone else. If we remove 02+Hiro from the equation for a moment (as the obvious "primary" characters) the only ones who POSSIBLY have mutual attraction at present is Miku+Zorome. (Goro+Ichigo looks like they might get there EVENTUALLY, but Ichigo is clearly still at least somewhat hung up on Hiro)

I've been pondering that considering how everything has played out so far, altho the "sex" metaphor is pretty obvious, it seems likely that the FRANXX piloting is a more apt metaphor for INTIMACY. (which also brings up an interesting consideration of how people often confuse sex with intimacy) At present, it makes sense that Ichigo is ok with Goro, because they give and receive as the other prefers. Ichigo is ok with Mitsuru because she doesn't give him a lot, but he doesn't ask for a lot. Ichigo fails with Hiro because she wants a lot from him, but he doesn't want to give a lot to her. Same with Ikuno in reverse. Ikuno functions with both Mitsuru and Futoshi because she doesn't give much, but neither of them asks a lot of her. Futoshi (especially) and Mitsuru function well with Kokoro because SHE gives a lot. The wildcards are Miku & Zorome, it'd be interesting to see either of them with anyone else, since they have different personalities from the others. Miku & Zorome are the only pair that seem uniquely co-dependent in a sense.

Also, it seems a little ridiculous to find fault with someone not getting the best result from an alternate sexual "identity" when you consider that outside of our core cast it doesn't seem like any kids are allowed ANY "identity", as it is CONSTANTLY remarked that its unusual that the leads even have their own NAMES. It's actually one of my big problems with "dystopian setting" stories, how MOST of the populace is suffering and miserable simply as a baseline of existence, so again, I don't see why Ikuno's particular brand of "suffering" should be elevated. I expect them to destroy the status quo by the end, but as it stands NONE of these kids are expected to survive to adulthood and (if the world was unchanged) would be unlikely to EVER "really" have sex (of any kind) from what we've seen.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Now supposedly Hiro and 02 met as kids and fell for each other but somehow they didn't remember any of that until now, so maybe there wasn't another "darling" before Hiro (?).
It is still a bit unclear but I think that Hiro had his memories erased while Zero Two had her memories altered to make her think that the boy had died.

HeeroTX wrote:
There's also an interesting question to ask about 02's previous partners. The only one we see is CLEARLY older than the current cast.
It was briefly mentioned in one of the early episodes that Hiro was unusual in that unlike the others who piloted with Zero Two that there was no signs of accelerated aging.

HeeroTX wrote:
It's actually one of my big problems with "dystopian setting" stories, how MOST of the populace is suffering and miserable simply as a baseline of existence, so again, I don't see why Ikuno's particular brand of "suffering" should be elevated.
Considering the horrible experiments, memory alteration, and disappearing parasites it does seem like there is plenty of people that have suffered in this story.

Last edited by Chrono1000 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 124